ThinkMarkets chief analyst Naeem Aslam on his outlook for Bitcoin.
Investors around the world have taken notice of Bitcoins rapid rise in price as well as some dramatic falls since it launched just a decade ago.
Buying and selling cryptocurrencies can feel like doing commerce in a sort of digital wild west. There are fortunes to be made, but also scammers and thieves ready to take advantage of the unprepared.
But as the world enters its second decade with crypto, traditional financial services and mainstream businesses have been examining how they can get in on it, and regulators have also taken note. As the market continues to evolve, here are five things to know about cryptocurrency:
Cryptocurrencies rely on a technology called blockchain, which is an open database of every transaction that verifies the security of transactions.
For Bitcoin, each block contains numerous transactions, and they are added to the blockchain by computers doing complex mathematical equations, a process called mining. The miners are then provided Bitcoin as transaction fees for the service.
The amount of Bitcoin rewarded to miners decreases by half for every 210,000 blocks confirmed, and theres a maximum amount of potential Bitcoin: 21 million. The ability to create Bitcoin will stop in the year 2140, when the supply reaches that limit.
A collection of Bitcoin (virtual currency) tokens are displayed in this picture illustration taken December 8, 2017. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/Illustration (Reuters)
Other cryptocurrencies are tied to other systems. Some are even connected to physical assets like gold. Popular cryptocurrencies besides Bitcoin include Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and XRP.
People store their cryptocurrencies in a wallet, an app that contains the mathematical signature proving ownership of the currency.
Cryptocurrencies can be bought and sold on exchanges. Popular ones include Coinbase, Binance and Gemini. Intercontinental Exchange Inc., the owner of the New York Stock Exchange, has announced plans to launch a crypto exchange called Bakkt.
The first - and to date - most popular cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, went live on Jan. 3, 2009. It was created by someone named Satoshi Nakamoto, who may actually be several people using a pseudonym. The first 50 Bitcoin were mined that day.
Bitcoinmarket.com, the first Bitcoin exchange, opened in March of 2010. Others soon followed.
On May 22, 2010, a man paid 10,000 Bitcoin to someone who ordered two pizzas for him from Papa Johns. As the market value of Bitcoin later skyrocketed, that Bitcoin would be worth millions of dollars.
Namecoin, the first alternative cryptocurrency called an altcoin was launched on April 18, 2011.
A customer feeds cash currency in to a Bitcoin ATM located in Flat 128, a boutique in New York's West Village, U.S. on August 22, 2014. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo
Bitcoins market price hit $10,000 per coin for the first time on Nov. 28, 2017. It peaked less than a month later at its all-time high price of $19,783.21.
GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE
In June of 2019, Facebook announced that it planned to launch a cryptocurrency called Libra.
The price of cryptocurrencies can fluctuate widely. Bitcoins price has previously dropped about $1,000 in a single day.
Bitcoin remains the most valuable cryptocurrency and has the highest market capitalization calculated by the number of currently available currency and the price. Other cryptocurrencies range in price from a few hundred dollars per coin to a fraction of a cent.
Exchanges like Coinbase keep track of the prices of various cryptocurrencies and provide a platform for trading them.
Cryptocurrency market statistics. Photograph of computer screen. (iStock)
The short answer is, Yes. But illegal activity can still be tied to crypto.
The IRS has treated cryptocurrencies as property for tax purposes since 2014. The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission defines virtual currencies as commodities. The Securities and Exchange Commission says offers and sales of digital assets were subject to federal law.
In April of 2019, the SEC issued its framework on digital currencies that fall under the category of a security.
The SEC has recently announced several cases of litigation related to cryptocurrencies:
Cryptocurrencies are a rapidly evolving field.
One exchange, Mt. Gox, was shuttered after it lost hundreds of thousands of Bitcoin and went bankrupt. In May, the exchange Binance said hackers stole thousands of Bitcoin worth millions of dollars.
Some lawmakers are eager to add additional regulations, just as more traditional businesses like Facebook with its Libra are looking to get into the market.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's face is visible on a mock "Zuck Buck" depicted on a screen as David Marcus, CEO of Facebook's Calibra digital wallet service, foreground, is questioned by Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., during a House Financial Services C (AP)
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said in early September that Libra will need to be held to a high standard.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON FOX BUSINESS
Libra would have to be held to the highest regulatory standards and supervisory expectations, he said.
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 24th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 24th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 24th, 2020
- More Than 14 Million XRP Deposits Within the First Week of Listing on CoinLoan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Market Makers Hold The Key To Success Of Early-Stage Cryptocurrency Projects - hackernoon.com - June 24th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- South Korea to Unveil Rules of Cryptocurrency Taxation in July - Finance Magnates - June 24th, 2020
- Evorese.com, a new and promising cryptocurrency exchange - PR Web - June 24th, 2020
- Accessible crypto: Will the arrival of ziglu drive new levels of cryptocurrency adoption? - FXStreet - June 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 14th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 14th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 14th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: A Value Investor's Take On This Asset Bubble - Seeking Alpha - June 14th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0: The Choice Between Ones Own Node and a Staking Service - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 14th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- What Is The Future Of Cryptocurrency Going To Look Like? - About Manchester - June 6th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- HOW TO BUY BITCOIN ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT - Island Echo - June 6th, 2020
- Could Bitcoin Trading Volume Really 100X in Four Years? - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Bloomberg's Pie-in-the-Sky Bitcoin Call Looks Directionally Defensible - CoinDesk - June 6th, 2020
- $1.4 Billion In Cryptocurrency Stolen In The Spring of 2020 Amid Coronavirus and WoToken Scams - CryptoPotato - June 6th, 2020
- How to win cryptocurrency by playing Flappy Bird - Decrypt - June 6th, 2020
- What Is The Best Cryptocurrency Broker? - Cryptonews - June 6th, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Who are the distributors, traders and dealers of Cryptocurrency Market? - Fresno Observer - June 6th, 2020
- OKEx Continues Their Ongoing OKB Token Buyback - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 25th, 2020
- Zcash's First Halving May Solve Its Inflation Problem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- The Global Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market is expected to grow by $ 2.80 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast... - May 25th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 25th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- Eight Countries That Don't Tax Your Bitcoin Gains | Finance Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 25th, 2020
- The Top 5 Cryptocurrencies to Mine  | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - May 25th, 2020
- Can Stablecoins Be the Answer to Cryptocurrency's Biggest Problem? - News Anyway - May 25th, 2020
- ZIMBOCASH Lists Cryptocurrency Token, Wants To Be Alternative To ZW$ - Technology Zimbabwe - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, and Litecoin Prices Wait for Bitcoins Halving - Crypto Briefing - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving, coronavirus and recession: Is an adoption surge ahead? - Verdict - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bityard Launched A Global Business Layout Using Singapore As Its Base - IndianWeb2.com - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales massively accumulating, Ethereum and Ripple commence consolidation - FXStreet - May 7th, 2020
- Rand Corporation report finds bitcoin is still the dark webs preferred cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and the future of the automotive trading industry - Irish Tech News - May 7th, 2020