Legendary trance duo Cosmic Gate stopped by to reflect on the past two decades of their career, their remix of Need To Feel Loved, and more!
Since first joining forces two decades ago, Cosmic Gate has become one of the truly beloved duos in the trance scene. While their early breakout hits like Exploration of Space and Fire Wire are seen as some of the genres most iconic tunes and find their way into sets to this day, theyve continued to deliver amazing releases and kept crowds moving at shows around the planet.
Last year was another major one for Cosmic Gate as well. Celebrating their lengthy run with the release of 20 Years Forward Ever Backward Never,the duo reworked some of their own hits while also looking to others in the scene like Andrew Bayer, GRUM, and Estiva. Additionally, they took the stage at festivals including Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, China, and Orlando, Transmission Prague, and ASOT 900 Mexico as well as plenty of club nights all over.
Now, with the new decade kicking into full swing, we caught up with Cosmic Gate to take a look at the past two decades of their career and explore whats to come in the future. Listen to their set from EDC Orlando and read on for the in-depth conversation!
Thank you very much, and thanks for having us here for this interview! About your question, in all honesty, we did not expect anything simply for one reason, we at first did not have a plan to work together, its as easy as that.
It simply just happened, the two of us ending up in a studio together by chance, while actually hanging out on our own without our mutual friends for the very first time. Three or four hours later after some talking music and jamming around, we had this tune ready, forgot about it, it still found the way to an A&R who wanted to release it, and we said Okay, it was a great label and we both individually felt another project so thought, why not, lets do it!
Then, as every baby needs a name, we came up with the name Cosmic Gate for this project. After its release, the single pretty much exploded in Germany and a few other mainly European countries. Still, we did not think much about it, but the next couple of singles were Exploration of Space and Fire Wire. We were requested touring internationally more and more, we slowly started to realize that this whole project eventually might be something bigger and in the end, it changed our lives, but as you see, things were not planned, they simply somehow happened for us
For part two of your question, individually different as we are, we have a very unique understanding and chemistry when it comes to music and even more, for what we want to do as Cosmic Gate. This has lasted for 20 years now and no end to be seen on the horizon, at least from our side.
Thats awesome, glad you liked it so much! Similarly to the answer on your first question, we have to say that we do not live in numbers. Long term goals are very hard to plan and the times we live in are so fast-paced, so we feel it is a good thing to not worry or try to have goals like this that somehow are out of our hands even. We will do the show as long as our fans want it, as long as we feel we want to do it. If its 500 shows, awesome, if its 1000, wow, even better, time will tell and we will be fine no matter what!
Oh we feel he is absolutely right. For us, It was always about the future anyways, looking back was never something that appealed as too interesting to us. Thats why we do not play pure Classic parties, for example. Our sets always have a certain reminiscing part in it with playing some of our earlier works anyways, we feel its more important to give the crowd something new and modern on top.
Art, and especially music, always has to develop. We have a kind of responsibility to introduce new music to the crowd, even more in times of EDM and short-term attention span crowds resulting out of this movement.
We wouldnt call it a creative dilemma, but indeed such an album needs some pre-thinking and using A&R work, which we do in-house all by ourselves, including our management. We select the colleagues that we feel could do a great job on a certain track.
Of course, there were songs we wanted to try our own luck on remixing, which sometimes turns out great, while other times we try, and things lets say do not work out to our satisfaction. This is natural in a creative process though, and then we simply forget the song and leave it unreleased somewhere on our hard drive.
Overall we have been more than happy with the album though, we feel our colleagues have been doing amazing work remixing our originals. Our updated versions and remixed songs were fortunately received very positively as well.
We at first produced our rework of Need To Feel Loved for our DJ sets. When the reactions on it were so good, we did not mind that there were other remixes during the years, as our mix was different from the others, fitting our personal sets so well, and simply reflecting our style.
It was important to us to be respectful to the original, which was a big influential tune for us. Need To Feel Loved is one of the best vocal progressive tunes ever written, it touches us right by the core as only some tunes do, and thats why in the end we decided to release it.
Well, in all honesty, we somehow feel to create our present-day reality individually on our own since we basically started, we have our own way of doing things, our very own sound. What we mean, speaking of the present, we sure do not sound like the big 138 beats or psytrance movement producers, nor like the huge and influential Anjunabeats label style, nor like the harder edge tech-trance guys. We have our very own individual style, sound, and a scene getting smaller or bigger, actually does not change what we will do being in the studio
This is really hard to say. We are sure that trance will stay relevant for what it is, music thats not for everyone but for a special crowd of musically open-minded people. If it will go a bit more mainstream as it did end of the 90s well just have to see. Things often go in circles, maybe this counts for Trance as well.
Its maybe less about individual tracks we want to point out here, but more the passion for good club music that keeps us going. Besides Trance, Techno, and Progressive turned big and always been a big influence for us, and this passion is what drives us, also in the next decade coming.
True that. Our life is totally dominated by the job and the lifestyle it brings, lack of sleep and jet lag are a bitch. So we have known for many years that its important to have a good balance of mental, but also physical health, as the one supports the other and vice versa. This means as much as its possible on the road we try to eat healthy and do some sports. We plan off weekends/vacation a few times a year, which is important.
Besides that, activity total out of the music scene is important. Just doing normal things, ride a bike, hit the sauna, things like that hopefully clear the head. Furthermore, its important to not let things like social media crawl in your head and family and friends are an important balance to have and help hopefully. All of this and more is how we try to handle things for ourselves, its not always easy to do and find the time, but taking care of ourselves is imperative as we are in it for the long run.
Weve been celebrating NYE basically all around the globe in the last 20 years. Los Angeles, Sydney, or a big rave in Zurich to welcome the year 2000, there are so many good memories, hard to just share one. Lets say to having seen fireworks on all continents sure is very unique and a huge perk of the job.
About the new years resolutions, basically what we said in the question before. Some more sports certainly would be a good thing and leaving the phone untouched for a full dinner more often would be a good thing too. Lets see if we make it work
See the rest here:
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 survivor and DJ John Acquaviva joins other London DJs at benefit for mental health - St. Thomas Times-Journal - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Murder House Flip: The Quibi series' showrunner on why he wanted to flip murder houses. - Slate - April 7th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020
- Manju Warrier joining Padavettu to Trance release, here are the weekly highlights of Mollywood - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Mike Zaloxx explores the realm of trance with new banger 'Saving Night' - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Best EDM Nightclubs Where You Can Rave in Chicago - UrbanMatter - February 27th, 2020
- Leander Paes reminisces about being in the zone that night in Atlanta - Olympic Channel - February 27th, 2020
- Mickey Hart's Ghosts of Congo Square - Relix - February 27th, 2020
- Armin van Buuren announces all ages 'This is Blah Blah Blah' show - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Paul van Dyk and Dermot Kennedy lead strong live music weekend at The Ritz in Ybor City - Creative Loafing Tampa - February 27th, 2020
- Trance (2020 film) - Wikipedia - February 15th, 2020
- Bryan Kearney Holds No Restraints With His Varied Trance Projects [Interview] - EDM.com - February 15th, 2020
- Paul Van Dyk's 'Duality' Is a Thumping Trance Mood Made For the Club: Exclusive - Billboard - February 15th, 2020
- Fahadh, Nazriya open up about acting together before and after marriage - Onmanorama - February 15th, 2020
- This tactical RPG mixes real-time combat and rewinding to make you a time traveling mage - PC Gamer - February 15th, 2020
- South Movies Releasing This Friday: Vijay Deverakonda's World Famous Lover to Fahadh Faasil's Trance - PINKVILLA - February 15th, 2020
- Trance: Explore Trance Music at Beatport - January 18th, 2020
- FahadhNazriya starrer Trance to hit theatres on Feb 14 - Mathrubhumi English - January 18th, 2020
- This 1975 "Sweet Dreams" of Emmylou Harris Will Surely Put You in A Trance - Country Thang Daily - January 18th, 2020
- The science of hypnosis: What is it and how does it work? - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Review: KAS:ST - Hold Me To The Light (Tale Of Us Remix) - Resident Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- Song Lyrics of 'Black Swan' by BTS - Glamsham - January 18th, 2020
- AGF crowns top green events of 2019 - IQ Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Out In the Reeds With Beth Custer - East Bay Express - January 12th, 2020
- Whethan Returns with New Single "Stay Forever" and Fantasy Tour - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Eyes Everywhere Gets Us Ready for the Club with 'Coupla Blues' [Exclusive Premiere] - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup | MOOSE GAZETTE - Moose Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- Tame Impala Try To Save You From Sinking Into The Past On Lost In Yesterday - MTV.com - January 12th, 2020
- BWW Review: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH at Portland Center Stage - Broadway World - January 12th, 2020
- The resurgence of Trance Music - Dispatch Weekly - December 29th, 2019
- 9 Dance Music Concerts For Celebrating New Years Eve In New York City - Forbes - December 29th, 2019
- Above & Beyond's Anjunadeep wraps up the decade with 'Best of 2019' mix - We Rave You - December 29th, 2019
- Gigs To Go To This Weekend - Pune Mirror - December 29th, 2019
- Irish band among NPRs top 25 albums of 2019 - IrishCentral - December 29th, 2019
- What's happening this weekend in Lincoln - 1011now - December 29th, 2019
- The Best Trance Of 2019 - A Year In Review - EDM Sauce - December 18th, 2019
- The Space Brothers Discuss The Past, Present, and Future of Trance - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Johan Gielen Talks Trance History and Gives Insight on Forthcoming Album - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Menno de Jong to Hang Up the Headphones After 20 Years - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Kevin & Perry's 20th Anniversary Tribute Will Take Place At Amnesia - Broadway World - December 18th, 2019
- Year By Year: Five Essential Albums of 1994 - JAZZIZ Magazine - December 18th, 2019
- When is 'Riverdale' coming back after the midseason's daunting cliffhanger? - MEAWW - December 18th, 2019