Donald Trump clung to his core election falsehoods in his first post-presidential speech, wrongly blamed wind power for the catastrophic power failures in Texas and revived a variety of the baseless claims that saturated his time in office, on immigration, the economy and more.
A look at Trumps remarks Sunday at the Conservative Political Action Conference:
TRUMP, assailing Democrats on energy policy: The windmill calamity that were witnessing in Texas ... its so sad when you look at it. That will just be the start.
TRUMP, on President Joe Biden: He wants windmills. ... The windmills that dont work when you need them.
THE FACTS: Windmill calamity is a false characterization. The power outages during the severe February storm in Texas were primarily due to failures in natural gas, coal and nuclear energy systems, not wind and solar.
Those traditional sources were responsible for nearly twice as many outages as frozen wind turbines and solar panels, according to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the states power grid.
ERCOT reported that of the 45,000 total megawatts of power that were offline statewide during the winter storm, about 30,000 consisted of thermal sources gas, coal and nuclear plants and 16,000 came from renewable sources. Wind only supplies about a quarter of the electricity in Texas.
Its not like we were relying on it to ride us through this event, Joshua Rhodes, a research associate at the Webber Energy Group at the University of Texas at Austin, said of wind power. Nor would it have been able to save us even if it were operating at 100% capacity right now. We just dont have enough of it.
Wind power comes from turbines, not windmills. Windmills grind grain. Trump always gets that wrong.
TRUMP: Had we had a fair election, the results wouldve been much different.
TRUMP: You cannot have a situation where ballots are indiscriminately pouring in from all over the country ... where illegal aliens and dead people are voting.
TRUMP: This election was rigged and the Supreme Court and other courts didnt want to do anything about it.
TRUMP on Democrats: They just lost the White House. ... I may even decide to beat them for a third time.
THE FACTS: All of this is flatly wrong, except it is true that the high court did not intervene, because the justices Trump nominees among them saw no reason to.
Biden won the election. It was run and counted fairly. His victory was affirmed in Congress, with Trumps vice president presiding over the process in the Senate, in the hours after the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol insurrection by a mob stoked by Trump.
Trumps allegations of massive voting fraud were either refuted or brushed off as groundless by a variety of judges, state election officials, an arm of his own administrations Homeland Security Department, and his own attorney general. His campaigns lawsuits across the country were thrown out of court or otherwise came to nothing.
No case established irregularities of a scale that would change the outcome no flood of dead people voting or ballots indiscriminately pouring in from all over the country.
Biden earned 306 electoral votes to Trumps 232, the same margin that Trump had when he beat Hillary Clinton in 2016, which he repeatedly described as a landslide. (Trump ended up with 304 electoral votes because two electors defected.)
TRUMP, on foreign countries that are the source of migrants to the U.S.: Theyre not giving us their best and their finest.
THE FACTS: This falsehood goes way back in the Trump administration. Foreign countries do not select people to send to the U.S. That is not at all how immigration works.
He is referring to the diversity visa lottery program, although he did not identify it as such in these remarks. As president, Trump routinely assailed the program, mischaracterizing it as one in which other countries pick out undesirable citizens to send to the U.S.
The U.S. government runs the visa program and foreigners who want to come to the U.S. apply for it. The program requires applicants to have completed a high school education or have at least two years of experience in the last five years in a selection of fields identified by the Labor Department.
Out of that pool of people from certain countries who meet those conditions, the State Department randomly selects a much smaller pool of winners. Not all winners will have visas ultimately approved. Its not a pipeline for countries to send their troublemakers to the U.S.
TRUMP: We took in hundreds of billions of dollars from China during my administration. They never gave us 10 cents.
THE FACTS: False and false, and very familiar.
Its false to say the U.S. never collected a dime in tariffs on Chinese goods before he took action. They are simply higher in some cases than they were before.
Its also wrong to say the tariffs are being paid by China. Tariff money coming into the treasury is mainly from U.S. businesses and consumers, not from China. Tariffs are primarily if not entirely a tax paid domestically.
TRUMP: We built the strongest economy in the history of the world.
THE FACTS: No, the numbers show it wasnt the greatest in U.S. history, much less in the history of the world. He was actually the first president since Herbert Hoover in the Depression to leave office with fewer jobs than when he started.
The U.S. did have the most jobs on record before the pandemic, but population growth explains part of that. The 3.5% unemployment rate before the pandemic-induced recession was at a half-century low, but the percentage of people working or searching for jobs was still below a 2000 peak.
Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Romer looked at Trumps economic growth record. Growth under Trump averaged 2.48% annually before the pandemic, only slightly better than the 2.41% gains achieved during Barack Obamas second term. By contrast, the economic expansion that began in 1982 during Ronald Reagans presidency averaged 4.2% a year.
See the original post here:
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump is facing yet another new lawsuit this one from a NJ parolee | Kelly - NorthJersey.com - April 17th, 2021
- Trump Allies Work to Craft a Platform Going Beyond Fealty to Him - Bloomberg - April 17th, 2021
- Where is Donald Trump? - TRT World - April 15th, 2021
- Meet the Woman Who Could Send Donald Trump to Prison - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2021
- Heres Everything We Know About Donald Trumps Personal Finances - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump Caused The Techlash - Techdirt - April 15th, 2021
- Pastor Johnny Enlow Says People Will Understand Donald Trump's Bravery When They Get to Heaven - Newsweek - April 15th, 2021
- How Rich Are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and All the Other Living US Presidents? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Just How Rich Are Donald Trump, President Biden and These Other Big Names? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Numbers show Donald Trump lost big with non-believers, but many religious voters stuck with him | Opinion - pennlive.com - April 15th, 2021
- Bidens gamble: Will pulling troops revive extremist threat? - KXAN.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whether you trust Donald Trump, or Joe Biden, or Kristi Noem, or Dusty Johnson, weve all gotten the vaccine - KELOLAND.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whats Donald Trump up to these days? I tried to find out via Instagram - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trumps net worth dropped by one-third during his presidency - FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 11th, 2021
- Revisiting 2016's 'Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie' and the Comedy of the Trump Era - International Policy Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Former President Trump's PAC has $85 million on hand as he prepares for midterms and possible 2024 run - CNBC - April 11th, 2021
- The National Archives won't be able to host Donald Trump's tweets on Twitter - Yahoo Tech - April 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Asks to Sanction Donald Trump Over 'Baseless' Election Lawsuit - Bloomberg - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump and the Art of the Faustian Deal - The National Interest - April 11th, 2021
- Boehner blames Trump, regrets impeaching Clinton and other things we learned from his memoirs - The Cincinnati Enquirer - April 11th, 2021
- Trump held steady among believers at the ballot it was the nonreligious vote he lost in 2020 - Salon - April 11th, 2021
- To hold Donald Trump to account for the Jan. 6 riot, Marcy Kaptur joins a lawsuit against him: This Week in t - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump Sued by 2 Capitol Police Officers Over Jan. 6 Insurrection - TMZ - March 31st, 2021
- Why Donald Trump Is Fuming Over Dr. Fauci And Dr. Birx - The List - March 31st, 2021
- The Unlikely Team of Prosecutors Hunting Trump in Georgia - The Daily Beast - March 31st, 2021