NASSAU, BAHAMAS Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) Deputy Leader and Shadow Finance Minister Chester Cooper last night called on the government to update the public on the status of the sale of the Grand Lucayan, as well as the latest terms of the sale with Royal Caribbean and ITM.
Coopers said: The Progressive Liberal Party insists that the government, firstly, update the public on the status of the sale. We insist that the latest terms of the sale of the Grand Lucayan to Royal Caribbean and ITM be immediately made public.
We demand that this administration be transparent and release the details of the reopening strategy for the hotel, which is supposed to happen in less than two weeks, inclusive of the strategy for airlift, staffing and details of any advanced bookings.
We insist that this administration make clear the dollar amount of this investment, which we warned against, made on the backs of Bahamian taxpayers.
We believe that it is now well in excess of $150 million.
Speaking to the recent revelation that negotiations regarding sale of the Grand Lucayan property have been taken over by Cabinet, Cooper added: One has to wonder if this administration can get anything done along the timeline promised and without mass confusion.
[Michael] Scott has been at the forefront of the sale of the hotel since the government bought the property against all good sense and fiscal prudence. We said then that it was an egregiously bad deal.
If Scott, who, last I checked, was chairman of Lucayan Renewal Holdings and the Hotel Corporation of The Bahamas, is not negotiating the sale, then who on earth is? At last report, Scott was unhappy with the terms of the deal being considered by the government.
Cooper argued that negotiations over the long-delayed sale being taken over by Cabinet therefore raises questions on the quality of the terms the government is prepared to accept.
He suggested that the governments apparent desperation to offload the property and try to reopen it no matter the losses incurred smacks of an election ploy lacking the fiduciary duty of care the Bahamian people demand.
The government must come clean about this property and it must make it make sense, said Cooper.
Last November,Scott in an interview with Eyewitness Newsindicated there were reservations surrounding the restructured proposal for the sale of the Grand Lucayan resort and whether the deal still represents the best interest of the Bahamian people.
Scott said an independent forensic audit was being performed to assess the deal and that he would not sign off on an unfavorable deal, adding that he was prepared to explore other options for the sale of the resort.
The government has signed a heads of agreement with Bahamas Port Investments Limited, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean International and ITM Group, for the sale of the resort and development of a cruise port at Freeport Harbour that was expected to accommodate three ships in phase one, and up to seven ships in subsequent phases. The plan also included a casino, water park, restaurant and retail center.
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has delayed the sale, according to the government, which has said the developers remain committed to the deal.
- What's New In The Bahamas In May - PRNewswire - May 7th, 2021
- The Bahamas Celebrates Travel Agents With Virtual Party In 'Da Backyard' - PRNewswire - May 7th, 2021
- From The Bahamas to Grenada, Caribbean Resorts for Remote Work - Caribbean Journal - May 7th, 2021
- A Bahamas family is offering a dream $120k caretaker job for their homes with insane perks - Republic TV - May 7th, 2021
- This Family Will Pay You Rs 1 Crore to Look After Their Estate in the Bahamas - News18 - May 7th, 2021
- THE SKIES ARE OURS: Bahamas assumes historical management of sovereign airspace - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Rich family seeks couple to work as live-in cleaners in the Bahamas for 90,000 salary - The Independent - May 7th, 2021
- Millions allocated for Bahamas energy transformation Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Vaccinated Americans Can Start Flying To The Bahamas Without A Negative COVID Test - Patch.com - May 7th, 2021
- With vaccinations on board, CBF disaster relief looks toward unfinished work in Bahamas - Baptist News Global - May 7th, 2021
- What's new in the Islands of The Bahamas in May - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - May 7th, 2021
- Eight migrants charged with attempting to illegally enter US from Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Family looking for couple to work on private island in the Bahamas - Metro.co.uk - May 7th, 2021
- Another fantasy island in The Bahamas hits the market, along with Exuma's getaway home - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Caribbean Photo of the Week: Eleuthera, The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - May 7th, 2021
- The Islands of The Bahamas announces updated travel and entry protocols - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - May 7th, 2021
- TAKE ACTION OR PAY: Public health measures must be followed and enforced or cases will continue to rise, health official warns - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Carolyn Cooper | Yvonne Skeffrey a Jamaican at home in the Bahamas - Jamaica Gleaner - May 7th, 2021
- US to export 10 percent of vaccine supplies to other countries by July 4 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- TEETERING: More cases in April than first three months of 2021 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- WET WEATHER INCOMING: Another active hurricane season projected for 2021 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- MORE AND MORE: Nearly 200000 registered to vote; more than 500 added in the last month - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- SUCCESS EXPECTED: Sandals has no doubt NP resort will reopen fully booked out after $37M renovation - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- PwC in the Caribbean and the PwC Charitable Foundation donate $100K to St Vincent volcano relief efforts - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- SLOW CLIMB: Govt revenue improves in third quarter but still down nearly 30 percent - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- The Bahamas Welcomes Visitors With Even More Ways To Travel This Summer - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- NFL stars converge on the Bahamas to soak up the sun - Page Six - April 23rd, 2021
- No Bahamas team for the World Relays - Bahamas Tribune - April 23rd, 2021
- TURBULENCE: Parts of Bahamas see tornados and waterspouts - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- Bahamas Petroleum to reset and rebrand as Challenger Energy Group - Proactive Investors UK - April 23rd, 2021
- American Airlines announces service expansion to The Bahamas | New York Carib News - NYCaribNews - April 23rd, 2021
- GAINING MOMENTUM: MSC Cruises could be third major cruise line this year to start homeporting in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- The Bahamas International Travel Information - April 21st, 2021
- The Best Bahamas Vacation Packages 2021 - Tripadvisor - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Updates Bahamas Travel Advisory, What's the Impact on Cruises? - Cruise Hive - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Raises Warning, Advises Against Traveling to Bahamas - Cruise Radio - April 21st, 2021
- 'DON'T GO THERE': U.S. puts Bahamas back on top level alert as cases rise - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Why vacationing in the Bahamas now is a dream come true - New York Post - April 21st, 2021
- The Island of Grand Bahama Is Heating Up Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals Planning Renovation at Bahamas All-Inclusive Resort - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Man killed in plane crash off The Bahamas - Nation News - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals celebrates 25 year in the Bahamas with multi-million-dollar renovation - Travelweek - April 21st, 2021
- Bahamas to research mental wellbeing of seafarers ShipInsight - ShipInsight - April 21st, 2021
- Bryan and Sarah Baeumler on reopening their Bahamas resort after the pandemic halted all operations - Post City - April 21st, 2021
- From emergency to recovery: Delivering water, sanitation, and hygiene - Mercy Corps - April 21st, 2021
- IN JEOPARDY: BHTA president warns against apathy and COVID fatigue injuring tourism industry rebound - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Son dead and father in hospital after Bimini crash - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FACE TO FACE: Setting out the path to giving women a fairer deal - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Bimini plane crash leaves son dead and father in hospital - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Three men arrested and charged for illegal landing following viral video showing migrants living in bus - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Vaccinations resume on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FULLY RECOVERED: Commodore King says small function unlikely source of COVID exposure - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Sology Solutions and Open Systems Technologies International (Bahamas) Limited Partner to Drive Technology Innovation and Create Jobs in the Bahamas -... - April 13th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean is working to get more flight options to the Bahamas - Royal Caribbean Blog - April 13th, 2021
- Disney in 75 percent fleet visit promise to The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- The Bahamas sends its condolences after the death of Prince Philip - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- RUM BUSINESS BOOST: Bahamas rum exports to benefit from over $110M in EU-supported trade development for the Caribbean - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- GOALPOST: Bahamas aiming to vaccinate 80 percent of population to achieve herd immunity against COVID - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Central Bank of Bahamas shares updates on Sand dollar CBDC progress - The Paypers - April 13th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: A dear friend of The Bahamas dies - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- ON THE BANDWAGON: More than 10K people in The Bahamas vaccinated against COVID so far - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- KILLINGS ON THE RISE: Murders up 56 percent in Q1 - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- NRA trial opens window on secretive leader's life and work - The Associated Press - April 13th, 2021
- Lewis opens Job Ready Programme in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Brianne: 'Bahamas could win this 4 x 4, we could win' - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- 'WE'RE HUMAN TOO': Shanty town residents hit out at authorities on tactics employed in raid - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- TENTATIVE APPROVAL: Survey shows support for cannabis use for religious purposes, but with restrictions - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- VERY SERIOUS AND TROUBLING MATTER: Officials hone in on trend of marijuana edibles in schools - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Crystal Symphony Will Be the First Ship to Ever Homeport in Antigua & Barbuda - Travel Market Report - April 13th, 2021
- DIANE PHILLIPS: Man's best friend - then it's time we started treating them properly - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Best Cruises You Can Take This Summer - Cruise Fever - April 13th, 2021
- Grandad who started business from nothing has 100m 'could buy island in the Bahamas' - Birmingham Live - April 13th, 2021
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas In April - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2021
- When is the best time to go to The Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - April 6th, 2021
- Embarrassing state report on The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- TRYP Air Charter takes flight to the islands of The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Florida's Senators Continue the Fight to Stop Drilling off the Bahamas - Florida Daily - April 6th, 2021
- Teresa Giudice's Daughters Glowed in Gorgeous Easter Outfits in the Bahamas - Yahoo Entertainment - April 6th, 2021
- STRICTER MEASURES: Travelers from Harbour Island & Eleuthera to rest of Bahamas must have negative RT-PCR test - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- REINFORCEMENTS: COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX Facility touchdown in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021