Cryptocurrency buying and selling got a boost with the recent decision by Starbucks to accept cryptocurrencies as payment for food and drink which only adds to the pressure for more businesses to do the same.
Its not an easy decision to make, especially for anyone without strong instincts for digital technology; and there are risks as well as advantages.
Cryptocurrencies are a digital invention, an asset created, held and traded entirely online without any underpinning by Governments. They are not a fiat currency, one issued by a Government with all the security, regulation and visibility that implies. Quite the reverse. Cryptos exist because people have willed them into being and find them useful enough to value accordingly. Furthermore, they rarely come up for air to be converted into real money, so our collective experience of them is low.
Their value is also volatile, swerving alarmingly from dizzying highs to uncomfortable lows since Bitcoin, the first and most famous, arrived just over 10 years ago.
There is also an invisibility to crypto that can be unsettling, with some iterations turning out to be more risky than others.
But there are solid commercial benefits. Crypto allows for instant, borderless payments. This can be an advantage for businesses that trade globally and particularly those with an e-commerce platform.
They are also not bound by a single countrys exchange rate or even location, making it easy for companies entering a global market to accept payments from anywhere in the world. In addition, they avoid banking transaction charges.
And there is the marketing edge. The very fact of accepting crypto communicates something dynamic and engaged about a business; and being able to offer several payment options, including this one, helps secure trade as well as to stand apart from rivals.
There are certainly plenty of cryptos out there, but Bitcoin and Ethereum are the most well-known and understood. This make them arguably the most sensible to work with, at least initially, if you take the plunge.
It is perfectly possible to set up digital wallets and accept crypto payments directly. But that means also accepting all the associated risk and technical know-how required.
Few businesses will want to get that involved in the infrastructure associated with holding the coins, let alone working out what they are worth at the crucial moment an invoice is raised. Fortunately, there are now a number of large, well-regarded exchanges. These essentially absorb the risk of accepting digital payments and make the necessary transfers, including translating the crypto into the fiat amount billed.
BitPay, for example, is a payment processing provider that will convert a traditional fiat currency fee into a Bitcoin equivalent as soon as it is issued.
That Bitcoin price is then fixed for 15 minutes before being automatically renewed using the same process. This is necessary because of the value fluctuations.
The invoicing firm then receives its payment electronically through BitPay, but as fiat money.
The advantage for the invoicing business from using a reputable exchange is reduced risk and the likelihood of prompt payments, particularly as clients respond to the 15 minute conversion windows. And for some, who bought Bitcoins when they were cheaper that current prices, there is the prospect of goods or services costing them far less to actually pay for. A win-win.
Although paying for services by crypto may seem something of a niche currently, it is hard to think that will remain the case for much longer, especially as the world moves to paperless transactions in fiat currencies.
Issues around risk are also likely to diminish. Governments are fully engaging with the highly complex task of trying to regulate an essentially invisible, stateless currency; and with regulation will come oversight and a reassuring legitimacy. In fact, something to bank on.
Jon Wedge is a financial services partner at accountancy firm and business advisers BKL.
Further reading: The cryptocurrency investors guide
View original post here:
Cryptocurrency buying and selling and how it works - What Investment
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 24th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 24th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 24th, 2020
- More Than 14 Million XRP Deposits Within the First Week of Listing on CoinLoan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Market Makers Hold The Key To Success Of Early-Stage Cryptocurrency Projects - hackernoon.com - June 24th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- South Korea to Unveil Rules of Cryptocurrency Taxation in July - Finance Magnates - June 24th, 2020
- Evorese.com, a new and promising cryptocurrency exchange - PR Web - June 24th, 2020
- Accessible crypto: Will the arrival of ziglu drive new levels of cryptocurrency adoption? - FXStreet - June 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 14th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 14th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 14th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: A Value Investor's Take On This Asset Bubble - Seeking Alpha - June 14th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0: The Choice Between Ones Own Node and a Staking Service - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 14th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- What Is The Future Of Cryptocurrency Going To Look Like? - About Manchester - June 6th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- HOW TO BUY BITCOIN ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT - Island Echo - June 6th, 2020
- Could Bitcoin Trading Volume Really 100X in Four Years? - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Bloomberg's Pie-in-the-Sky Bitcoin Call Looks Directionally Defensible - CoinDesk - June 6th, 2020
- $1.4 Billion In Cryptocurrency Stolen In The Spring of 2020 Amid Coronavirus and WoToken Scams - CryptoPotato - June 6th, 2020
- How to win cryptocurrency by playing Flappy Bird - Decrypt - June 6th, 2020
- What Is The Best Cryptocurrency Broker? - Cryptonews - June 6th, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Who are the distributors, traders and dealers of Cryptocurrency Market? - Fresno Observer - June 6th, 2020
- OKEx Continues Their Ongoing OKB Token Buyback - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 25th, 2020
- Zcash's First Halving May Solve Its Inflation Problem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- The Global Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market is expected to grow by $ 2.80 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast... - May 25th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 25th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- Eight Countries That Don't Tax Your Bitcoin Gains | Finance Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 25th, 2020
- The Top 5 Cryptocurrencies to Mine  | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - May 25th, 2020
- Can Stablecoins Be the Answer to Cryptocurrency's Biggest Problem? - News Anyway - May 25th, 2020
- ZIMBOCASH Lists Cryptocurrency Token, Wants To Be Alternative To ZW$ - Technology Zimbabwe - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, and Litecoin Prices Wait for Bitcoins Halving - Crypto Briefing - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving, coronavirus and recession: Is an adoption surge ahead? - Verdict - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bityard Launched A Global Business Layout Using Singapore As Its Base - IndianWeb2.com - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales massively accumulating, Ethereum and Ripple commence consolidation - FXStreet - May 7th, 2020
- Rand Corporation report finds bitcoin is still the dark webs preferred cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and the future of the automotive trading industry - Irish Tech News - May 7th, 2020