NASSAU, BAHAMAS The Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of the 40 Financial Action Task Force (FATF) recommendations and continues to take the appropriate measures to ensure that The Bahamas adheres to international best practices, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance K Peter Turnquest said yesterday.
Turnquest spoke at a Bahamas Financial Services Board (BFSB) Financial Crime and Tax Enforcement Seminar.
At every level, The Bahamas is doing its part in the global effort to tackle harmful tax practices and dismantle artificial tax practices, he said.
We have worked diligently to demonstrate our commitment at the highest political level. The same applies to our efforts with financial crimes such as tax evasion and money laundering. Just this week, the FATF Plenary is in session in Paris, and the Attorney General is leading a delegation to represent The Bahamas.
The FATF is considered the global standard-setter in combating money laundering and terrorism financing.
Turnquest stated that for better or better or worse, The Bahamas is part of a global multilateral process by which national governments collectively review, investigate and prosecute financial crimes and non-compliance matters.
It is incumbent upon us to be at the forefront of industry developments and proactive in our efforts to secure and strengthen our position as a global financial center, he said.
He noted that this week the European Union announced that The Bahamas was removed from its tax watch list, as itsEconomic and Financial Affairs Council completely removed The Bahamas from its List of Non-Cooperative Jurisdictions for Tax Purposes.
This is confirmation that The Bahamas has implemented the necessary reforms to meet the EU criteria on tax governance and cooperation on tax matters. It is confirmation that The Bahamas financial services industry is stable and governed by a sound regulatory regime.
The Bahamas was placed on the EUs Annex II greylist in March of last year.
While different from the more serious Annex I blacklist, The Bahamas was still subject to ongoing monitoring by the EU with respect to the implementation of economic substance requirements.
With the EUs decision this week, The Bahamas has addressed all of the concerns on economic substance, removal of preferential exemptions and automatic exchange of tax information, Turnquest continued.
The Government welcomes the decision and the positive impact it should have on growth to investor confidence in the industry.
He also noted that taxation of the digital economy is the next frontier for global regulatory reform.
In fact, at the G20 Riyadh Summit later this year, nations with some of the largest economies in the world are expected to vote in support of a new system of taxation rights allocation, Turnquest said.
The new system intends to prevent multinational companies from diverting taxable income to low tax jurisdictions by imposing minimum tax levels on their global income. There is no doubt, the introduction of a global minimum corporate tax rate will have an impact in the medium and long term on all countries, including The Bahamas. It will have future implications for our participation in the global economy.
Now is therefore the time to plan and prepare so that we can exercise influence, and better adapt to the new possible realities, he added.
- US citizens urged to leave now - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Carmelo Anthony: LeBron James saved my life during trip to Bahamas - syracuse.com - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Luxury bunkers and private islands how the rich are self-isolating from the coronavirus - CNBC - March 31st, 2020
- New case of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Report: 600 being tracked in The Bahamas for signs of COVID-19 - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas Striping donates protective gear to help combat COVID-19 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- More than 700 COVID-19 cases in the region - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- UPDATED: Fifth case of COVID-19 is in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas native named UCF president - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Johnson warns Immigration permits at stake for breach of COVID-19 orders - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- One More Confirmed Case of COVID-19 and Amendments to the Bahamas Ministry of Health's COVID-19 Dashboard - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Nearly $15 million of $20 million small business loan programme requested to-date - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- MFA advice to Bahamian Nationals abroad and Foreign Nationals in country after Bahamas border closure - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas | Facts, History & News - March 5th, 2020
- Inside Kylie Jenners Lavish Bahamas Vacation Rental - Architectural Digest - March 5th, 2020
- Storm-ravaged Bahamas rebuilding its power grid with emphasis on solar energy - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas Races Ahead With Its 'Sand Dollar' Digital Currency - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Beautiful Bimini: A Photo Guide to the Tiny Island in the Bahamas - TravelPulse - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas and Bologna Go On the Offensive to Battle Coronavirus Concerns - TravelPulse Canada - March 5th, 2020
- Two charged in connection with murder on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Media in the Digital Age Bahamas Press Club Stages Awards Ceremony - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas braves the elements on mainline trip - Keighley News - March 5th, 2020
- First Solar To Grid In Ragged Island makes '60 Minutes' Appearance - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Lemon Shark Gets a Snout Rub by Conservationist in the Bahamas - Yahoo News UK - March 5th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner shows off her new 'bronde' locks in the Bahamas - Goss.ie - March 5th, 2020
- Govt. working on transition to cashless society - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2020
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- FIBA qualifier: Bahamas will have 10 players against Mexico - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Antigua, the Caribbean's Best Historic Hotels - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Jack Nicklaus' New Residence Club Is Coming to The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Society-Wide Effort Needed to Elevate Skill Levels to Global Norms, says Bahamas Education Minister - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas back as 'least corrupt in the Caribbean' - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Family Hotel in St Lucia Helps Family Islands in Bahamas - St. Lucia News From The Voice St. Lucia - The Voice St. Lucia - January 27th, 2020
- Team Bahamas 6th overall - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas Defence Force investigates bodies washed ashore near Ragged Island - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Transparency International: The Bahamas least corrupt in region - Loop News Barbados - January 27th, 2020
- Larry Birkhead Wishes He Went to Bahamas Before Anna Nicole Smith Died: 'She'd Still Be Here' - FOX10 News - January 18th, 2020
- Sea level rise threat to 15% of Bahamas' GDP - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions CEO Gappelberg to pitch company at investor confab in Bahamas - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas 'top of the heap' before Dorian - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- A Travel Guide To The Bahamas: 15 Things Not To Miss Out On - TheTravel - January 18th, 2020
- Just Under Half the Value of Hurricane Dorian Losses and Damage in The Bahamas is Pledged for Recovery Efforts - Caribbean360.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas travel guide: All the things to do and not miss out on at these Carribean islands - Republic World - Republic World - January 18th, 2020
- Gainey wins The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - SCNow - January 16th, 2020
- Gainey takes third-round lead at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - pgatour.com - January 16th, 2020
- Bahamas Government 'considering its options' for Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - January 16th, 2020
- Supplies to be donated to the Bahamas | Featured Content - Suncoast News - January 16th, 2020
- Three Rescued from Sinking Tug Off Andros Island, Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - January 16th, 2020
- The 21st-ranked Gators open up season in the Bahamas - The Independent Florida Alligator - January 16th, 2020
- Columbus' Claims of Cannibal Raids May Have Been True After All - Livescience.com - January 16th, 2020
- United Airlines pilots mark bar mitzvah, dance with rabbi post-landing in Bahamas - JNS.org - January 16th, 2020
- RBC regional exec: Bank is committed to The Bahamas long term - EyeWitness News - January 16th, 2020
- House Hunting in the Bahamas: Comfort on the Waters of Nassau - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- The Bahamas Is Recovering From One Of The Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes On Record - Its Hard - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Chronic Disease, Injuries, and Mental Health Issues: The Bahamas' Challenging Future - Direct Relief - December 18th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Island still struggling to recover more than three months after Hurricane Dorian - ABC Action News - December 18th, 2019
- Bulls arrive in the Bahamas - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 18th, 2019