The gun found in Anthony Lamar Smiths car after then-St. Louis city police officer Jason Stockley shot and killed him had no trace of Smiths DNA on it, DNA experts testified during the Stockleys murder trial this week.
Stockleys DNA, however, was present on the firearm, which prosecutors said supported their argument that Stockley planted the gun in Smiths car after killing him.
Stockley, a white man, is accused of first-degree murder in the 2011 killing of Smith, a black St. Louis resident.
Stockleys attorneys repeatedly said that it didnt necessarily mean it wasnt Smiths gun. It is possible that the DNA found on that Taurus revolver was only deposited there in the moment when Stockley unloaded the gun after seizing it from the car, the defense said.
The Taurus revolver was presented in court as evidence along with the clothes Smith wore that day, Stockleys department-issued gun and his personal AK-47.
On December 20, 2011, Stockley and his partner, Officer Brian Bianchi, pursued Smith in a high-speed chase after he pulled out of a Churchs Chicken parking lot, hitting the police car in the process. Stockley fired seven shots into the fleeing vehicle, prosecutors said, using a personal weapon, an assault rifle, which violated department policy.
During the pursuit, Stockley is heard on an internal police car video saying, Going to kill this [expletive], dont you know it.
As Smiths car was slowing to a stop, Stockley is also heard telling Bianchi to hit him right now, at which point Bianchi slammed the police SUV into Smiths car.
The airbags deployed. Both cars stopped. Then, within the next few minutes, Stockley got out of his car, walked to the Buick and shot Smith five times. Smith had not left the drivers seat of his car.
Witness Elijah Simpson, a police officer who arrived on the scene almost at the same time as the shooting, testified that shortly afterwards, he went to the drivers side door and lifted up the airbag. He did not see a gun in the car then, though Stockleys defense noted that perhaps the gun was hidden between the seats. He noticed that neither the car nor the victim had been searched, though based on my experience, suspects should be removed from the vehicle and placed in handcuffs, Simpson said.
He called it strange that Stockley left Smiths vehicle, came back, and then searched the vehicle for the gun.
Next, the medical examiner who examined Smiths body testified. He found five gunshot entry wounds, all on the left side of the body, along with one exit wound. One wound on Smiths arm suggests that he had been raising his arm to shield himself when shot.
The jacket Smith had been wearing was also analyzed as part of efforts to reconstruct the scene. An FBI expert who tested the bullet holes on the jacket concluded, using the modified griess test (for nitrite residue) and sodium rhodizonate test (for lead), that a hole in the left shoulder area of the jacket was from a bullet shot from under six inches away. Though it wasnt what ultimately killed Smith, it was what the prosecution referred to as the kill shot deliberate and close-range. A shot from such close range would have been muffled by the car, which could explain why some policemen at the scene didnt hear Stockleys fifth shot.
At the end of the third day, several DNA experts testified as witnesses for the state.
DNA just tells you there is DNA present, said St. Louis Police Department DNA expert Karen Pryor.
The only DNA found on the gun in Smiths car had a profile similar to Stockleys, but, as the prosecution said, that does not conclusively prove that Smith did not touch the gun. Regardless, what the DNA appeared to say was this: The probability of the DNA on the Taurus gun in Smiths car being unrelated to Officer Stockley was 1/200 billion in the caucasian population, and even lower in the African-American population, with no indication of an additional individual, touching the gun, according to Pryor.
Stockley waived his right to a jury trial. St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson carries full responsibility for his fate. During the second and third days in the courtroom for the Stockley murder trial, the composition of the audience solidified. On the right was the family of the man who Stockley killed, Anthony Lamar Smith, along with their friends, lawyers, and supporters, as well as some staff members from the St. Louis Circuit Attorneys office. On the left was Stockleys family, and his supporters, including several members of the Police Officers Association who arrived each day.
The right side of the courtroom was almost all black. The left side was almost all white.
After a long week of witnesses for the prosecution, witnesses for the defense are expected to begin testifying next Tuesday, when the trial resumes.
- DNA from baby's remains may identify parents in 50-year-old case in western Pa. - Ellwood City Ledger - July 2nd, 2020
- Cole, Scheck: DNA testing isnt enough. We need the right to fingerprint matching - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - July 2nd, 2020
- Are you a hugger? It might just be in your DNA - Health24 - July 2nd, 2020
- Mitochondrial DNA copy number in cervical exfoliated cells and risk of cervical cancer among HPV-positive women - BMC Blogs Network - July 2nd, 2020
- Hermitage police issue plea, announce DNA probe in 50-year mystery of newborn's remains - TribLIVE - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Reforms are in our DNA' | Business | ekathimerini.com - www.ekathimerini.com - July 2nd, 2020
- DNA Remains Being Tested, Believed to be those of Missing Couple Jonathan and Audrey - NBC Palm Springs - July 2nd, 2020
- Heavy rainfall expected in Mumbai this weekend, orange alert issued - DNA India - July 2nd, 2020
- What is DNA? A look at the basics - Williston Daily Herald - June 24th, 2020
- DNA from ancient Irish tomb reveals incest and an elite class that ruled early farmers - Science Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Essential Role in Rice Reproduction Revealed for "Dark Matter" DNA - Technology Networks - June 24th, 2020
- The DNA that gave us 100 different kinds of tomatoes - National Science Foundation - June 24th, 2020
- Discover: So you want to have your DNA sequenced .... - Sudbury.com - June 24th, 2020
- Don't Fall for the Impossible Promise of DNA Ancestry Kits - Pajiba - June 24th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 24th, 2020
- ArcherDX drops IPO plans in favor of a $1.4B takeover by Invitae - FierceBiotech - June 24th, 2020
- COVID19 Impact- Global DNA and RNA Sample Preparation Market Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Agilent... - June 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic tests positive for COVID-19, joins list of infected tennis players who appeared in Adria Tour - DNA India - June 24th, 2020
- Research on DNA and Gene Chips Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Bio MrieuxSA, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Savyon Diagnostics, Agilent... - June 24th, 2020
- DNA from a 5,200-year-old Irish tomb hints at ancient royal incest - Science News - June 21st, 2020
- China Is Collecting DNA From Tens of Millions of Men and Boys, Using U.S. Equipment - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- DNA Shows Plants Are Extraordinary Chemists Making Love and War - SciTechDaily - June 21st, 2020
- The DNA tricks that gave us 100 different kinds of tomatoes - Yahoo Finance - June 21st, 2020
- Baseball's in her DNA: Reds operations analyst Katie Krall living a dream - The Athletic - June 21st, 2020
- One doesn't have to win the DNA lottery to learn to deal with pain - Manteca Bulletin - June 21st, 2020
- funded study links endometriosis to DNA changes - National Institutes of Health - June 21st, 2020
- Pak-origin 26/11 conspirator Tahawwur Rana arrested in US, likely to be extradited to India - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- How DNA tests can set you on the path to healthy skin and hair - Telegraph.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Watch Solar Eclipse 2020: Here are the Dos and Don'ts to witness the grahan - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- In Switzerland neuroscientists raised a copy of the brain with the DNA of Neanderthals - The Times Hub - June 21st, 2020
- Atletico Madrid vs Real Valladolid, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- What Is DNA? Structure, Function, Pictures & Facts - June 17th, 2020
- DNA test kits on sale: Save on 23andMe, AncestryDNA this Father's Day - Mashable - June 17th, 2020
- UK agrees to share suspects' DNA with EU crime-fighting system - The Guardian - June 17th, 2020
- The 2021 Nissan Rogue is a bit disappointing under the hood - Top Speed - June 17th, 2020
- Taylor Williams: NEW court docs reveal DNA blood stain results, Petty Officer mom going 'wild' with men while starving her little girl [DA] -... - June 17th, 2020
- Study highlights dangers of DNA tests used to back up preexisting ideas of race - The Times of Israel - June 17th, 2020
- Cracking the DNA code - Big Ideas - ABC News - June 17th, 2020
- Direct-to-consumer Disease Risk and Health DNA Test Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026... - June 17th, 2020
- Applied DNA secures grant from National Grid partnered with the New York State MEP to support manufacture of COVID-19 diagnostic kits and vaccine... - June 17th, 2020
- Disease Risk and Health DNA Test Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Barcelona vs Leganes, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to watch on TV - DNA India - June 17th, 2020
- Villarreal vs Mallorca, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to watch on TV - DNA India - June 17th, 2020
- DNA from discarded cigarette leads to arrest in 3-year-old case - Butler Eagle - May 14th, 2020
- Countering the Negative Effects of a Common Antidepressant - Tufts Now - May 14th, 2020
- Canada: DNA discovery lends weight to First Nations ancestral story - The Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- 'Rick and Morty's Anthology Episodes Share the Most DNA with 'Community' - Decider - May 14th, 2020
- DNA/Gene Microarray Market to Reach US$ 7,693.0 Million globally by end of 2027, Owing to Significant Developments in Personalized Medicines - CMI -... - May 14th, 2020
- Genealogy And DNA Testing With Libby Copeland On Wednesday's Access Utah - Utah Public Radio - May 14th, 2020
- DNA and RNA Sample Preparation Kits Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- King Dalindyebo gets backing of AbaThembu faction in royal DNA drama - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- Direct to Consumer (DTC) DNA Test Kits Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- UC Berkeley lab pivots from editing DNA to processing COVID-19 tests - Berkeleyside - March 31st, 2020
- Coroner: DNA will ID victim of fiery collision - The Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Clues to COVID-19 Treatment From DNA of Patients With Severe Forms of Coronavirus Disease - SciTechDaily - March 31st, 2020
- Did DNA evidence identify the real Boston Strangler? - Fox News - March 31st, 2020
- Drake demanded two DNA tests for his son before proudly showing him off to the world - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- The 'Medical Intuitives' Promising to Protect Your DNA Against Coronavirus - VICE - March 31st, 2020
- How is the COVID-19 Virus Detected using Real Time RT-PCR? - International Atomic Energy Agency - March 31st, 2020
- Could New DNA Testing Fully Exonerate The West Memphis Three? - Oxygen - March 31st, 2020
- Applied DNA Ships LinearDNA to Another Development Customer - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- New blood test can detect 50 types of cancer - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Sequencing the genome of the virus behind COVID-19 - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - March 31st, 2020
- 'Solskjaer has Man Utd DNA and brings positivity to the squad' - Everything 'going okay' under Norwegian boss, says Mata - Goal.com - March 31st, 2020
- Why China's Jf-17 Fighter Has American F-16 "DNA" - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020
- The human DNA is littered with fossils of viruses past that attacked us. And lost - Telegraph India - March 31st, 2020
- Canadian Researchers are Attempting to Develop One DNA Vaccine to Stop All Coronaviruses - The Weather Channel - March 31st, 2020
- DNA from bloody towel leads to conviction of Cork city burglar - Echo Live - March 31st, 2020
- Coming back from a crisis is in theatre's DNA just look at the Royal Exchange - WhatsOnStage.com - March 31st, 2020
- 'It is part of a firefighter's DNA to provide help during difficult times' - Yorkshire Evening Post - March 31st, 2020
- DNA explained: Structure and function - March 26th, 2020
- A mother and son reflect on how a DNA test affects family and identity - PBS NewsHour - March 26th, 2020
- MatMaCorps DNA Testing Platform Could Help Protect the U.S. Pork Supply From African Swine Fever - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Exploring the DNA Methylome in mCRPC Through NGS of Plasma DNA Specimens - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- No. 486: On mega-moons, linear DNA and innovative immigrant services and yes, lots of coronavirus stuff - Innovate Long Island - March 26th, 2020
- Review: Witch Prophet's DNA Activation shows the power of family in dark times - NOW Magazine - March 26th, 2020
- Burglar who fled Jesmond home in stolen Audi caught out by DNA on airbag - Chronicle Live - March 26th, 2020
- Lohmann: A DNA test, an old photograph and at long last a new branch on the family tree - Richmond.com - March 24th, 2020
- Home DNA tests reveal more than we bargained for - PRI - March 24th, 2020