Read Story Transcript
Canadians are heading to the polls in two weeks, but one futurist argues that one day we'll be casting our votes for a robot prime minister.
"At some point we're going to create a machine that's better than the human brain, and that machine is going to be better at running the planet and running the world," said Zoltan Istvan.
"You really have an opportunity here to maybe get what we can see as true leadership, for the very first time in perhaps everyone's lifetime."
Istvan ran in the 2016 U.S. presidential election under the banner of the Transhumanist Party, a group that believes in using technology to modify and enhance our intellect and bodies as long as no harm results to anyone else. He is not running in the 2020 campaign.
He said people he met along the campaign trailwere skeptical of the Transhumanist pitch, but argued that people underestimate how quickly technology is advancing.
He told The Current's Laura Lynch that "almost every single action that a human does, a machine can almost certainly do dramatically better."
"When you talk about running a country, you talk about governing for the greatest good," Istvansaid. "Amachine is going to have better algorithms."
He added that one benefit of robot leaders would be that they could improve over time, weeding out idiosyncrasies or issues experienced by previous iterations.
A robotprogrammed to lead wouldn't necessarilybe stuck behind a desk on Parliament Hill it could beartificial intelligence that you could access anywhere, like a smart speaker in your living room.
The implication for democracy would be that "in the future, an AI will be able to keep on millions and millions of close relationships with its voters base," Istvansaid.
It "might be campaigning right in your living room," he added.
"That's where this becomes really interesting, is a really direct relationship with a potential AI political leader."
Kerstin Dautenhahn, Canada 150 research chair in intelligent robotics, said she "would definitely not want political leaders to be robots."
She told Lynch that "we need to maybe be realistic on what machines are good at, and what humans are good at."
"AI is certainly very good [at] enhancing vast amounts of data, so for example, recognizing one face in a million different faces, or collecting data on people's habits and then recognizing patterns," said Dautenhahn, director of the social and intelligentrobotics research lab at the University of Waterloo.
"What machines are not very good at is common sense and general intelligence, so for example machines lack compassion, they lack empathy."
Dautenhahn said those common sense decisions are vital for politicians "because they are dealing with incomplete information, they have to make quick decisions, they have to make predictions."
"That's what people are very good at and it is because we are human beings," she said.
Istvan argued that decisions based on emotion can lead to "total chaos."
"That's why we want pure reason, pure statistical analysis," he said.
He told Lynch that "even if the picture is incomplete, a statistical analysis of that would make a much better decision than something that comes out with emotions."
"Frankly, the last thing I want is [U.S. President Donald] Trump to be emotional as he's making decisions with the military and things like that."
Istvan said the qualities needed for leadership could eventually be programmed into robots, but Dautenhahn warned that the people programming them could unwittingly introduce their own biases.
"I would certainly not vote for a robot because ... there's no such thing as pure rational decision-making," she said.
Dautenhahn acknowledged that humans make mistakes, but perhaps robotics could be used to help us make better-informed decisions, rather than just making them for us.
"I think humans are pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good in what they're doing, and they can certainly be complemented by AI, in areas where the AI is very good."
Written by Padraig Moran. Produced by Ben Jamieson.
- Will love potions be the future of relationships? - BioEdge - January 27th, 2020
- The Neural Revolution Is Almost Here. Should We Fear It? | Articles | Chief Data Officer - Innovation Enterprise - January 25th, 2020
- Catholic priest at Davos on AI and the soul - The Tablet - January 25th, 2020
- The future of implants in the latest Medical Technology - Verdict Medical - Medical Device Network - January 15th, 2020
- Harry Hains, actor in American Horror Story and The OA, dies at 27 - SYFY WIRE - January 15th, 2020
- WISeKey to Hold its 13th Annual Cybersecurity IoT Blockchain Roundtable in Davos on January 22, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - December 26th, 2019
- Seattle faith groups reckon with AI and what it means to be truly human - Seattle Times - November 12th, 2019
- Mexico in 2030: Discover the Top 12 Trends to Drive Decision-Making - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Terminator: Dark Fate Arnie's back, but he should have stayed away - The Irish Times - October 24th, 2019
- Do transhumanists need their own bill of rights? - Quartz - October 23rd, 2019
- The finale issue of House of X/Powers of X: We dig into every detail - Polygon - October 13th, 2019
- Are LED lights and other techno-implants slowly turning us into the Borg? - SYFY WIRE - October 13th, 2019
- Scissor Sisters' Ana Matronic, Phill Jupitus and Johnny Ball to star in Festival of the Future in Dundee - The Courier - October 13th, 2019
- Sports Man of the Future - The Good Men Project - October 13th, 2019
- Ben Affleck Promises a Heroic Batman in 'Justice League' - TVOvermind - August 16th, 2017
- Transhumanism could lead to immortality for the elite - Gears Of Biz - August 6th, 2017
- The risk of a transhumanist future - BioEdge - August 6th, 2017
- William Gibson: what we talk about, when we talk about dystopia - Boing Boing - August 4th, 2017
- Transhumanism: Can technology help mankind transcend its natural limitations? - Scroll.in - August 3rd, 2017
- AI and Transhumanism: Could Quest for Super-intelligence and Eternal Life Lead to a Dystopian Nightmare? - Newsweek - August 1st, 2017
- Transhumanists May Lead Us Into a Dystopian Future - Inverse - August 1st, 2017
- Opinion: Super-intelligence and eternal lifetranshumanism's faithful follow it blindly into a future for the elite - Phys.Org - July 31st, 2017
- Liam Payne Joins Ranks of Trans-Supportive Celebrities - PopCrush - PopCrush - July 28th, 2017
- What the Gay Lobby Doesn't Want You to Know - Church Militant - Church Militant - July 26th, 2017
- SIMPLE CREATURE Review - Film Pulse - July 26th, 2017
- Southern Kaduna crises: Porous boarders responsible for free e - Daily Trust - July 15th, 2017
- Get bloody with Butcher's free Steam demo | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - July 15th, 2017
- The Soul of the Matter Now in Paperback; Read Bruce Buff's Thriller on Intelligent Design! - Discovery Institute - July 13th, 2017
- Government moves to save farmers - The Nation Newspaper - July 5th, 2017
- Synergy Between Torah and Science: How Far is TOO Far? - Breaking Israel News - July 5th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another 'religion' in which man seeks to become God - WND.com - July 2nd, 2017
- How to stay pro-tech when social media can eat young lives - New Scientist - July 1st, 2017
- An Interview with Rick Rosner on Women and the Future (Part 1) - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- Butcher review - ThisisXbox (press release) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Video and Photos: Trans Marchers Celebrate the Passing of Trans Human Rights Bill - Torontoist - June 24th, 2017
- Meet The Biohacking Pioneers Who Are Redesigning Their Own Bodies - Co.Design (blog) - June 23rd, 2017
- Our Outdated Debates - First Things - June 23rd, 2017
- New iOS Games and Apps of the Week: PS4 PlayLink and more - The iPad Guide - June 16th, 2017
- Colin McEnroe: It's 2027, Hartford's On The Cutting Edge - Hartford Courant - June 1st, 2017
- We'll support gov't end nomadic herdsmen conflict Group - Citifmonline - May 28th, 2017
- [ May 25, 2017 ] Transhumanism: Engineering Utopia Culture - Conatus News - May 26th, 2017
- Video Review | Butcher - Big Boss Battle - Big Boss Battle (blog) - May 17th, 2017
- The Surge launch trailer shows what happens when good robots go bad - PCGamesN - May 13th, 2017
- Armed conflicts: Nigeria to implement ECOWAS trans-human movement - The Nation Newspaper - May 11th, 2017
- New Rapid 2D Blood-Soaked Shooter Butcher Receives Launch ... - Gameranx (blog) - May 11th, 2017
- Butcher Review If Murder Is Your Thing, Butcher Is Your Thing - COGconnected (press release) - May 9th, 2017
- Book review: Author delves into transhumanist movement in 'To Be a Machine' - SCNow - May 7th, 2017
- 'Resident Evil: Code Veronica X', 'Butcher' Hit PS4 This Week! - Bloody Disgusting - May 7th, 2017
- Transhumanism and cheap laughs: podcasts of the week - The Guardian - May 6th, 2017
- From a 16th-Century Book to a Robot-Assisted Performance, Artists Explore the Legend of the Golem - Hyperallergic - May 6th, 2017
- The Techno-Libertarians Praying for Dystopia - Yahoo Tech - May 2nd, 2017
- BUTCHER, a 2D tribute to the Doom series from the makers of Soldat, hits PS4 and Xbox One in May 2017! - Develop - April 28th, 2017
- Belladonna Productions, ZDF Enterprises Team For 'Genesis' | Variety - Variety - April 23rd, 2017
- Immortal Cyborgs: Is This Humanity's Future? - theTrumpet.com - April 21st, 2017
- God in the machine: my strange journey into transhumanism - The Guardian - April 19th, 2017
- Book review: Author delves into transhumanist movement in 'To Be a Machine' - Fredericksburg.com - April 17th, 2017
- Crunchyroll - New "ID-0" Trailer Introduces the Transhuman I ... - Crunchyroll News - April 13th, 2017
- The Disrupted Generation - h+ Magazine - April 12th, 2017
- Home - Believer - April 7th, 2017
- Rubio Announces 5-EP Series With Two Bone-Chilling New Tracks - Remezcla (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Afrofuturism Tries to Find its Footing in Virtual Reality - The Chicago Maroon - April 7th, 2017
- Anarki is a Transhuman Punk in the latest Quake Champions trailer - Warp Zoned - April 2nd, 2017
- BUTCHER, a rapid skill-based carnage from the makers of Soldat, is coming to PS4 and Xbox One - Develop - March 23rd, 2017
- Immigration launches new regulations to check terrorism, herders/farmers clashes - Daily Trust - March 21st, 2017
- Thinking Machines, book review: AI, past, present and future - ZDNet - March 21st, 2017
- South Dakota Law Protects Adoption Agencies From LGBT Parenting - Church Militant - March 17th, 2017
- Beaming in from SXSW - Cosmos - March 17th, 2017
- A Mutant Holocaust In 'Logan' - WAMC - March 17th, 2017
- Man merges with machine - SunLive (blog) - March 10th, 2017
- If you cry at work, pretend it's because you're very passionate about ... - Boing Boing - March 10th, 2017
- Could This Transhumanist Be the next Governor of California? - Big Think - March 8th, 2017
- Zoltan Istvan on transhumanism, politics and why the human body ... - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- In Conversation With: Priyanka Lama at London Fashion Week - VERVE - February 20th, 2017
- Technology for the body on the road to cyborgs? - WAtoday - February 19th, 2017
- Welcome to the era of transhumanism - New Atlas - February 17th, 2017
- It's Already Too Late to Stop the Singularity - Big Think - February 12th, 2017
- Transhuman: A New Documentary on People Who Want to Live Forever - The Libertarian Republic - February 6th, 2017
- A Pulse on Fashion - NC State News - February 6th, 2017
- Westworld: A Gnostic Tale of Illuminati Luciferianism ... - January 19th, 2017
- Nick Knight - Home - December 7th, 2016