While financial institutions like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Citi and nowUBSare leaping into the space,there is also a lot of less traditional news happening.
Dont miss out on how smart money is playing the crypto game. Subscribe to our premium newsletter - Crypto Investor.
Elon Musk wants to literally bring Dogecoin to the moon, Mark Zuckerberg has apparently named his goat Bitcoin, Tom Brady may be buying Bitcoin and Carole Baskin is starting her own cryptocurrency.
UBS recently said in a statement that it is considering offering cryptocurrency investment products for its clients.
We are monitoring the developments in the field of digital assets closely. Importantly, we are most interested in the technology which underpins digital assets, namely the distributed ledger technology."
According to Bloomberg, the company has concerns that it could lose clients should it not offer crypto products. In the last year, nearly every large financial institution has announced some level of crypto products for its investors either directly or indirectly through third parties.
UBS joins in on the trend of adoption among the largest financial institutions in the world.
Dogecoin has exploded in value over the last few months. At one point last week, the crypto was up well over 20,000% on the year. Now, some have had expressed concern over its massive increase.
These concerns range from its fundamentals when compared to other more popular cryptos like Bitcoin as well as the fact that 0.002% of Dogecoin wallets hold 2/3rds of the coin's total supply. With so much of the supply in so few people's hands, fears of centralization and whale pump and dumps are growing.
But Dogecoin's shaky fundamentals and meteoric rise aren't the only things getting the crypto in the headlines. Elon Musk has constantly been referencing the crypto, even using it as a topic in skits during his SNL appearance.
Recently, SpaceX announced that it would begin accepting Dogecoin as payment for its 'DOGE-1' mission. The Dogecoin-funded mission will launch a satellite with the company's Falcon 9 rocket to "obtain lunar-spatial intelligence from sensors and cameras on-board with integrated communications and computational systems.
SpaceX's vice president, Tom Ochinero, said that DOGE-1will demonstrate the application of cryptocurrency beyond Earth orbit and set the foundation for interplanetary commerce.
Musk even sent a tweet saying that SpaceX would literally put Dogecoin on the moon.
SpaceX is going to put a literal Dogecoin on the literal moon
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 1, 2021
The cryptocurrency community has always drooled over the news of the next billionaire or company to buy Bitcoin. Recently, people have been wondering if Facebook could be getting involved. There were lots of rumors that Facebook would reveal Bitcoin holdings in its latest earnings report, but those rumors turned out to be false.
Yesterday Mark Zuckerberg posted a picture to his Facebook of his goats who he has named Max and Bitcoin, which only fueled the speculative fire.
This post caused a Twitter storm from the crypto community. Popular crypto-Twitter influencer, Anothony Pompliano, thought that the combination of the names 'Max' and 'Bitcoin' could be a hint that Zuckerberg is a Bitcoin maximalist.
Is Mark Zuckerberg telling us he is a bitcoin maximalist with the names of his goats? ? pic.twitter.com/GKlMdqdeXJ
— Pomp ? (@APompliano) May 10, 2021
Others feared that Zuckerberg could eat the goats after it was brought up that he had once butchered and served a goat for a meal with Twitter founder, Jack Dorsey. At the time, Zuckerberg was only eating meat that he himself had butchered as opposed to purchasing meat at the store.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Dorsey said,"We go in the dining room, He puts the goat down. It was cold. That was memorable. I don't know if it went back in the oven. I just ate my salad."
Tom Brady recently added the classic crypto-Twitter laser eyes to his profile picture. The trend started on Twitter when crypto influencers began saying #lasereyesuntil100. This meant that they would have laser eyes until Bitcoin reached $100,000. But why does Tom Brady have them?
— Tom Brady (@TomBrady) May 10, 2021
Jason Yanowitz, the co-founder of Blockworks, sent a tweet out saying "Rumor has it @TomBrady is loading up on Bitcoin. Retweet if you think the GOAT should turn on laser eyes. Lets make it happen."
Attached to the post was an edited picture of Brady with laser eyes which Brady later made his profile picture. While Brady could very well own some Bitcoin, he could have chosen the new picture due to his new NFT platform called Autograph.
Autograph's CEO and co-founder, Dillon Rosenblatt, said that"Autograph will bring together some of the world's most iconic names and brands with best in class digital artists to ideate, create and launch NFTs and ground-breaking experiences to a community of fans and collectors."
During the Q&A section of Palantir's earnings call, an investor asked if the company would consider holding Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies on its balance sheet.
In response, Palantir's CFO, David Glazer said, "The short answer is yes. We're thinking about it and we've even discussed it internally."
Glazer also noted that the company accepts Bitcoin as payment already.
"On the other side of that, in terms of accepting Bitcoin from our customers, we do accept it as a form of payment. We're open for business there."
Glazer's comments solidify the company's name on a growing list of companies that accept and hold Bitcoin.
On Wednesday of last week, some strange news hit the crypto world. Carole Baskin, the reality star made famous from the hit show, Tiger King, which aired on Netflix early in the pandemic, announced that she is launching her own cryptocurrency.
Baskin said her new crypto, known as$CAT, "is not a currency for investment, but rather is a purr-ency of our fans to show their love for the cats. Future plans include a big cat metaverse for virtual visits with the cats and NFTs, which are launching in about two weeks."
Baskin's new coin is listed on Rally.io, a platform that lets creators and artists launch NFTs and cryptocurrencies using the Ethereum blockchain.
Im investigating cryptocurrencies because I am concerned about the volume of US dollars that are being printed and distributed with nothing to back them up. I like the idea of putting the power of money in the hands of the people, rather than banks and governments," said Baskin.
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk has been dragging Bitcoin where it dreaded to go - Mint - June 6th, 2021
- Square will invest $5 million to build solar-powered bitcoin mining facility - The Verge - June 6th, 2021
- We Own Our Money': Bitcoin Conference In Miami Is The Biggest Yet - NBC 6 South Florida - June 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin falls on fear of Weibo suspending some crypto accounts - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Why Bitcoins wild ride bodes well for the future of digital cash - Business Standard - June 6th, 2021
- View: Elon Musk is pulling Bitcoin where it loathed to go - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 6th, 2021
- (BTC USD) Bitcoin, Crypto Unlikely to Escape Regulation: Riksbank Governor - Bloomberg - June 6th, 2021
- The real price of the bitcoin gold rush - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - May 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin Isn't Behaving as an Inflation Hedge. Its Move Still Makes Sense - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- ETF Wrap: Is a new 'crypto' fund the long-awaited bitcoin ETF in disguise - MarketWatch - May 14th, 2021
- Here's How Much Square Is Relying on Bitcoin - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2021
- Brex Partners With TravelBank To Launch Bitcoin And Ether Rewards Program For Businesses - Forbes - May 14th, 2021
- Australian man Craig Wright who says he created bitcoin takes 4bn claim to London high court - The Guardian - May 14th, 2021
- SEC Warns of Bitcoin Futures Risks in Mutual Fund Investments - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- Will We Have a Bitcoin ETF This Year - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- If Bitcoin Doesnt Rally Soon The Selloff Will Be Devastating - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin SV: The Original Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Is There A Bitcoin Supply Shortage? - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- This bitcoin misconception could be what takes it to $250,000, according to Morgan Creeks Yusko - CNBC - May 11th, 2021
- Factbox: Bitcoin's march towards the mainstream - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- CME says more than 100000 micro bitcoin futures traded in first six days - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Why Some Money Experts Believe In Bitcoin and Others Dont - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- A Privacy Standard In Bitcoin, And How It Will Protect Bitcoin Users - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- Dogelon Mars, Shiba Inu and Dogecoin take the lead as Bitcoin consolidates - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2021
- My dad wants to invest in Bitcoin. Should he? - NJ.com - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin's sell-off by the numbers: Oppenheimer puts the latest drop into perspective - CNBC - April 21st, 2021