As a candidate, President Donald Trump boasted that he would hire the best and most serious people. But as impeachment bears down on his presidency, a lot of his problems may be because he has hired a very bad lawyer.
That man, of course, is Rudolph Giuliani.
Trump brought Giuliania former federal prosecutor, New York City mayor, and Republican presidential candidateonto his legal defense team in April 2018, when special counsel Robert Mueller was actively investigating contacts between Russian operatives and the Trump campaign. Its unclear if Giuliani did any practical legal work related to that investigation, but he was a public face of the presidents defense, active on television, Twitter, and regularly texting back and forth with reporters.
But as recent revelations have made clear, Giuliani also took on a side portfolio: pushing for the ouster of the US ambassador in Ukraine and trying to get Ukraine to launch investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, as well as into a conspiracy theory about Ukrainian interference in the 2016 elections.
That project has proven a disaster for his client: A lawyer who sets out to defend a president and instead helps create the basis for his impeachment has not been an effective counsel. If that werent enough, here are three other ways Giuliani is not helping.
Giuliani is failing his most basic task of publicly defending his client. With little evidence that Giuliani is carrying out actual legal work for the president, that public role would seem to be his one job. This week he attempted to do so in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, describing the July 25th phone call during which Trump asked Ukraines president to do him a favor:
Allegations of Burisma-Biden corruption werent even a major part of the conversation. The focus was on Ukrainian corruption broadly speaking and out of a five-page transcript Mr. Trump spent only six lines on Joe Biden.
The line quickly drew derision on Twitter. There is no word-count threshold for crimes or abuses of power.
Whereas a good attorney will distance their client from criminal exposure, Giuliani has invited alleged criminals into Trumps orbit. For help with his Ukraine mission, Giuliani turned to Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, two Florida businessmen born in the former Soviet Union. Both men were charged last month by federal prosecutors in New York with funneling money from a Russian oligarch into US elections. Giuliani himself is reportedly under federal criminal investigation for his related activities in Ukraine. Prosecutors believe he may have been seeking to profit from a gas deal there brokered by Parnas and Fruman, and violated lobbying disclosure laws intended to prevent covert foreign influence by pushing for the ouster of the US Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch. Trump did ultimately remove the ambassador, who has become a key witness in the impeachment inquiry, publicly testifying on Friday.
The mere fact that the president is continuing to retain a personal attorney who is at least reportedly under criminal investigation by the federal government is itself a pretty stunning and unique set of circumstances, says John Bies, an attorney at the watchdog group American Oversight, pointing to reports this week that the federal probe into Giuliani may also include breaches of campaign finance and conspiracy laws.
The legal mess that Giuliani has gotten himselfand his clientinto leads to perhaps the most important way that Giuliani is failing as a lawyer.
Giuliani has created an ethically compromised situation. At this point, it might be more legally advantageous for Giuliani to maintain Trump as a client than it is for Trump to keep Giuliani as an attorney. That the opposite of how its supposed to be.
He cant be the star witness and the lawyer in the same case, says Laurie Levinson, a criminal law expert at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. Most people dont have a lawyer representing them in a case when their lawyer also has counsel in the same case.
But this is precisely the hangup Giuliani has put Trump in, and it puts Giuliani in a position where he might be tempted to protect himself by throwing his client under the bus. The lobbying disclosure laws that prosecutors believe Giuliani may have broken contain an exception for legal work. While the Wall Street Journal reported Friday that US prosecutors are examining whether Giuliani was seeking business deals in Ukraine, it is in his interest to portray his work in the country as entirely on behalf of the presidents defensea claim he has reiterated.
But this stance is unhelpful to Trump. As George Conway, a Republican anti-Trump lawyer, has pointed out, this tweet is actually very bad for the president as he faces impeachment. The case against Trump is that he used the powers of his office to advance his own personal interestsa textbook definition of abuse of power. Trump, in response, claims he was simply furthering America foreign policy and rooting out Ukrainian corruption. For Giuliani, Trumps defense attorney, to insist all the work pushing for investigations was actually in service of his clients defense undercuts the presidents claims of having been acting on behalf of the national interest.
This tweet by itself establishes that [Trump] committed an impeachable offense, Conway wrote, retweeting Giuliani. To say that Giulianis and Trumps pursuit of Ukrainiancorruption was done solely to protect Trumps interests establishes that Trump was not acting for the country.
Youre supposed to zealously advance your clients interests, says Bies, warning that is harder for an attorney to do once their interests diverge from the clients.
Giuliani also has an incentive to reveal things that might be covered by the duty of confidentiality, said Ken White, a former prosecutor, while predicting how Giulianis severe conflict of interest might harm his client in an appearance on the podcast All the Presidents Lawyers.
The legal profession is supposed to guard people against unscrupulous lawyers through its bar associations professional accreditation process. While warning hes not personally an expert on when a lawyers conflicts of interest risk formal sanction, Bies says at minimum there are significant questions about whether or not he has comported himself consistent with his bar obligations. And a bar counselor should consider that question seriously.
Read the rest here:
- Donald Trump Tweets His Defense by Attacking AOC - Mother Jones - January 25th, 2020
- Take Her Out: Donald Trumps Role in the Ukraine Scheme Is Reportedly Caught on Tape - The New Yorker - January 25th, 2020
- Trump Attacks Greta Thunberg At Davos, Then Claims He Doesnt Know Anything About Her - Vanity Fair - January 25th, 2020
- Great Lakes poll in Ohio, 3 other states offers snapshot of voter opinions on Donald Trump and political issu - cleveland.com - January 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump dismisses injuries of US military troops, proves (again) there is no bottom - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Trump's dismantling of environmental regulations unwinds 50 years of protections - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Op-ed: Alexander Hamilton would have impeached and removed Trump - Los Angeles Times - January 25th, 2020
- Trump weighs travel ban expansion in coming days - POLITICO - January 25th, 2020
- Trump and Conor McGregor congratulate each other on Twitter - Business Insider - January 25th, 2020
- The Best Defense of Donald Trump - The New Republic - January 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump Defense Team Argues That Impeachment Process, Set out in Constitution, is Unconstitutional - The Daily Beast - January 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump Did a Zillion Tweets Today and Each One Is Terrible - Mother Jones - January 25th, 2020
- What law did Donald Trump break? | TheHill - The Hill - January 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump is the O.J. of American politics and we know how that story ends - Salon - January 25th, 2020
- The scariest thing about Donald Trump's relationship with the truth - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Senate Republicans need to end this trial before Donald Trump confesses to anything else - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Other towns have been left holding the bag for Trump rally costs - NJ.com - January 25th, 2020
- How Donald Trumps Unlikely Legal Team Will Try to Defend Him - The New Yorker - January 25th, 2020
- Trump Roars, and Davos Shrugs - POLITICO - January 25th, 2020
- This trial is not about Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - January 25th, 2020
- Trump threatens to cut California funding over abortion coverage - POLITICO - January 25th, 2020
- Trump: I'd love for these people to testify, but ... - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Watch the best 3 minutes from 8 hours of Dems' arguments - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Lets analyze Donald Trumps reelection chances - The Boston Globe - January 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump May Have Been Behind Jeff Bezos Phone Hack - CCN.com - January 25th, 2020
- Evangelicals Love Donald Trump for Many Reasons, But One of Them Is Especially Terrifying - Mother Jones - January 25th, 2020
- How the anti-choice movement's lies laid the foundation for Donald Trump's big cover-up - Salon - January 25th, 2020
- Bitter exchanges and incriminating evidence rock Trump's impeachment trial - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- 'Slow-minded and bewildered': Donald Trump builds barriers to peace and prosperity - The Conversation AU - January 25th, 2020
- Trump is threatening a damaging new trade war with the United Kingdom after Brexit - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 25th, 2020
- Trump rages against impeachment while overseas - CNN - January 25th, 2020
- Has Donald Trump delivered on his promise to remake American power in the world? - Economist - Portugal - January 25th, 2020
- Is This Lev Parnas at a Family Birthday Party with Donald Trump? - Snopes.com - January 25th, 2020
- National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion During Donald Trump's Three Years as President - Newsweek - January 25th, 2020
- Jim Carrey Is Done with Donald Trump, Turns Artistic Energy to Great Art Like Parasite - IndieWire - January 25th, 2020
- Sen. Tim Kaine says jurors must be impartial in Donald Trumps impeachment trial - WAVY.com - January 25th, 2020
- This 2016 map doesn't say what Donald Trump thinks it does - CNN - January 18th, 2020
- Donald Trump Tweets in Persian That Iranians 'Love America' in Twitter Joust With Ayatollah Khamenei - Newsweek - January 18th, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is so obsessed with Michael Bloomberg - CNN - January 18th, 2020
- The Age of Illusions review: anti-anti-Trump but for what, exactly? - The Guardian - January 18th, 2020
- Trump accuses Dems of using impeachment trial to hurt Sanders campaign - POLITICO - January 18th, 2020
- Donald Trump's war on toilets (and sinks and showers and dishwashers) - CNN - January 18th, 2020
- Trump Will Be In Austin Sunday. Here's What You Need To Know. - KUT - January 18th, 2020
- The final test of Trump's domination of the GOP will have nothing to do with his reelection - Business Insider - January 18th, 2020
- UK prepares to ignore Trump's threats and call his 'bluff' on Huawei - Business Insider - January 18th, 2020
- Ron Reagan Goes Scorched Earth On 'Traitor' Trump: My Dad Wouldn't Have Voted For Him - HuffPost - January 18th, 2020
- Here Are All the Books Donald Trump Recommended in 2019 - Slate - December 29th, 2019
- Here's a list of everyone Donald Trump attacked on Twitter in 2019 - CNN - December 29th, 2019
- The Obama and Trump reading lists, compared - CNN - December 29th, 2019
- Trump's secret plan to pressure Ukraine reportedly pitted administration officials against each other - Business Insider - December 29th, 2019
- Donald Trump Says He Hates New York 'Even More Than I Should' Because of Investigations - Newsweek - December 29th, 2019
- Inside the Biggest 2020 Advertising War Against Trump - The New York Times - December 29th, 2019
- Trumps tariffs have backfired, according to a new government study - Vox.com - December 29th, 2019
- A Gangster in the White House - The Atlantic - December 29th, 2019
- Donald Trump Is a Keynesian - Mother Jones - December 29th, 2019
- Yang hits Democratic Party for 'acting like Donald Trump is the cause of all of our problems' - Washington Examiner - December 29th, 2019
- Is This an Authentic Photograph of President Trump? - Snopes.com - December 29th, 2019
- What Will It Take to Beat Donald Trump? - The New York Times - December 29th, 2019
- Donald Trump's 199 wildest lines of 2019 - CNN - December 29th, 2019
- Of course Trump hates central bankers they tell the truth - The Guardian - December 29th, 2019
- Ivanka Trump Says She May Not Stay in White House If Father Wins 2020 - Newsweek - December 29th, 2019
- Key reports to watch for this week as the S&P aims for its best year in 2 decades - CNBC - December 29th, 2019
- Donald Trump's New Space Force Will Have Trouble Catching Up With China's - The Daily Beast - December 29th, 2019
- Why Trump killed Santa and other stocking chillers - The Guardian - December 29th, 2019
- Water-guzzling demands of Trump's border wall threaten fish species - The Guardian - December 29th, 2019
- Trumps health care record is something hed rather not discuss - Vox.com - December 29th, 2019
- What it Would Take for Evangelicals to Turn on President Trump - The New Yorker - December 29th, 2019
- Donald Trump Is Still Feuding With the Wind - Vanity Fair - December 29th, 2019
- What's behind Trump's nonsense on windmills and light bulbs - CNN - December 29th, 2019
- George Conway Says Trump's Twitter Dump Is Ploy to Be Ruled Unfit for Trial - Newsweek - December 29th, 2019
- National security adviser O'Brien defends Trump's handling of Edward Gallagher case - Stars and Stripes - December 29th, 2019
- 3 factors that could make or break Trump in 2020 - POLITICO - December 29th, 2019
- Trump shocks black voters by trying to get their votes - POLITICO - December 13th, 2019
- Trump congratulates Boris Johnson on a 'great WIN' in the UK election - Business Insider - December 13th, 2019
- Donald Trump Wanted Another Roy Cohn. He Got Bill Barr. - The New York Times - December 13th, 2019
- Thunberg trolls Trump after he mocks her in tweet - CNN - December 13th, 2019
- Fox News host delivers a scathing rebuke of Trump? Yes, it happened... again - MarketWatch - December 13th, 2019
- He Thinks Fox Screwed Him: Trump Enraged At Fox, His Impeachment Bulwark - Vanity Fair - December 13th, 2019
- Army Navy game by the numbers includes President Donald Trump attending for the third time - USA TODAY - December 13th, 2019
- Hear years of Trump's claims that were debunked today - CNN - December 13th, 2019