Harvard Law Professor Emeritus Alan Dershowitz came out fighting for Michael Flynn in a column published early Friday morning by the conservative think tank the Gatestone Institute.
Titled: Flynn Was Innocent All Along: He Was Pressured to Plead Guilty, Dershowitz reiterates his longstanding belief that the former lieutenant general and national security advisor should never have pleaded guilty because he did not commit a crime.
Per the largely pro-Flynn piece (emphasis in original):
For a lie to be a crime under federal law, it must be material to the investigation meaning that the lies pertain to the issues being legitimately investigated. The role of the FBI is to investigate past crimes, not to create new ones. Because the FBI investigators already knew the answer to the question they asked himwhether he had spoken to the Russian Ambassadortheir purpose was not to elicit new information relevant to their investigation, but rather to spring a perjury trap on him. When they asked Flynn the question, they had a recording of his conversation with the Russian, of which he was presumably unaware. So his answer was not material to the investigation because they already had the information about which they were inquiring.
This territory is well-trod for the famous legal analyst.
Dershowitz was roundly criticized on Twitter in late 2018 after telling Fox News that lying to the FBI is not a crime.
I hope the judge understands when he has the case tomorrow that Flynn did not commit a crime by lying, Dershowitz told Bill Hemmer at the time. Because the lie has to be material to the investigation. And if the FBI already knew the answer to the question and only asked him the question in order to give him an opportunity to lie, his answereven if falsewas not material to the investigation.
Earlier this year, and well after a high-profile defense team shakeup, Flynns attorney Sidney Powell appeared to repay the public attention paid to her client by approvingly paraphrasing Dershowitz in a bid for probation.
Still, Dershowitzs column also calls Flynn out for hypocrisy:
There must be a single standard of justice and civil liberties including the presumption of innocence that transcends partisan politics. This message has been forgotten by both parties. Flynn himself was among those who shouted, Lock her up, regarding Hillary Clinton. Then when the Justice Department tried to lock him up, he got religion.
But Mondays column doesnt hone in too deeply on the details of Flynns case. Rather, Dershowitz appears to mainly be using Flynn as a cautionary tale to explain his perspective on law enforcement excess and the value of consistently prizing civil liberties.
Some may wonder why an innocent man would ever plead guilty, Dershowitz tees. Anyone who knows how the system works in practice would understand why an innocent manor a defendant in a close casemight be coerced into pleading guilty. The cruel reality is that if a defendant pleads not guilty and is found guilty, the sentence will be far greater than if he had pled guiltyperhaps even 10 times greater.
These are the kinds of pressures routinely used by prosecutors, the column continues. Civil libertarians have long been critical of these pressures, but fair-weather civil libertarians refuse to object when these improper tactics are used against Trumps associates. Partisan hypocrisy reigns.
The points raised in the column are particularly salient for criminal defendants in the country that locks more people up per capita than any other country. Over all, there are now more people under correctional supervision in Americamore than six millionthan were in the Gulag under Stalin at its height, The New Yorkers Adam Gopnik noted in 2012.
Law&Crime asked Dershowitz if he thought police routinely over-charge and if his admonishment for federal law enforcement to stop creating crimes bears any applicability to the overall criminal justice system.
To which he replied: Yes and yes.
[image via screengrab/ The View]
- N.Y. Primary: Who Is on the Ballot? - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- We Watched the Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Debate So You Didn't Have To - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- That Time the Libertarian Party Debated the Private Ownership of Nuclear Weapons - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- The truth about 'I'm with her' - CNN - May 27th, 2020
- You Dont Have to Like the Decree, But Wear Face Masks Anyway - Bacon's Rebellion - May 27th, 2020
- Justin Amash, Ross Perot and the third-party future: Ranked choice voting is the answer - Salon - May 27th, 2020
- An outbreak anywhere is an outbreak everywhere - Modern Diplomacy - May 14th, 2020
- Libertarian Party To Choose Its Presidential Ticket in Virtual Vote Over Memorial Day Weekend - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Johnson address shows he has been swayed by hawks in his cabinet - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Reeves tries to balance concerns of health, jobs - Associated Press - May 11th, 2020
- Originalism, Common-Good Originalism, and Common-Good Constitutionalism - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Libertarian, Green parties sue over Illinois election rules - The Southern - April 9th, 2020
- Lawsuit Filed by Green and Libertarian Parties Over Petitioning Issues Because of Stay at Home Order - wcsjnews.com - April 9th, 2020
- This Libertarian Country Defeated The Coronavirus With The Free Market - Patheos - April 9th, 2020
- Is Passover the Most Libertarian Holiday? - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Liberty of Movement and Assembly - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- The Most-Watched Show in America Is a Moral Failure - The Atlantic - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Outbreak Is Exposing Government Follies on Many Levels - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Three political philosophies, and how they apply to the coronavirus pandemic - BioEdge - April 9th, 2020
- A Little-Known Democratic Governor Is Breaking Out in Kentucky - The Intercept - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Set Off A Massive Expansion Of Government Surveillance. Civil Libertarians Aren't Sure What To Do. - BuzzFeed News - March 31st, 2020
- Aiming for KO in KY The only Republican primary challenger with the backing of the RJC - Jewish Insider - March 31st, 2020
- In a pandemic, Nobody thinks we should smoke more weed - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- How the Right Went Far-Right - The American Prospect - March 31st, 2020
- Margaret Thatcher, Libertarianism, and the Etherization of the Single Tax - Merion West - March 24th, 2020
- On the 2020 Campaign Trail, Where's the Truth on the Economy? - The Liberator Online - March 24th, 2020
- In Remembrance of Jon Basil Utley (1934-2020) | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - March 24th, 2020
- The coronavirus crisis ignites a bonfire of Conservative party orthodoxies - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- letters to the Editor: March 5, 2020 | Opinion - Indianapolis Recorder - March 5th, 2020
- What to know ahead of Super Tuesday primary in North Carolina - Charlotte Post - March 5th, 2020
- Missouris presidential primary is March 10. Heres what to know before you vote - The Rolla Daily News - March 5th, 2020
- Without Government, Who Will Build The Roads? - The Libertarian Republic - March 5th, 2020
- Missouri's Presidential Primary Is March 10 Here's What Voters Need To Know - KCUR - March 5th, 2020
- Here's who's officially in the federal, statewide and Fulton elections on qualifying's Day 3 - The Catoosa County News - March 5th, 2020
- Voters in Fayetteville and across NC to make choices in Tuesday's primary election - The Fayetteville Observer - March 5th, 2020
- Evolution in action in the Middle East - Boulder Weekly - March 5th, 2020
- Today is primary day. Here's what you need to know. - Hickory Daily Record - March 5th, 2020
- Qualifying for 2020 election has started in Georgia. Here's who has made the cut - Forsyth County News Online - March 5th, 2020
- Andrew Yang launches nonprofit aimed at making his former campaign's ideas a reality - WICZ - March 5th, 2020
- Senior services support,county commissioners races on primary ballot; Here is a list of what you - Galion Inquirer - January 27th, 2020
- Republican Party chairs chose Jacobs as 27th District Congressional candidate - The Daily News Online - January 27th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" II: Is it the Right Path for Libertarians to Follow? - Reason - January 25th, 2020
- Libertarianism and assassination - Nolan Chart LLC - January 25th, 2020
- Peter Thiels Latest Venture Is the American Government - New York Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- Six things to know about the primary election - Shelby Star - January 25th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement Is One of the Most Influential in America - VICE - January 25th, 2020
- State Election Board Releases Official 2020 Voter Registration Statistics - The Marlow Review - January 25th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" I: Is it the Wave of the "Smart" Libertarian Future? - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- A Conversation with a Libertarian Observed | Mark Shea - Patheos - January 18th, 2020
- The Evolving Libertarianism of Neil Peart - National Review - January 18th, 2020
- Why Libertarians Have a Love-hate Relationship With the 10th Amendment - HowStuffWorks - January 18th, 2020
- Did Vermin Supreme Win the New Hampshire Libertarian Primary? - Heavy.com - January 18th, 2020
- Last of the Hollywood libertarians: why the outrage over Vince Vaughn's handshake with Trump? - The Telegraph - January 18th, 2020
- Elizabeth Warrens evasions and other commentary - New York Post - January 18th, 2020
- State Election Board releases official 2020 voter registration statistics - Claremore Daily Progress - January 18th, 2020
- Liberty and Death - Splice Today - January 18th, 2020
- Lincoln Chafee on SS Privatization, Drugs, and When Taxation is Theft - The Libertarian Republic - January 18th, 2020
- Does Gun Girl Kaitlin Bennett Hate America And Also The Constitution? - Wonkette - January 18th, 2020
- Justin Amash's Biggest Fiscally Conservative National Donors Are Abandoning His Re-election Bid - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- In California: Get ready to matter in the presidential primary - USA TODAY - January 18th, 2020
- 'Sister Wives': Kody Brown Is Going to Hang Out With This 2020 Presidential Candidate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 18th, 2020
- The Libertarian Movement Needs a Kick in the Pants - Reason - January 7th, 2020
- What libertarianism has become and will become State Capacity Libertarianism - Hot Air - January 7th, 2020
- The Libertarian Party's Attack on Austin Petersen Shows Why They Lose - The Libertarian Republic - January 7th, 2020
- Libertarian says college district is using the number 8 to influence Chinese voters - The Daily Post - December 31st, 2019
- Recognizing the four pillars of the republic in public schools - Washington Times - December 31st, 2019
- The Best Truthdig Originals of 2019 - Truthdig - December 31st, 2019
- Disputed Appointments and the Supreme Court's Legitimacy, in 1937 and Today - Cato Institute - December 31st, 2019
- Meet the Kochs - The Mountain -Ear - December 31st, 2019
- Scoppe: How SC law made it crazy for cities, counties to give any ground to billboards - Charleston Post Courier - December 31st, 2019
- U.K. Election: Brexit Wins, Jeremy Corbyn Crashes - Reason - December 13th, 2019
- A Federal Government Thats Not Good at Its Job Cant Effectively Serve the Common Good - National Review - December 13th, 2019
- WALSH: Every Child Exposed To Internet Pornography Is An Abuse Victim. There Should Be Laws Protecting Them. - The Daily Wire - December 13th, 2019
- As Texas elections get tighter, more third-party candidates are making inroads - Houston Chronicle - November 30th, 2019
- Dr. Anthony Fauci: The anti-vaxx movement is 'libertarianism taken to the extreme' - GZERO Media - November 30th, 2019
- DeSantis is reshaping Floridas courts with the Federalist Societys help - Tampa Bay Times - November 30th, 2019
- Meet A.D. Smith, Forgotten Libertarian Abolitionist Hero and Would-Be President of Canada - Reason - November 25th, 2019
- Romaine Worster: The illusion of the socialist ideal - Greensboro News & Record - November 25th, 2019
- 3rd party wins promise to shake up Thanksgiving dinner table talk - WHYY - November 25th, 2019
- BRADLEY R. GITZ: What is 'right-wing'? - NWAOnline - November 25th, 2019