WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. --
A Tyrannosaurus Rex replica named Stan proudly stands in front of the Google Corporations headquarters in California. With his threatening gaze and gaping mouth provide a stark contrast to the rest of the campus. Google highlights the extinct apex predator as a sobering reminder that innovation is more than just a term - we must innovate or die.
The story, however, isnt entirely fair to the T.-Rex. The enthusiasm for innovation is omnipresent in both political and military leaders. Our society reveres entrepreneurs, lauds innovative companies and understands that evolution can lead to revolutionary change. There are reasons, however, not to be innovative especially when it comes to moral decisions between life and death. As military members authorized to use deadly force, we have to balance human decision-making and technological advances. This concept is well understood by both senior leaders and technology developers, and ensuring the success of our future conflicts depends on maximizing the capabilities between these two entities.
Lt. Col. John Karl Marks story, in a lot of ways, is parallel to Stans. However, he is far from extinct. Marks, an attack pilot with the 303rd Fighter Squadron, is just 100 hours shy of reaching 7,000 hours in the A-10 cockpit, securely holding the record for most hours in the aircraft of all time. He is a legendary figure in his own right; choosing, experimenting, and teaching the iterations of add-ons and changes the weapons system has received over the years. Marks began his career during the Cold War when the A-10 was focused on developing tactics to defend against Soviet tanks in Europe, and he just culminated his 13th combat deployment overall, this one his 6th to Afghanistan supporting troops on the ground for Operation Freedoms Sentinel.
One of his most memorable deployments was during Operation Desert Storm. On February 25, 1991at just 26 years oldthen-1st. Lt. Marks and flight lead, Capt. Eric Fish Solomonson flew a trio of missions over Kuwait and Iraq, destroying 23 Iraqi tanks, using infrared AGM-65 missiles and the infamous GAU-8 cannon. Mission planning 30-years ago consisted of paper maps and cardstock lineup cards. Flying was far less automated and correcting for dive angle and airspeed was a must. Direct hits were annotated with a grease pencil on the inside of the canopy and battle damage assessments were written on the walls of the debrief room upon return. One day, three missions, all ordnance expended a wildly successful day and campaign for these two attack pilots.
Compared to todays aircraft, the A-10 from 1991 seems primitive. Today, the engines are pretty much the same and the basic airframe hasnt changed much; internally, though, its completely upgraded. The targeting pod now integrates with helmet-mounted display allowing not only for flight data to be displayed but also the target, the cannon now has a stabilization system to hold it on target while firing, GPS avionics advancements have led to GPS-guided weapons system integration, and additional systems can now automatically detect and respond to incoming threats with countermeasures.
The system upgrades definitely simplify a pilots decision about life and death quicker and with increased certainty. The trade-off, however, is the result of a several-step process. The question is not whether technology or humans should make life-or-death choices, but instead, who is responsible for each step in the process. The Air Force invests significant resources to enable pilots to become proficient in their roles as decision makers focused on whose life to risk, when, and for what objective.
Marks leadership in the air is valued for his ability to adapt to new technology and tailor the aircrafts inputs appropriately. Studies show that unless these inputs are intuitive, commanders and troops alike will revert to simpler, combat tested tools which are inherently more comfortable. Marks, for example, is one of the few A-10 pilots who prefers to fly with binoculars in the cockpit. The targeting pod, while upgraded, lacks color and the binoculars provide an extra layer of reassurance and speed when identifying friend versus foe.
Some of the younger A-10 pilots may politely mock Marks for flying with binoculars, but his aura is infectious, his war stories second-to-none, and at the end of the day, they value his experience and they seek to emulate his tactics.
Karl is truly a legend. He is methodical and meticulous his experience comes with ease but never arrogance. We are grateful to have him in our wing and his continuous desire to learn, teach, and mentor the next generation of fighter pilots is not only humbling, but a true testament to the love of his craft said Col. Mike Angry Schultz, commander of the 442d Fighter Wing.
As he approaches 7,000 hours, Marks has experienced every upgrade in the aircraft, and acknowledged that his time in the cockpit is unfortunately coming to an end.
Being able to get out there and fly the A-10 keeps me coming to work every day. Its still challenging, its still awesome, and they keep bringing new technology and new ways of fighting which keeps it relevant. We may not be the fastest aircraft, but when we talk about the aircrafts abilities from a close air support platform we are simply still the best.
The technological advances the A-10 has seen over three decades are nothing short of impressive and its value to Combatant Commanders is unparalleled. Investing in new technology while developing a pilots tactics is paramount to maintaining our competitive edge. The A-10 is the number-one combat search and rescue platform in the world, and training opportunities to practice newer techniques like forward arming and refueling points and agile combat employment will keep the aircraft relevant in peer-to-peer conflicts. The most valuable weapon system, however, is the men and women that fly the airplanes. The steps taken now in accelerating and adapting to change remain the most important drivers in our nations future conflicts.
Unlike Stan, who couldnt possibly have adapted to stop the asteroid that wiped out his fellow dinosaurs, the U.S. Air Force as a whole, and the A-10 community specifically, will continue to accelerate change so well continue to be ready for the future fight.
Here is the original post:
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021