NASSAU, BAHAMAS The Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of the 40 Financial Action Task Force (FATF) recommendations and continues to take the appropriate measures to ensure that The Bahamas adheres to international best practices, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance K Peter Turnquest said yesterday.
Turnquest spoke at a Bahamas Financial Services Board (BFSB) Financial Crime and Tax Enforcement Seminar.
At every level, The Bahamas is doing its part in the global effort to tackle harmful tax practices and dismantle artificial tax practices, he said.
We have worked diligently to demonstrate our commitment at the highest political level. The same applies to our efforts with financial crimes such as tax evasion and money laundering. Just this week, the FATF Plenary is in session in Paris, and the Attorney General is leading a delegation to represent The Bahamas.
The FATF is considered the global standard-setter in combating money laundering and terrorism financing.
Turnquest stated that for better or better or worse, The Bahamas is part of a global multilateral process by which national governments collectively review, investigate and prosecute financial crimes and non-compliance matters.
It is incumbent upon us to be at the forefront of industry developments and proactive in our efforts to secure and strengthen our position as a global financial center, he said.
He noted that this week the European Union announced that The Bahamas was removed from its tax watch list, as itsEconomic and Financial Affairs Council completely removed The Bahamas from its List of Non-Cooperative Jurisdictions for Tax Purposes.
This is confirmation that The Bahamas has implemented the necessary reforms to meet the EU criteria on tax governance and cooperation on tax matters. It is confirmation that The Bahamas financial services industry is stable and governed by a sound regulatory regime.
The Bahamas was placed on the EUs Annex II greylist in March of last year.
While different from the more serious Annex I blacklist, The Bahamas was still subject to ongoing monitoring by the EU with respect to the implementation of economic substance requirements.
With the EUs decision this week, The Bahamas has addressed all of the concerns on economic substance, removal of preferential exemptions and automatic exchange of tax information, Turnquest continued.
The Government welcomes the decision and the positive impact it should have on growth to investor confidence in the industry.
He also noted that taxation of the digital economy is the next frontier for global regulatory reform.
In fact, at the G20 Riyadh Summit later this year, nations with some of the largest economies in the world are expected to vote in support of a new system of taxation rights allocation, Turnquest said.
The new system intends to prevent multinational companies from diverting taxable income to low tax jurisdictions by imposing minimum tax levels on their global income. There is no doubt, the introduction of a global minimum corporate tax rate will have an impact in the medium and long term on all countries, including The Bahamas. It will have future implications for our participation in the global economy.
Now is therefore the time to plan and prepare so that we can exercise influence, and better adapt to the new possible realities, he added.
- About 70 animals rescued from Bahamas, brought to Indian River County - TCPalm - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation Prepares For Phase 1 Reopening June 15 - PRNewswire - June 17th, 2020
- Unraveling The Mysterious Death of Sir Harry Oakes in the Bahamas - dujour.com - June 17th, 2020
- Op-Ed: It's better in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Jamaica and Bahamas officially reopen for tourists, nationals Here's what to expect - Face2Face Africa - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Oil and Gas Market Outlook to 2023-Strategic Analysis, Insights, Forecasts and Opportunities in Bahamas - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- No negative test, no entry: Doctors weigh in on reopening Phase 2 - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Atlantis to start phased reopening July 7 EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Johnson: Missed WTO targets not the focus - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- INSIGHT: It's only a matter of time before we pay the price for our shameful silence - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- All the Caribbean countries that are currently open for tourism - Time Out - June 17th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Leave no island behind - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- 'Meals on Wheels' programme rolls on with bank's support - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas becomes the jurisdiction of wealthy Forex brokers - Forex News Now - June 17th, 2020
- People seem to kill at the drop of a hat - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- Govt. looking to mandate the use of masks in public spaces - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- RBC unveils second phase of COVID-19 relief - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- BUT: Some teachers return to school what now? - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Announces Borders Reopening to Travelers on July 1 - TravelPulse - June 1st, 2020
- Breaking: SC of The Bahamas to Implement Massive Regulatory Changes - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Where I played: The Abaco Club is Bahamas golf (and living) at its best - Golf.com - June 1st, 2020
- Joy Jibrilu: From Working with Lenny Kravitz to Virtual Visits, the Creative Ways the Bahamas Director of Tourism is Keeping the Region Top of Mind... - June 1st, 2020
- Sailing vloggers defend isolation in Bahamian waters - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- BPC sets new date for oil exploration in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- PHASE 3: Churches, gaming houses, and some island beaches open - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Bahamas Petroleum Company highlights strong financial position as it awaits Perseverance exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- RBDF probing reports of couple isolating on uninhabited island - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Small Cap Movers: Bahamas Petroleum rockets after scheduling start of exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- MOFA marks anniversary of Turin deaths, investigations still ongoing - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Government to appeal historic Bahamian court ruling on citizenship - NYCaribNews - May 29th, 2020
- Severe weather warning for Central and Northwest Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Caribbean community organizations call for decisive action to end homophobic abuse and cyberbullying - UNAIDS - May 29th, 2020
- Commodore: Border patrol strategies expected to cont. to deter illegal landings - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Battered Caribbean prepares for hurricanes amid pandemic - The Republic - May 29th, 2020
- Fiscal deficit projected to climb to $1.3 billion EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- U.S. will not repatriate citizens still in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Cutler is waiting out the outbreak in The Bahamas - NBCSports.com - April 11th, 2020
- First Coast couple locked down in their boat home in the Bahamas - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - April 11th, 2020
- Spring break during the coronavirus pandemic: 'It's the opposite of the Bahamas' - Reading Eagle - April 11th, 2020
- Govt gives cash to help Bahamians stuck in US - Bahamas Tribune - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas credit bureau still a work in progress - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas Embassy informs seized medical supplies released with help from US Embassy - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Niki & Gabi Are Taking Over the Bahamas in New AwesomenessTV Series - Celeb Secrets - April 11th, 2020
- 100000 Students in The Bahamas served with virtual Education; Minister's remarks - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Another case, another death for The Bahamas on Thursday, reports Health Minister - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Corrections commiss. satisfied with COVID-19 protocols to safeguard inmates and officers - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- US citizens urged to leave now - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Carmelo Anthony: LeBron James saved my life during trip to Bahamas - syracuse.com - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Luxury bunkers and private islands how the rich are self-isolating from the coronavirus - CNBC - March 31st, 2020
- New case of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Report: 600 being tracked in The Bahamas for signs of COVID-19 - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas Striping donates protective gear to help combat COVID-19 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- More than 700 COVID-19 cases in the region - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- UPDATED: Fifth case of COVID-19 is in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas native named UCF president - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Johnson warns Immigration permits at stake for breach of COVID-19 orders - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- One More Confirmed Case of COVID-19 and Amendments to the Bahamas Ministry of Health's COVID-19 Dashboard - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Nearly $15 million of $20 million small business loan programme requested to-date - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- MFA advice to Bahamian Nationals abroad and Foreign Nationals in country after Bahamas border closure - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas | Facts, History & News - March 5th, 2020
- Inside Kylie Jenners Lavish Bahamas Vacation Rental - Architectural Digest - March 5th, 2020
- Storm-ravaged Bahamas rebuilding its power grid with emphasis on solar energy - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas Races Ahead With Its 'Sand Dollar' Digital Currency - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Beautiful Bimini: A Photo Guide to the Tiny Island in the Bahamas - TravelPulse - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas and Bologna Go On the Offensive to Battle Coronavirus Concerns - TravelPulse Canada - March 5th, 2020
- Two charged in connection with murder on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Media in the Digital Age Bahamas Press Club Stages Awards Ceremony - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas braves the elements on mainline trip - Keighley News - March 5th, 2020
- First Solar To Grid In Ragged Island makes '60 Minutes' Appearance - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Lemon Shark Gets a Snout Rub by Conservationist in the Bahamas - Yahoo News UK - March 5th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner shows off her new 'bronde' locks in the Bahamas - Goss.ie - March 5th, 2020
- Govt. working on transition to cashless society - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2020
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020