Were keeping track of the latest news regarding the coronavirus in South Florida and around the state.
Check back for updates on COVID-19 throughout the day.
Post-coronavirus future in Florida is uncertain. Be flexible, futurist Amy Webb says
3 p.m.: With Florida schools reopening in the fall, youth sports and summer camps getting the OK to resume activity and local governments tip-toeing toward a sense of renewed normalcy, many Floridians ask: what should we expect as we look toward a post-pandemic world?
According to noted futurist Amy Webb, we should not only expect more uncertainty, but lean into it.
We expect today will be similar to tomorrow but amplified, she said during a Miami Herald subscriber-only discussion about the future of Florida after COVID-19. Theres a reluctance to see a world in which all decisions are certain.
Webb is a quantitative futurist and a professor of strategic foresight at the NYU Stern School of Business and Founder of the Future Today Institute. She is also the author of The Signals Are Talking: Why Todays Fringe Is Tomorrows Mainstream, which explains how to forecast emerging technology.
Read the full article here.
Cuba announces reopening plan citing fewer cases of COVID-19. Airports to remain closed
1:25 p.m.: Airports will remain closed during the first phase of a reopening plan presented by Cuban government officials. Tourists will be first allowed to book hotels in the Cuban keys, with no nationals on site.
As of Thursday, health authorities reported 2,219 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 84 deaths. No deaths were reported for several days, but the virus seems to be lingering in Havana, where more than 150 people got infected in several local outbreaks.
Read the .
Florida reports record high 1,902 new coronavirus cases, one day after previous record
12:25 p.m.: Floridas Department of Health on Friday morning confirmed a new daily record high of 1,902 additional cases of COVID-19 surpassing the previous high of confirmed cases by 204, which was reported just a day earlier.
That put the states total number of confirmed cases at 70,971 since the pandemic began in March.
Twenty-nine deaths were also announced, raising the statewide death toll to 2,877.
Read the .
Hard Rock Stadiums COVID-19 testing site is closing early for maintenance, officials say
11:25 a.m.: Hard Rock Stadiums free COVID-19 drive-thru testing site in Miami Gardens will be closing early Friday for maintenance, officials say.
The drive-thru site offers free COVID-19 testing to anyone older than 18, regardless of symptoms and also offers free antibody testing to anyone older than 18.
Officials say the test site will be closing at 1 p.m. Friday for maintenance but wont be closed for long.
Read the .
Republican convention COVID-19 precautions yet to be decided, Jacksonville mayor says
10:55 a.m.: Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry discussed details of the citys plan to host President Donald Trumps nomination acceptance speech hours after the Republican National Committee announced it was moving the event from Charlotte to Florida. Precautions to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus in Jacksonville during the festivities will be in place this August, but its not yet decided what that will require, the mayor said Friday morning.
Read the .
South Florida casinos, arcades, museums begin reopening but with new COVID-19 rules
10:40 a.m.: A new wave of businesses are reopening or soon will in South Florida as governments relax COVID-19 restrictions, including some casinos like Magic City, museums like Artechouse Miami, bowling alleys and arcades in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
Read the .
COVID-19 numbers trending up since reopening
9 a.m.: Known Florida COVID-19 cases are increasing, data shows. Positive test results as a percentage have been rising as parts of the state enter a second phase of reopening and as many people attend protests without wearing masks or practicing social distancing. The numbers are a troubling indicator that the disease could be spreading more quickly.
CATCH UP TO START THE DAY
9 a.m.: Here are the coronavirus headlines to catch you up on whats happening around South Florida and the state as Friday begins:
? Floridians flattened the COVID curve. Then, amid upbeat talk, the numbers began to rise.
? The Florida COVID-19 data said one thing while Gov. DeSantis sometimes said another.
? 1,698 coronavirus cases, highest reported in a single day, bring Florida total to 69,069.
2020 Miami Herald
Visit Miami Herald at http://www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020
- Working from home is missing something that only offices and cities can provide - MarketWatch - June 24th, 2020
- Futurist site: Flamingo Land thanked for 'sticking with us'; remarketing the site 'would not be appropriate' says council's deputy leader - The... - June 20th, 2020
- How a global pandemic is changing the world: Part 1 - SmartBrief - June 20th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 13th, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim the Universe Is Actually Flat - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Collapsed Star Proves Another of Einstein's Theories - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Justice League: Who Is the DC Universe's Tony Stark? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist's Advice on Navigating through the Technology Valley of Death - CEOWORLD magazine - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist Explains What Emerging Jobs Will Be Necessary Post-Virus - Hit 107 - June 6th, 2020
- Experts: Protests Unlikely to Cause Huge Wave of COVID Cases - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- After Explosion, SpaceX Still Hoping to Launch Starship This Year - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- NASA InSight Lander Finally Manages to Bury Its Probe Into Mars - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Evidence Suggests That the Entire Early Universe Was Rotating - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Absolutely Roasted the Russian Space Program - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Study: More Than 500 Vertebrates Poised To Go Extinct - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Allison Fine Featured in The New Yorker - Philanthropy Women - June 6th, 2020
- MSN Fires Journalists, Replaces Them With AI - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouver Island's long road to recovery will have a few bumps - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Changing face of Liverpool city centre and the shops we've lost along the way - Liverpool Echo - June 1st, 2020
- Folk's Jason Wilber Examines the World Through a Futurist Lens in 'Time Traveler' (album stream) - PopMatters - May 29th, 2020
- The Conversation: Beware of Unemployment Insurance Scammers - Hawaiipublicradio - May 29th, 2020
- The long road to recovery will have a few bumps Victoria News - Victoria News - May 29th, 2020
- The stakes have never been higher as America reopens. What can a post-coronavirus world look like? - USA TODAY - May 29th, 2020
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - April 30th, 2020