NEW DELHI: Opposition vice presidential candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi today alleged that direct and indirect attacks are being made on freedom of belief, thought and speech and that a "new partition of a psychological" nature is being sown in the minds.
He also said that there was need to stop the "projectiles of communalism" in their tracks.
Explaining the context in which his election is held, Gandhi in a letter to the public said though the partition is now a thing of the post, yet a "new partition of a psychological division is being sown in our minds and "we must stop the projectiles of communalism".
The letter has been written for the common people, days after he sought a debate with NDA candidate Venkaiah Naidu on the role of the vice president.
"Direct and indirect attacks are being made on democratic freedoms of belief, thought and speech. And institutions serving public causes feel a palpable pressure on them to conform where they wish to dissent, to be silent where they wish to speak up," he said in his letter.
Gandhi also said, "When it comes to mutual trust, intolerance and bigotry have risen to an all-time high."
He said six months from now will mark the 70th year of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination and the wounds of partition.
"That Partition is now a fact, the riots of 1946-47 a thing of the past. And yet a new partition is being sown in our minds, a psychological division.
"As the late philosopher Ramchandra Gandhi put it, the Mahatma, on his way to prayer, was not stopped by three bullets of hate. Rather, he stopped with his heart full of prayer, those three bullets in their track. We must stop the projectiles of communalism in their tracks," he said.
Mahatma's grandson also said that the ideals of Freedom, Justice, Equality, drawn from the goals and values of our great struggle for Independence in the 70th year of independent India, "have acquired a compelling urgency. They are facing challenges."
While hailing the Election Commission for conduct of free and fair polls, he asked, "We have to also ask ourselves: In the larger arena of free choices, how free are we? Are we free of fear? Are we free to choose our way of life, our forms of thought and expression? Are we free to tell the bully and the bull-dozer in high office or on the street corner, off?."
He also asked whether one is free and able to "tell giant industries to not pollute our rivers, our air and not to dump their toxic waste in our environment".
He also described the two Constitutional offices of the president and vice president are the "fountain-heads of our Republic's very life stream".
Quoting the first vice president of India, he said, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan entreated - 'Look far ahead, be not short-sighted'.
"Let us pledge ourselves to India's greatness in freedom, justice and in an unbreakable inter-community bond, bringing us the gift of peace," he said.
- Facebook and Zuckerberg keep getting freedom of expression wrong - The Next Web - January 21st, 2020
- Sheffield Arena urged to cancel event by 'homophobic' Trump ally - The Guardian - January 21st, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Affirms Anti-Libel Injunction, Rejects Overbroad Portion - Reason - January 21st, 2020
- What we still havent learned from Gamergate - Vox.com - January 21st, 2020
- Montclair State Univ. Sued for 'Unconstitutional' Speech Policy and Favoring One Student Group Over Another Based on Their Beliefs - CBN News - January 21st, 2020
- POV: Trump's Executive Order Aimed at Protecting Jews Will Have a Chilling Effect on Freedom of Speech at Colleges - BU Today - December 21st, 2019
- 92% of Americans think their basic rights are being threatened, new poll shows - USA TODAY - December 21st, 2019
- Trump's Executive Order Targets Federal Funding to Universities in Suppression of Speech on Palestinian Rights - International Middle East Media... - December 21st, 2019
- Washington State's Mike Leach responds to Donald Trump impeachment: 'I'm yet to hear what he did wrong' - Sports and Weather Right Now - December 21st, 2019
- Impeachment won't slow the global rise of the radical right but an alternative vision might - Salon - December 21st, 2019
- Over Regulating Intermediaries: Threat To Free Speech? - Inc42 Media - December 15th, 2019
- Charter of Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom to be adopted - News - The University of Sydney - December 15th, 2019
- Is YouTube Cracking Down on Free Speech With New 'Harassment Policy'? - NewsBusters - December 15th, 2019
- Johnson orders universities to protect freedom of speech - Stock Daily Dish - December 15th, 2019
- Freedom of speech must trump safe spaces in universities, minister says - Stock Daily Dish - December 15th, 2019
- Alberta premier says energy war room will be respectful as it takes on critics - CFJC Today Kamloops - December 15th, 2019
- Amnesty International Canada Questions Freedom of Speech and Assembly - Reason - December 13th, 2019
- Why we need to stop believing freedom of speech is a dangerous thing - Marie Claire UK - December 13th, 2019
- Drawing the Line: When Does Freedom of Speech Go Too Far? - SUNY The New Paltz Oracle - December 13th, 2019
- RTI is Inbuilt within Right to Freedom of Speech and Expression, says Bombay HC - Moneylife - December 13th, 2019
- Opinion: The clear line between hate speech and free speech - DW (English) - November 26th, 2019
- Appleton school board signs off on policy that some say endangers free speech, others see as a constitutional safeguard - Post-Crescent - November 26th, 2019
- What to Be Thankful For | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Universities Enabling the Hijacking of Free Speech When Jews are Involved - The Times of Israel - November 26th, 2019
- Documentary Takes Aim At Higher Eds Free Speech Violations - Washington Free Beacon - November 26th, 2019
- Should the First Amendment protect language deemed to be hate speech? - The Vector: NJIT's Student Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Fight to protect your freedom of speech - The Saint - November 26th, 2019
- Improv joke reaction: What about free speech? - Mount Airy News - November 26th, 2019
- Trump defends Yovanovitch attack: 'I have freedom of speech' | TheHill - The Hill - November 17th, 2019
- 'Critical Infrastructure' Bill Is a Major Threat to Freedom of Speech - Shepherd Express - November 17th, 2019
- Free speech rights a concern in Wisconsin water resolution - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 17th, 2019
- Freedom of speech and freedom from lies - Opinion - Cape Cod Times - November 17th, 2019
- Trump: 'I Have Freedom of Speech Just as Other People Do' - MRCTV - November 17th, 2019
- Freedom of speech and its consequences - BCLocalNews - November 17th, 2019
- Free speech in Canada: It was bad five years ago. Do you think it's gotten better since? - National Post - November 17th, 2019
- The American Internet Sucks. The Alternative Is China. - BuzzFeed News - November 17th, 2019
- On free speech, a new era and that blocking thing | Editorial - Chico Enterprise-Record - October 27th, 2019
- Sydney University to consider updating Freedom of Speech Charter - News - The University of Sydney - October 27th, 2019
- SABAG: Promoting Anti-Semitism By Perverting The Freedom Of Speech - The Daily Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Analysis: The Long Arm Of China And Free Speech - NPR - October 11th, 2019
- There are differences between free speech, hate speech and academic freedom and they matter - The Conversation AU - October 11th, 2019
- The Coalition: Where protesting free speech is only a right for the Right - Independent Australia - October 11th, 2019
- Free Speech Moment for Facebook! Platform Allows Trump Ad That CNN Banned - NewsBusters - October 11th, 2019
- Is Free Speech an Absolute Right, or Does Context Matter? - New York Times - August 25th, 2017
- UC Berkeley tries to reclaim its free speech legacy - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Unlikely Allies Join Fight To Protect Free Speech On The Internet - NPR - August 25th, 2017
- 73% Say Freedom of Speech Worth Dying For - Rasmussen Reports - August 25th, 2017
- Poll: 85 Percent Say Freedom of Speech More Important Than Not ... - Breitbart News - August 25th, 2017
- When 'free speech' becomes a political weapon - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Alt-Right 'America First' Rallies Move Online After Boston 'Free Speech' Protest Is Overrun - Newsweek - August 22nd, 2017
- A free-speech rally, minus the free speech - The Boston Globe - August 22nd, 2017
- Freedom of speech is for all - The Register-Guard - August 22nd, 2017
- The Fight Over Free Speech Online - The New Yorker - August 22nd, 2017
- Free Speech: The Left Moves In for the Kill - PJ Media - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Even Nazis Deserve Free Speech - POLITICO Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- So, just how guaranteed is your freedom of speech online? - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Our View: With freedom of speech comes great responsibility - HollandSentinel.com - August 20th, 2017
- Is hate speech protected by American law? Quartz - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Fighting Neo-Nazis and the Future of Free Expression - EFF - August 18th, 2017
- Free Speech and Assembly in Hong Kong - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech comes at a price - Spectrum News - August 16th, 2017
- Strange bedfellows: The ACLU, free speech and Neo-Nazis - ABC News - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech and White Supremacy at Texas A & M (and elsewhere) - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- College Responds To Hosting Panel On Free Speech By Canceling It - The Daily Caller - August 16th, 2017
- Q&A: Experts break down Freedom of Speech, what it means - KCRA Sacramento - August 15th, 2017
- Illinois' abortion notification law harms free speech - Chicago Tribune - August 11th, 2017
- Free-speech rights don't apply in the American workplace, as Google demonstrates - Quartz - August 9th, 2017
- SMU Student Groups: Moving The 9/11 Memorial Restricts Freedom of Speech - Texas Monthly - August 9th, 2017
- The War on Free Speech Turns Further Left - Capital Research Center - Capital Research Center - August 9th, 2017
- Google's Free Speech & Diversity But | National Review - National Review - August 8th, 2017
- Is the Israel Anti-Boycott Act an infringement of free speech? - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 6th, 2017
- Anti-BDS Bill Does Much Worse Than Threaten Free Speech The ... - Forward - August 6th, 2017
- Liberals intent on eliminating free speech - New Castle News - August 4th, 2017
- Nick in the AM: National free-speech tempest hits Galesburg college - Peoria Journal Star - August 3rd, 2017
- North Carolina Campus Free-Speech Act: First Goldwater-Based Law - National Review - August 1st, 2017
- Letter to the Editor: Johnson County Sheriff's Office protects free speech - The Daily Iowan - July 31st, 2017
- Hassan should support freedom of speech - Seacoastonline.com - July 31st, 2017
- India has failed Taslima Nasreen yet again: Freedom of speech is still a victim as govt, police pass the buck - Firstpost - July 31st, 2017
- Soy milk is at the epicenter of a global free-speech debate - Quartz - July 30th, 2017
- Merkel, Germany, the Media and Free Speech - National Review - July 30th, 2017