Janet Begley, Special to TCPalm.com Published 9:00 a.m. ET Oct. 4, 2019
SEBASTIANFifteen dogs taken to theH.A.L.O. No-Kill Rescue organization when Hurricane Dorian swept through Freeport on Grand Bahama island have headed to new homes.
After several weeks of medical quarantine, the dogs were ready for adoption Sept. 29, said H.A.L.O Executive Director Jacque Petrone. Twelve others have been transferred to other rescue groups that already have familieslined up for the canines. H.A.L.O. stands for Helping Animals Live and Overcome.
More:HALO Animal Rescue helpinganimals fromthe Bahamas
They are doing very well, considering what they have been through, said Petrone. These animals survived a Category 5 hurricane, a flight across the ocean and a three-hour drive to reach their destination. But amazingly, they were in great spirits when they arrived and settled into the shelter nicely.
Of the 83 dogs rescued from the Humane Society of Grand Bahama, 21 of them tested positive for heart worm and will need medical care before they can be adopted, Petrone said.
Many of them suffered from severe skin irritation, salt water burns and ear and eye infections due to prolonged exposure to gasoline-infused salt water.
Dog handler Hailey Nottage scratches the face of Paul, one of 83 dogs rescued from the Bahamas, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, at the H.A.L.O. animal shelter in Sebastian. "Paul had it pretty rough during and after the storm," Nottage said. "The injuries he sustained is believed to be from all the chemicals in the water. He seems to be doing better now." The dogs have finished their two weeks in quarantine and will now visit the veterinarian.(Photo: PATRICK DOVE/TCPALM)
The Grand Bahama animal shelter was hit with deadly storm surge nearly 20 feet high, with more than 5 feetof flood waterfilling the building. More than 110 cats and dogs died in the flood, as Hurricane Dorian devastated the island. The six staff members manning the building survived.
Previous story: 83 dogs rescued from Bahamas at HALO
When the 83 dogs and one cat made it to HALO, shelter, Petrone had to have adequate kennelspace for the animals.
We went two-story with our cages, said Petrone. We also had to set aside a room for medical quarantine. We had six volunteers working around-the-clock, with staff members putting in 50 to 60 hours a week. As tough as it was, we plowed through.
Right now, there are 98 dogsat the shelter on Jackson Street, and Petrone is hoping for some more adoptions to go through quickly.
Dog handler Hailey Nottage and head trainer Jeff Bolling move a pack of dogs rescued from the Bahamas from the yard back into the kennels on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, at the H.A.L.O animal shelter in Sebastian. After spending two weeks in quarantine, 83 dogs and one cat are now ready to be placed in foster homes or put up for adoption. "The next step is getting everyone to the vet, and that's a big step, not only monetarily, but logistically," said Bolling. "Also, it's important to get to know the personality of each dog. Out here in the yard you really get a good idea of who's outgoing, who's shy, how they interact with other dogs and who needs some work."(Photo: PATRICK DOVE/TCPALM)
The one rescued cat has taken up residency in Petrones office while he waits for a new home.
The Humane Society of Vero Beach and Indian River County isready to accept any dogsrescued from the Bahamas, but so far, have not beencalled upon to provide help. The shelterdoesn't have anydogs from the Bahamas, officials said.
More: Humane Society of Treasure Coast rescues Bahamas animals after Dorian
Since she started a GoFundMe page online, Petrone has raised more than $210,000 to assist animals impacted by Hurricane Dorian in comingto the United States.
She also is raising moneyto help rebuild the shelter for the Humane Society of Grand Bahama. Almost 3,000 contributions have been made through the GoFundMesite.
Volunteers and rescue groups came together to transport 83 dogs from the Bahamas to Florida. ANIMALKIND
- The Islands Of The Bahamas State Of The Business Tourism Update - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2019
- The Bahamas are doing just fine and await your arrival - The News Star - October 27th, 2019
- 11-year-old boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reach over 1200 - Greenwich Time - October 27th, 2019
- Tourism In The Bahamas Rebounds After Hurricane Dorian - Cruise Industry News - October 27th, 2019
- Local boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reaches over 1,200 - WPBF West Palm Beach - October 27th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes To Storm Victims In The Bahamas And Houston - SGB Media - October 27th, 2019
- The Timberwolves are Karl-Anthony Towns' team now - Star Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Grand Bahama All-Inclusive to Reopen in November - Caribbean Journal - October 24th, 2019
- This Species Of Shark Was Spotted For The First Time In The Tongue Of The Ocean Near The Bahamas - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Trinidad and Tobago ships relief items to the Bahamas - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 24th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes to Recent Storm Victims in the Bahamas and Houston - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Temple Terrace Donates Fire Truck To Ravaged Station In Bahamas - Patch.com - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Womens Basketball to play exhibition to Benefit Bahamas Hurricane Relief - On The Banks - October 24th, 2019
- 'Bahamas was not a joke': KAT and his unified Wolves open with a stirring win - The Athletic - October 24th, 2019
- New gas station -- result of Bahamas Bowl sponsorship -- coming to Elk Grove - Chicago Daily Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Mercer alumna helps the Bahamas with the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - The Cluster - October 24th, 2019
- SITE Classic brings 300 Incentive Travel professionals to the Bahamas - Travel Daily News International - October 24th, 2019
- Govt. signs Heads of Agreement for new medical university in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- FATF keeps Panama and Bahamas on the grey list and adds Iceland - International Investment - October 24th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Power working on 'innovative' renewable energy solutions - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas to leave Baltimore - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 24th, 2019
- 'Please come and visit:' Unscathed Bahamas islands need visitors to aid hurricane recovery - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- The Salvation army's hurricane response in the Bahamas continues to grow - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 5th, 2019
- A Florida bar has removed about $14,000 stapled to its walls to provide hurricane relief in Bahamas - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs from the Bahamas are up for adoption at the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando - Orlando Weekly - October 5th, 2019
- WHO Director-General visits devastated sites in the Bahamas to assess health impacts of Hurricane Dorian - World Health Organization - October 5th, 2019
- Pets rescued from destruction in Bahamas arrive in Maine, looking for forever home - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - October 5th, 2019
- 2019 Intensive: Bahamas - Highlights - International Women's Forum News - October 5th, 2019
- By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas - News-Press - October 5th, 2019
- Just how far away are the Bahamas? - The Triton - October 5th, 2019
- Big Charger from the Bahamas learning to play football - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2017
- The Only Private Island in the Bahamas Where You Can Land Your Private Jet - Robb Report - August 25th, 2017
- What we learned from Chicago State's trip to the Bahamas - Mid-Major Madness - August 25th, 2017
- Threat to South Carolina from storm near the Bahamas eases - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- University of the Bahamas attracts new Royal Donors, a Sir and a Lady - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- A rain storm lurking off the Bahamas could strengthen and impact South Carolina - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- Quality Beach Soccer Squad Wins League And Cup Competitions In The Bahamas Super League - Bahamas Tribune - August 25th, 2017
- LOOK: Klay Thompson clearly enjoying his time in the Bahamas - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Zoo Miami may pair with zoos in Bahamas, Colombia and Jamaica - Miami Today - August 25th, 2017
- Tropical moisture to bring uptick in downpours to Florida, Bahamas early this week - AccuWeather.com - August 20th, 2017
- Nema Director Urges Caution As Weather System Moves Towards Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Puerto Rico Blows Out Bahamas By 64 Points - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- At Port of Palm Beach, new Bahamas Paradise owners installing upgrades, second ship - Sun Sentinel - August 20th, 2017
- Drug Mules jailed in Bahamas, claims lured to drug trafficking by desperate times - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Batfish: Bahamas' masters of camouflage - Baltimore Post-Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Bahamas Bounces Back With Win Over Suriname - Bahamas Tribune - August 18th, 2017
- News Report cites Bahamas refugee laws lacking, UNHCR to help - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bad Loans Crippling Bank of the Bahamas - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Police get to BPL cases, $2M missing as more to be fired - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Loses Opener In U18 Centrobasket - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- DJ, Paulina unwind with Bahamas vacay ... obviously - Golf Channel - August 16th, 2017
- Editorial: Hidden Faces Of Racism In The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism signs MOU with Airbnb - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas FNM Ministers & MPs verify with Public Treasury - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Turnquest: We Can Turn Bank Of The Bahamas Around - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Police denies suspect hide out in TCI - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 14th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them? - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 14th, 2017
- Tropical Depression Eight Forms Northeast of the Bahamas; Likely to Stay East of the Carolinas Early Next Week - The Weather Channel - August 13th, 2017
- Unemployment drops, still nearly 22,000 not working says Bahamas ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - WRAL.com - August 13th, 2017
- Bahamas E-Passport collection returns to Thompson Boulevard/University Drive - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- South African Pilots make their dream a reality of visiting The Bahamas - South Florida Caribbean News - August 11th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism cuts staff, Minister says to save $1M - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- PokerStars Brings Back The PCA After Bahamas Rebranding Fails - US Poker (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Conchs Mostly Gone From Florida Can The Bahamas Save Them? - NBC Bay Area - August 11th, 2017
- More Debt - The Legacy Of Another Bailout For Bank Of The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 11th, 2017
- UPDATE: Disturbance over the Bahamas could bring heavy rain to Florida - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas All-Stars Victory Is A Local First At Summer Of Thunder - Bahamas Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- Look: Lee Smith in the Bahamas with Shaq during this offseason - Silver and Black Pride - August 10th, 2017
- Final Game in Bahamas Cancelled - GoPSUsports.com - August 10th, 2017
- CSU mens basketball team soaks up the sun in the Bahamas - 9NEWS.com - August 10th, 2017
- Grand ideas announced by Bahamas PM at Opening of ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Final game in Bahamas canceled for Penn State men's basketball - Centre Daily Times - August 10th, 2017
- Child Abuse up 144% for The Bahamas in 2016; neglect leads - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas trip included in schedule for SDSU women's basketball - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- 'Curls Girls' Rule The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- UPDATED: Gardiner wins silver for the Bahamas | The Tribune - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Editorial: Which International Airport In The Bahamas Is A National Disgrace? - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Nick Jonas to perform shipboard concerts in the Bahamas on ... - Los Angeles Times - August 9th, 2017