As the coronavirus pandemic continues to evolve, infecting millions worldwide, a team of scientists has discovered that Covid-19 could have spread among humans for years or even decades before now.
According to findings published in the journal Nature Medicine, the virus could have possibly been transmitted from animals to humans much before it was first detected in Wuhan province of China. In fact, there are speculations that it could have been as long as a decade.
The study, which was conducted by an international team of scientists from Australia, Britain and the US, was released on March 17 in the scientific journal.
Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades. The virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human to human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease, Dr Francis Collins, director of the US National Institute of Health, said in an article published on the institutes website.
The study was conducted by Kristian Andersen from the Scripps Research Institute in California, Andrew Rambaut from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, Ian Lipkin from Columbia University in New York, Edward Holmes from the University of Sydney, and Robert Garry from Tulane University in New Orleans.
By comparing the available genome sequence data for known coronavirus strains, we can firmly determine that SARS-CoV-2 originated through natural processes, said the lead researcher Kristian Andersen.
Besides them, Italian professor Giuseppe Remuzzi had pointed at strange pneumonias in Italy since last November. This could mean that Covid-19, which proved to be equally fatal in the country, could have reached Europe before anyone knew about it.
Prof Remuzzi, director of the Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research in Milan, said he would not be surprised if some asymptomatic carriers had travelled around China or even abroad before December last year.
The unusual cases of pneumonia in November and December could mean that virus was already spreading in Lombardy, Italys worst-hit region, before Wuhan made headlines, he said.
Speaking on similar lines, a Chinese doctor working, who is treating Covid-19 patients in Beijing, said numerous cases of mysterious pneumonia outbreaks had been reported by health professionals across several countries last year.
There will be a day when the whole thing comes to light, the doctor said, preferring anonymity.
Doctors in Wuhan also noticed a surge in the number of pneumonia cases in December. Tests for flu and other pathogens returned negative.
Shortly after the epidemic erupted, Chinese scientists sequenced the genome of SARS-CoV-2 and made the data available to researchers worldwide. The resulting genomic sequence data showed that Chinese authorities had promptly detected the epidemic and that the number of cases were rising because of human to human transmission after a single introduction into the human population.
While an unknown strain was isolated, a team from the Wuhan Institute of Virology led by Shi Zhengli traced its origin to a bat virus found in a mountain cave close to the China-Myanmar border.
The virus has now infected every corner of the globe.
Go here to read the rest:
- The Evolutionary Origins of Friendship - Scientific American - January 21st, 2021
- The evolution of the shopping mall: What consumers want - Retail Dive - January 21st, 2021
- Medieval To Metal: The Art & Evolution of the GUITAR heading to Buffalo Science Museum in February - WGRZ.com - January 21st, 2021
- Cyber-evolution: How computer science is harnessing the power of Darwinian transformation - ASU Now - January 21st, 2021
- The Next Evolution Of Digital Mental Health Support - Forbes - January 21st, 2021
- The evolution of spycraft - The Hindu - January 21st, 2021
- The evolution of EverGrain | 2021-01-20 - Food Business News - January 21st, 2021
- Scientists Unravel Missing Clues on Glowing Beetles' Evolutionary History Using 100 Million-Year-Old Amber | The Weather Channel - Articles from The... - January 21st, 2021
- Coronavirus variants: how did they evolve and what do they mean? - The Conversation UK - January 21st, 2021
- Global Orthopaedic Devices Markets, 2020-2027: Evolution in the Robotic-Assisted Surgery With Smaller Incision and Post-Operative Care Reduction -... - January 21st, 2021
- Comprod Inc. announces a milestone in their evolution as a result of the acquisition by Kairos Capital Management - PRNewswire - January 21st, 2021
- Joe Bidens long political evolution leads to his biggest test - The Denver Post - January 21st, 2021
- Parasites: what causes some species to evolve to exploit others - The Conversation UK - January 21st, 2021
- How supercomputers found their industry mojo - the evolution of high performance computing - Diginomica - January 21st, 2021
- The Logo Evolution of Heineken Over Time [Infographic] - VinePair - January 21st, 2021
- Wind Creates Evolutionary Changes In Flying Insects, Depriving Them Of Their Wings - Forbes - January 21st, 2021
- 'Promising Young Woman' and the Evolution of Rape-Revenge Films - Bloody Disgusting - January 21st, 2021
- The Evolution of Roger Federer's Backhand - Perfect Tennis - January 21st, 2021
- Pep Guardiola: An evolution through Barcelona, Bayern and City - The Athletic - January 21st, 2021
- Learning the language of viral evolution and escape - Science Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Coronavirus - The Atlantic - January 15th, 2021
- Evolution of the digital twin - International Water Power - International Water Power and Dam Construction - January 15th, 2021
- Vapor Intrusion Mitigation Part 1: Reimagining the Next Evolution in Concrete Vapor Protection - ForConstructionPros.com - January 15th, 2021
- Sean Payton describes the evolution of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season - ArkLaTexHomepage - January 15th, 2021
- An Exceptional Year Of Organizational Evolution For T&T Group: An Update from its HR and Administration Head - PR Newswire India - January 15th, 2021
- The evolution of the phone call in 2021 - Finextra - January 15th, 2021
- Seam-shifted wake and the evolution of pitch design - Bless You Boys - January 15th, 2021
- New 'Columbus strain' of coronavirus evolved in the US - Livescience.com - January 15th, 2021
- Study On Rabbit Brain Reveals Genetic Markers Of Domestication - Texas A&M University Today - January 15th, 2021
- QTech Games' premier platform takes another giant step with Evolution - European Gaming Industry News - January 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Go Hippopotas and Hippowdon Evolution Guide - SuperParent - January 15th, 2021
- Shaun Alexander speaks about the evolution of the NFL and his life since retirement - Yahoo News - January 15th, 2021
- Scientists May Have Found The Evolutionary Roots Of Human Vision - Forbes - January 15th, 2021
- MCU Phase 4 Has The Next Evolution Of Civil War's Sokovia Accords - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- As Samsung launches Galaxy S21 today, heres a look at the evolution of the Galaxy S series - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- Evolution Of The Physician-Patient Relationship In The Era Of Telemedicine - Coronavirus (COVID-19) - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - January 15th, 2021
- The Evolution Of Assets - Technology - Gibraltar - Mondaq News Alerts - January 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Go Roserade best moves: Check out the Roserade evolution and its best moves - Republic World - January 15th, 2021
- Steve Sarkisian describes his offensive evolution and RPO-based attack - Burnt Orange Nation - January 15th, 2021
- From evolution to revolution: Investment trust sector urged to grow in order to 'stay relevant' - Investment Week - January 15th, 2021
- Watch this 'nonswimming' bird swim like a champ, giving clues to evolution of penguins - Science Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- 5G in 2021: Expectations and Evolution - RCR Wireless News - January 5th, 2021
- Evolution of fold switching in a metamorphic protein - Science Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Big Data Analytics, AI, and Collaborative Combat Driving the Evolution of Land-based EO/IR CONOPS, 2019-2029 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - January 5th, 2021
- Bridge Over Troubled Water: The Evolution of Transitional Lending - Commercial Observer - January 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of the FIN7 JSSLoader - Security Boulevard - January 5th, 2021
- The Evolution of Advertising Over the Past Four Decades [Infographic] - Social Media Today - January 5th, 2021
- HMP Global Announces Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference Will Convene Live and In-Person in December 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 5th, 2021
- The Story of Evolution in 25 Discoveries Review: The Branching Tree of Life - The Wall Street Journal - January 5th, 2021
- The evolution of a ballpark - masslive.com - MassLive.com - January 5th, 2021
- The Mediterranean Diet Is Once Again On TopHeres How Dietitians Hope It Evolves - Well+Good - January 5th, 2021
- More on the evolution of words - Huntsville Item - January 5th, 2021
- Paleontologist Buries Another Proposed Cambrian Precursor - Discovery Institute - January 5th, 2021
- Marcus Smart(er): the evolution of the Celtics heart and soul - Celtics Blog - January 5th, 2021
- 13 2020 discoveries that have transformed what we know about human evolution - Genetic Literacy Project - January 5th, 2021
- Lucyd Introduces Lyte Bluetooth E-glasses, an Evolved Wearable Emerging from the 700 Year History of Eyewear. - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Jurassic World Evolution is free on the Epic Store right now - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 5th, 2021
- Virtual program on the Evolution of Exeter Hospital - Seacoastonline.com - January 5th, 2021
- Rising in the East: The Evolution of the Islamic State in the Philippines - HSToday - January 5th, 2021
- The reality of AI in healthcare: promises, roles, evolution, and more - YourStory - January 5th, 2021
- Go Language at 13 Years: Ecosystem, Evolution, and Future in Conversation with Steve Francia - InfoQ.com - January 5th, 2021
- Scientists describe 'crazy beast' that lived among dinosaurs and seems to break rules of evolution - Sky News - December 19th, 2020
- A New Clue to the Timeline of Human Evolution - SciTechDaily - December 19th, 2020
- Excerpt: An Obstacle to Darwinian Evolution - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Professional golf was at the mercy of evolution in 2020 - GolfDigest.com - December 19th, 2020
- Bridges: The evolution of Christmas as festival and holiday - Waxahachie Daily Light - December 19th, 2020
- The renaissance and evolution of indie games - VentureBeat - December 19th, 2020
- More than 50 years into his career, Glynn Turman appreciates evolution of film, TV - Akron Beacon Journal - December 19th, 2020
- The evolution of fairness will drive the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, for better or worse - The Conversation CA - December 19th, 2020
- Global warming is moving too fast for evolution to keep up, scientists warn - Yahoo Sports - December 19th, 2020
- The fight for social justice: the evolution of BLM - Iowa State Daily - December 19th, 2020
- The Evolution of Rosala's Showstopping Style - Vogue.com - December 19th, 2020
- Pokmon GO - How to Evolve Galarian Mr. Mime into Mr. Rime - Attack of the Fanboy - December 19th, 2020
- The origins and evolution of Christmas carols - Hometown Focus - December 19th, 2020
- Telehealth's evolution in 2020 will continue in the new year with more streamlined technologies - Healthcare Finance News - December 19th, 2020
- Philip Barker: Breaking the latest chapter in the evolution of the Olympic sports programme - Insidethegames.biz - December 19th, 2020
- Nike's New Air VaporMax EVO Is a Testament to The "Evolution of Icons" - HYPEBEAST - December 19th, 2020
- The Myth of Behe Refuted - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Pioneer-360 on Necessary Pivots and Business Model Evolution - Channel Futures - December 19th, 2020
- The Evolution of Sony's PlayStation Through The Years - The Koalition - December 19th, 2020