A Texas Air National Guard fighter squadron flying F-16s is one of the first units to paint its planes in a new, radar-absorbing paint scheme. The paint signals the Air Forces reluctant decision to keep old F-16s flying through the 2020s, at least.
The Air National Guards paint facility in Sioux City, Iowa in mid-December 2019 rolled out a Block 30 F-16C with the new version the Have Glass paint jobs. The F-16C, a Block 30 model, belongs to the 149th Fighter Wing flying out of Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.
The new, single-color paint scheme is a recent departure from the older two-tone gray paint scheme normally associated with F-16s that belong to the United States Air Force, the Pentagon stated.
Most American F-16s for decades have worn a mostly light-gray paint scheme. Since around 2012, however, the Air Force under the Have Glass V initiative slowly has been applying a new, single-tone, dark-gray livery to some F-16s
The new ferromagnetic paint, which can absorb radar energy, first appeared on some of the roughly 200 F-16s the Air Force assigns to the dangerous suppression-of-enemy-air-defenses, or SEAD, mission. SEAD squadrons reside in Minnesota, South Carolina, Germany and Japan.
The Texas Air National Guard F-16 apparently is the first Block 30 F-16 to receive a variant of the Have Glass V paint. Where previous Have Glass V paint jobs included a lighter-tone radar radome, the current scheme covers both the radome and the rest of the plane in the same, dark tone.
No paint can compensate for a plane's shape. In particular, the shapes of its wings, engine inlet and engine nozzle. Square shapes, right angles and perpendicular planes such as engine turbines strongly reflect radar waves.
Even with Have Glass, the F-16 on average has a 1.2-square-meter radar cross-section, according to Globalsecurity, while the F-22 and F-35 boast RCSs smaller than .005 square meters.
So the Have Glass V F-16s arent stealth fighters. But they are stealthier than are F-16s with older paint schemes. Since Have Glass V undoubtedly is expensive, the Air Force logically prioritized repainting planes in units flying the dangerous SEAD mission.
Its noteworthy that Block 30 F-16s, which first appeared in 1986, also are getting Have Glass V treatment. The roughly 300 Block 30s are some of the oldest fighters in the Air Force inventory, and strictly fly with Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve units.
The Air Force for years struggled to define a replacement plan for the Block 30 F-16s, which on average have accumulated more than 7,000 flight hours. The F-35 eventually could replace the Block 30s. But with F-35 production rates fall far below projections, even under the best of circumstances it could take a decade or more to replace all the Block 30s.
The 149th Fighter Wing is one of several Air National Guard units that for years has lobbied the Air Force to bump it higher in the list for new F-35s. But the flying branch so far has tapped Guard wings in Vermont, Wisconsin and Alabama to get F-35s, leaving a couple dozen other units in limbo for the time being.
Conceding that it cannot acquire F-35s fast enough, the Air Force now plans to conduct a service-life extension on more than 800 of its roughly 900 F-16s, apparently skipping over only the oldest Block 25 models that entered service in the early 1980s.
The life-extension could help the Block 30s fly for a few years longer. Some Block 30s also are receiving new electronically-scanned-array radars to replace their old analogue units. Stealther paint also helps the aging F-16s stay relevant.
The U.S. Air Force isnt the only air arm to apply radar-absorbing paint to otherwise non-stealthy fighters. The Chinese air force in early 2019 also began applying ferromagnetic paint to its roughly 50 J-16s fighters.
The J-16 is an upgraded version of the older J-11 fighter that China copied from the Russian Su-27.
David Axe serves as Defense Editor of the National Interest. He is theauthor of the graphic novelsWar Fix,War Is BoringandMachete Squad.
Read the rest here:
- Navigo Proteins and MDimune Enter into a Research Collaboration on Affilin-Mediated Targeting of Extracellular Vesicles - BioSpace - May 11th, 2021
- Chris Berman signs multiyear extension with ESPN - ESPN - May 11th, 2021
- US Nuclear Weapons Systems Facing Risk with Replacements - The Cipher Brief - May 11th, 2021
- Global Nuclear Plant Life Extension Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Areva,CNNC,Rosatom,Westinghouse... - May 11th, 2021
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary 58-Week Results from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial of TransCon PTH in Adult... - May 11th, 2021
- Study finds racial disparities in health care extend to dementia, Alzheimer's treatment - WCPO - May 11th, 2021
- For the 2nd time, Northrop Grumman catches a satellite in Earth orbit - EarthSky - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Biosciences Unveils Positive Results from its Long-Acting Interleukin-31 Antibody PK Study - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Why 'Clean Plate' must only be part of China's war on food waste - just-food.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Up on Study Results - Baystreet.ca - April 23rd, 2021
- Greek life is losing members. Heres why. - Vox.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Russia and China Would Love to See the F-35 Fail. But It Won't. - Heritage.org - April 23rd, 2021
- ProQR Announces Virtual Presentation of Phase 1/2 Sepofarsen Extension Trial Data at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)... - April 23rd, 2021
- Galway Technology Centre hopes for jobs increase with extension - The Irish Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Adagio Therapeutics Announces $336 Million Series C Financing to Support Rapid Advancement of Novel ADG20 Antibody for the Treatment and Prevention of... - April 23rd, 2021
- Consider serving on the Cottonwood Extension Board - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - April 11th, 2021
- Global Probiotics For Weight Management Market Is Thriving Worldwide by 2021-2027 | Top Players VSL, Ortho Molecular Products, Garden of Life The... - April 11th, 2021
- Molecular Partners Shares New Preclinical Data from its AML-Focused CD3 T-Cell Engager Program, CD40 Product Candidate MP0317, and Other Novel... - April 11th, 2021
- Oral & Dental Probiotics Market to Witness Growth Acceleration by Top Key Players Hyperbiotics, Life Extension, Now Foods, Blisprobiotics The... - April 11th, 2021
- Dundee Precious Metals Announces Mine Life Extension and Update to Mineral Resource and Mineral Reserve Estimates for the Chelopech Mine - Yahoo... - March 31st, 2021
- AudioValley Announces the Three-year Extension of Its 5 million Bond Issue With Patronale Life - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Complix and VIB Publish Pioneering Study on Cell-Penetrating Alphabodies in Science Advances - PRNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Magnesium Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | BioEmblem, Life Extension, Thorne, Nested Naturals The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- US nuclear weapons are aging quickly. With few spare parts, how long can they last? - War Is Boring - March 31st, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology Reports Full Year 2020 Financial Results and Business Highlights - BioSpace - March 31st, 2021
- Pfizer's Ibrance, under threat from Novartis and Lilly, leans on real-world data in breast cancer - FiercePharma - March 31st, 2021
- Curcumin Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | Nutra-Life, Source Naturals, Thorne, Life Extension The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- Ferry Flagship Gets the Wight Treatment - The Maritime Executive - March 31st, 2021
- Newly Report on Curcumin Supplement Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2027 | Nutra-Life,Source... - March 31st, 2021
- Lincoln National Weather Service radar expected to be down next few days - CIProud.com - March 31st, 2021
- Astaxanthin Supplements Market 2021 Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2027 | Black Mores, Nutrex Hawaii, Sport Research ... - March 31st, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for the Vessel Life Extension of Canadian Coast Guard Ships Cape Roger and Cygnus - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2021
- Fitzroy Beckford Named Director of UVM Extension | UVM Today - UVM News - March 21st, 2021
- Luria: Navy Should Not Decommission Ships Early in Favor of New Construction - USNI News - USNI News - March 21st, 2021
- Denver company aims to be the AAA of space by cleaning up junk in orbit - The Denver Post - March 21st, 2021
- Camposol will use AgroFresh plant-based coatings on its avocados Produce Blue Book - Produce Blue Book - March 21st, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market to Witness an Astonishing Growth by 2028 Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Molino 4-H Member Falls In Love With An Animal. And A Way Of Life. - NorthEscambia.com - March 21st, 2021
- The U.S. Military's Nuclear Arsenal Is What Keeps Us Safe - The National Interest - March 21st, 2021
- SXSW 2021 Interview: WE ARE AS GODS Directors Jason Sussberg And David Alvarado On The Man Who Wants To Revive The Mammoth - ScreenAnarchy - March 21st, 2021
- Global Gold Exploration Snapshot: Eight companies on the move - The Northern Miner - March 21st, 2021
- The Best Places To Shop For Health Supplements Online - styledemocracy.com - March 21st, 2021
- Parts of the TTC are apparently being held together with duct tape - blogTO - March 21st, 2021
- Global Garlic Extract Supplement Market Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - March 21st, 2021
- SDSU Extension to Cover Dry Cow Therapy in Spanish at CPDE - Yankton Daily Press - March 21st, 2021
- Ludwig Ahgren: The Twitch Livestream Subathon - The New York Times - March 21st, 2021
- Anglo aims at further 10 year life extension of SA iron ore assets; open to consolidation - Mining MX - February 27th, 2021
- Extension welcomes new family life team member who is serving Southern Illinois area - Annanews - February 27th, 2021
- Dr. Andrea Pryce Selected as Operations Manager for the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 27th, 2021
- When are the Braves giving Freddie Freeman an extension? - 11Alive.com WXIA - February 27th, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Global Trends, Emerging Technologies And Growth Analysis , Forecast To 2028 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 27th, 2021
- Springfield National Weather Service radar scheduled outage coming, will last about a week - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - February 27th, 2021
- For Twin Cities power couple and their family, home is an extension of faithful service - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 27th, 2021
- Global Military Aircraft Modernization and Upgrade and Retrofit Markets to 2024: Incorporation of CNS Systems in aircraft and Emergence of SVAB -... - February 27th, 2021
- CH-53K King Stallion Beats CH-47 Chinook To Become Israel's Next Heavy Lift Helicopter - The Drive - February 27th, 2021
- North Sea Veslefrikk field to cease operations - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Actinidia eriantha Polysaccharide and PD1-Antibody Combination Therapy | OTT - Dove Medical Press - February 27th, 2021
- Allicin Supplement Market Insights, SWOT Analysis and Future Growth trend by Players Nature Made, Nature's Bounty, Allimax International, Life... - February 27th, 2021
- Real-Time Communication with Dreaming Person Possible, Says Study | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com - The... - February 22nd, 2021
- Strathclyde secures funding for low carbon SME projects - University of Strathclyde - February 22nd, 2021
- Carlos Correa: Extension talks 'are nowhere right now' with Astros - Houston Chronicle - February 22nd, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Size, Share Production & Consumption Analysis With Forecast To 2028 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 22nd, 2021
- Francisco Lindor open to Mets extension, but talks haven't started: 'I've never been scared of free agency' - Yahoo Sports - February 22nd, 2021
- Opportunity Zone Extension Proposed in the House - Motley Fool - February 22nd, 2021
- Antioxidant Vitamin Market 2029 Competitive Analysis | Vibrant Health, AST R-ALA, GNC, Jarrow Formulas, Life Extension, NOW Foods The Bisouv Network... - February 22nd, 2021
- SAIC Maxus V90 Villa Edition Adds Second Story to the Classic RV - Car and Driver - February 22nd, 2021
- Base Resource's Kwale on track to achieve FY,2021 production - Mining Review - February 22nd, 2021
- Norwegian Army Adding 20 CV90s to Its Fleet - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- NSR Insight: In-Orbit Servicing: Stepping up to the Challenge? SatNews - SatNews Publishers - February 20th, 2021
- 'I love it and Im excited by it' - Cavani revelling in life at Manchester United - Goal.com - February 20th, 2021
- We need to talk about consumption | Greenbiz - GreenBiz - February 20th, 2021
- Edited Transcript of GFIJ.J earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-21 1:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2021
- We should be able to choose when to die cryonics advocate - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Federal government seeks fourth extension to update assisted-dying law - Kamloops This Week - February 20th, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for reconfiguration work on Canadian Coast Guard Ship Sir Wilfred Grenfell - Canada NewsWire - February 20th, 2021
- Time of death? Whenever you decide! Futurist pitches cryopreservation to RT mostly for people with a sense of adventure - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Feds ask court to grant 4th extension to allow passage of assisted dying bill - Global News - February 20th, 2021
- Lockdown extension disappointing - The North Bay Nugget - February 20th, 2021
- Get A New Flavor Of Protein Powder Every Day Thanks To Gainful - msnNOW - February 20th, 2021
- US needs to choose between new ICBMs & nightmare of nuclear deterrence OR meaningful disarmament through arms control - RT - February 20th, 2021