There are very few investment firms that are minority-owned yet they continue to build a portfolio of quality public and private companies. Blue Mahoe Capital is a black-owned investment firm that is owned by David P. A. Mulling. Being that Caribbean companies are always overlooked by investors has inspired Mullings Blue Mahoe Capital in its quest to be more successfulBLACK ENTERPRISE engaged in a conversation with Mullings to discuss what drives him to be successful, why Blue Mahoe Capital focuses primarily on the Caribbean market, and why they have decided to invest in the entertainment industry.
You are the owner of an investment firm, Blue Mahoe Capital, which focusesprimarily on the Caribbean market at this time. What steered you in the direction to dwell into an area that doesnt seem to draw much interest?
I was born in Jamaica and having worked there, I saw the wealth of opportunity in the region. My advisor, billionaire Jamaican-Canadian investor Michael Lee-Chin, says that you should be excited to invest in a region or industry when three things are present: Perception is different from reality; inefficiencies are present and there is a lack of equity capital flowing in. The Caribbean is overlooked because of perception but being from there and working in finance allowed me to understand the reality of the investment opportunities that are present. Combine that with a love for Warren Buffetts approach to investing and you would see the Caribbean as a value investors dream region, provided they understood the culture and knew the companies.
You need to establish a track record and then you can scale a business, especially an asset management. Investing in Jamaica was the perfect way to test my investment strategy, begin building a strong track record and then scale into other markets. Michael Lee-Chin built something amazing in Canada and I intend to do the same across the USA and Caribbean with his guidance.
You are investing in the entertainment industry. How did that come about and what will you be doing?
My brother Robert and I launched Realvibez, a Caribbean music video platform in 2002, eventually becoming YouTubes first Caribbean media partner in 2008. Music is one of the largest exports from Jamaica but more investment is needed to professionalize the industry. Blue Mahoe Capital is willing to both buy and build companies in strong long-term growth industries.
We did not see a suitable company to buy and so we are building a portfolio company that brings more of the earnings back to the region while adding a more professional approach to the business of entertainment just like how hip-hop, Reggaeton, and K-pop went through transitions. Sometimes we buy companies and sometimes we build them. We have some great partners to make it a reality one of our portfolio companies and expect Carole Beckford, former Film Commissioner for Jamaica to build an amazing subsidiary.
What is it about Blue Mahoe Capital that will make it a company to watch? What will you be doing in the future that will elevate it more in the investment field?
Money has traditionally been a taboo subject in the houses of people below a certain social class and we intend to normalize the discussion about wealth creation as well as contribute to improved financial literacy, especially amongst people who look like me. However, we will be doing it with the most recognizable people of our era, musicians and athletes. We should not discount their power and definitely should not tell them to shut up and dribble or just make music.
What happens when you combine music, sports, and financial literacy with a focus on wealth creation and helping a historically disenfranchised group? What happens when an asset manager acquires stakes in public companies and pushes for better diversity policies and racial justice? Impact investing by a Black person will look very different from impact investing by the usual asset managers.
How would you advise those who have an interest in becoming vested in the investment game? What would you suggest one do to make a powerful impact?
Michael Lee-Chin told me to find a role model, get the recipe, and do not change the recipe. You can only change the recipe when you exceed the role model. I highly recommend people read about investing, gain knowledge and then pick a role model, learn their strategy and religiously implement it. It becomes your framework that allows you to control your emotions. Michael would add that you also need access to capital and investment opportunities so that means increasing your earning power, rebalancing your expenses, and opening a brokerage account right now. It has never been easier to start investing. Start with $10 if you have to but do it consistently and build healthy financial habits.
If you want to make a powerful impact then you have to think bigger. You have to get a coach and you have to pick a big hairy audacious goal as Jim Collins says in his books Good to Great and Built to Last because thinking small only leads to small impact. Thinking big leads to a big impact. Ask yourself what it would take to achieve the biggest goal you can think of and then work backward, step by step and begin connecting those dots going forward. Focus on building an amazing legacy that leaves positivity in the lives of as many people as you can reach.
What is one misconception that many have when it comes to being involved in your field?
The single biggest misconception is that you already have to be wealthy to get into investment management. You do not need to already have financial wealth or to look like you have financial wealth; You need a thirst for knowledge, a passion for investing, and an uncompromising desire to make your investors wealthy. You are not supposed to do this just for yourself. You are supposed to make your shareholders and investors wealthy and in turn, you will create wealth for yourself as well. Put them first and you will be quite fine. Serve them well and you will be rewarded.
See more here:
- Take the kids to one of the 11 best Caribbean resorts for families - USA Today 10Best - August 2nd, 2021
- Latin America and Caribbean face an avalanche of worsening health issues if COVID-19 disruption of health services continues, PAHO warns - Pan... - August 2nd, 2021
- 9 Striking New Developments Across the Caribbean - Architectural Digest - August 2nd, 2021
- The REAL Reason Why Pirates of the Caribbean Has a Drop (or Two!) Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - August 2nd, 2021
- Haiti, Cuba, and the History of US Involvement in the Caribbean - FPRI Events - Foreign Policy Research Institute - August 2nd, 2021
- Twisted Taino bringing Caribbean and Latin America flavors to Parma - cleveland.com - August 2nd, 2021
- Royal Caribbean's first test cruise out of Port Canaveral, Allure of the Seas, is now out at sea - WESH 2 Orlando - August 2nd, 2021
- Dominica Hoping New International Airport Will Elevate It to Major Caribbean Destination - Skift - July 16th, 2021
- Partnership of the Caribbean: Securing the West Indies - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- NATO command is now fully operational to defend seas from Caribbean to Arctic - 13newsnow.com WVEC - July 16th, 2021
- KLM recovers its network of flights to Latin America and the Caribbean - Aviacionline.com - July 16th, 2021
- Its just like the Caribbean: readers on eight beautiful, tranquil British beaches - The Guardian - July 16th, 2021
- OWA Announces 2nd Annual Caribbean Day on Saturday, Aug. 7 - Gulf Coast News Today - July 16th, 2021
- Cruising Returns to Antigua and Barbuda Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - July 16th, 2021
- Young Caribbean Nation Formalizing Amateur Radio Guidelines and Standards - ARRL - July 16th, 2021
- Carnival To Allow Crew Shore Leave in U.S. and Caribbean Ports - Cruise Industry News - July 7th, 2021
- Island-hopping experience in the heart of Miramar to celebrate Caribbean American Heritage month - Miami's Community Newspapers - July 7th, 2021
- Good news for tourism on the Caribbean island of Saba - Travel Weekly - July 7th, 2021
- The pandemic hit Caribbean American communities hard. How the diaspora is rallying around covid recovery - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- Why Caribbean Governments Should Make The Shift To A Human Rights-Based Approach To Crime Prevention Now - Caribbean and Latin America Daily News -... - July 7th, 2021
- Reina Gascn-Lpez shares her love of Afro-Caribbean cuisine with the Sofrito Project - AL DIA News - July 7th, 2021
- 12 organizations helping Caribbean countries during the pandemic - Yahoo Sports - June 30th, 2021
- HBO Max Rolls out in 39 Territories in Latin America and the Caribbean Starting Today - Business Wire - June 30th, 2021
- CSTN acquires AFC media rights in the Caribbean - SportsPro Media - June 30th, 2021
- Grenada, The Spice of the Caribbean, Named World's First "Culinary Capital" - PRNewswire - June 30th, 2021
- Latin America & The Caribbean Weekly Situation Update (21-27 June 2021), as of 28 June 2021 - Mexico - ReliefWeb - June 30th, 2021
- US Virgin Islands and Cuba Caribbean Baseball Cup tie suspended due to COVID-19 - Insidethegames.biz - June 30th, 2021
- Legislation seeks to increase funding for Caribbean Basin Security Initiative - Homeland Preparedness News - June 30th, 2021
- 6 Caribbean-founded LGBTQIA+ organizations you need to follow and support - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 30th, 2021
- The Emmer & Rye Team Is Opening a Caribbean Restaurant in East Austin - Eater Austin - June 30th, 2021
- 6 Caribbean-founded LGBTQIA+ organizations you need to follow and support - Yahoo Sports - June 28th, 2021
- The Path to Recovery in the Caribbean - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - June 28th, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Boeing, Intellia Therapeutics, Royal Caribbean and more - CNBC - June 28th, 2021
- At Third Horizon Film Festival, Caribbean Films Reflect on Layered Pasts, Presents, and Futures - Hyperallergic - June 28th, 2021
- 20 people found dead on boat drifting in the Caribbean - Los Angeles Times - June 28th, 2021
- Commercial Aviation in Caribbean Still Has Its Hurdles - Aviation International News - June 28th, 2021
- St John Celebration Is Back With a Pair of Events Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 28th, 2021
- JetBlue Is Launching New Nonstop Flights to Antigua Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 28th, 2021
- Cuba and Peru win on opening day of postponed Caribbean Baseball Cup - Insidethegames.biz - June 28th, 2021
- Three Creole recipes to give you a taste of the Caribbean - The Independent - June 28th, 2021
- The Island of Statia Is Is Reopening to Vaccinated Travelers Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 28th, 2021
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Celebrates Major Milestone - Inside the Magic - June 28th, 2021
- 17 Hours To The Caribbean: Qantas Flies The Mens Cricket Team - Simple Flying - June 28th, 2021
- Historic Currents: Exhibit aims to overturn colonial bias with works from the Caribbean - Albuquerque Journal - June 28th, 2021
- Deury Corniel is training body and mind in his own slice of paradise - Red Bull - June 28th, 2021
- How the Houston Zoo is helping Caribbean parrots survive a volcano - Chron - June 28th, 2021
- COVID Spike In Florida Nursing Homes, Magic At The Caribbean Museum, And 'Liborio' - WLRN - June 28th, 2021
- Live Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean in "Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life" - MiceChat - June 28th, 2021
- Heading to the Caribbean? Dont Miss These 7 Celebrity Chef-Driven Restaurants - Robb Report - June 27th, 2021
- NHC tracking 2 tropical disturbances. One could move into the Caribbean - WTSP.com - June 27th, 2021
- Launch of the Caribbean Public Health Law Forum - Pan American Health Organization - June 27th, 2021
- Students of color in the Caribbean share the same plight as counterparts in white dominated countries. - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - June 27th, 2021
- As cruising restarts in the Caribbean, the pandemic ensures it's not all smooth sailing - Lonely Planet Travel News - June 27th, 2021
- Difficult choices for the Caribbean - Dominican Today - June 27th, 2021
- Pirates of the Caribbean Boat Derails Off Track - Inside the Magic - June 27th, 2021
- Women's Cricket returns to the Caribbean as Pakistan tour of West Indies announced - International Cricket Council - June 27th, 2021
- UK removes quarantine requirement for arrivals from Balearics, Malta and some Caribbean islands as it happened - The Guardian - June 27th, 2021
- Live From Windstar Star Breeze: A Cruise to Nowhere in the Caribbean - Cruise Critic - June 27th, 2021
- Reopening the Caribbean - Cayman Compass - June 27th, 2021
- Costa Rica and the Caribbean, Among the International Destinations Preferred by Spaniards this summer - The Costa Rica News - June 27th, 2021
- Disney Fans Explore Hidden Rooms From the Pirates of the Caribbean Attraction - Inside the Magic - June 27th, 2021
- Royal Navy ready to assist Caribbean during hurricane season - Nation News - June 27th, 2021
- Adventure of the Seas Live Blog - Day 7 - Freeport - Royal Caribbean Blog - June 20th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean fails to stop US lawsuit by Australian survivors of White Island volcano - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- How Sea of Thieves Brought Pirates of the Caribbean to Its World in New Expansion (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - June 20th, 2021
- Latin America & The Caribbean Weekly Situation Update (7-13 June 2021), as of 14 June 2021 - Honduras - ReliefWeb - June 20th, 2021
- Young Workers Optimistic in Latin America and the Caribbean - Gallup - June 20th, 2021
- Latin America and the Caribbean: The economic crisis is pushing many workers into the informal sector - The Press Stories - June 20th, 2021
- Construction Begins on Royal Caribbean's First Icon Class Cruise Ship - Cruise Critic - June 20th, 2021
- 2 Week Boating Itinerary in the Caribbean - 14 Day Yacht Trip in the Caribbean - TownandCountrymag.com - June 4th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2021
- There is a Particular Way Young People from the Caribbean Diaspora Speak to Their Parents and Interact with Family: Mandy Marcus on Her Student Short... - June 4th, 2021
- EU 9M for Caribbean Climate Change Resilience and Adaptation - Guyana - ReliefWeb - June 4th, 2021
- COVID situation in south Caribbean worsens - Amsterdam News - June 4th, 2021
- The New Environmental and Human Rights Treaty in Latin America and the Caribbean You Should Know About - JD Supra - June 4th, 2021
- Could Disney Replace Jack Sparrow with Captain Hook? - Inside the Magic - June 4th, 2021
- Saildrone Launches Five Drones in the Caribbean to Help Us Fight Hurricanes - autoevolution - June 4th, 2021
- New Pirates Of The Caribbean Movie May Introduce Captain Hook - We Got This Covered - June 4th, 2021
- Turmeric Is The Caribbeans Spice Of Life - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- More Flights from Canada to the Caribbean This Winter - Caribbean Journal - June 2nd, 2021