A doctor says children using the skin medication for eczema may have problems later.
Shannon Valladolid, WTSP 11:36 PM. EDT August 19, 2017
Eczema causes the skin to become inflamed.
Kids can have a lot to deal with. School, sports, bullies, the list goes on.
But imagine also dealing with this as well: severe eczema.
Five-year-old Allison and 11-year-old Imaan may be different ages, but they have one thing in common.
I have eczema and I can only eat and wear certain things, says Imaan.
One time my friend told me she didn't like the look of my eczema on me, says Allison.
This is what their eczema looked like before getting on medication.
The girls suffer from eczema.
Both girls said they felt excruciating pain.
I got hospitalized twice. Even when I took a shower, every time water went on me it hurt and there was cuts everywhere, says Imaan.
Dr. Seth Forman with Forward Clinical Trials has been treating the girls for their skin condition.
But while they're breathing a sigh of relief now, Forman says these strong medications they're on could have long term side effects.
The medications that are available right now can cause kidney dysfunction, liver toxicity and other effects to the immune system, says Dr. Forman.
Forman conducts many clinical trials on a wide array of skin conditions like rosacea and psoriasis. He's been pushing to change current regulations that limit young children from being a part of these trials.
We need these newer medications to be approved by the FDA and we need more companies to do research with children, he says. So, we can avoid using these medications.
Right now, those newer medications can be used on adults but not children.
So, in the meantime, girls like Allison and Imaan might have to pay the price in the future for clear skin.
RELATED: Local clinical trials may offer more options for psoriasis patients
Makeit easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this.Download the 10 Newsapp now.
Have a news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit ourFacebook pageorTwitter feed.
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 12th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 12th, 2019
- Pfizer Presents Positive Phase 3 Data at the 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology for Abrocitinib in Moderate to... - October 12th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 12th, 2019
- More Than Food: 4 Breast Milk Uses Other Than For Feeding Babies - International Business Times - October 12th, 2019
- Graphic pictures reveal the horror of eczema sufferer 'skinned alive ... - The Sun - August 25th, 2017
- When eczema gets you banned from driving a rideshare - Malay Mail Online - August 22nd, 2017
- Eczema cure? Doing THIS at the gym could treat the debilitating skin condition - Express.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- 5 All-Natural Remedies To Treat Eczema Without The Doctor - The Alternative Daily (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 14th, 2017
- Jailed teacher says 4-month-old baby got eczema due to poor prison conditions - Turkey Purge - August 11th, 2017
- Does Early Probiotic Supplementation Reduce Eczema, Asthma Development? - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 10th, 2017
- Dermira Commits $135M for Global Rights to Roche Eczema Drug - Xconomy - August 9th, 2017
- Taking too many antibiotics to treat eczema may worsen your condition - Miami Herald - August 5th, 2017
- I Have a Rare Form of Eczema That Makes It Painful to Walk - Health.com - August 5th, 2017
- How to get rid of eczema, beat the itch and scratch cycle - The Standard - August 4th, 2017
- Goats milk is helping skin - Wellington Times - August 1st, 2017
- Eczema Can Take a Toll on Adults - WebMD - July 28th, 2017
- Many Eczema Patients Fear Using Steroid Creams - Newsmax - July 28th, 2017
- New Genetic Mutations Linked to Eczema - Pentagram - July 28th, 2017
- Eczema warning: Why you should never do this in the shower - Express.co.uk - July 28th, 2017
- Fear keeps many eczema patients from using steroid creams - Reuters - July 26th, 2017
- Top 5 Eczema Triggers You Should Know - Doctor NDTV - July 26th, 2017
- How Having Eczema on My Face Changed My LifeFor the Better - Health.com - July 22nd, 2017
- Clothes intertwined with nanotech will treat eczema - Phys.org - Phys.Org - July 21st, 2017
- Search for Eczema Relief Leads to Business Opportunities - New York Times - July 20th, 2017
- Skin doctor's top tips to help eczema sufferer's survive summer and five must-have remedies for under a tenner - The Sun - July 20th, 2017
- Controlling Eczema Flare-Ups in the Summer - Allergic Living - July 18th, 2017
- Keep these four tips in mind to manage eczema better in summer - Hindustan Times - July 15th, 2017
- Common eczema triggers and what you can do about them - AOL UK - July 13th, 2017
- How My Eczema Led to a Viral Infection That Nearly Killed Me - Health.com - July 12th, 2017
- What to Do If You Have Eczema on Your Hands - Information Nigeria - Information Nigeria - July 12th, 2017
- The Microbial Mystery Behind Eczema - Huffington Post Canada - July 10th, 2017
- My Eczema Was Under ControlUntil I Got Pregnant - Health.com - July 10th, 2017
- Clomid baby aspirin - How long does it take for clomid to start working - Van Wert independent - July 10th, 2017
- Scientists Home in on Eczema-Causing Germs - NBC News - NBCNews.com - July 7th, 2017
- Possible link found between eczema flare-ups and strain of bacteria - Medical Xpress - July 7th, 2017
- Dr. Cannaday's eczema cure, part 2 - Sedalia Democrat - July 5th, 2017
- How To Treat Eczema on Your Face - Men's Health - July 5th, 2017
- Penis after taking levitra professional - Levitra professional international mail order - Longboat Key News - July 5th, 2017
- Young mum praises 4 miracle moisturiser for 'curing' her little girl's ... - Mirror.co.uk - July 2nd, 2017
- Mum calls for 4 'miracle' cream that cured her baby's eczema to be ... - The Independent - June 29th, 2017
- A new innovative treatment for eczema could be on its way, researchers say - Netdoctor - June 29th, 2017
- Patient education: Atopic dermatitis (eczema) (Beyond the Basics) - June 28th, 2017
- Dr. Cannnady's eczema diagnosis and treatment - Sedalia Democrat - June 28th, 2017
- Link between eczema and heart disease disputed | Health24 - Health24 - June 28th, 2017
- 5 Things Someone With Eczema Wants You to Know - Eczema ... - Health.com - June 27th, 2017
- Do newborns need moisturizer? - Miami Herald - June 26th, 2017
- 5 Things People With Eczema Don't Want to Hear From You - Health.com - June 26th, 2017
- Yes, There's a Miracle Trick to Relieve Eczemaand It's Unbelievably Simple - Reader's Digest - June 26th, 2017
- The Solution for Skin Ailments Could Be Right Under Your Nose - New York Times - June 26th, 2017
- Sunlight could be key to eczema relief - InDaily - June 26th, 2017
- 8 Celebrities on How They Cope With a Serious Health Condition - Health.com - June 26th, 2017
- My Eczema Was So Debilitating, I Couldn't Sleep in a Bed for a Year - Health.com - June 23rd, 2017
- eczema in children - ACAAI - ACAAI Public Website - June 22nd, 2017
- Researchers Discover Genetic Cause for Eczema | HealthCentral - HealthCentral.com - June 22nd, 2017
- 6 Common Triggers for Eczema and What To Do About Them - Health.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Eczema: Single-gene mutations identified that lead to skin condition - Outbreak News Today - June 21st, 2017
- Sun effects on skin reveal eczema therapy clues - Medical Xpress - June 19th, 2017
- Police: 10-year-old boy wasn't shot, has eczema - ABC2 News - June 19th, 2017
- Eczema not linked to heart disease risk after all - Futurity - Futurity: Research News - June 19th, 2017
- Link between eczema, heart disease questioned - Outlook India - June 19th, 2017
- Is there a link between eczema and heart disease? Finally we have ... - Hindustan Times - June 18th, 2017
- Eczema on Your Scalp? Here's How to Ease the Symptoms - Health.com - June 17th, 2017
- Eczema Overview, Symptoms and Treatment - Health.com - June 16th, 2017
- 7 Skin Self-Care Strategies Everyone With Eczema Should Be Doing - Health.com - June 16th, 2017
- Study casts doubt about link between eczema, cardiovascular disease - Medical Xpress - June 16th, 2017
- How to Stop Itching Your Skin If You Have Eczema - Health Magazine - Health.com - June 15th, 2017
- I Grew Up With Severe Eczemaand It Was Exhausting - Health.com - June 14th, 2017
- The Risks and Benefits of Light Therapy for Atopic Dermatitis - Health.com - June 14th, 2017
- When Treating Eczema in Babies, the Wet Look is In - PR Web (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- 5 Ways To Stop Eczema From Ruining Your Summer - Allure Magazine - June 11th, 2017
- "I hated having eczema but now I've made a career out of it" - Netdoctor - June 10th, 2017
- Excoriation, and What It Means for People With Atopic Dermatitis - Health.com - June 8th, 2017
- Student overcomes eczema to become Miss Wiltshire - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - June 7th, 2017
- Dermatitis | DermNet New Zealand - June 3rd, 2017
- Topical Steroids : National Eczema Society - June 3rd, 2017
- Fend off Psoriasis and Eczema with Simple, Inexpensive ... - June 3rd, 2017
- Does Diet Affect Eczema Treatment? - Care2.com - June 3rd, 2017
- 5 Foods That Fight Dry Skin from the Inside Out - Health.com - June 3rd, 2017