If you were lucky enough to take a tropical beach vacation more than 30 years ago, you were likely amazed at the underwater world you could explore with a snorkel and mask. Since then, underwater enthusiasts often find reefs are a disappointment, with bleached, broken, and dead corals more prominent than live colorful ones.
Coral restoration projects are making a difference. Theyre not just for guests of the hotels that sponsor them but make a difference for the entire planet. As you plan a post-pandemic beach vacation, lend the oceans a helping hand by choosing a resort that participates in coral reef restoration programs.
Dead coral reefs in shallow water which were killed during the mass coral bleaching event, related ... [+] to climate change. Bleaching of coral colonies is caused by warming of sea temperature and most likely combined with other environmental stresses causing coral to expel symbiotic zooxanthellae algae, which could even lead to coral death.
Due mainly to climate change, but also to problems like over-fishing and even tourists wearing the wrong sunscreen, the worlds corals are dying at an accelerated rate. Experts say that in the last 30 years, 50 percent of the worlds coral reefs died. They predict that 90 percent of corals will die within the century without interventions, chiefly reducing the temperature of the oceans by controlling global warming.
Snorkelers and scuba divers have a vested interest in the health of the worlds coral reefs. But so does every inhabitant of the planet, regardless of where they live or what they like to do on their vacations.
Healthy coral reefs are essential to humans, both directly and indirectly. In her TEDTalk, biologist and TED senior fellow Kristen Marhaver describes how corals are security guards, chemists, and even artists.
Ocean waves and coral reef from above, Grand Baie (Pereybere), Indian Ocean, north-west coast, ... [+] Mauritius
Corals protect coastlines from erosion and storm damage; keep the oceans carbon dioxide levels in check; filter ocean water making it clearer and cleaner; are a source of key components of new antibiotics and cancer drugs; and are nurseries for many of the fish humans eat and for the food chain that sustains them. And, of course, corals are a source of beauty and a key contributor to the tourism industry. In the U.S. alone, its estimated that coral reefs are worth $3.4 billion each year and that they prevent $94 billion in damages from flooding annually.
Coral restoration, Viking Bay, Phi Phi Le, Krabi province, Thailand. Sony mirrorless camera in ... [+] underwater housing, Iron Z330 strobe lighting.
Slowing climate change and reducing global warming is essential for protecting the planets coral reefs. Coral restoration projectsmany sponsored and supported by beach hotelshelp too.
Basically, corals are grown in nurseries and then transplanted onto reefs at risk. Most corals grow very slowly and scientists are doing much work to determine the ideal conditions to encourage coral reproduction and development to get the worlds reefs back to health.
Coral restoration at Kokomo Private Island
When you choose to stay at a resort that supports coral restoration, you help revitalize reefs. Some resorts welcome you to see the coral nurseries with your own eyes and even help out.
At Kokomo Private Island Fiji, marine biologist Cliona OFlaherty established a coral restoration project in 2018 (heres more on OFlaherty and her work). So far, 1,200 corals have been planted in the nursery and 200 transplanted back onto the reef. Stay at one of Kokomos 21 villas or five residences and you can swim over the coral garden and get hands-on experience helping with coral selection, fragmentation, and transplantation. Divers can also visit nearby Walker Restoration Reef, the reef Kokomo adopted under PADIs Project Aware sustainability program.
Kokomo Private Island Fiji's healthy house reef.
Boutique resort Harbour Village Beach Clubon the island of Bonaire in the Dutch Caribbeanalso has a coral restoration program, via the Harbour Village Reef Foundation. Divers can help maintain the underwater coral nursery and get their PADI Reef Renewal Certification. Bonaire created the Caribbeans first protected marine park and, according to the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Bonaire has the most pristine reef environment in the Caribbean. This is thanks to its location outside the hurricane zone and conservation actions by the government and resorts like Harbour Village Beach Club.
Baa Atoll, Indian Ocean, Maldives (Photo by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images)
In the Maldives, the health of the reefs surrounding the countrys 1,192 islands is essential. Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhuone of the Coco Collection resorts in the protected Baa Atollwas one of the first Maldives resorts to have a resident marine biologist. Coral replanting as well as initiatives to protect manta rays, turtles, and sharks are key elements of Coco Collections sustainability work. Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is another great choice for travelers wanting to help coral reefs while they take a vacation.
The Mnemba atoll on the east coast of Zanzibar
You can even support coral reefs when you take a safari by relaxing on the island of Zanzibar before or after seeing Africas land-based wildlife. Zanzibar is well known for its spectacular scuba diving and snorkeling sites, in its warm waters with underwater visibility often exceeding 100 feet. You can snorkel and dive year round (and even watch the gentle giants of the sea, whale sharks, eat tiny plankton off protected Mnemba Atoll from September to December).
Coral Reef Care began its coral restoration work in Zanzibar in 2012 (theyll happily accept your donations too). Alluring Africas The Zanzibar Collection and Zuri Zanzibar are two Zanzibar hotels that support coral restoration.
Wherever you take your ocean-side vacation, choose hotels that support coral restoration projects.
See more here:
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Here's How To Plan The Maldives Trip Of Your Post-Quarantine Dreams - Essence - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- MSC Grandiosa to Resume Cruising Southern Europe on January 24 - Cruise Radio - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Opinion: Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but that isnt happening - The Patriot Ledger - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- A Bostonian's Guide toHopefullyTraveling This Year - Boston magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020