The spray tan is gone, and the suntan is on. The bleached highlights are out, and the gray is growing in.
Some of former President Donald Trump's extra weight is off, too, thanks to better eating habits and a near-religious regimen of daily golf in the Florida sunshine.
"He has lost 15 pounds since he left the White House," said one Trump advisor who spoke with the former president about his health recently.
The advisor added, "The secret to his success is a little bit of golf and a whole lot of endorsements" a reference to the stamps of political approval that the former president has recently bestowed on a string of supportive Republicans.
The weight loss is no small feat for a 74-year-old man whose June physical-exam report pegged his poundage at 244 over the clinical threshold for obesity.
Other advisors who have met recently with Trump told Insider the former president looks happier, healthier, and even svelte relatively speaking since leaving Washington in January under the cloud of a second impeachment trial.
"He was eating all those M&M's on [Air Force One] all the time," said one advisor who's watched Trump trim down since leaving Washington. "He's a big man with a big frame, and he's lost a lot of weight. I can't tell you how much, but it's a lot. You can see it in his suits."
A former advisor, who met with Trump last week during a spate of dinner meetings and fundraisers at Mar-a-Lago, said Trump looked like he had lost 20 pounds.
"When I saw him, he looked healthier and in better physical condition than I had seen him in a long time," said a third advisor who visited Trump recently.
A slimmer Trump has Republicans wondering if the former president is already plotting a serious run for the White House again in 2024 something he and his advisors continue to mull, with little impetus to make a firm decision before the 2022 elections.
"I think there's an extra 10% to 15% chance he runs if he lost 20 pounds," one veteran Republican strategist told Insider.
None of the advisors or Republican strategists who spoke with Insider for this story said that Trump had surgery or other special weight-loss procedures to lose the weight. They attributed the weight loss to golf, regular meals, and Florida sunshine. (The advisors did not say, to a pound, how much Trump now weighs.)
President Donald Trump prior to his Marine One departure from the South Lawn of the White House on July 29. Alex Wong/Getty Images
Trump has closely guarded details about his health for years.
He routinely projected strength and vitality as a businessman and entertainer, even grappling on the ground with Vince McMahon the husband of Linda McMahon, who went on to head Trump's Small Business Administration during a World Wrestling Entertainment show in 2007. He's also harbored unconventional views about exercise.
Even as Trump and his former physicians promised he was a paragon of health, Trump's own aides detailed a junk-food diet that would give almost anyone the dreaded COVID-15.
Throughout the 2016 campaign, his aides rushed to grocery stores to pick up Oreos, Diet Cokes, and other junk food. As he lived the campaign life, he packed on the pounds like many other veterans of presidential slogs.
Trump's semi-official McDonald's order of two Big Macs, two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches, and a chocolate milkshake rivaled the menu of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.
But the official word from Trump's doctors was that he remained in peak physical condition.
In 2016, Trump's former physician, Harold Bornstein, drafted a doctor's note attesting to Trump's "extraordinary" physical condition. The note didn't sound as though it had been written by a physician, and two years later, Bornstein said that Trump had dictated the note to him and that he had falsely claimed it as his own.
In January 2018, the White House physician at the time, Ronny Jackson, delivered a positively glowing assessment of Trump's health. A few months later, Trump nominated Jackson to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs. And when Jackson ran for Congress last year, Trump supported his bid.
Trump has stoked fears about his health before. His halting walk down a ramp last June and his awkwardness taking drinks of water led to extensive questions about his health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
It also led reporters and others to recall the many unsubstantiated attacks Trump launched against his 2016 presidential opponents, such as mocking Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida for drinking water awkwardly and insinuating that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton was hiding a disease or ailment.
And after playing with fire throughout the pandemic, such as attending campaign events with few safety protocols and turning the White House itself into a coronavirus hot spot, Trump eventually caught the coronavirus himself.
Trump was hospitalized and almost placed on a ventilator, despite assurances his symptoms were mild.
Trump left Washington three months ago under a truly historic cloud of darkness.
His January 6 rally, during which he pushed the lie that the 2020 election was stolen from him, spurred many of his supporters there to attack the Capitol while members of Congress certified electoral votes that declared Democrat Joe Biden president.
A week later, the Democrat-led House impeached Trump for a second time, charging him with inciting the January 6 attack. Detractors said Trump had become hazardous to the health of democracy.
On January 20, Trump left Washington at a sparsely attended and decidedly low-energy ceremony at Joint Base Andrews.
But if there is a silver lining for Trump, it's that leaving Washington gave him some rest and something close to normalcy.
Trump has been golfing even more than when he was president, a stark tally that The Washington Post counted as 261 rounds played over his four years in office.
Trump's sense of humor, meanwhile, has emerged in a way that was rarely present in the White House, advisors told Insider.
Advisors also said Trump's forced departure from Twitter and Facebook, immediately after the January 6 attack on the Capitol, has eased his mind and curbed his middle-of-the-night tweet rages.
"The president is feeling great, Mar-a-Lago guests frequently comment about how good he's looking over these last couple of months, and he feels great as well," said the advisor who spoke with Trump recently about his health. "I think there's something to be said about no longer having the weight of the free world on your shoulders."
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Republicans cry big tech bias on the very platforms they have dominated - The Guardian - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021