John Acquaviva knows more than most about the impact of social isolation, not just on the economy but our psyche.
The London native an international star on the electronic dance circuit was among the first people in the city to contract COVID-19 in early March and rarely has left his home since.
Saturday, Acquaviva and five of the citys most accomplished DJs are busting out and heading to an empty London Music Hall, from which theyll live-stream a show dubbed From Our Place to Yours as a benefit for the Canadian Mental Health Association.
Were just trying to get a little awareness out there for mental health, said Acquaviva, whose stay at home has been the longest hes experienced in three decades.
This pandemic has certainly been a test for all people in isolation and the weather hasnt been helping either for getting out for a walk or cycling. Its been so damn cold. Its tough for everyone. With all the support that Ive been getting from the community and what everyones doing to fight this pandemic, the least we could do is help and band together and do something.
Music DJ, producer and entrepreneur John Acquaviva has been diagnosed with COVID-19 after returning March 8 from an overseas trip.John Acquaviva
Also on the bill are Jesney, Gilles Bernard, Alex Hawken, Aaron Winter and Joel Demoor, who will mix house music, techno, tech-house and trance in a family friendly show. Winter will serve as host of the show, organized by the London Music Hall and promoter Jason Carpenter, of N.E.C. Productions.
The show can be accessed online at http://www.twitch.tv/necevents and starts at 7 p.m. Donations can be made online at gofundme.com/f/lmh-live-stream with all proceeds going to the CMHA. More than $1,000 already has been raised toward the $5,000 goal.
Carpenter said many DJs have continued to broadcast online from their homes.
I think we have some of the best sound (DJs) around in this city, and I thought it would be cool to do something from the London Music Hall, which is probably the best live venue in the city, said Carpenter.
We wanted to do something to showcase the local talent but also to draw attention to the importance of mental health in these times with people losing their jobs and the overall stress this situation (pandemic) is causing. I know people would rather have the whole, live experience. This is almost like a Band-Aid until we can get together again and see each others faces.
Carpenter said hes thrilled Acquaviva, whos been DJing since the early 1980s, agreed to do the show.
Hell probably appeal more to the older crowd, but hes still recognized as the biggest talent to come out of London and hes definitely still relevant, said Carpenter, noting those who sign up for a free Twitch account will be able to chat and interact during the show.
DJ Bryan Jesney also is excited about the prospect of sharing the stage with Acquaviva.
Hes been pushing this music since the 1980s, so hes a pioneer in electronic dance business, said Jesney.
I think its great to be doing this, with all thats going on in the world. Its exciting to be doing something and sending a positive message out there at a benefit show and to be playing in front of John Acquaviva, who is not only a veteran of electronic dance but a survivor of the coronavirus.
In 1989, Acquaviva and fellow DJ Richie Hawtin founded Plus 8 Records, which became one of the worlds most popular and influential techno labels. They also co-founded Definitive Recordings in 1992, which has produced six No. 1 tunes on Beatport.com, including Gail in the O, the second longest running No. 1 song in Beatport.
When the music world went digital, Acquaviva and Hawtin again were at the forefront with the development of Final Scratch, a software program that allowed DJs to connect digital files to turntables and have instant access to thousands of songs without crates full of records.
Today, Acquaviva is crisscrossing the globe on business trips often mixed with music, still doing about 50 or 60 shows a year.
This is the longest period of time Ive spent at home and havent travelled in 30 years, said Acquaviva.
I dont need to be up on stage anymore, but I do love it and I really enjoy connecting with people. I think that now that I havent been able to do anything in a while, Ive started to think about it and miss it.
Acquaviva, who has performed in stadiums in front of tens of thousands of fans, said he will miss the live audience but Im not going to do anything that risks someone elses health, not when Ive been through it and know what this virus can do.
I know we all miss that social interaction and many of have a feeling, a sense of emptiness, and loss, and sadness. Who knows when we can come together again, physically? But, for the most part, I think a DJ should be listened to and I dont think the live component is as compelling as it is with a live band, said Acquaviva.
Up on that stage, Im not going to be able to see people dancing, but the production levels for the audience are top class with the lighting and sound. You dont have to wear a mask, just enjoy the show and leave a positive message.
Continue reading here:
- Armin van Buuren reveals all-time A State Of Trance Top 1000 list - We Rave You - January 13th, 2021
- Police called to right-wing broadcaster Iain Dale's house after neighbours thought he was having a rave - Hull Live - January 13th, 2021
- 13 Songs on the Brink of Impeachment: A Recharge Playlist - Mother Jones - January 13th, 2021
- Growth of Electronic Dance Music in the 1990s - One EDM - January 13th, 2021
- 5 reasons you need to watch Alice in Borderland on Netflix - Netflix Life - January 13th, 2021
- Recap 2020: Fahadh in Trance, Anna in Kappela & other top performers of this year - Republic World - December 26th, 2020
- Men Of The Year 2020: The Midas Touch Of Anwar Rasheed - Man's World India - December 26th, 2020
- W&W Wrap Up the Year with Highly Anticipated New Single "Gold" - Your EDM - December 26th, 2020
- Women Of The Year 2020: In Her Second Innings Nazriya Nazim - Man's World India - December 26th, 2020
- The 15 Best Techno Tracks of 2020 - Magnetic Magazine - December 26th, 2020
- Ferry Corsten drafts in fans from around the world to work with him on 'Free' - Rave Jungle - December 26th, 2020
- Good Morning Mix: Begin the day in Belgium with Armin van Buuren's Tomorrowland 2013 set - Dancing Astronaut - December 26th, 2020
- Dhanush & Manju Warriers Asuran, Nazriya Nazim & Fahad Fazils Trance to be part of Indian Panorama 2020 - PINKVILLA - December 21st, 2020
- Recap 2020: Ayyappanum Koshiyum to Trance, here are 5 best Malayalam movies of 2020 - Republic World - December 21st, 2020
- Taapsee Pannu in Thappad to Roshan Matthew in CU Soo..atik Gandhi in Scam 1992 The best performers of 2020 - Firstpost - December 21st, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Tomorrowland New Year's Eve: what to expect - We Rave You - December 21st, 2020
- Ferry Corsten Collaborated With 22 of His Fans to Produce His New Trance Single, "Free" - EDM.com - December 19th, 2020
- Anticipated A State Of Trance Year Mix 2020 by Armin van Buuren Has Arrived - The Nocturnal Times - December 19th, 2020
- Afternoons producer banished from the biscuit tin with some hypnotic help - 2GB - December 19th, 2020
- 3 New Artists To Watch Out For in the New Year - One EDM - December 19th, 2020
- A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS | Shop local and scratch off that holiday list with these staff picks - Ventura County Reporter - December 19th, 2020
- Beat Authority best of 2020: The year of no live music - North Country Public Radio - December 19th, 2020
- In Trance by the Scorpions: the story behind the song - Louder - December 15th, 2020
- Jorn van Deynhoven retires from DJing and producing - We Rave You - December 15th, 2020
- The best Malayalam films of 2020 - The Indian Express - December 15th, 2020
- Khumariyaan's Chaap Trance is a genre you've never heard before - DAWN.com - December 15th, 2020
- Tetris Effect: 5 Things It Does Better Than Other Tetris Games (& 5 Things That Are Worse) - TheGamer - December 15th, 2020
- Bose Sport Earbuds: 5 things you need to know - EDGAR - December 15th, 2020
- Discover: 'You're getting sleepy' the amazing science of hypnosis - Sudbury.com - July 21st, 2020
- Dance Bii with WesdaRuler, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- MCs, Stunts and Doing Keys: Behind the Scenes With Bad Boy Chiller Crew - VICE UK - July 21st, 2020
- Blackpool nurse is a hit as guest DJ on Dave Pearce Delirium show as a thank you to key workers - Blackpool Gazette - July 21st, 2020
- Tisto to unveil VER:WEST at Tomorrowland's Around The World - Dancing Astronaut - July 21st, 2020
- Magic Beans Gather At Beanstalk: At The Drive-In Part Deux With SunSquabi, Dynohunter, More [Photos] - Live for Live Music - July 21st, 2020
- People who are easily hypnotized are more likely to be addicted to their smartphones, study finds - PsyPost - July 21st, 2020
- INTERVIEW | Gautham Menon feels a big film is all that is needed to bring audience back to theaters - The New Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- Back in the pool: the new rules of swimming - The Irish Times - July 21st, 2020
- Bachelorette: Brother of Country Star Granger Smith On Clares Season - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- Around the Bluhmin' Town: Dog days of summer have arrived - Verde Independent - July 21st, 2020
- Hayden James creates golden waves with this summer selection - The Irish Sun - July 21st, 2020
- Dil Bechara: Sushant Singh Rajput, Sanjana Sanghi Take On Paris And Find Ways To Khulke Jeena Ka - Mashable India - July 21st, 2020
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Murder House Flip: The Quibi series' showrunner on why he wanted to flip murder houses. - Slate - April 7th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020