JoAnne Viviano The Columbus Dispatch @JoAnneViviano
A new pain pellet that scientists are developing in Columbus isabout half the size of a grain of rice, but researchers say it delivers a big dose of relief that could one day help fight the opioid epidemic.
The tiny rod holds a nonaddictive painkiller that doctors could insert in the lower back, much like an epidural, to give a patient a break from chronic or acute pain, said Dr. Ali Rezai, director of the Neurological Institute at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center. He would not reveal the painkiller, saying only that it is a drug that already has beenused successfully as a cardiovascular medication.
Goals includegiving physicians an alternative to the opioid-based pain medications that have led to addiction.
"We want to look at the opioid crisis," Rezai said. "We want to stop it at its root."
Supporters have formed a company, Sollis Therapeutics, to create the product and are now raising funds, said Dr. Greg Fiore, Sollis' chief executive officer. Fiore hails from Boston and is the founder of Fiore Healthcare Advisors, a scientific consulting firm. Rezai serves as scientific adviser to Sollis.
>> Join the conversation at Facebook.com/columbusdispatchand connect with us on Twitter @DispatchAlerts
A small trial of 55 people with sciatica pain in the lower back and legs showed that the pellet stopped pain for up to one year and was safe and easy to use,Fiore said. Researchers will next seek to perform a large clinical trial, hoping toconfirm effectiveness and safety. The trial will involve a broader group of peopleculled from pain centers across Ohio.
If efficacy and safety are proved, researchers would seek approval for the pellet from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. They hope to have the pellet in use within four or five years.
Sollis, headquartered in the University District, is the second company to be formed by the Neurotechnology Innovations Translator, which is funded by the Ohio Third Frontier Program. Both seek to move ideas from the lab to the marketplace.
Opioids are commonly used to treat chronic pain,Rezai said.
But the highly addictive nature of the medications, Fiore said, is a reason to find alternatives. Someone who takes opioids for a single day, for example,has a 6 percent chance of being addicted a year later.
"It's really important to avoid starting, even for legitimate conditions," he said. "It confers an increased risk for not being able to come off these drugs."
Along with medications, 11 million steroid injections are given each year to treat neck and back pain in the United States, Rezai said.Such injections might not work and, when they do, relief doesn'tlast long.
He wanted to bring the project to Ohio, and hopes are to eventually manufacture the pellets here.
"It's one of the ground zero states for the opioid crisis," Rezai said. "This is a big problem; it's just spiraling, so we want to find solutions quickly."
See the original post here:
- Neurotechnology tops FVC-onGoing biometric test results with fingerprint recognition tech - Biometric Update - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 Cole Reports - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Will Elon Musk's Neuralink Shape the Future of Humanity? - Oxford Student - May 23rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Global Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Smell cameras built to detect explosives on planes - The Nation - May 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk Really Is A Huge Gearhead (These Facts Prove It) - TheThings - May 11th, 2020
- Airbus working on sensors that can detect coronavirus - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - May 11th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market Analysis, Size, Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - Herald Writeup - May 11th, 2020
- Navigating the New Normal With COVID-19: 12 Essential Actions Executives Need To Take Right Now - OPEN MINDS - April 18th, 2020
- Discover How to Easily Teach Neuroscience to Your Kids - Thrive Global - April 18th, 2020
- CHIME: How Yale's Engineers and Doctors are Innovating to Combat COVID-19 - Yale News - April 18th, 2020
- The Coronavirus is Driving the 1st World Headlong into The Fourth Industrial Revolution - Live Trading News - April 18th, 2020
- The Global Face Recognition Market is expected to grow from USD 3,546.56 Million in 2019 to USD 9,992.35 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - April 18th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Forecast with Top Companies, Growth Factors, Classification, Regional Analysis, Development Factors and Bedding Fabrics... - March 31st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Skyline... - March 31st, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Discover How Increased Adoption of Among Developing Economies Offers A Major Opportunity in Industry - Skyline Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- Stryker to participate in Cowen 40th Annual Health Care Conference - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- Non-fiction reviews: One Blade of Grass and three other titles - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk promises to have the Neuralink brain chip in a human this year - Inceptive Mind - February 9th, 2020
- CES 2020: The symbiosis of human and machine - The Drum - January 29th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q4 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- United States Air Force Plans to "Aim High" Leveraging the Science of Neuroplasticity - Yahoo Finance - January 26th, 2020
- MarketsandMarkets forecasts the global facial recognition market size to grow from USD 3.2 billion in 2019 to USD 7.0 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of... - January 26th, 2020
- Wearable technology drives Phoenix to be leader in innovation - AZ Big Media - January 26th, 2020
- Eli Lilly's Acquisition Strategy, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - January 26th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 26th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 26th, 2019
- Neurotechnology firm partners two care facilities with eye movement platform - Med-Tech Innovation - December 13th, 2019
- SyncThinks eye-tracking helps monitor brain health and concussion risk - VentureBeat - December 12th, 2019
- These were the 15 best CEOs of 2019 - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Worldwide Facial Recognition Market Latest Research By Business Expansion Plans, Industry Demand Status & Forecast 2028 - Tech News Today - December 12th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017
- Team Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 30th, 2017
- Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) and Uroplasty (UPI) Financial Survey - Stock Observer - July 29th, 2017
- Tufts Hosts Engineering Conference - Tufts Now - July 28th, 2017
- Stryker reports 6.1% Q2 growth, installs 26 Mako systems: 7 things ... - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - July 28th, 2017
- Arshya Vahabzadeh: Innovating at the Intersection of Brain, Behavior, and Technology - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Capstone Asset Management Company Has Boosted By $555078 Its Raytheon Co (RTN) Holding, Stryker (SYK)'s ... - Herald KS - July 26th, 2017
- Trivascular Technologies (TRIV) & Stryker Corporation (SYK) Critical Review - Stock Observer - July 26th, 2017
- fMRI, EEG Tests May Detect Consciousness in Severe TBI Patients - PsychCentral.com - July 24th, 2017
- BRAIN center gathers to ponder future, direction - Arizona State University - July 20th, 2017
- Preserving the Right to Cognitive Liberty - Scientific American - July 19th, 2017
- Comparing Uroplasty (UPI) and Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - July 18th, 2017
- Insider Activity Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - Highlight Press - July 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology: 5 braincomputer interface innovations - Red Bull - Red Bull - July 12th, 2017
- DARPA invests further in neurotechnology - SD Times - SDTimes.com - July 11th, 2017
- Infinitely Flexible 3D Printing with Ultrasonic Manipulation? - ENGINEERING.com - July 11th, 2017
- HIRREM Neurotechnology Better Than Placebo for Insomnia - Sleep Review - July 10th, 2017
- What is NIT? Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 5th, 2017
- Mind-blowing ultrasonic 'printer' uses lasers and high-frequency sound to assemble electronics - Digital Trends - July 1st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Explains Ultrasonic Manipulation in 3D Printing - 3DPrint.com - June 30th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Develops 3D Printing Method with Non-Contact Ultrasonic Manipulation Technology - 3DPrint.com - June 26th, 2017
- Neurotechnology makes a number of updates to the MegaMatcher product line - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- Neurotechnology adds face recognition, tracking to video surveillance systems; researchers win competition - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- SentiVeillance Server - Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - Officer.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Brain data, neurotechnology and education | code acts in ... - June 21st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces SentiVeillance Server Facial Recognition Solution - findBIOMETRICS - June 21st, 2017
- New SentiVeillance Server from Neurotechnology Adds Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - PR Newswire (press release) - June 19th, 2017
- Accuray (ARAY) versus Stryker Corporation (SYK) Head-To-Head Review - The Cerbat Gem - June 17th, 2017
- Helping or Hacking? Engineers, Ethicists Must Work Together on Brain-Computer Interface Technology - Government Technology - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Researchers Win Kaggle Competition with Deep Neural Network Solution for The Nature ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Wins Fisheries-Focused Computer Vision ... - findBIOMETRICS - June 15th, 2017
- A Hardware Update for the Human Brain - HardOCP - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Releases MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme, the Fastest Biometric Engine in the World - PR Newswire (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- Helping or hacking? Engineers and ethicists must work together on brain-computer interface technology - San Francisco Chronicle - June 14th, 2017
- Favorable Press Coverage Very Likely to Affect Stryker Corporation (SYK) Stock Price - Sports Perspectives - June 14th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme - findBIOMETRICS - June 12th, 2017
- Head to Head Analysis: Accuray (ARAY) and Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Sports Perspectives - June 12th, 2017
- Welch Capital Partners Increased By $3.59 Million Its Eqt (EQT) Position, Stryker (SYK) Sellers Decreased By 3.59 ... - UtahHerald.com - June 10th, 2017