A doctor says children using the skin medication for eczema may have problems later.
Shannon Valladolid, WTSP 11:36 PM. EDT August 19, 2017
Eczema causes the skin to become inflamed.
Kids can have a lot to deal with. School, sports, bullies, the list goes on.
But imagine also dealing with this as well: severe eczema.
Five-year-old Allison and 11-year-old Imaan may be different ages, but they have one thing in common.
I have eczema and I can only eat and wear certain things, says Imaan.
One time my friend told me she didn't like the look of my eczema on me, says Allison.
This is what their eczema looked like before getting on medication.
The girls suffer from eczema.
Both girls said they felt excruciating pain.
I got hospitalized twice. Even when I took a shower, every time water went on me it hurt and there was cuts everywhere, says Imaan.
Dr. Seth Forman with Forward Clinical Trials has been treating the girls for their skin condition.
But while they're breathing a sigh of relief now, Forman says these strong medications they're on could have long term side effects.
The medications that are available right now can cause kidney dysfunction, liver toxicity and other effects to the immune system, says Dr. Forman.
Forman conducts many clinical trials on a wide array of skin conditions like rosacea and psoriasis. He's been pushing to change current regulations that limit young children from being a part of these trials.
We need these newer medications to be approved by the FDA and we need more companies to do research with children, he says. So, we can avoid using these medications.
Right now, those newer medications can be used on adults but not children.
So, in the meantime, girls like Allison and Imaan might have to pay the price in the future for clear skin.
RELATED: Local clinical trials may offer more options for psoriasis patients
Makeit easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this.Download the 10 Newsapp now.
Have a news tip? Email email@example.com, visit ourFacebook pageorTwitter feed.
- Preventing Coronavirus Exposure When You Have Psoriasis and Eczema - Everyday Health - April 9th, 2020
- Natural Moisturizers That Will Soothe Dry Skin From All Your Hand Washing - HuffPost Canada - April 9th, 2020
- Here's Why Regenerons Stock Is Worth More Than Its Coronavirus Work - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2020
- 1 protein in the skin kickstarts a pesky itch - Futurity: Research News - April 9th, 2020
- The 9 Best Bath Salts and Soaks of 2020 Reviews - Allure - April 9th, 2020
- Covid-19: Frequent hand-washing, sanitising giving rise to skin problems - New Straits Times Online - April 9th, 2020
- Scientists identify a protein that switches on allergic itching - New Atlas - April 9th, 2020
- Do You Have 'Iso Skin'? Why Your Face Is Freaking Out And How To Fix It - 10 daily - April 9th, 2020
- 5 best skin care products to help with stress, according to Dr. Pimple Popper - TODAY - April 9th, 2020
- Shop a Revolutionary Hand Sanitizer For Sensitive Skin - DuJour - dujour.com - April 9th, 2020
- Eczema, dermatitis and how to treat dry, flaky and itchy skin - ABC News - March 24th, 2020
- Best ways to treat eczema - Daily Monitor - March 24th, 2020
- This $4 Hand Cream Has Allowed Me to Wash My Eczema-Ridden Hands Ten Times a Day - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Hand-washing over coronavirus has created a dry skin epidemic - what to do - Coventry Telegraph - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How to properly care for dry hands caused by hand-washing and sanitiser, according to dermatologists - The Independent - March 24th, 2020
- 10 Products That Delighted Us Last Week: From Track Suits to Tarot Decks - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - March 9th, 2020
- Mum says son with eczema was able to have his first bubble bath thanks to new product - Manchester Evening News - March 9th, 2020
- View: Can daily application of an emollient from birth prevent the development of atopic eczema? - Hospital Healthcare Europe - March 9th, 2020
- Heart attack symptoms: The painful skin condition that could increase risk by 50 percent - Express - March 9th, 2020
- 'The best emollient is one the patient uses' - prescribing emollients in primary care - Pulse - March 9th, 2020
- Woman tells of how 17 beauty product massively improved her eczema - RSVP Live - March 9th, 2020
- How to Heal Dry, Cracked Hands From Washing Your Hands So Damn Much - Self - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema sufferer reveals that Dragon's Den product dramatically improved her skin - FM104 - March 9th, 2020
- Dealing with stress: How it affects your skin and what to do about it - Gulf Today - March 9th, 2020
- Love Being Outdoors? Protect Your Skin All Year - Osprey Observer - March 9th, 2020
- How to keep your hands clean without getting dry skin - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema: Definition, Causes, Treatments, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- Eczema: Symptoms, treatment, and causes - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Types of Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- 'Life-changing': Calls for eczema drug to be PBS listed to help with mental health - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 29th, 2020
- Daily moisturizers ineffective in preventing Eczema - Medical Herald - February 29th, 2020
- How stress affects your skin and what to do about it, according to experts - The Independent - February 29th, 2020
- Are You Getting Any? I Used To Think Casual Sex Was Shameful Now Its Fun - VICE UK - February 29th, 2020
- Skin allergies - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Charlize Theron thought daughter looked like a 'lizard' - The Laconia Daily Sun - January 27th, 2020
- Man tormented by severe eczema took heroin overdose to kill himself - Lancashire Telegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Eczema: Does this unsightly skin condition worsen with age? Experts have their say - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Ease The Symptoms Of Eczema With The Aid Of This Natural Herb - International Business Times - January 25th, 2020
- Best supplements for eczema: This natural herb could help ease symptoms of the condition - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Dry Eyelids: Heres Exactly How to Treat Them, According to Dermatologists - Self - January 25th, 2020
- Eczema treatment: How to exercise without causing a flare-up - four key tips - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told her mum she 'didn't want to look at herself in the mirror' - she's now a model - Manchester Evening News - January 25th, 2020
- Girl, 8, whose eczema is so severe it turns skin purple lands dream job with M&S - Mirror Online - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab) available to treat adolescents with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Scotland1 - PharmiWeb.com - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told mum 'I don't want to look at myself in the mirror' - Liverpool Echo - January 25th, 2020
- Charlize Theron recounts the 1st moment she met her daughter - Today.com - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab), accepted for restricted use within NHS Wales for the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in adolescents aged 12 -... - January 25th, 2020
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- John Turturro On The Future Of HBOs The Night Of TCA - Deadline - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- The 12 COSRX Products Every Skin-Care Fiend Should Have - New York Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Global Eczema Therapeutics Market 2020-2024| Evolving Opportunities with AbbVie Inc. and Bayer AG | Technavio - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019
- I started my coffee body scrub business with 450 now its turned over 15m and Maisie Smith is a fan - The Sun - December 17th, 2019
- Common Itching Causes and Fixes, According to Dermatologists - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 17th, 2019
- Kane Biotech Launches Consumer Product Test for an Innovative Shampoo Containing its Patented Anti-Biofilm Technology - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2019
- LEO Pharma announces positive top-line results for tralokinumab from three Phase 3 studies in adult patients with moderate-to-severe AD - Business... - December 17th, 2019
- Voice of the Year: Dr. Tara Zandvliet - Voice of San Diego - December 17th, 2019
- Revisit on skin diseases: eczema (3) - The Nation Newspaper - December 17th, 2019
- Naturally Weatherproof Skin for Winter Dryness - One Green Planet - December 17th, 2019
- Arcutis Announces Top Line Results for Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Clinical Trial Evaluating ARQ-151 as a Potential Topical Treatment for Atopic... - December 17th, 2019
- Sanofi Says Its $2.5 Billion Biotech Takeover Is Just the Beginning - The Motley Fool - December 17th, 2019
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - November 23rd, 2019
- CBS4s Frances Wang Brings Awareness To Skin Condition In Order To Help Others - CBS Miami - November 23rd, 2019
- What is cica? Everything a dermatologist wants you to know about this buzzy ingredient - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 23rd, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis linked to increased risk of atrial fibrillation - Dermatology Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Here's The Real Truth About Treating ADHD With Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills - ScienceAlert - November 23rd, 2019
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 4th, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 4th, 2019
- Eczema drug raises hopes of effective and long-lasting treatment - inews - October 27th, 2019
- Which emollients are effective and acceptable for eczema in children? - The BMJ - October 27th, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 27th, 2019
- New drug developed in S'pore could provide full relief to eczema symptoms like redness & itching of skin - Mothership.sg - October 27th, 2019