HOW might our government policies responding to COVID-19 effect women who are victims of domestic violence, where home is already an unsafe space?
Thats a question raised by CQUniversity domestic violence researcher Dr Brian Sullivan, who also asks how could our COVID-19 response embolden already abusing and controlling men?
Dr Sullivan has reflected on possible consequences but says these concerns are in no way meant to be definitive.
If a woman is living with a coercive controlling abusive man, she and her life are already in lockdown she is microregulated in the home her movements and whereabouts are monitored she is living with an atmosphere of oppression and domination already under threat and under surveillance already, like a hostage.
A COVID-19 lockdown could limit her freedom even more and make him even more dangerous because her isolation is now government policy.
If services (government and non-government) are also in lockdown and services are running with skeletal staff, will this mean that womens support services are going to be harder to access? Will this mean that police response to domestic violence is going to be compromised? Will this mean that mens domestic violence intervention programs are no longer able to keep eyes on him and keep him motivated to change if groups are not up and running?
If hospitals are inundated with patients who have contracted COVID-19 and emergency wards are overloaded, will this mean that a woman who is a victim of domestic violence is unable to get the medical attention she needs and when she needs it?
Will womens domestic violence shelters be open and functioning and accessible? A womans pathways to safety may be roadblocked by enforced lockdown.
If churches, gyms, schools, kindergartens, etc are closed for business, are these other potential avenues of support for the woman that are now blocked for her?
If neighbours are in lockdown and social distancing is the expected behaviour, could that mean a woman who is a domestic violence victim is even more isolated and cut off from informal social and extended family supports?
We know that disasters can cause financial strains and this context can be where an already violent and abusive man can escalate his violence and abuse. How are our already stretched intervention systems going to be able to cope with this likelihood to keep women safe and perpetrators nonviolent?
There are many unknowns, unanswered questions and ongoing complexities in the current situation our society is trying to navigate, Dr Sullivan says.
What we do know is that when resources are low, and responses are slow then the safety of women and children is compromised and our ability to contain and constrain perpetrators is weakened. We need to be on guard and prepared for this contingency also.
If this article has raised concerns or you have experienced domestic or family violence, call 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732 (24/7 counselling).
- The myth of the 'model minority' - Los Altos Town Crier - June 24th, 2020
- Trump's move against China for its Uighur oppression makes him look like a hypocrite - NBC News - June 24th, 2020
- Free Markets and Limited Government Reconceived - Niskanen Center - June 24th, 2020
- Trudeaus government has a plan to tackle racism in the RCMP. Experts say it wont work - Global News - June 24th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter is International: Where there is oppression, there will be resistance - Council On Hemispheric Affairs - June 24th, 2020
- Unabated killing in IOK - The Express Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- No Justice, No Peace: Voices of the Young and Outraged - rvamag.com - June 24th, 2020
- I grew up a white Jew in South Africa, so I am joining the fight against racism - The Jewish News of Northern California - June 24th, 2020
- In 15 years, RTI has gone from Indian citizens most powerful tool to an Act on life support - ThePrint - June 24th, 2020
- Public Diplomacy and the Risk of Overmoralizing - The Bulwark - June 24th, 2020
- Rule of law must first be strengthened by people power - Mail and Guardian - June 24th, 2020
- Benton County JP compares masks to burqas and talks about a coup - KARK - June 24th, 2020
- Remove Manu statue from premises of Rajasthan HC: Dalit activist to Sonia - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2020
- 'We have no justice:' Are Native Americans the forgotten victims of police brutality? - Great Falls Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Letter: Wearing masks isn't oppression - The Republic - June 13th, 2020
- Readers Comments: If you oppress a people for too long, they will rise with greater force - Scroll.in - June 13th, 2020
- When tools for a health emergency become tools of oppression - Pursuit - June 13th, 2020
- Kidnapping Of Thai Exile Ignites Protests For Justice - The Organization for World Peace - June 13th, 2020
- Myth: Second Amendment protects individual liberties | TheHill - The Hill - June 13th, 2020
- Lambeth Council orders audit of all borough landmarks for links with slavery, colonialism and oppression of black communities - BrixtonBuzz - June 13th, 2020
- How People Power Strengthens the Rule of Law by Doug Coltart - Project Syndicate - June 13th, 2020
- Let Hongkongers Immigrate to the WestAnd other Victims of Chinese Government Oppression, too - Reason - June 1st, 2020
- Minnesota and Michigan show that we are living in a Hobbesian state of nature - Bryan-College Station Eagle - June 1st, 2020
- Anchorage racism rally pamphlet says 'pigs are enemy of the people' - Must Read Alaska - June 1st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Why I wear a mask and you should, too Agassiz Harrison Observer - Agassiz-Harrison Observer - June 1st, 2020
- An Unfathomable Oppression Meets An Astronomical Resistance: Police Vs. The People - New University - June 1st, 2020
- People protested peacefully -- and things got worse | 48 hills - 48 Hills - June 1st, 2020
- Modi 2.0: Dark clouds have engulfed the nation, writes Sitaram Yechury - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Surveillance takes on many different forms during a pandemic, according to Concordia researcher - The Suburban Newspaper - June 1st, 2020
- Diversity and inclusion officials address police brutality - GW Hatchet - June 1st, 2020
- Why I wear the mask - The Times-Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: The Gated Republic by Shankkar Aiyar - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Jatri Kalyan Samity demands withdrawal of bus fare hike - United News of Bangladesh - June 1st, 2020
- Unmasking Biden's hypocrisy and government control in America - Bayoubuzz - June 1st, 2020
- Mexico's other epidemic: Murdered women - The Conversation US - June 1st, 2020
- Virus apps expose tension between privacy and need for data - Buenos Aires Times - June 1st, 2020
- Why discrimination between blood of a black man and a Kashmiri? - Kashmir Media Service - June 1st, 2020
- UT national security expert: COVID-19 accelerating some global trends, changing the direction of others - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds march in Huntington to protest police brutality, systemic racism - MU The Parthenon - June 1st, 2020
- The history of Puerto Rico shows that nationalism can be liberatory rather than xenophobic - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - June 1st, 2020
- Reply on behalf of the Indian people to the Honble Prime Minister of India - indica News - June 1st, 2020
- Protests against police brutality turn to violence in Albany - Times Union - June 1st, 2020
- Donald Trump, "The Crowd" And A Nation's Bitter Despair - Modern Diplomacy - June 1st, 2020
- Is Civil Disobedience Justified in Defense of the Freedom to Worship? - PanAm Post - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouverites are taking to the streets to speak out against racism amidst deaths of George Floyd, Regis Korchinski-Paquet - Vancouver Is Awesome - June 1st, 2020
- Man's Thoughts of Black Stepson Prompted George Floyd Demonstration in Madison Heights Oakland County Times - Oakland County 115 News - June 1st, 2020
- East Turkistan Government in Exile Applauds US Senate Passing of Uyghur Human Rights Bill - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- D. Dowd Muska: Stay-at-home folks overreacting to COVID-19 protocols - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- SUDDEATH COLUMN: Slow reopening hints at long road to recovery - Evening News and Tribune - May 15th, 2020
- Scotland's lost a great thinker and fighter after Neil Davidson's death - The National - May 15th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Pelosi Sets Marker With Virus Vote - Bloomberg Government - May 15th, 2020
- My Idea Of Socialism - The Shillong Times - May 15th, 2020
- When India Tested a Nuclear Device on Its Citizens - Modern Diplomacy - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus Highlights Tragic, Longstanding Racial Inequity in the U.S. | Opinion - Newsweek - May 15th, 2020
- Letter of the Day | We must develop our human capital - Jamaica Gleaner - May 15th, 2020
- Andrea Circle Bear and six centuries of genocide - Workers World - May 15th, 2020
- The American Way of Life Is Shaping Up to Be a Battleground - The New York Times - May 14th, 2020
- Beijing Hones and Exports Religious Oppression | Opinion - Newsweek - May 14th, 2020
- After coronavirus: Global youth reveal that the social value of art has never mattered more - The Conversation CA - May 14th, 2020
- Telling the truth about China's oppression of Uyghurs MercatorNet - MercatorNet - May 14th, 2020
- A year on, the Christchurch Call must go beyond dont livestream mass murder - The Spinoff - May 14th, 2020
- Iraq's new government in the Iran-US crossfire - World - Al-Ahram Weekly - Ahram Online - May 14th, 2020
- Commentary: Message to Trump, Newsom and Faulconer: 'Please release us from the coronavirus oppression' - The San Diego Union-Tribune - May 14th, 2020
- Turning point: What will be the post-pandemic 'new normal'? - People's World - May 14th, 2020
- Live and Let Die - Cascadia Weekly - May 14th, 2020
- Free power, easy loans: How Uttarakhand is trying to hold back locals who have returned from cities - Scroll.in - May 14th, 2020
- What's Left of the Failed States Debate?: Putting Five Hypotheses to the Test - World - ReliefWeb - May 14th, 2020
- Beating around the bush on the constitutional conundrum - Ethiopia Insight - May 14th, 2020
- LABOUR REFORMS NOT IN SYNC WITH CONSTITUTION Northeast Today - NorthEast Today - May 14th, 2020
- Music helps us remember who we are and how we belong during difficult and traumatic times - The Conversation CA - May 8th, 2020
- Covidspiracy Uncovered: The truth about 5G - Shout Out UK - May 8th, 2020
- Land rights sand castle in a wind storm | - IndigenousX - May 8th, 2020
- [OPINION] Our lack of critical reflection is the real disease in our midst - Rappler - May 8th, 2020
- Ubuntu, privilege and sheer ignorance thrive in the midst of Covid-19 - News24 - May 8th, 2020
- GOP lawsuit to block Tony Evers' order to stay home in hands of Supreme Court - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 7th, 2020
- Chinese oppression 'worse than US reported' - UCAN - May 7th, 2020
- Growing hunger and oppression face urban poor - The Tablet - May 7th, 2020
- A Spotlight on Health Care Disparity During COVID-19 - Drug Topics - May 7th, 2020
- Money Heist: An Exhaustive Review of Alex Pina's New Series - The New Leam - May 7th, 2020
- Andrew Cuomo, The Virus King | 570 WSYR | Bob Lonsberry - KFI AM 640 - May 7th, 2020