Good day And a Tub Thumpin Thursday to you! Well, we have a new President and House and Senate, and they all lean left No longer are there checks and balances in our Govt But what the heck, we can give this new arrangement a try, right? Before the new arrangement turns its back on the 80 Million people that didnt vote for them, they might want to keep in mind what happens when you get those 80 Million people riled up Im just saying Our Blues were playing again last night and I was able to watch the game that began at 9 my time here The Rock Classic band, Blind Faith, greets me this morning with their song: Cant Find My Way Home Ive been there believe me on that one folks!
Well yesterday, I said that I didnt think that much would happen with the currencies for everyones attention would be on D.C. And the Currencies drifted, albeit a bit lower on the day. But while the cat was away, the mice did play, and Gold gained $32 on the day to close at $1,872.00, and Silver gained 62-cents to close at $25.90 I guess that Gold traders and investors got the memo that the new Administration is going to push harder on the Cold War with China Ahhh Those geopolitical problems And while were at it, maybe they also heard the news that the next Stimulus Bill will be a DOOZY And that, my friends, is exactly what I talked about in an interview with Dennis Miller of a few months ago. I said that once you start giving out currency, the next time will require a bigger payout, and the next one will require a larger payout than the last one, etc.
I know that Ive been remiss in not mentioning whats going on overseas each day I actually have done this on purpose, because as always, its all about the dollar So, I focus on dollar stuff each day I will tell you that tomorrow is a HUGE day for economic data overseas So, Monday, Ill try to recall to go back and look at it and see whats happening The European Central Bank (ECB) is meeting today, and I'm thinking that ECB President will be looking to move interest rates more negative... I guess, we'll see, eh?
In the overnight markets, the currencies are getting marked up VS the dollar, and Gold is flat to down a buck or two... The Petrol Currencies are leading the pack today, with good gains in Russian rubles, Canadian dollars/ loonies, Brazilian real, Norwegian krone, and even pound sterling! Yesterday, was a real nothing for the currencies, and today, they've gotten back to the business at hand, which is pushing the dollar toward the currency woodshed...
OK Well new Treasury Sec. Janet Yellen was in the news quite a bit this week as her nomination was voted on. Here are some thoughts from Janet Yellen, that caught my eye when asked about how seniors have been damaged greatly by the zero interest rates policy that was partly under her regime at the Fed She responded:
I believe the benefits will far outweigh the costs, especially if we care about helping people who have been struggling for a very long time, she said in the statement, which was obtained by Reuters.
And those words got publishing guru, Bill Bonner sitting up to respond to her: Who are these people who have been struggling? American household income (thanks to the feds bailouts and giveaways) was at its highest point ever last year with $1 trillion more in earnings than the year before.
And we need not remind dear readers that the U.S. government is broke with a $2 trillion deficit already on the books for this year Bill Bonner
Well I want to thank the good folks at GATA for this next blurb, as they highlighted it from an article on the FT.com. Apparently new Treasury Sec. Janet Yellen is not a fan of currency manipulation.. Lets listen in:
Janet Yellen warned U.S. trading partners against currency manipulation and touted the importance of market-based exchange rates in her most exhaustive comments yet on the incoming Biden administration's approach to international economic policy.
Ms. Yellen, who is Joe Biden's nominee to serve as Treasury secretary, said "the intentional targeting of exchange rates to gain commercial advantage is unacceptable" and that she would "oppose any and all attempts by foreign countries to artificially manipulate currency values to gain an unfair advantage in trade."
Chuck again So, who wants to set the over / under on how long it takes Yellen to change her mind and put some of those Billions, with a capital B, in the Exchange Stabilization Fund (ESF), or Slush Fund, as I call it, to work?
Ok, currency traders you heard it straight from the horses mouth, that using the ESF to protect the dollar is not going to happen going forward. What are you waiting for now? Take the dollar to the woodshed and leave it there! Because thats what it deserves!
Well, lets see what else is there to talk about this morning? It is a Tub Thumpin Thursday, so we will see the Weekly Initial Jobless Claims this morning right out of the starters blocks This unemployment problem has become a rash that wont go away A lot of businesses that these unemployed people worked for, will not be coming back, so there will be no job for the Unemployed person to go to once things open up again What will they do? Its a sad, sad situation and its getting more and more absurd (in case you didnt catch it, those lyrics are from an Elton John song titles: Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
You know 3 years ago, I didnt really care for the decision that was made to show me the door But as time goes buy, I think it was the best thing I could do, given my health, age, and my willingness to keep writing my letter, which the new company wasnt going to tolerate one iota So, there was no Unemployment Claim by me I simply walked away, found a new publisher, and retired But I had been there where a lot of the unemployed people are now, back in 1998... And I didn't like the feeling of not going somewhere to earn money each day, so I know what it feels like, folks... And it's not a happy place!
Theres really nothing else, unless you are tied to the Home Building, Housing starts, and existing home sales data to look at today or tomorrow But before we close out the week I wanted to circle back to what I talked about on Tuesday, and that is that U.S. Retail Sales were negative the last 3 months, which included the Christmas shopping season! How on earth can that be? Unless of course the U.S. Consumer is tapped out They cant put any more on their Credit card, and theyre savings have dwindled greatly And without Consumption the economy is going nowhere, folks Theres just no way the Govt can make up for this lack of consumer spending of course that wont stop the Govt from trying! So, look for more deficit spending and currency printing Got Gold?
To recap It was Inauguration Day in the U.S. yesterday, and the currencies basically drifted, albeit a bit lower on the day.. Gold on the other hand rallied by $32, and Silver by 62-cents on the day The overnight markets have gone back to pushing the dollar toward the currency woodshed. Chuck has read and heard some interesting things about new Treasury Sec. Janet Yellen, so he spends a large part of todays letter talking about her
Before we had to the Big Finish today, I wanted to highlight another quote from someone that should be revered, Ayn Rand, talking about Freedom of Speech Heres Ayn Rand, "Once a country accepts censorship of the press and of speech, then nothing can be won without violence. Therefore, so long as you have free speech, protect it. This is the life and death issue in this country: do not give up the freedom of the press, of newspapers, books, magazines, television, radios, movies, and every other form of presenting ideas. So long as that's free, a peaceful intellectual turn is possible." Ayn Rand
Or, here's your snippet: "Today, Treasury Secretary-nominee Janet Yellen addressed the Senate Finance Committee during her confirmation hearing.
In her statements, she argued that major fiscal stimulus is justified to support the economy while the pandemic still rages.
She stressed the need to address income inequality and pledged support for the incoming Biden administrations climate change policies.
In other words, she plans to support large amounts of government spending to stimulate the economy.
She acknowledged that debt is a potential problem. But, she added, right now, with interest rates at historic lows, the smartest thing we can do is act big. In the long run, I believe the benefits will far outweigh the costs, especially if we care about helping people who have been struggling for a very long time.
Lets just say thats wishful thinking.
We cannot spend our way out of a debt trap. As Ive explained before, fiscal policy is not stimulus because the U.S. debt-to-GDP ratio is now over 130% and rising quickly. Extensive research shows that at debt-to-GDP ratios above 90%, the multiplier on new debt is less than one.
This means were in a debt trap (in addition to a liquidity trap caused by Yellens previous organization, the Fed).
But Janet Yellen has no real understanding of money and monetary economics. Her tenure at the Fed proves it."
Chuck Again Well, I would say that Rickards comments qualify him to be banned from Twitter and Facebook! HA! Seriously, he sure doesn't pull any punches talking about Yellen does he?
Market Prices 1/21/21: American Style: A$ .7780, kiwi $ .7222, C$ .7926, euro 1.2150, sterling 1.3724, Swiss $1.1283, European Style: rand 14.7908, krone 8.4254, SEK 8.3014, forint 294.05, zloty 3.7260, koruna 21.4770, RUB 73.52, yen 103.39, sing 1.3220, HKD 7.7516, INR 72.94, China 6.4669, peso 19.56, BRL 5.3300, Dollar Index 90.17, Oil $53.02, 10-year 1.09%, Silver $25.97, Platinum $1,131.00, Palladium $2,419.00, Copper $3.64, and Gold... $1,871.30
Thats it for today and this week Yesterday, was an absolutely beautiful day here, I sat out on the deck reading my book, 1984, for about 2 hours and then I had taken in enough sun for the day... Another beautiful sunrise this morning, with an orange sky, not red... My next book is Fahrenheit 451, which I have sitting here waiting for it to be read! Oldies but goodies, right? Well, that's pretty much how I am with my music too! Dan Fogelberg takes us to the finish line today with his song: Late For The Sky... I think I've told you before, that this song always brings me to tears, as it so sad... You know, come to think of it, ever since 2007, I've become a big cry baby, over anything that's sad... Now there's something that I've never talked about before to anyone... So, you dear reader know something about me that others don't! So, any way, it's time to go, so I hope you have a Tub Thumpin' Thursday today, and a Fantastico Friday tomorrow... And Please Be Good To Yourself!
See the article here:
- THE TEACHER'S DESK: We're almost there | Columns | thetimestribune.com - Times Tribune of Corbin - April 11th, 2021
- Allison Hanes: Laissez-faire fatalism seems to have infected Legault - Montreal Gazette - March 31st, 2021
- Letter: Re: Ethan Orr's Article on the Middle Class - Arizona Daily Star - March 31st, 2021
- Reaching Active Minds: Ayn Rand and the Ford Hall Forum - New Ideal - March 25th, 2021
- In Mosaic's darkly funny 'Inherit the Windbag,' an epic bickerfest (ep. 3) - DC Metro Theater Arts - March 25th, 2021
- Ralph Nader on Corporatism's Threat to Democracy - Progressive.org - March 25th, 2021
- There is such a thing as society: it has overcome Covid and restored the truth - TheArticle - March 20th, 2021
- Letter to the editor | UPJ nowhere to be found on Outlier site - TribDem.com - March 20th, 2021
- Talks of replacing Woody Allen in Ann Arbor mural reignited after new documentary - MLive.com - March 20th, 2021
- We wince; therefore, we are | Our Readers Speak | register-herald.com - Beckley Register-Herald - March 20th, 2021
- Why We Need Shakespeare and Beethoven - The Dispatch - March 20th, 2021
- B1G tourney preview: After 20 wins in NCAA regular season, Gophers still have something to prove in playoffs - Brainerd Dispatch - March 20th, 2021
- The Worst Ted Cruz Moments in History - Dallas Observer - March 20th, 2021
- The Books That Shaped Tina Howard and Teas to Pair With Them - Fort Worth Magazine - March 7th, 2021
- Are You Bullish or Bearish on America and Wall Street? - Stock Investor - March 7th, 2021
- Satire: Why two beers is the perfect amount - The State Press - March 7th, 2021
- Elon Musk and Amber Heard: How Did the Two Celebrities Meet? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 7th, 2021
- CPAC Exposed the GOP's Fight for the Working Class as Just Another Culture War | Opinion - Newsweek - March 7th, 2021
- An Excerpt From 'Peter and the Wolves' by Adele Bertei on the Brief, Brilliant Life of Peter Laughner - Cleveland Scene - February 10th, 2021
- Our nation has never fully agreed on much, but it hasn't always torn itself apart | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Paul and Romney embarrass themselves by lashing out at trans athletes - Outsports - February 8th, 2021
- Why Telling Students to 'Trust the Experts' Is Poor Advice | Caroline Breashears - Foundation for Economic Education - February 8th, 2021
- Liz was Isolated as a Felon on the Run, Transitioning Alone: Nick Cammilleri and Zackary Drucker on Their HBO Docuseries The Lady and the Dale -... - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Pleased that Newhouse defended Constitution | Letters To Editor | yakimaherald.com - Yakima Herald-Republic - January 29th, 2021
- The more I practice, the better my luck - Las Cruces Bulletin - January 29th, 2021
- Geddy Lee on the Genius of Neil Peart - Rolling Stone - January 29th, 2021
- The Lady and The Dale | Review - The GATE - January 29th, 2021
- Ayn Rand on Morality and the Misuse of Political Power - New Ideal - January 27th, 2021
- 'The Lady and the Dale': TV Review - Hollywood Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Closer to the park: St. Catharines commissions artwork to honour Rush drummer Neil Peart - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2021
- No more echo chambers: the internet's best left-wing thinkers - Spectator.co.uk - January 27th, 2021
- Wikipedia is the last bastion of idealism on the internet Prospect Magazine - Prospect Magazine - January 27th, 2021
- article image Op-Ed: Investors making big money, but where are the trillions going? - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Unmasking the Deceased Programmer Who Donated 28 Bitcoin to Capitol Hill Rioters - Crypto Briefing - January 19th, 2021
- An Expert Explains the US Capitol Hill riot: anatomy of an insurrection - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- PERRY: Mayor Coffman's mock-homeless close-up highlights the danger of unreality TV - Sentinel Colorado - January 15th, 2021
- The Meaning Of Work For A Happy Life (And New Year) - Forbes - January 15th, 2021
- Is It Selfish to Never Wear a Mask? - New Ideal - October 22nd, 2020
- Ayn Rands power isnt dimmed by the collectivist age of the pandemic - Telegraph.co.uk - October 20th, 2020
- What Tech Calls Thinking: Book Review | by Joshua Adams | Oct, 2020 - Medium - October 20th, 2020
- Welcome to Dystopia: 45 Visions of What Lies Ahead - Morning Star Online - October 20th, 2020
- The Dictatorial Impulse Behind the Shaming of PPP Recipients - New Ideal - July 21st, 2020
- Instead Of Open Or Closed, Dial Your Mind To Active - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Big problems with the Paycheck Protection Program? - The Week - July 21st, 2020
- Finally: Diamond and Silk are releasing a book - The Spectator USA - July 21st, 2020
- Tagore's Gora to Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan: Add these regional language books to your reading list - India Today - July 21st, 2020
- When MGM and the FBI Chased 'The Father of the Atomic Bomb' - WhoWhatWhy - July 21st, 2020
- What's Wrong With Ayn Rand's Philosophy? - The Objective ... - July 13th, 2020
- In sign of the times, Ayn Rand Institute approved for PPP loan - Reuters - July 13th, 2020
- 'We Took PPP Funds and Would Do It Again' - New Ideal - July 13th, 2020
- Auchter's Art: The confusing narrative of Betsy DeVos - Michigan Radio - July 13th, 2020
- Wisconsin school board member asked to resign after posting that 'George Floyd is drug free for 2 months' - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 13th, 2020
- St. Joseph reaps short-lived cash infusion - News-Press Now - July 13th, 2020
- Tips and Murmurs: Ayn Rand Institute gets government handout - Crikey - July 13th, 2020
- Local anti-tax groups find even they need big government aid sometimes - Seattle Times - July 13th, 2020
- Climbing aboard the PPP train | Opinion | citizensvoice.com - Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice - July 13th, 2020
- Prominent and politically connected Austin firms among those getting bailout loans - Austin American-Statesman - July 13th, 2020
- Indiana PPP loan recipients: See the full searchable list of who received them - Courier & Press - July 13th, 2020
- Mississippi PPP loan recipients: See the full searchable list of who received them - Hattiesburg American - July 13th, 2020
- Paycheck Protection Payouts Give Taxpayers Plenty To Ponder | K. Lloyd Billingsley - The Beacon - July 13th, 2020
- Whats the Deal With Parler and its Rising Popularity? - The Wire - July 13th, 2020
- We Talked With the Cast of 'Brave New World'! - The Mary Sue - July 13th, 2020
- Remember to find a reason to smile - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - June 24th, 2020
- Shockingly, Law School Named For Affirmative Action Opponent Bad At Race And Diversity - Above the Law - June 24th, 2020
- When Tribal Journalists Try to 'Cancel' Ayn Rand (Part 2) - New Ideal - June 20th, 2020
- Understanding the Reactionary Outlook - Merion West - June 20th, 2020
- I visited the secret lair of the Ayn Rand cult - Haaretz - April 18th, 2020
- Ayn Rand's dystopia is here right now and 'Atlas' is shrugging - Fox Business - April 18th, 2020
- Rugged Individualism in Times of Pandemic Endangers Human Life Everywhere - The Good Men Project - April 18th, 2020
- The very American conflict between liberty and lockdown - The Week - April 18th, 2020
- Kelly Loeffler Knows What Socialism Is, And It Is 'Opposing Insider Trading' - Wonkette - April 18th, 2020
- OP-ED | The Era of Small Government is Over - CT News Junkie - April 18th, 2020
- Facebook's Libra Association tries again at this digi-cash game, with more modest ambitions after global flop - The Register - April 18th, 2020
- Gangster in the White House: Noam Chomsky on COVID-19, WHO, China, Gaza and Global Capitalism - Democracy Now! - April 18th, 2020
- Experts Assess Pandemic's Damage to the Economy - New Ideal - March 31st, 2020
- Yaron Brook Talks Ayn Rand's ATLAS SHRUGGED, FOUNTAINHEAD & Covid-19 On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - March 31st, 2020
- Sen. Rand Paul's reply to why he risked exposing people, or Selfish is as selfish does - Louisville Eccentric Observer - March 31st, 2020
- The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun - The Atlantic - March 31st, 2020
- How Coronavirus is shaking up the moral universe - Economic Times - March 31st, 2020
- Society's 'invisible bonds' come into the light - Newsroom - March 31st, 2020