Hwang Woo-suk, a South Korean stem cell scientist who caused a major stir in the scientific community for academic fraud in 2005, has recently lost a legal battle over the rights to a technique critical to re-creating the woolly mammoth.
According to local reports Tuesday, Hwang had filed a criminal complaint against Park Se-pil of Jeju National University and his research colleagues, accusing them of embezzlement and attempted blackmail.
However, the Seoul Eastern District Prosecutors Office said it did not find sufficient evidence of the claims against Park and his team, closing the case that had been open for years.
The plan was to replicate the mammoth cells in a lab. From the copied cells, researchers would extract the nucleus, which contains the animals genetic information. The nucleus would then be inserted into the eggs of female elephants, the closest living relatives to the now-extinct animal.
Hwangs mammoth cloning project had garnered international attention at the time, even prompting National Geographic to air a detailed documentary on the Korean scientist and his work in 2013.
However, Hwang and his Russian research partners ran into technological hurdles even before the cloning process could begin. For years, the team continuously failed to artificially cultivate the mammoth cells in the lab.
In 2015, Hwang recruited the help of Park and his team, who claimed they were able to successfully cultivate the mammoth cells needed for the nucleus transplant, based on the samples provided by Hwang.
Hwang and Park ended up clashing over the ownership of the cell cultivation technology. Hwang argued that Parks work constitutes a part of his own research and that he thus possesses the sole rights related to all the related experimental methods.
Meanwhile, Park claimed Hwang provided the mammoth cells without prior conditions and the research should be considered a collaborative effort, as his teams cell cultivation method plays a critical role.
According to records, Park refused to hand over his work to Hwang without signing proper terms of agreement, stating that he would rather dispose of the cultivated mammoth cells than freely pass them on to Hwang.
Hwang then sued Park and his team on embezzlement and attempted blackmail. However, the prosecution decided not to pursue the charges of the alleged offenses earlier this month.
The recent investigation has also prompted new allegations that Hwang illegally imported the mammoth samples into Korea without duly reporting to local authorities. Hwang has denied such allegations to the prosecution, according to local reports.
Hwang Woo-suk, 64, is a former professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Seoul National University. He was placed at the center of one of the worlds biggest scientific scandals in 2005 for fabricating evidence he had successfully cloned human embryos and yielded stem cell lines from them.
Recently, the disgraced scientist rose to the domestic spotlight for being a close collaborator to Sunchon National University professor Park Ki-young, who was recently appointed as the new chief of the Science, Technology and Innovation Office at Koreas Ministry of Science and ICT.
However, Park, who had been a co-author of Hwangs fraudulent research paper in 2005, resigned from her post last week after the local science community and politicians fiercely opposed her appointment, citing ethical lapses.
By Sohn Ji-young (email@example.com)
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 8th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market 2025 Expected to reach HIghest CAGR : IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, Microsoft - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- MSP Gail Ross victim of online identify theft - Northern Times - July 8th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- It's Time to Rethink How You Handle Cloning Out Distractions - Fstoppers - July 5th, 2020
- The best sci-fi movies about cloning - Looper - July 5th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants: Acronis, Symantec, Microsoft, Paramount Software - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Thieves cloning ATM cards to steal cash | Local News | times-news.com - Cumberland Times-News - June 20th, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Theory: The Jim Hopper In Russia Is A CLONE - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 'Stranger Things' Season 4 theory suggests Hopper clone - International Business Times UK - June 17th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2018-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- Developing Qt5 applications natively on Wind River Linux - WIND - June 1st, 2020
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - May 11th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet | NHGRI - Genome.gov - May 11th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 11th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Research Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2025 - Express Journal - May 11th, 2020
- Measuring the Impact: Demand for Disk Cloning Imaging Software Product Augmented by Global Outbreak of COVID-330 - 3rd Watch News - May 11th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 29th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Bored of Zoom Meetings? Build a Digital Clone to Attend for You - Voicebot.ai - April 11th, 2020
- Scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep 'in talks over coronavirus treatment' - Metro.co.uk - April 11th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons item cloning exploit lets devious players rake in the Bells - Eurogamer.net - March 24th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2025 - Express Journal - March 24th, 2020
- I would clone my dog and Im not ashamed to admit it - The Guardian - March 5th, 2020
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Novelization Reveals Rey's Father is a Failed Palpatine Clone - /FILM - March 5th, 2020
- Send In The Clones - Escalon Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cheque cloning in Kochi: How north Indian racket scammed banks of Rs 2.6 cr - THE WEEK - March 5th, 2020
- Spy vs Spy: cloned phones, break-ins and rogue agents all in a days work at the State Security central - Daily Maverick - March 5th, 2020
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 6th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 28th, 2019
- The Mandalorian fans think episode 5 ending teases Boba Fettheres why - Polygon - December 13th, 2019
- DNA Embedded Into Everyday Objects Creates Perfect Clones of the Stanford Bunny - Nature World News - December 13th, 2019
- Dead dogs and cats cloned by grieving owners to have a piece of them back' - Daily Star - December 13th, 2019
- Huge Outlay on Voice Cloning Market Growth Analysis and Forecasting with Major Players are Baidu Inc, Google LLC, Lyrebird.ai, iSpeech AG, VivoText... - December 13th, 2019
- Master the art of face swapping with OpenCV and Python by Sylwek Brzczkowski, developer at TrustStamp - Packt Hub - December 13th, 2019
- In the digital age fraudsters dupe AIIMS of 12 crore by cloning cheques and signatures - National Herald - November 30th, 2019
- How The Mandalorian could unravel The Rise of Skywalkers biggest mysteries - Digital Trends - November 30th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker': This 'Mandalorian' Baby Yoda Fan Theory Could Explain Everything - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- When The Mandalorian takes place and what it means for Baby Yoda - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory: 'Mandalorian' cloning could retcon Rey's origins - Inverse - November 17th, 2019
- 'Watchmen': How Lady Trieu May Connect to Ozymandias's Clone Factory - Decider - November 17th, 2019
- The Mandalorian: Did Dr. Pershings patch give away his intentions? - Dork Side of the Force - November 17th, 2019
- Star Wars Theory: The Mandalorians Baby Yoda Is A Clone - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Facebook on the Road to Copy Instagram: Popular Photos in the Making - Digital Information World - November 17th, 2019
- Rick and Morty: Operation Phoenix Is the Universe's Most Dangerous Weapon - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 17th, 2019
- The Star Wars movies debrief: Attack Of The Clones recap, legacy and best bits - Den of Geek UK - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- The Mandalorian Hints at the Return of Kamino Cloning | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 14th, 2019
- Here's a The Mandalorian Clone Theory and What It Could Mean - /FILM - November 14th, 2019
- Voice Cloning Market Industry Insights, Top Trends, Drivers, Growth and Forecast to 2028 - Downey Magazine - November 14th, 2019
- Facebook Tried to Acquire Musical.ly For Six Months In 2016 - Digital Music News - November 14th, 2019
- Is tissue culture the future of growing cannabis? - Leafly - November 14th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 13th, 2017