MOSCOW (Reuters) - A prominent Russian theater director who has lamented what he says is the lack of freedom and growing social conservatism in his country was detained on Tuesday and accused of embezzling state funds.
Russias Investigative Committee said it suspected Kirill Serebrennikov of embezzling at least 68 million rubles ($1.15 million) in state funds earmarked for an art project, it said in a statement.
Serebrennikov, artistic director at Moscows avant-garde Gogol Centre theater, denies wrongdoing. He faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty.
Dmitry Kharitonov, a lawyer for Serebrennikov, said his client was detained in St. Petersburg where he was working on a film about a Soviet rock star.
Serebrennikov, an award-winning director whose father was Jewish, has used his work to criticize the authorities in the past, lashing out at what he sees as the pernicious growing role of the state and church in Russian society.
His detention shocked his supporters and the arts world.
The arrest of the director before a trial is a clearly excessive measure, wrote Alexei Kudrin, a liberal economist and former finance minister, on social media.
In May, investigators searched Serebrennikovs home and office and questioned him as a witness in an embezzlement case.
His lawyer could not immediately say if Serebrennikovs detention was linked to the same case or a different one. The accountant and general director of Serebrennikovs theater have already been accused of stealing state funds.
As The New York Times reported, well-regarded Russian cultural figures spoke out on Serebrennikovs behalf following both the earlier searches and his arrest. When Russian President Vladimir V. Putin gave a state award to the actor Yevgeny V. Mironov in May, Mironov passed him a letter advocating for Serebrennikov. And the literary critic and television host Aleksandr Arkhangelsky posted a Facebook status that, in the Times translation, was damning towards the authorities: Those who do this cover themselves with shame, he wrote.
In July, the Bolshoi Theatre postponed the world premiere of Nureyev, an edgy ballet about the famous Russian dancer which was directed by Serebrennikov.
The TASS news agency reported that Russias minister for culture had a long conversation with the Bolshoi before it announced it was postponing the premiere.
But Vladimir Urin, the theatres director general, said it had been pulled because rehearsals had shown it was not ready. He said it would be staged in May next year instead.
Read the original here:
Concerns About Censorship Soar As Russia Detains Director - Forward
- Study: North Korea, China, and Russia top internet censorship charts - The Next Web - January 18th, 2020
- Aichi Triennale Exhibition Will Be Restaged in Taiwan Following Censorship Controversy - Artforum - January 18th, 2020
- Internet Censorship In Africa Is A Trend In Africa - What To Expect In 2020 - WeeTracker Media - January 18th, 2020
- Israel's 'censor in chief': The activist who manages to silence the left - Haaretz - January 18th, 2020
- Facts and Facebook: It shouldn't censor political ads - The Union Leader - January 18th, 2020
- Berkley Library Cautions against Censorship after God Crossed Out of Mystery Novel Oakland County Times - Oakland County 115 News - January 18th, 2020
- 'Push back against those who abuse the law to silence the media' Index on Censorship - The Shift News - January 18th, 2020
- SPLC Pushes Big Tech Censorship in the Name of Fighting White Supremacy - PJ Media - January 18th, 2020
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown'? - The Daily Dot - January 18th, 2020
- AI Censors and 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Tencent - Motley Fool - December 28th, 2019
- Iran censors internet on the eve of new protests - New York Post - December 28th, 2019
- Dear 2020: Piyush Mishras open letter to the coming year - Hindustan Times - December 28th, 2019
- Sara Lee Responds to SNLs Sexually Charged Sketch, Reverses Instagram Censorship: We Are Taking It in Stride - Sunriseread - December 28th, 2019
- Mr X tries to censor reports of sexual assault allegations - The Times - December 28th, 2019
- YouTube Censoring Crypto-Related Videos Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside Experts You Can Trust - CryptoIQ - December 28th, 2019
- Will new claims of censorship threaten TikToks presence in Europe? - 150sec - December 22nd, 2019
- Jason Derulo's "Cats" Costars Revealed It Wasn't Just His Bulge That Had To Be Removed - BuzzFeed News - December 22nd, 2019
- Heritage Foundation Responds to Tucker Carlson's False Accusations on Big Tech - Heritage.org - December 22nd, 2019
- They want to silence you and mebut we stand up against the censorship - Mondoweiss - December 22nd, 2019
- Eddie Murphy Sneaks a Curse Word Past the Censors on Saturday Night Live - Comicbook.com - December 22nd, 2019
- China censors viral clips of a rare university protest after the academy downgrades 'freedom of thought' - The Telegraph - December 22nd, 2019
- Yuliett Torres Wore A Shorts That She Challenged Censorship - Sunriseread - December 22nd, 2019
- The Statistics of Censorship - Book Riot - December 18th, 2019
- The year art censorship came back in style - Washington Examiner - December 18th, 2019
- The Aichi Triennale Had a Lot of Problems. A New Government Report Reflects on What Went Wrong - artnet News - December 18th, 2019
- Football is sliding into a bubble of self-censorship and even Jurgen Klopp has gone quiet - inews - December 18th, 2019
- There's a new free speech crisis gripping the worldand governments aren't helping - Prospect - December 18th, 2019
- Dems have a plan to fight Trump on climate censorship - Michigan Advance - December 18th, 2019
- On International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers, We Must Look Closely at the Results of FOSTA - EFF - December 18th, 2019
- As Facebook caves to Singapore censorship, the writing is on the wall - The Interpreter - December 3rd, 2019
- WeChat users in the US say the app is censoring their messages about Hong Kong - Business Insider - December 3rd, 2019
- Ohio University refuses to apologize for unconstitutional censorship of innocent students - The College Fix - December 3rd, 2019
- This is why you shouldn't use Apple's highlighter tool to censor sensitive info - The Next Web - December 3rd, 2019
- Meet the artist building a crypto-inspired art museum on the blockchain - The Next Web - December 3rd, 2019
- Zuckerberg on Chinese censorship: Is that the internet we want? - TechCrunch - October 23rd, 2019
- Report On Global Social Media Censorship Shows Russia, India, And Turkey Are Still Leading The Censor Pack - Techdirt - October 23rd, 2019
- Blizzard Gaming Boycott Is The Tip Of The Chinese Censorship Iceberg - The Federalist - October 23rd, 2019
- The night the censors drove old 'Dixie' down - Washington Examiner - October 23rd, 2019
- Seems censorship is in place in Bengal: Governer Jagdeep Dhankhar - Economic Times - October 23rd, 2019
- Netflix Dodges Bid to Halt Release of 'The Laundromat' - Hollywood Reporter - October 23rd, 2019
- China Star Wars censorship: Why the rumors aren't true - Inverse - October 23rd, 2019
- Netflix, Amazon And Other OTT Platforms Face Censorship Threat In India - Inc42 Media - October 23rd, 2019
- Banned Books Week at Harvard Law: How censorship leaves us in the dark - Harvard - Harvard Law School News - October 16th, 2019
- Aichi Triennale Artist Minouk Lim Speaks Out on Art World Censorship and How the Exhibition Could Be 'Reborn' - - ARTnews - October 16th, 2019
- Microsoft Wants to Censor Xbox Live Voice Chat in Real Time - Futurism - October 16th, 2019
- Internet censorship in Sudan: Rethinking laws and tactics that served an authoritarian regime - Global Voices - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is a Weapon for Free Speech in the Face of Government and Corporate Censorship - Bitcoin News - October 16th, 2019
- Houston Rockets-NBA Controversy Over Chinese Censorship Reveals Growing Corporate Trend - The Texan - October 16th, 2019
- Radhika Apte on censorship of web content: We are all so extreme, we are trying to ban everything - The Indian Express - October 16th, 2019
- Blizzard Lowers Penalty on Hong Kong Streamer, Says China Uninvolved in Censorship - ExtremeTech - October 14th, 2019
- Following Censorship Controversy at Aichi Triennale, Artists Discuss Why They Removed Their Workand Then Reinstated It - - ARTnews - October 14th, 2019
- China censors a lot, from Winnie the Pooh to the NBA - CNN - October 14th, 2019
- Lets Not Take Cues From a Country That Bans Winnie the Pooh - The New York Times - October 14th, 2019
- I'm a Blizzard gamer. I am boycotting them over their Hong Kong censorship - The Guardian - October 14th, 2019
- Chinese Rappers Take On the Surveillance State - The Atlantic - October 14th, 2019
- Blizzard Hong Kong controversy: what happened and why it matters - Vox.com - October 14th, 2019
- Here's a list of companies taking the knee to Chinese censorship - TweakTown - October 14th, 2019
- The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of Gods Debuts with Heavy Censorship of Blood and Gore - Bounding Into Comics - October 14th, 2019
- Democrats accuse DeVos of ignoring claims of censorship, civil rights violations at Liberty University - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 14th, 2019
- American businesses shouldn't give in to Chinese censorship - Washington Times - October 14th, 2019
- The Athletic Outrages White Men Everywhere By Censoring Their Opinions On China - Deadspin - October 14th, 2019
- New Xbox message moderation will automatically censor offensive content - MSPoweruser - October 14th, 2019
- Censors Silenced Eric Hedin, but They Couldn't Silence David Gelernter: Here's Why It Matters - Discovery Institute - October 14th, 2019
- Chinese censorship: what is banned? - The Week UK - October 14th, 2019
- Lady Chatterley's censor: Almost 60 years ago, a court case looked to save us from ourselves - The Big Smoke Australia - October 14th, 2019
- 10+ Years of Activists Silenced: Internet Intermediaries' Long History of Censorship - EFF - August 25th, 2017
- Cambridge University Press battles censorship in China - The Economist - August 25th, 2017
- At Beijing book fair, publishers admit self-censorship - Yahoo News - August 25th, 2017
- Delingpole: Thomas Wictor Is the Latest Victim of Google Censorship - Breitbart News - August 25th, 2017
- Tech Companies and Censorship: Where Should We Draw The Line? - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Why India's Battle Against Film Censorship Isn't Over Yet | IndieWire - IndieWire - August 22nd, 2017
- Ban of white nationalist website raising fears of government censorship - Washington Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Measuring the Internet for Freedom - Project Syndicate - August 22nd, 2017
- Grappling Championships Use Bitcoin To Circumvent Censorship ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Tech Censorship of White Supremacists Draws Criticism From Within Industry - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 20th, 2017
- Cambridge University Press censorship 'exposes Xi Jinping's authoritarian shift' - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Alt-Tech Bad Boy Cody Wilson Explains Hatreon, an Alternative to Online Censorship - PJ Media - August 20th, 2017
- More Internet Censorship - National Review - August 18th, 2017
- judge Nap: Censorship Worse Than Hate | The Daily Caller - The Daily Caller - August 18th, 2017
- Keep the Internet's Backbone Free From Censorship - Bloomberg - August 18th, 2017