SUN-GAZETTEFILEPHOTOLoyalsock players pile on each other after winning the 2013 PIAAClassAA championship in State College against Beaver, 5-4.
Coach Jeremy Eck gathered his players in the Loyalsock gym this Friday morning not to talk last-minute strategy, but to provide a history lesson.
Loyalsock would compete against Beaver late that afternoon for the Class AA state championship at Penn States Medlar Field. Eck wanted his players looking around at all the championship banners surrounding them and pay close attention to the 2008 baseball state championship one. His Lancers now had a unique shot at gaining high school immortality.
As Bailey Young drove a pitch into right field and Caleb Robbins rounded third base that moment was at hand. Robbins sprinted home and Loyalsock entered the hallowed halls which few high school teams ever walk. For the second time in program history, Loyalsock was a state champion.
Youngs walk-off single scored Robbins from second and Loyalsock defeated Beaver, 5-4, in one of the most exciting state title games in PIAA history. Beaver had tied it with two outs in the top of the seventh, but Loyalsock immediately fought back and Young lived a dream so many have but never get to experience.
Ill be talking about this year for years, Young said as Loyalsock received their gold medals. Its a great feeling.
Im speechless. Im stuttering right now, shortstop Ethan Moore, the teams lone starting senior, said. Its been a long road. Just to be here looking at this field, I keep asking all the players if we just won states. Its unbelievable.
It really was.
Loyalsock returned a strong group from a 2012 district champion, but was hit hard by injuries throughout the season. The Lancers persevered, then survived one-run games against Towanda and Montoursville, but Hughesville defeated it, 7-5, in a nine-inning district final. It was a crushing loss, one that can be hard to recover from. The Lancers still qualified for states, but would have to go through four district champions which finished their seasons a combined, 81-9.
Against the odds, that is what they did. Loyalsock outscored Lakeland, Delone Catholic and 25-win Salisbury, 23-6 en route to reaching the state final. It erased a four-run fourth-inning deficit against Delone and hammered a Salisbury team with just one loss, 8-1. At the most crucial time, the Lancers rallied around each other and played their best baseball.
I dont think we caught a break all year. We had injuries everywhere. We had some losses from the team, but we pulled through and came together as one, third baseman Tommy Baggett said after going 1 for 2 with two RBIs against Beaver. Everyone steps up at the right time. Whoever is up there, they step up and get the job done.
It was a similar formula which would get Loyalsock past a 24-win Beaver team which had won 17 straight games. Beaver had not allowed a run in three state tournament victories and surrendered just two runs in its six previous games. Radford-bound pitcher Austin Ross had been untouchable, but Loyalsock showed early that it was not like Beavers victims. The Lancers scored a second-inning run to tie the game and then struck twice in the third, taking a 3-1 lead. After Luke Glavins two-out RBI single tied it in the second, Kyle Datres smashed a double and scored a batter later when Jimmy Webb belted an RBI double. Baggett hit a sacrifice fly to score Webb and Loyalsock seemed to be picking up where it had left off against Salisbury.
Datres pitched a complete game, striking out seven and allowing just two earned runs, but Beaver scored twice in the fourth and tied it, 3-3. Again Loyalsock answered. Moore reached on an error, Robbie Klein singled and Baggetts RBI single put it up, 4-3. It stayed that way until the seventh when Loyalsock moved within one out of its second state title. Instead, Nick Hineman hit an RBI single and tied the game. Datres ended the rally with a strikeout but Beaver had the momentum now.
This 2013 season had been about overcoming a series of obstacles and it was time for Loyalsock to clear its final one. Klein was hit by a pitch to open the seventh and Moore came up with only one goal. The team leader had delivered timely hits all year and came up huge again without producing a hit.
In the bottom of the seventh he (Eck) said if Robbie gets on you have one job and thats to get the bunt down, Moore said. I said Damn right. Im getting that bunt down, were moving him over and were winning this game.'
Moore did his part, dropping the bunt exactly where it had to go and moving Robbins, running for Klein, to second. Baggett was intentionally walked and now it was time for Young and Robbins to fulfill Moores promise.
Young had hit a go-ahead sixth-inning RBI single in the semifinals against Montoursville and drilled two doubles against Salisbury. He was heating up at the right time and never doubted himself, even after falling behind Ross 0-2. Young fouled off three straight pitches and then destiny came calling in the form of a fastball on the outside corner. Young went with the pitch, drove it the opposite way to right field, rounded first and watched Robbins complete the run of his life. Robbins was moving faster than ever and there was no play at the plate with the relay throw being cut off. The team surrounded by championship banners that morning now had one of the most unique, becoming state champions.
I told them this morning that if we win this one, we walk together forever, Eck said while holding his young son Elijah. I asked them how do you want to be remembered? Do you want to be a good team that got to the state final or do you want to hang on that wall for the rest of your life? They showed us what its all about. It really is a dream come true. Every one of these guys has so much heart and theyre all gamers.
Young epitomized Loyalsocks drive and selflessness that year. Eck had replaced him with Evan Moore at catcher during the Delone game, moving him to DH. Young never sulked and continued working and producing. After shining against Salisbury the next game, Young delivered the hit of his life and biggest in this illustrious programs history.
Once I saw the throw come in I looked back at home and saw him score. The first person I saw coming at me was Kyle Datres. He told me I was going to get a hit that at-bat and it gave me confidence, Young said. This is amazing. You cant explain the feeling after a state championship win.
What an unbelievable way to end the season, Robbins said. I was scoring no matter what. It was pure adrenaline. As soon as I touched third base I was running as fast as I could. I had to do it for our town and my for my family and my pop. I cant find the words to explain it. It was so awesome.
A year later, Loyalsock returned to Penn State and became just the third Class AA team in PIAA history to repeat as state champions, defeating Central, 5-1. That team also overcame injuries and adversity, rallying from an 8-5 start and winning its final 15 games.
Many of those Lancers played for the 2013 state champion. They knew anything was possible if they continued fighting. Just as important as that title banner those 2013 Lancers earned was the example they set, one that helps the program continue flourishing to this day.
It was a Cinderella story, Robbins said. Were never going to forget this moment and this experience.
Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
Read more here:
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 29th, 2020
- Dessie Hutchinson's journey from Brighton to the brink of hurling immortality with Waterford - Independent.ie - November 29th, 2020
- MLB Hall of Fame: Breaking down the 2021 ballot - Call to the Pen - November 29th, 2020
- Mythical Beasts that Simply Scream Nanjing - The Nanjinger - November 29th, 2020
- Maradonas divine goal and worthy absurdities - Mint - November 29th, 2020
- Exploring the Last Green Valley: Beauty found in December evergreens - Norwich Bulletin - November 29th, 2020
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator blends Taoist philosophy with Dwarf Fortress - PCGamesN - November 29th, 2020
- The myth of the apple - Evangelical Focus - November 29th, 2020
- Diego Maradona did 'everything better and bigger, but fell more dangerously and darker' - WDJT - November 29th, 2020
- Maradona flew and fell. It is why we loved him - The Straits Times - November 29th, 2020
- #ComicBytes: The comic book origin of Nick Fury | NewsBytes - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2020
- Never Seen Before Tolkien Works Will Be Published In 2021 - Unreserved Media - November 29th, 2020
- New Lord Of The Rings Book Announced, Will Reveal Who Can Grow Beards - GameSpot - November 29th, 2020
- Reminiscing grandmother during days of coronavirus - Hurriyet Daily News - November 29th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Bond and superstar - Frontline - November 29th, 2020
- Divock Origi has gone from unstoppable to invisible - Rousing the Kop - November 29th, 2020
- A Year of Free Comics: Immortality isnt all that it seems in LIVE FOREVER - Comics Beat - August 26th, 2020
- Under Ben Bulben: Neymar And A Saga Of Resurrection And Immortality - World Football Index - August 26th, 2020
- Rick and Morty plot hole: Rick's ride on the Whirly Dirly creates huge immortality blunder - Express - August 26th, 2020
- Sleeps With Monsters: Into the Woods With Emily Tesh and Carrie Vaughn - tor.com - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Fairfield Citizen - August 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Leaves the Fate of the Whole Team Up in the Air | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Parenting in a pandemic? Your teen is counting on you more than ever - Your Valley - August 26th, 2020
- ALLEN IVERSON PAYS TRIBUTE TO KOBE Greatness needs company, and we needed each other. - Basketball Network - August 26th, 2020
- Lovecraft Country: Why the Sons of Adams Ritual Failed | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Orcs - Screen Rant - August 26th, 2020
- Hakuho may be on path to becoming great stablemaster if latest recruit pans out - The Japan Times - August 26th, 2020
- The Unbelievable True Story Of How The Memphis Pyramid Became A Bass Pro Shops - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Immortal Character In The Show - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- A look back at the faces of 170 years ago and more - Key West Florida Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- Moussa Dembele and the YouTube obsession that has Celtic icon on verge of Champions League immortality - Daily Record - August 20th, 2020
- Words from the Heart: The Message | Columnists | thesuntimes.com - Heber Springs Sun-Times - August 20th, 2020
- Eagles, the worshipped bird of prey of the ancient civilizations - Egypttoday - August 20th, 2020
- 'Burgh's Best to Wear It, No. 13: From midgets to the NFL, Dan Marino wore lucky number - TribLIVE - August 20th, 2020
- Ashton Kutcher Burned an Original Artwork to Promote a New Blockchain Marketplace Where Art Can (Kind of) Live Forever - artnet News - August 20th, 2020
- Aug. 19, 1951: Before Eddie Gaedel went to the plate, the Post-Dispatch got a heads-up - Houston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- 10 Questions We Have After Watching The Old Guard | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- Emotional character study 'The Truth' opens at the Ross this Friday - Daily Nebraskan - August 20th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (August 20) - NewsroomPost - August 20th, 2020
- Why This Russian Billionaire Is Creating A Virtual Reality World For Music Festivals And Concerts - Forbes - August 20th, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 21st, 2020
- Keanu Reeves New Comic Book Is About An Immortal, But Its Not Autobiographical - Comic Years - July 21st, 2020
- Here's how you can win over 83 years of free Netflix service - Retail News Asia - July 21st, 2020
- Meryl Streep's Funniest Movie Characters and Their Best Moments - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 21st, 2020
- A Conversation With Director Gina Prince-Bythewood : 1A - NPR - July 21st, 2020
- ATEMS graduation allows Class of 2020 to rise from the ashes of a broken year - Abilene Reporter-News - July 21st, 2020
- Looking at nature, death, and immortality with a famous poet - McDonough Voice - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard: Why Andy Loses Her Immortality | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 17th, 2020
- Netflixs The Old Guard: A revolutionary, ancient gay romance - Vox.com - July 17th, 2020
- Where father, son correspond - Featured - The Island Now - July 17th, 2020
- Rockfield Studios: Where Ozzy, Oasis, Queen and Coldplay took off - BBC News - July 17th, 2020
- American Vampire by Snyder & Albuquerque returns this October with '70s setting and vibe - GamesRadar+ - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard ending explained and sequel news - RadioTimes - July 17th, 2020
- Fun, Guns, and Mum: New Stuff to Watch! - Omaha Reader - July 17th, 2020
- Warrior Nun Ending Explained What Happens to Ava and Adriel at the End of Warrior Nun? - Esquire - July 17th, 2020
- The 8 desires of human life and how to fulfill them - Times Now - July 17th, 2020
- The only shame is that Liverpool brilliance will escape history books - Football365.com - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard revs up the senses with great action and fascinating story - culturemap.com - July 17th, 2020
- When There is Despair, There Will Be Hate Too. And That's Not a Bad Thing - The Wire - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020