JoAnne Viviano The Columbus Dispatch @JoAnneViviano
A new pain pellet that scientists are developing in Columbus isabout half the size of a grain of rice, but researchers say it delivers a big dose of relief that could one day help fight the opioid epidemic.
The tiny rod holds a nonaddictive painkiller that doctors could insert in the lower back, much like an epidural, to give a patient a break from chronic or acute pain, said Dr. Ali Rezai, director of the Neurological Institute at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center. He would not reveal the painkiller, saying only that it is a drug that already has beenused successfully as a cardiovascular medication.
Goals includegiving physicians an alternative to the opioid-based pain medications that have led to addiction.
"We want to look at the opioid crisis," Rezai said. "We want to stop it at its root."
Supporters have formed a company, Sollis Therapeutics, to create the product and are now raising funds, said Dr. Greg Fiore, Sollis' chief executive officer. Fiore hails from Boston and is the founder of Fiore Healthcare Advisors, a scientific consulting firm. Rezai serves as scientific adviser to Sollis.
>> Join the conversation at Facebook.com/columbusdispatchand connect with us on Twitter @DispatchAlerts
A small trial of 55 people with sciatica pain in the lower back and legs showed that the pellet stopped pain for up to one year and was safe and easy to use,Fiore said. Researchers will next seek to perform a large clinical trial, hoping toconfirm effectiveness and safety. The trial will involve a broader group of peopleculled from pain centers across Ohio.
If efficacy and safety are proved, researchers would seek approval for the pellet from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. They hope to have the pellet in use within four or five years.
Sollis, headquartered in the University District, is the second company to be formed by the Neurotechnology Innovations Translator, which is funded by the Ohio Third Frontier Program. Both seek to move ideas from the lab to the marketplace.
Opioids are commonly used to treat chronic pain,Rezai said.
But the highly addictive nature of the medications, Fiore said, is a reason to find alternatives. Someone who takes opioids for a single day, for example,has a 6 percent chance of being addicted a year later.
"It's really important to avoid starting, even for legitimate conditions," he said. "It confers an increased risk for not being able to come off these drugs."
Along with medications, 11 million steroid injections are given each year to treat neck and back pain in the United States, Rezai said.Such injections might not work and, when they do, relief doesn'tlast long.
He wanted to bring the project to Ohio, and hopes are to eventually manufacture the pellets here.
"It's one of the ground zero states for the opioid crisis," Rezai said. "This is a big problem; it's just spiraling, so we want to find solutions quickly."
See the original post here:
- Neurotechnology Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 26th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 26th, 2019
- Neurotechnology firm partners two care facilities with eye movement platform - Med-Tech Innovation - December 13th, 2019
- SyncThinks eye-tracking helps monitor brain health and concussion risk - VentureBeat - December 12th, 2019
- These were the 15 best CEOs of 2019 - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Worldwide Facial Recognition Market Latest Research By Business Expansion Plans, Industry Demand Status & Forecast 2028 - Tech News Today - December 12th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017
- Team Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 30th, 2017
- Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) and Uroplasty (UPI) Financial Survey - Stock Observer - July 29th, 2017
- Tufts Hosts Engineering Conference - Tufts Now - July 28th, 2017
- Stryker reports 6.1% Q2 growth, installs 26 Mako systems: 7 things ... - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - July 28th, 2017
- Arshya Vahabzadeh: Innovating at the Intersection of Brain, Behavior, and Technology - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Capstone Asset Management Company Has Boosted By $555078 Its Raytheon Co (RTN) Holding, Stryker (SYK)'s ... - Herald KS - July 26th, 2017
- Trivascular Technologies (TRIV) & Stryker Corporation (SYK) Critical Review - Stock Observer - July 26th, 2017
- fMRI, EEG Tests May Detect Consciousness in Severe TBI Patients - PsychCentral.com - July 24th, 2017
- BRAIN center gathers to ponder future, direction - Arizona State University - July 20th, 2017
- Preserving the Right to Cognitive Liberty - Scientific American - July 19th, 2017
- Comparing Uroplasty (UPI) and Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - July 18th, 2017
- Insider Activity Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - Highlight Press - July 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology: 5 braincomputer interface innovations - Red Bull - Red Bull - July 12th, 2017
- DARPA invests further in neurotechnology - SD Times - SDTimes.com - July 11th, 2017
- Infinitely Flexible 3D Printing with Ultrasonic Manipulation? - ENGINEERING.com - July 11th, 2017
- HIRREM Neurotechnology Better Than Placebo for Insomnia - Sleep Review - July 10th, 2017
- What is NIT? Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 5th, 2017
- Mind-blowing ultrasonic 'printer' uses lasers and high-frequency sound to assemble electronics - Digital Trends - July 1st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Explains Ultrasonic Manipulation in 3D Printing - 3DPrint.com - June 30th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Develops 3D Printing Method with Non-Contact Ultrasonic Manipulation Technology - 3DPrint.com - June 26th, 2017
- Neurotechnology makes a number of updates to the MegaMatcher product line - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- Neurotechnology adds face recognition, tracking to video surveillance systems; researchers win competition - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- SentiVeillance Server - Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - Officer.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Brain data, neurotechnology and education | code acts in ... - June 21st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces SentiVeillance Server Facial Recognition Solution - findBIOMETRICS - June 21st, 2017
- New SentiVeillance Server from Neurotechnology Adds Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - PR Newswire (press release) - June 19th, 2017
- Accuray (ARAY) versus Stryker Corporation (SYK) Head-To-Head Review - The Cerbat Gem - June 17th, 2017
- Helping or Hacking? Engineers, Ethicists Must Work Together on Brain-Computer Interface Technology - Government Technology - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Researchers Win Kaggle Competition with Deep Neural Network Solution for The Nature ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Wins Fisheries-Focused Computer Vision ... - findBIOMETRICS - June 15th, 2017
- A Hardware Update for the Human Brain - HardOCP - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Releases MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme, the Fastest Biometric Engine in the World - PR Newswire (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- Helping or hacking? Engineers and ethicists must work together on brain-computer interface technology - San Francisco Chronicle - June 14th, 2017
- Favorable Press Coverage Very Likely to Affect Stryker Corporation (SYK) Stock Price - Sports Perspectives - June 14th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme - findBIOMETRICS - June 12th, 2017
- Head to Head Analysis: Accuray (ARAY) and Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Sports Perspectives - June 12th, 2017
- Welch Capital Partners Increased By $3.59 Million Its Eqt (EQT) Position, Stryker (SYK) Sellers Decreased By 3.59 ... - UtahHerald.com - June 10th, 2017
- Comparing Accuray (ARAY) & Stryker (SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - June 9th, 2017
- Shoosmiths advises PD Neurotechnology on 1.34m (EUR) investment - Shoosmiths legal updates (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Shoosmiths advises PD Neurotechnology on 1.34m investment - Scottish Legal News - June 7th, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Earning Somewhat Favorable Media Coverage, Report Finds - Chaffey Breeze - June 5th, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Receives Media Impact Score of 0.15 - Chaffey Breeze - June 3rd, 2017
- Scientists remotely move a mouse's whiskers with electrodes outside its brain - The Verge - June 1st, 2017
- The tiny cyborg dragonfly drones have taken flight - Mashable - June 1st, 2017
- Somewhat Positive Press Coverage Likely to Impact Stryker (SYK) Stock Price - The Cerbat Gem - June 1st, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Getting Positive News Coverage, Study Shows - Chaffey Breeze - May 28th, 2017
- $20000 ONtrepreneurs Pitch Challenge Winner Announced - Canada NewsWire (press release) - May 23rd, 2017
- FAQ Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - May 13th, 2017
- Rythm Accelerates Sleep Research and Neurotechnology Efforts With a Prestigious Scientific Advisory Board and ... - PR Newswire (press release) - May 13th, 2017
- Freedom of the mind under threat with new technology - BioEdge - May 8th, 2017
- Do We Have a Right to Mental Privacy and Cognitive Liberty? - Scientific American (blog) - May 4th, 2017
- Future tech could jeopardise 'freedom of mind': experts - Outlook India - Outlook India - May 2nd, 2017
- This Is Your Brain on Business - Fortune - May 2nd, 2017
- Future tech could jeopardise 'freedom of mind', say experts - Daily News & Analysis - April 30th, 2017
- Will your computer delete your thoughts? - TRUNEWS - April 28th, 2017
- Researchers advocate neurorights to protect brain data - The Stack - April 28th, 2017
- Download - Neurotechnology - April 27th, 2017
- Rise of Neurotechnology: Defend Against Brain Hackers Before It's Too Late - Sputnik International - April 27th, 2017
- A new category of human rights: neurorights - BMC Blogs Network (blog) - April 27th, 2017
- In a neuro-techno future, human rights laws will need to be revisited - Science Daily - April 27th, 2017
- New computers could delete thoughts without your knowledge ... - The Independent - April 27th, 2017
- Stryker Co. Announces Quarterly Dividend of $0.43 (SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - April 25th, 2017