Click here to download and save as a PDF.
As the board wobbles gently beneath me, I manage to clamber to my feet and paddle off across Ocean Cays calm lagoon. My stand-up paddleboarding skills are functional rather than stylish I can get around, and love doing it, but its hardly graceful. You can see the effort. Im the opposite of the proverbial swan that glides along elegantly without showing that its paddling furiously beneath.
Unlike me, Ocean Cay itself is very much the swan of cruise lines private islands. On the surface, its all about low effort, maximum reward. Expansive white beaches are lined with loungers; bars right on the sand dispense giant cocktails; and theres a secluded spa, where you can have a massage in a shady cabana as the sea breezes ruffle your hair.
If youre trying to tempt cruisers back onto the water, this is the way to do it.
Theres a lot more to Ocean Cay than meets the eye, however. This swan has had to paddle like hell to get where it is today after starting off as rather an ugly duckling.
Large areas of coral have been replanted, replacing and creating reefs to enrich the marine ecosystem.
When MSC Cruises leased the site from the Bahamian government, it wasnt a particularly pretty prospect. Formerly a sand-mining facility, the island resembled a rubbish dump. I snorkelled here before we cleaned it up, and you couldnt see the seabed for tyres and cables, says Michelle McGregor, Ocean Cays manager.
The clean-up operation was massive. Chemical spills were remediated, and more than 1,500 tons of scrap metal was removed. Then 5,000 trees and 75,000 plants and shrubs were introduced. Perhaps most significantly, a 64-square-mile marine reserve was created around the island. Large areas of coral have been replanted, replacing and creating reefs to enrich the marine ecosystem.
All trace of Ocean Cays industrial past is gone. Now, visitors will find a pristine island with two miles of platinum beaches lapped by clear, Bahamas-blue water the only clue that it hasnt always been this way is the somewhat diminutive height of the palm trees, and these wont take long to grow.
The chance to reverse Ocean Cays ecological fortunes was all part of the appeal for the cruise line. It would have been simpler and cheaper to lease an untouched island where nature thrived intact, but this was a chance to make good on the lines commitment to sustainability, which has seen it make marine operations carbon neutral, develop LNG-powered ships and set a target to eliminate single-use plastics.
With cruise operations suspended for the best part of a year, the ecosystem around Ocean Cay has had even more time to rebound, ready for visitors to see it at its best.
Ocean Cays radical recovery programme has turned a site that had almost no value either to tourists or wildlife and resurrected it, to the benefit of both. And with cruise operations suspended for the best part of a year, the ecosystem around Ocean Cay has had even more time to rebound, ready for visitors to see it at its best.
Environmentally, the process isnt over. An onisland research centre is being developed that will give scientists and students a permanent base from which to work, monitoring local marine populations and undertaking a study into supercorals tougher strains that can survive the effects of climate change.
Lifes a beach
While Ocean Cays environmental credentials are key for MSC Cruises, guests can choose how much attention they wish to pay to the green agenda. On the island, drinks are served in reusable glasses, straws are biodegradable, and reef-friendly sunscreen is encouraged, but beyond that, visitors wont find sustainability shoved in their faces.
Food trucks and bars on almost every beach mean sustenance is always just a few steps away, though theres a lively main bar and a central buffet for more choice.
The main focus is relaxation. There are eight beaches, including one dedicated to families, a secluded stretch of sand near the spa, and a private beach with butler service for Yacht Club guests, alongside their own stylish clubhouse. Food trucks and bars on almost every beach mean sustenance is always just a few steps away, though theres a lively main bar and a central buffet for more choice and a buzzier atmosphere.
Active guests will love the watersports on offer, from kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding to snorkelling and scuba diving. As the sun sets, a traditional Bahamian Junkanoo Parade with costumed dancers stretches around from the main bar to Ocean Cays striking red and white lighthouse. When its fully dark, theres a spectacular light show the tower itself flaring up, illuminated by 23,000 bulbs. Theyre energy-efficient LEDs, of course
Spice up your sunbathing by hiring a cabana, a floating beach mat or an inflatable raft.
Cruise around with minimum effort on an electric pedalo, or take a boozy boat trip on a rum-soaked catamaran excursion.
In the evening, book a sunset beach picnic or champagne cruise, then finish up with a beachside stargazing session.
See how the environment has bounced back with a snorkelling trip in the marine reserve, where you glide over a sunken shipwreck populated by tropical fish, endangered corals, stingrays and a resident pod of dolphins.
Take a guided trip by kayak or stand-up paddleboard, or rent equipment and go it alone.
Scale the 165 steps to the top of the candy-striped lighthouse for the ultimate sea view.
The action doesnt have to stop when the sun goes down rent a special stand-up paddleboard fitted with LED lights and you can glide around the lagoon under the stars.
All MSC Cruises ships sailing from Miami and Port Canaveral will call at Ocean Cay as part of their Caribbean itineraries. In winter 2021-22, this includes MSC vessels Armonia, Divina, Meraviglia and Seashore, and for summer 2022, Divina and Seashore. Prices start from 369 for a seven-night sailing (cruise-only).msccruises.co.uk
The most hotly anticipated expedition ships launching in 2021How to restore your clients confidence in cruise for 2021What to expect from cruise lines in 2021
This is a community-moderated forum.All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas In April - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2021
- When is the best time to go to The Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - April 6th, 2021
- Embarrassing state report on The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- TRYP Air Charter takes flight to the islands of The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Florida's Senators Continue the Fight to Stop Drilling off the Bahamas - Florida Daily - April 6th, 2021
- Teresa Giudice's Daughters Glowed in Gorgeous Easter Outfits in the Bahamas - Yahoo Entertainment - April 6th, 2021
- STRICTER MEASURES: Travelers from Harbour Island & Eleuthera to rest of Bahamas must have negative RT-PCR test - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- REINFORCEMENTS: COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX Facility touchdown in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- BY THE NUMBERS: PLP says it's impossible to have parity with current boundaries - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- PLAY FAIR: BCC says campaigning and public events should be treated equally - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Concern mounts on possible third wave - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Perfect Day@CocoCay manager reflects on year of suspended sailing - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- BEST BEHAVIOR: PM cautions Easter activities and cases will guide future restrictions - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Guyana recovers from opening round loss to T&T with big 4-0 win over Bahamas - sportsmax.tv - April 6th, 2021
- Restoration work completed at Grand Bahama's Genesis Academy - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Post-Pandemic, the Caribbean needs to present a new face to the world - The Parliament Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Cameron Riley wins the first individual title of his NCAA career - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Bahamas Links With The Secret Sisters For Half Your Love From Live To Tape Series - uDiscover Music - March 31st, 2021
- Private island in the Bahamas goes up for auction Friday - Islander News.com - March 31st, 2021
- Joe Giudice Twins With His Daughters During Their Reunion in the Bahamas - Bravo - March 31st, 2021
- Bahamas ambassador talks climate initiatives at the American Chamber of Commerce to the EU meeting - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- TRANSNATIONAL CRIME: $3.1 million cocaine bust on Eleuthera believed to have overseas connections - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- PAHO: Bahamas will not receive shipment this week - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- Bahamas endures 4-0 loss to St Kitts and Nevis at home - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- Gia Giudice Shows Her Incredible Bikini Collection While Visiting Joe in the Bahamas - Bravo - March 31st, 2021
- Soccer: SKN Remain Unbeaten with Win Over Bahamas - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Ex-Bahamas broker in new US accusations - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- ROUND TWO: BPC looks to continue oil exploration in The Bahamas for another three years - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines to arrive this week Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- The Bahamas Re-Welcomes Travelers to the Caribbean - Vax-Before-Travel - March 31st, 2021
- STILL WAITING: Dahl-Regis says PAHO due to receive The Bahamas' vaccine allotment on April 4 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- COVID vaccines rolled out on Eleuthera; further expansion set for next week - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- Tourism must be 'realistic' over vaccination roll-out - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- THEY ONLY TERRORIZE US: Some young Bahamian men losing trust in RBPF in light of police brutality claims - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- NO END IN SIGHT: AG says no easing of COVID restrictions foreseen - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean will begin Bahamas cruises for vaccinated passengers starting in June - KIRO Seattle - March 21st, 2021
- Thanks to Bahamas Bowl, Elk Grove gas station breaks ground Friday - Daily Herald - March 21st, 2021
- Ed Armbrister, Big Red Machine member and Bahamas Sports Hall of Famer, dies at 72 - The Cincinnati Enquirer - March 21st, 2021
- ArawakX to be first licensed equity crowdfunding platform in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - March 21st, 2021
- Sears to run for president of Bahamas Softball Federation - Bahamas Tribune - March 21st, 2021
- PHOTOS: Southern Charm Star Madison LeCroy Vacations In The Bahamas Amid A-Rod Drama As The Ex-MLB Player Shows PDA With J-Lo As He Attempts To Save... - March 21st, 2021
- SLS And Rosewood Baha Mar Reopen Today In Nassau, The Bahamas, Completing The Return Of Baha Mar Resort Destination - PRNewswire - March 5th, 2021
- Humans Arrived in Northern Bahamas Earlier than Thought | Archaeology - Sci-News.com - March 5th, 2021
- Study: Bahamas Were Settled Earlier Than Believed - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - March 5th, 2021
- Home of the Week: Faith Hill and Tim McGraws Private Island in the Bahamas Lists for $35 Million - Robb Report - March 5th, 2021
- The Bahamas Goes Virtual - Sharing Island Romance in a Modern World - PRNewswire - March 5th, 2021
- The Bahamas kicks off first-ever virtual romance expo with over 1,000 travel agents - Travelweek - March 5th, 2021
- Humans settled the Bahamas earlier than we thought - Futurity: Research News - March 5th, 2021
- The best all-inclusive hotels in the Bahamas, from value-packed resorts to boutique diving properties - The Telegraph - March 5th, 2021
- Bahamas a 'trailblazer' for workplace relations - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2021
- Letter to the PM: Tour operators letter on Bahamas oil exploration - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2021
- Bahamas has highest on-time VAT filing rates in the region, IDB study reveals - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2021
- CARRY THE BRAND: PM calls on regularized citizens to drop Haitian-Bahamian title - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2021
- Govt revenue boost expected with launch of digital payment solution for charter fees - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2021
- How to Live in the Caribbean for a Year - Caribbean Journal - March 5th, 2021
- The troubles of tourism in the COVID-19 era Caribbean - The Suffolk Journal - March 5th, 2021
- CARDED AT BIRTH: NIB and Immigration Dept working on national ID card - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2021
- COVID-19 Status - The Bahamas - February 4th, 2021
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas In February - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- The Bahamas Maps & Facts - World Atlas - February 4th, 2021
- D'Aguilar: Bahamas very close to monetizing airspace - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- Brennen: Bahamas likely to access more than one COVID-19 vaccine - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- City of Coral Gables Commission calls for BPC's licenses to be revoked; push for ban on offshore drilling in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- IC Bahamas Junior Series hosts its first tennis tournament of the year - Bahamas Tribune - February 4th, 2021
- Commonwealth Brewery Limited and Bahama Barrels join forces for new wine brand - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- NHI: We'll protect 90% of Bahamians by 2025 - Bahamas Tribune - February 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: What about the suffering Sky Bahamas employees? - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- Weddings of a Lifetime offering Galentine's Treatzza Day to one lucky winner - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- Cut the nonsense and pay us: Nurses protest in Rawson Square - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- BREEF official makes list of 50 people who are changing the world - EyeWitness News - February 4th, 2021
- Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident near Bahamas home - LBC - January 25th, 2021
- Bahamas Announce New Series Live To Tape, Set To Feature Appearances From The 400 Unit, Lucious, Secret Sisters And More - mxdwn.com - January 25th, 2021
- Hailey Baldwin says everythings better in the Bahamas as she poses in tiny bikini - Fox News - January 25th, 2021
- Bert Bell, a Legend and Pillar of Bahamas Swimming, Has Died - SwimSwam - January 25th, 2021
- Sunshine Insurance Marathon Bahamas celebrates its 12th anniversary virtually - Bahamas Tribune - January 25th, 2021
- ORG looking to reach 500 MSMEs in northern Bahamas - EyeWitness News - January 25th, 2021
- Check it out! Hailey and Justin Bieber have some fun in sun in the Bahamas - HOLA USA - January 25th, 2021
- Island Vacations - The Official Website of The Bahamas - January 21st, 2021
- Bahamas Vacations - Hotels, Mega Resorts, and Fishing Lodges - January 21st, 2021
- Bahamas to rebound 'faster' than its rivals - Bahamas Tribune - January 21st, 2021