The gun found in Anthony Lamar Smiths car after then-St. Louis city police officer Jason Stockley shot and killed him had no trace of Smiths DNA on it, DNA experts testified during the Stockleys murder trial this week.
Stockleys DNA, however, was present on the firearm, which prosecutors said supported their argument that Stockley planted the gun in Smiths car after killing him.
Stockley, a white man, is accused of first-degree murder in the 2011 killing of Smith, a black St. Louis resident.
Stockleys attorneys repeatedly said that it didnt necessarily mean it wasnt Smiths gun. It is possible that the DNA found on that Taurus revolver was only deposited there in the moment when Stockley unloaded the gun after seizing it from the car, the defense said.
The Taurus revolver was presented in court as evidence along with the clothes Smith wore that day, Stockleys department-issued gun and his personal AK-47.
On December 20, 2011, Stockley and his partner, Officer Brian Bianchi, pursued Smith in a high-speed chase after he pulled out of a Churchs Chicken parking lot, hitting the police car in the process. Stockley fired seven shots into the fleeing vehicle, prosecutors said, using a personal weapon, an assault rifle, which violated department policy.
During the pursuit, Stockley is heard on an internal police car video saying, Going to kill this [expletive], dont you know it.
As Smiths car was slowing to a stop, Stockley is also heard telling Bianchi to hit him right now, at which point Bianchi slammed the police SUV into Smiths car.
The airbags deployed. Both cars stopped. Then, within the next few minutes, Stockley got out of his car, walked to the Buick and shot Smith five times. Smith had not left the drivers seat of his car.
Witness Elijah Simpson, a police officer who arrived on the scene almost at the same time as the shooting, testified that shortly afterwards, he went to the drivers side door and lifted up the airbag. He did not see a gun in the car then, though Stockleys defense noted that perhaps the gun was hidden between the seats. He noticed that neither the car nor the victim had been searched, though based on my experience, suspects should be removed from the vehicle and placed in handcuffs, Simpson said.
He called it strange that Stockley left Smiths vehicle, came back, and then searched the vehicle for the gun.
Next, the medical examiner who examined Smiths body testified. He found five gunshot entry wounds, all on the left side of the body, along with one exit wound. One wound on Smiths arm suggests that he had been raising his arm to shield himself when shot.
The jacket Smith had been wearing was also analyzed as part of efforts to reconstruct the scene. An FBI expert who tested the bullet holes on the jacket concluded, using the modified griess test (for nitrite residue) and sodium rhodizonate test (for lead), that a hole in the left shoulder area of the jacket was from a bullet shot from under six inches away. Though it wasnt what ultimately killed Smith, it was what the prosecution referred to as the kill shot deliberate and close-range. A shot from such close range would have been muffled by the car, which could explain why some policemen at the scene didnt hear Stockleys fifth shot.
At the end of the third day, several DNA experts testified as witnesses for the state.
DNA just tells you there is DNA present, said St. Louis Police Department DNA expert Karen Pryor.
The only DNA found on the gun in Smiths car had a profile similar to Stockleys, but, as the prosecution said, that does not conclusively prove that Smith did not touch the gun. Regardless, what the DNA appeared to say was this: The probability of the DNA on the Taurus gun in Smiths car being unrelated to Officer Stockley was 1/200 billion in the caucasian population, and even lower in the African-American population, with no indication of an additional individual, touching the gun, according to Pryor.
Stockley waived his right to a jury trial. St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson carries full responsibility for his fate. During the second and third days in the courtroom for the Stockley murder trial, the composition of the audience solidified. On the right was the family of the man who Stockley killed, Anthony Lamar Smith, along with their friends, lawyers, and supporters, as well as some staff members from the St. Louis Circuit Attorneys office. On the left was Stockleys family, and his supporters, including several members of the Police Officers Association who arrived each day.
The right side of the courtroom was almost all black. The left side was almost all white.
After a long week of witnesses for the prosecution, witnesses for the defense are expected to begin testifying next Tuesday, when the trial resumes.
- DNA site helps reunite Washington woman with her son after nearly 60 years - WTHR - December 2nd, 2019
- Can this wristband create your own bespoke DNA diet? - The Telegraph - December 2nd, 2019
- Returning to country: we should use genetics, geology and more to repatriate Aboriginal remains - The Conversation AU - December 2nd, 2019
- DNA - definition of DNA by The Free Dictionary - November 30th, 2019
- DNA India | Latest News, Live Breaking News on India ... - November 30th, 2019
- DNA | definition of DNA by Medical dictionary - November 30th, 2019
- Scientists Discover Structure of Mysterious Protein Central to the Functioning of DNA - SciTechDaily - November 30th, 2019
- DNAs Elusive Chaperone Is Caught in the Act - Technology Networks - November 30th, 2019
- DNA Test Leads To Thanksgiving Reunion 37 Years In The Making - CBS Denver - November 30th, 2019
- Hundreds of Victim and Witness DNA Profiles Removed From New York City Database - The Appeal - November 30th, 2019
- DNA Identifies Northern California Victim After 18 Years - NBC Bay Area - November 30th, 2019
- Dear Abby: Im afraid DNA test will reveal a secret to our 11-year-old - The Mercury News - November 30th, 2019
- DNA confirms remains are those of missing Florida 5-year-old Taylor Rose Williams - NBC News - November 30th, 2019
- A conserved ATP- and Scc2/4-dependent activity for cohesin in tethering DNA molecules - Science Advances - November 30th, 2019
- The new DNA test that predicts your future health - The Times - November 30th, 2019
- Buried Secrets: The DNA journey for a 91-year-old man to find his mother for the very first time - WFAA.com - November 30th, 2019
- Family Found: After DNA tests revealed my long-lost sisters, I received shocking information about who my father was - KMOV.com - November 30th, 2019
- DNA tourism: Tracing ancestry on a wild trip in Sweden leads to rewards and a dapper souvenir - The Spokesman-Review - November 17th, 2019
- 'Potomac River Rapist' serially assaulted women in DC area in '90s, and police have suspect - USA TODAY - November 17th, 2019
- Scientists Find How Mitochondrial DNA is Transferred from Mother to Child - Mitochondrial Disease News - November 17th, 2019
- 23andMes wildly popular $200 DNA test is already down to its Black Friday price of $99 - BGR - November 17th, 2019
- DHS Sued for Answers About Its Use of DNA Testing at the Border - Newsweek - November 15th, 2019
- This wristband tells you what food to buy based on your DNA - World Economic Forum - November 15th, 2019
- Researchers Find More Than 1 Million Alternatives to DNA - ExtremeTech - November 15th, 2019
- The Dawn of Cheap and Easy DNA Writing - NEO.LIFE - November 15th, 2019
- Ant and Decs DNA test merely tells us that were all inbred - The Guardian - November 15th, 2019
- Never could have dreamed this: DNA ancestry test kit leads Wanda Starke on journey to find sister - WXII12 Winston-Salem - November 15th, 2019
- Could The F-35 Really Be American-Built (But Have Russian 'DNA') - The National Interest Online - November 15th, 2019
- Dog DNA Tests: How to discover what your dogs true breed is? - WCBD News 2 - November 15th, 2019
- Her sister was murdered in 1980. New DNA methods could crack the case, but NY won't allow it. - NBC News - November 15th, 2019
- DNA, blood samples support theory Kelsey Berreth was killed in her condo - KMVT - November 15th, 2019
- Why some believe and others reject that DNA could vindicate man executed for murder - Commercial Appeal - November 15th, 2019
- Give me your tired, your poor and your DNA | TheHill - The Hill - November 15th, 2019
- Researchers use CRISPR to eliminate HIV in mice, DNA and all - Massive Science - November 15th, 2019
- Ancestry launches DNA health service that will compete with 23andMe - USA TODAY - October 16th, 2019
- Researchers hope DNA testing may finally prove whether bones found on a remote island were Amelia Earhart's - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Its Possible to Inherit More DNA From One Parent Than the Other - The Atlantic - October 16th, 2019
- DNA is the future for data storage. That future is coming very soon. - SynBioBeta - October 16th, 2019
- Researchers hope DNA may prove whether bones found on remote island were Amelia Earhart's - WAPT Jackson - October 16th, 2019
- Why DNA Might Be the Data Storage Solution of the Future - Discover Magazine - October 16th, 2019
- DNA proved British pedophile fathered 6 kids with his own daughter - New York Post - October 16th, 2019
- Over 150,000 Americans Have Rare DNA Fluke and Don't Know It, Study of 23andMe Data Finds - Gizmodo - October 16th, 2019
- DNA kits available in Oregon vending machine - WDTN.com - October 16th, 2019
- Applied DNA Partners with Molecular Isotope Technologies to Elevate CertainT for Brand Assurance and Provenance - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Have Natalee Holloway's Remains Finally Been Found? DNA Results Promising, Says Report - Hollywood Life - August 25th, 2017
- Researchers encoded a film clip in DNA and store it inside a living ... - Boing Boing - August 25th, 2017
- New DNA evidence links Warren Forrest to 2 killings - The Columbian - August 25th, 2017
- Missouri governor stays execution of Marcellus Williams, says officials will probe DNA evidence in the case - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Danish police: DNA from dismembered body matches missing journalist - CNN - August 25th, 2017
- Missouri governor stays execution of convicted killer amid new DNA evidence - CNN - August 22nd, 2017
- Intelligence and the DNA Revolution - Scientific American - August 22nd, 2017
- White Supremacists Aren't Thrilled With DNA Testing Results - GOOD Magazine - August 22nd, 2017
- How white supremacists respond when their DNA says they're not 'white' - PBS NewsHour - August 20th, 2017
- I sent in my DNA to get a personalized diet plan. What I discovered disturbs me. - Chicago Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Federal Funding Cuts Put Missing Persons and John Doe Cases on the Back Burner - TIME - August 20th, 2017
- Scientists Try Gene Editing In Human Embryos : Shots - Health ... - NPR - August 20th, 2017
- Birding: DNA technology gives us new insights into taxonomy - Press Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Updating DNA's Life Story - The New York Times - New York Times - August 20th, 2017
- I sent in my DNA for a personalized nutritional blueprint. Here's what ... - Washington Post - August 20th, 2017
- Kirk Frost Finally Takes DNA Test After Months Of Dodging Jasmine Washington: Why He Finally Agreed - Hollywood Life - August 18th, 2017
- White supremacists take DNA tests, find they're not so white - CNET - August 18th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's Dad Having Human Remains Tested For DNA - HuffPost - August 18th, 2017
- Let's enjoy the white supremacist freakout after DNA tests show they aren't 100 percent white - Salon - August 18th, 2017
- Ask Amy: DNA testing reveals family secret - The Denver Post - August 18th, 2017
- DNA tests confirm Southern Bluefin Tuna on menu in mainland China - TRAFFIC - Wildlife Trade News - August 18th, 2017
- Supremacists may be 'fine' folks, but first give them DNA tests - Lexington Herald Leader - August 18th, 2017
- Misplaced DNA evidence in sexual assault case found in Houston lab office - Chron.com - August 16th, 2017
- Despite Privacy Concerns, Miami Beach Police Testing "Rapid DNA" Scans on Suspects - Miami New Times - August 16th, 2017
- DNA evidence prompts New Milford police to charge Oxford man in 2014 robbery - Danbury News Times - August 16th, 2017
- Impaired DNA replication can cause epigenetic changes inherited for several generations - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Scientists develop blood test that spots tumor-derived DNA in people with early-stage cancers - Medical Xpress - August 16th, 2017
- Wednesday's Post: The science of DNA is simply amazing - Journal-Times - August 16th, 2017
- Researchers Hacked Into DNA and Encoded it With Malware - Futurism - August 16th, 2017
- Gina Barreca: White Supremacists Wrong, It's Not Our DNA - Hartford Courant - August 16th, 2017
- Brown, Red And Purple Lines Are Back Running After Morning Shutdown - DNAinfo - August 15th, 2017
- How head-on collisions of DNA protein machines stop replication - Phys.Org - August 15th, 2017
- 45 bodies recovered from Marawi up for DNA tests: PNP - ABS-CBN News - August 15th, 2017
- How does DNA testing work, what are ancestry DNA kits and which celebrities have taken DNA tests? - The Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Spoto High History teacher raising money for DNA project - WTSP 10 News - August 14th, 2017
- Man pleads guilty to Lancaster rape after crime scene DNA match - LancasterOnline - August 14th, 2017