EVERYONE loves great goals, scoring them or watching them from the stands or on TV.
Wrexham fans will remember Mickey Thomas famous FA Cup strike against Arsenal in 1992, Dom Voses wonder-goal against Gateshead five years ago or Lee Trundles tasty chips - yes he scored two worldies - against Oxford United in 2001.
My personal favourite in 46 years watching the Reds is Les Cartwrights chip on a mudbath of a pitch against Newcastle United in an FA Cup fourth round Racecourse replay back in the 1977/78 glory year.
Night games at a jam-packed Racecourse were something special in those days whether you were eight or 88.
Cartwrights cracker was one of many that season and the Welsh international also played a big part a Wrexham winner that was voted Match of The Days goal of the month back in September 1980.
Cartwright carved out the cross at Derby Countrys Baseball Ground and Ian Edwards venomous volley did the rest. Blink and you really did miss it.
Edwards said years later: I was always good at volleying. It should have been the goal of the season. Tony Morley won it for his goal at Everton.
It wasnt Edwards only claim to glory in a career that ended playing for Mold Alex in the Welsh National League.
Edwards, now a hotelier in Criccieth, became only the second Welsh international in the 20th Century - Mel Charles was the first in 1962 - to score four goals for his country.
As full international debuts go, it was special. Very special.
Forget the meaningless run-out in sun-baked Kuwait as a second half substitute for John Toshack in September 1977 because Edwards full debut 13 months later was one dreams are made of.
Born on the Welsh side of the English border in Rossett, Edwards ended up playing for Chester City so making your full international bow at Wrexhams Racecourse Ground was never going to be easy.
But centre-forward Edwards silenced the boo-boys with one of the best debuts ever in international football, scoring four goals in a 7-0 mauling of Malta - Englands World Cup qualifying opponents this weekend.
Also on the scoresheet in front of 11,475 fans at The Racecourse that October night were Brian Flynn and Mickey Thomas. Dai Davies and Cartwright - Wrexham regulars at the time - were also in starting line-up along with Joey Jones, who was poised to return home to Wrexham from Liverpool in a record 210,000 deal.
Twelve months later Edwards would be teaming up with Davies, Jones and Cartwright at Wrexham after making a controversial 125,000 move from Sealand Road back through his home village of Rossett and onto The Racecourse.
But he left Chester fans with plenty of fond memories, making up for the fact that hed fired four goals for Wales that October night by scoring a hat-trick three days later as The Seals thrashed Brentford 3-1 in front of his home supporters.
And even though his move didnt go down well with the majority of the Chester fans, it did leave the path clear for a certain Ian Rush to become their new number nine.
And Wales legend Rush duly obliged by scoring in the game after Edwards departure. More goals followed leading to Rush moving to Liverpool for 300,000 and becoming one of Anfields greatest-ever goalscorers.
Edwards career at Wrexham was dogged by a knee injury and his international career also stalled although hell never forget that winning goal at Derby - and a top-three finish in Goal of the Season competition.
There are nine other Welsh internationals who have topped the Goal of The Month rankings in the Premier League era, kicking off with Norwich Citys Jeremy Goss in August 1993.
Manchester Uniteds Mark Hughes was January 1994s winner while Barry Hornes thunderous strike for Everton in a relegation six-pointer against Wimbledon took the honours in May of that year.
Current Wales boss Ryan Giggs has a famous five to his name, scoring for Manchester United in September 1992, May 1993, February 1998, April 1999 and 10 years later in February 2009.
Gareth Bale has a hat-trick to brag about after topping the list with Tottenham in August 2010 before back-to-back winners at the start of 2013.
His current Wales team-mate Aaron Ramsey hit crackers for Arsenal in November 2013 and October 2018 and Craig Bellamy can also claim a double. One with Blackburn in April 2006 and the other for Manchester City in September 2009.
Liverpools Ian Rush was a winner in April 1993 with Wrexham-born Harry Wilson completing the list after his stunner for Bournemouth in the opening month of this season.
View original post here:
- Sealand firing times 4 to 22 January 2021 - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - January 13th, 2021
- Global Agriculture Equipment Assembly Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Agrabase, Rockwell Automation, Fairlawn Tool, Herker Industries,... - January 13th, 2021
- Winter visitors: Seals popping up on beaches along the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - January 9th, 2021
- Kent from the skies in the 1970s and 80s - Kent Online - January 9th, 2021
- Maersk completes brand integration - Fruitnet - January 5th, 2021
- The day Wrexham FC were Palace party-poopers and hit Charlton Athletic for six - LeaderLive - January 5th, 2021
- Will Self on being ennobled in the New Year's honours list - The New European - January 3rd, 2021
- Who Are Seal And Heidi Klum's Four Kids? | TheThings - TheThings - December 10th, 2020
- In the wake of rebrand controversy, Fletcher must learn to value community opinions - Tufts Daily - December 10th, 2020
- Bad Sex in Fiction Award Is Canceled, as 2020 Was Bad Enough - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Spire Recovery Solutions Proudly Supports Fallen Military Heroes and Their Families - insideARM.com - December 10th, 2020
- Giving Powered by Matching Gifts - West Liberty University News & Media Relations - December 10th, 2020
- Great white shark attacks seal and leaves half-eaten carcass floating in harbour - Daily Star - December 10th, 2020
- Boston Celtics: The Daniel Theis and Tristan Thompson debate - Hoops Habit - December 10th, 2020
- Skip Alston Named Chairman Of The Board A Sixth Time - The Rhino TImes - December 10th, 2020
- LaRose issues statement on House passage of HB 473 - The Highland County Press - December 10th, 2020
- MOL vessel GAS AGILITY Undergoes LNG Bunkering to the world's largest LNG fueled container vessel - American Journal of Transportation - November 22nd, 2020
- The Navy is offering bonuses up to $125,000 to keep SEAL officers in uniform - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 22nd, 2020
- Veterans Day Observed with Caution in Great Falls - Virginia Connection Newspapers - November 22nd, 2020
- The spirits of Christmas: drinkable homemade gifts recipes - The Guardian - November 22nd, 2020
- Shipping industry welcomes IMO decision to give further consideration to USD 5 billion fund to accelerate decarbonization - American Journal of... - November 22nd, 2020
- Castor Oil for Hair: The Pros and Cons, According to Experts - MarieClaire.com - November 22nd, 2020
- At-home medication disposal to address rise in overdoses - Gainesville Sun - November 22nd, 2020
- Innovative retail concept Egg to launch in SA this November - Bizcommunity.com - November 17th, 2020
- JPG on board as Airfields progresses - Place North West - November 17th, 2020
- Sealand firing times 26 October to 13 November 2020 (Updated 26 October 2020) - GOV.UK - October 27th, 2020
- Going green grows jobs and cuts pollution - IOL - October 27th, 2020
- Another link in the chain - UNC Chapell Hill - October 9th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Myristyl Alcohol (CAS 112 72 1) Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 Best Companies included in report KLK OLEO, KAO... - October 9th, 2020
- Fighting hunger with the Million Meal Movement - WISHTV.com - October 9th, 2020
- Diving into the history of the Marlborough Sounds reveals a much-changed seascape - Stuff.co.nz - October 9th, 2020
- Hundreds break covid rules to watch 'illegal street race' over the border - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Third attempt to build 150 homes on Chester flood risk area branded 'nonsense' - Cheshire Live - September 18th, 2020
- The full list of North Wales schools which have reported coronavirus cases - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Heres Why Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Must Use Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - March 24th, 2020
- Man who went to see son play in band caught drink-driving on way home - LeaderLive - March 24th, 2020
- Man stabbed 56 times tells court his friend attacked him on night he's 'living over and over' - North Wales Live - March 5th, 2020
- 26 Sustainability efforts of the fashion industry in February 2020 - FashionUnited UK - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the kind-hearted truck driver who has helped feed Wrexham's homeless every week for years - LeaderLive - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the sponsor: Sealand Pacific Seafood Trading - Caterer Middle East - March 2nd, 2020
- Reporter takes to the skies: Qualicum Beach flight school now up and running - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - March 2nd, 2020
- Photographer from Deeside on 'cloud nine' with accolade - LeaderLive - February 27th, 2020
- China firms in $10 billion share sale rush as funding rules eased amid virus worries - Reuters - February 27th, 2020
- The Lunar New Year's most talked-about watches - High Horology Journal - February 27th, 2020
- Christmas saved in Sealand as Santa will be coming to the town - LeaderLive - November 30th, 2019
- Rare images of Chester FC's Sealand Road home after it's closure in 1990 - Cheshire Live - October 31st, 2019
- Major police incident on Sealand Road as Texaco garage was shut off to public - Cheshire Live - October 27th, 2019
- Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Will Have To Spend Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - October 27th, 2019
- Bloodied stab victim collapsed on Texaco garage floor while the other 'bought beer and energy drinks' - Daily Post - October 27th, 2019
- Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone's grandfather clock six auction highlights that caught bidders' eyes in... - October 27th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 20th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Wales247 - October 20th, 2019
- Land and whole farms launched as supply improves in Wales - FarmersWeekly - August 18th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - The Chester Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - LeaderLive - August 14th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Other Events - Market Exclusive - August 13th, 2017
- What You Must Know About Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited's (LSE:SCGL) Major Investors - Simply Wall St - August 10th, 2017
- Sealand Capital Galaxy Ltd (SCGL) Is Yet to See Trading Action on Aug 9 - Herald KS - August 9th, 2017
- Chester floodplain housing scheme unanimously rejected - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - August 5th, 2017
- sealand | eBay - August 3rd, 2017
- Chaiken Money Flow For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Above Zero - Stock Rover - August 3rd, 2017
- Zeroing in on Yesterday's High: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - August 3rd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Mesa Moving Average Climbs Above FAMA - JCTY News - August 2nd, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)? - Rockville Register - August 1st, 2017
- Late night shopping scheme in Chester sees Park & Ride services extended - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Ichimoku Reveals Negative Momentum - Rockville Register - July 29th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited (SCGL.L)? - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand ... - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 26th, 2017
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 22nd, 2017
- Sealand - Wikitravel - July 22nd, 2017
- Range Rover invasion at Chester supermarket site - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Pushes Higher 37.14% - DARC News - July 20th, 2017
- WATCH: New Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 19th, 2017
- Students create app to improve post-stroke care - USC News - July 18th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) is a Volume Leader - Nelson Research - July 13th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - July 9th, 2017
- Neighborhood Notes: the first week of July - Mission Local - July 8th, 2017
- Maersk ransomware attack may hit 'tens of thousands' of shippers, warns analyst - The Loadstar - June 30th, 2017