Longtime concept creator and operations specialist Jack Gibbons has succeeded Randy DeWitt as CEO of what was formerly known as Front Burner Restaurants, part of a recast of the Texas-based multi-brand operation into a next-generation venture, FB Society.
DeWitt, the founder of Front Burner, moves up to chairman.
As part of the companys makeover, industry veteran Rae Phillips-Luther was retained to serve as CMO under a contractual arrangement.
The personnel moves are part of a shift in the companys focus, Gibbons said in an interview with Restaurant Business. Front Burner has concentrated on polished-casual concepts such as Whiskey Cake, Sixty Vines and Mexican Sugar. Our next few concepts are going to be fast casuals, said Gibbons. Plus, we see ourselves as franchising futurists. We think theres still a gaping hole in the franchise space.
The only concept that Front Burner has ever franchised is Twin Peaks, a brand it sold years ago. It now has a potential growth vehicle in Son of a Butcher, the fast-casual slider concept that it launched as a 1,500-square-foot freestanding restaurant that Front Burner opened a few weeks ago.
Another fast-casual venture, Buttercup Love Me Tenders, is scheduled to be launched in January, Gibbons said. Like Son of a Butcher, Buttercup started as a station in Front Burners Dallas food hall, Legacy Hall. That operation sports a number of other concepts that could be parlayed into a fast-casual chain, including a pasta and pizza place called The Italian Job.
Its kind of almost my playground, Gibbons said of Legacy Hall. We take chances there, we try things there.
The plan is to hatch concepts, often using Legacy Hall as the incubator, and then nurture them into something with scale. The company can then expand the brands itself or seek out partners such as private-equity firms to fuel growth, as Front Burner did with its New Age taco concept, Velvet Taco. That brand is now owned by L Catterton, with a minority stake retained by FB Society.
Gibbons and DeWitt, whove been partners since the former left Pappas Restaurants almost 13 years ago, decided to form FB Society as the result of brainstorming during the pandemic. While so many brands were forced to retract, or even shut down during the current crisis, we made a decision that Front Burner would not only survive, but emerge smarter, stronger and more cohesive, DeWitt said in a statement.
We really dreamed a little about the industry would look like, while assessing our teams, our strategy, our aspirations, said Gibbons.
The re-think yielded a plan for growth under a fresh corporate entity, FB Society. There are going to be more opportunities, Gibbons continued. There are going to be more brands.
We almost have a process today where its super creative, he continued. Randy is the futurist who tends to think about whats next. I ve always been the operational person. Weve always created concepts together.
The recast was possible, he explained, because of Front Burners strategy of bringing in proven talent to run its brands. Jeff Carcara, a veteran of casual-dining operations big (Bloomin Brands) and small (Barcelona and BarTaco), was hired at the start of the pandemic as president of Sixty Vines. Ray Risley was given responsibility for Whiskey Cake. Velvet Taco is run by longtime casual-dining and fast-casual veteran Clay Dover.
Whats really brining us success is putting leadership behind the brands, said Gibbons. Doing that gives us more freedom.
Among the ways that found time is being used is in checking out the potential of virtual concepts, he noted. Right now, a launch isnt a priority, Gibbons indicatedwe are creators of experiences. But . I never say never. Were looking at that, were studying it, were talking to our colleagues who have experience with it.
But the market and the opportunities it affords will be the driver of RBs strategy, even during an extraordinary period such as the pandemic, he says.
We really used this crisis, commented Gibbons. I dont have an incredible amount of worries."
Go here to read the rest:
Creator of Twin Peaks and Velvet Taco gets new CEO, new identity, new focus - Restaurant Business Online
- Lost treasures of Liverpool now confined to history - Liverpool Echo - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says That Going to Mars Is Silly - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Coronavirus Cases Around the World Are Finally Dropping - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Cities Are So Heavy That They're Sinking Into the Earth - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Texans Are Sleeping In Their Teslas to Survive Freezing Cold - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Floyd Mayweather Throws Wild 44th Bday Bash for Himself, Gives Logan Paul Update - TMZ - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe Invites People With Disabilities to Become Astronauts - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says All Wealthy Nations Should Switch to Synthetic Beef - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Reading Thelin's 'A History of American Higher Education' as an Amateur Futurist | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - February 4th, 2021
- Food futurist Jack Bobo tells how sustainability will shape the future of food - Baking Business - February 4th, 2021
- IBM Algorithm Can Tell Who's Going to Get Alzheimer's by Reading Their Writing - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- This Apple Car showcases a futuristic automotive revolution that makes the Tesla Cybertruck look old-school! - Yanko Design - February 4th, 2021
- Theater to Stream: Shakespeare Villains and Hot-Tub Dreams - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- NASA Boss: We Have "Every Indication" That Artemis Is Safe Under Biden - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- HALs futuristic, deadly CATS to be battle-ready by 2024-25 - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- Surgeons Give Man New Face and Hands - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- chengdu's futuristic fully-automated unmanned metro stations open to the public - Designboom - February 4th, 2021
- Saudi Arabia's futuristic city project in talks over cloud computing deal - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2021
- A University Is Using a Dead Professor to Teach an Online Class - Futurism - January 31st, 2021
- BADG's Obsidian is a futuristic concept house powered by Black creativity - Business of Home - January 31st, 2021
- Expert: We Could Vaccinate Everyone on Earth and Not Eliminate the Coronavirus - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- The US Army Is Testing an Auto-Aiming Part of Its "Iron Man" Suit - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- China Is Sending a Mission to Study the Sun - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- New Gene Therapy Reverses Aging in Mice - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Space Station Captures Amazing Footage of Lightning From Above - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Professional Gamer Retires After Career-Ending Injury to Thumb - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Fourth Annual Shape of the Region Conference - Prince William Living - January 25th, 2021
- Engineering can contribute to a reimagining of the US public health system | The Conversation - News-Herald.com - January 25th, 2021
- The companies making the most essential smart home gadgets - Quartz - January 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Our choices can save lives over the next six months - December 19th, 2020
- Ford futurist: 2020 brought more stress than ever but ... - December 19th, 2020
- This 'futurist-in-chief' says gaming could be bigger than the physical economy - CNN - December 19th, 2020
- Darwinism, Storytelling, and the Futurist ET Myth - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Report: Electric Cars Could Be Cheaper Than Gas Ones in Just 2 Years - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- SpaceX's Next Starship Prototype Could be Headed to Launch Pad on Thursday - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- NASA Says It Will Fly a Canadian to the Moon - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Surgeons Who Operate on Their Birthday Appear to Kill Way More Patients - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- These are the 5 most valuable skills to learn right now, says futuristand where to find free online courses - CNBC - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Missing 40 Percent of the Universe's Matter - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- New Evidence: There Was Another Planet in the Solar System That Escaped - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Found a Way to Make Infrared Light Visible to Humans - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Neo-Futurists: bringing theatre further into the future - North by Northwestern - November 7th, 2020
- Walmart Is Giving Up on Its Inventory Robots - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- US Government Seizes $1 Billion in Silk Road Bitcoin - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists in Japan Build Robot to Hold Hands With Lonely People - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- MIT Algorithm Detects COVID-19 in the Sound of Your Cough - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- If This COVID-Blocking Nasal Spray Works on Humans, It Could Change the Course of the Pandemic - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Amazon Patent Makes the Most Horrible Gamers Play With Each Other - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- These are the Skills and Mindsets of the Leader of the Future - Entrepreneur - November 7th, 2020
- Our Soil is Poised To Release Billions of Tons of Carbon - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Martian Meteorites Show Red Planet Had Water Billions of Years Ago - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Futurist art movement tried its hand at cooking, with unappetizing results - The A.V. Club - September 26th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020