MOSCOW (Reuters) – A prominent Russian theater director who has lamented what he says is the lack of freedom and growing social conservatism in his country was detained on Tuesday and accused of embezzling state funds.
Russias Investigative Committee said it suspected Kirill Serebrennikov of embezzling at least 68 million rubles ($1.15 million) in state funds earmarked for an art project, it said in a statement.
Serebrennikov, artistic director at Moscows avant-garde Gogol Centre theater, denies wrongdoing. He faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty.
Dmitry Kharitonov, a lawyer for Serebrennikov, said his client was detained in St. Petersburg where he was working on a film about a Soviet rock star.
Serebrennikov, an award-winning director whose father was Jewish, has used his work to criticize the authorities in the past, lashing out at what he sees as the pernicious growing role of the state and church in Russian society.
His detention shocked his supporters and the arts world.
The arrest of the director before a trial is a clearly excessive measure, wrote Alexei Kudrin, a liberal economist and former finance minister, on social media.
In May, investigators searched Serebrennikovs home and office and questioned him as a witness in an embezzlement case.
His lawyer could not immediately say if Serebrennikovs detention was linked to the same case or a different one. The accountant and general director of Serebrennikovs theater have already been accused of stealing state funds.
As The New York Times reported, well-regarded Russian cultural figures spoke out on Serebrennikovs behalf following both the earlier searches and his arrest. When Russian President Vladimir V. Putin gave a state award to the actor Yevgeny V. Mironov in May, Mironov passed him a letter advocating for Serebrennikov. And the literary critic and television host Aleksandr Arkhangelsky posted a Facebook status that, in the Times translation, was damning towards the authorities: Those who do this cover themselves with shame, he wrote.
In July, the Bolshoi Theatre postponed the world premiere of Nureyev, an edgy ballet about the famous Russian dancer which was directed by Serebrennikov.
The TASS news agency reported that Russias minister for culture had a long conversation with the Bolshoi before it announced it was postponing the premiere.
But Vladimir Urin, the theatres director general, said it had been pulled because rehearsals had shown it was not ready. He said it would be staged in May next year instead.
Read the original here:
Concerns About Censorship Soar As Russia Detains Director – Forward
- 10+ Years of Activists Silenced: Internet Intermediaries' Long History of Censorship - EFF - August 25th, 2017
- Cambridge University Press battles censorship in China - The Economist - August 25th, 2017
- At Beijing book fair, publishers admit self-censorship - Yahoo News - August 25th, 2017
- Delingpole: Thomas Wictor Is the Latest Victim of Google Censorship - Breitbart News - August 25th, 2017
- Tech Companies and Censorship: Where Should We Draw The Line? - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Why India's Battle Against Film Censorship Isn't Over Yet | IndieWire - IndieWire - August 22nd, 2017
- Ban of white nationalist website raising fears of government censorship - Washington Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Measuring the Internet for Freedom - Project Syndicate - August 22nd, 2017
- Grappling Championships Use Bitcoin To Circumvent Censorship ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Tech Censorship of White Supremacists Draws Criticism From Within Industry - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 20th, 2017
- Cambridge University Press censorship 'exposes Xi Jinping's authoritarian shift' - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Alt-Tech Bad Boy Cody Wilson Explains Hatreon, an Alternative to Online Censorship - PJ Media - August 20th, 2017
- More Internet Censorship - National Review - August 18th, 2017
- judge Nap: Censorship Worse Than Hate | The Daily Caller - The Daily Caller - August 18th, 2017
- Keep the Internet's Backbone Free From Censorship - Bloomberg - August 18th, 2017
- Vegas radio station apologizes to Golden Knights for censorship - Yahoo Sports - August 18th, 2017
- Team Trump accuses CNN of censorship - Washington Times - August 18th, 2017
- FCC Censorship Rules Vary for Broadcast, Cable, and Streaming - Variety - August 16th, 2017
- The architecture of censorship - The Hindu - August 16th, 2017
- [OPINION] Withdrawal of Mandela book nothing short of censorship - Eyewitness News - August 16th, 2017
- Trump campaign accuses CNN of censorship - The Hill - August 15th, 2017
- Chinese Censorship Hits the Middle East - Raddington Report (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- The saga of CBFC: Censor Board chairpersons who stood out over the years - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- The alt-right supporters of James Damore, the fired Google engineer who authored the so-called anti-diversity memo ... - Quartz - August 13th, 2017
- Artwork Mocking Google's Censorship Just Started Popping Up In California - The Federalist - August 13th, 2017
- OPINION | Trump's climate change censorship puts us all at risk - The Hill (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- How to fight Trump's climate science censorship - The Hill (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- The Price of Censorship for China's Internet Giants - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 11th, 2017
- Conservative And Independent YouTube Channels Hit By Censorship And Demonetization - The Daily Caller - August 11th, 2017
- The Head Of Indian Film Censorship Has Been Fired - Birth.Movies.Death. - August 11th, 2017
- Lyft Sparks Censorship Fears With Email Asking Drivers to Speak to Company Before Media - NBC Bay Area - August 11th, 2017
- Diamond and Silk accuse YouTube of 'censorship' after company demonetized '95%' of their videos - Twitchy - August 11th, 2017
- Anti-environment right shifts tactics: From climate-change denial to censorship and intimidation - Salon - August 10th, 2017
- Lyft drivers fear censorship after internal email about speaking to press - San Francisco Examiner - August 10th, 2017
- 'Censorship is for losers': Assange offers fired Google engineer job at WikiLeaks - RT - August 10th, 2017
- Stabenow questions 'censorship' of 'climate change' - The Detroit News - August 9th, 2017
- Wikileaks' Julian Assange Just Offered Google's Fired Anti-Diversity Employee a Job - Fortune - August 9th, 2017
- Jonathan Zimmerman column: Liberals worried about censorship forget about Sambo and the KKK - Richmond.com - August 9th, 2017
- Fearing Trump Censorship, Govt. Scientists Leak Alarming Climate Report - Common Dreams - August 9th, 2017
- 'Censorship is for losers': WikiLeaks offers fired Google engineer a job - BetaNews - August 9th, 2017
- Federal government email suggests censorship over 'climate change' - Washington Examiner - August 8th, 2017
- Judd Apatow on Calling HBO's 'Confederate' Backlash 'Censorship': 'I Used the Wrong Word' - TheWrap - August 8th, 2017
- No 'Censorship': Judd Apatow Defends HBO Drama 'Confederate' from SJWs - Breitbart News - August 8th, 2017
- YouTube Moves To Censor Controversial Content Brings ADL On Board As Flagger - Mintpress News (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Comic Chatbot Errors in China Mask Serious Corporate Caving on Censorship - TheStreet.com - August 6th, 2017
- Nico Hulkenberg shrugs off F1 'Halo' device censorship | Autoweek - Autoweek - August 5th, 2017
- Apple CEO Cook Defends Move to Censor Chinese Apps - Fortune - August 5th, 2017
- Apple, Amazon help China curb the use of anti-censorship tools - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- Anti-Social Media: Anti-Semitism and Censorship on the Rise - Townhall - August 4th, 2017
- China's Internet Censors Play a Tougher Game of Cat and Mouse - New York Times - August 3rd, 2017
- On censorship of 'Confederate,' it's 'Satanic Verses' deja vu - Washington Examiner - August 3rd, 2017
- China Holds Drill to Shut Down 'Harmful' Websites - Fortune - August 3rd, 2017
- Should the Koala Bear the Brunt of Censorship? - Cato Institute (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Why are so many Americans okay with corporations bowing to Chinese censorship? - The Week Magazine - August 3rd, 2017
- Apple Caved to China, Just Like Almost Every Other Tech Giant - WIRED - August 3rd, 2017
- Apple playing China's censorship game should make tech companies really nervous - Mashable - August 3rd, 2017
- Egyptian band beats censorship via YouTube - Al-Monitor - August 3rd, 2017
- Tim Cook Says Apple Had to Comply With Chinese Censors, and They'd Do It in the US Too - Gizmodo - August 2nd, 2017
- Popular YouTubers React To Censorship Of 'Controversial' Content - The Daily Caller - August 2nd, 2017
- Joining Apple, Amazon's China Cloud Service Bows to Censors - New York Times - August 2nd, 2017
- China's Censorship Powers Are More Dangerous Than You Know - The Federalist - August 2nd, 2017
- VPNs are a vital defence against censorship - but they're under attack - Amnesty International - August 1st, 2017
- ACLU sues Maryland, Kentucky governors over social media censorship - The Hill - August 1st, 2017
- Controversial Game House Party Returns to Steam After Some ... - DualShockers - August 1st, 2017
- Apple Bows To Chinese Regulators, Removes Internet Censorship-Defying Apps - Benzinga - August 1st, 2017
- Apple removes VPN apps in China as Beijing doubles down on censorship - CNBC - July 31st, 2017
- In China, internet censors are accidentally helping revive an invented Martian language - Quartz - July 31st, 2017
- Russian censorship law bans proxies and VPNs - Engadget - Engadget - July 31st, 2017
- Google's chief search engineer legitimizes new censorship algorithm - World Socialist Web Site - July 31st, 2017
- Apple removes China censorship-dodging apps from store, software makers say - MarketWatch - July 31st, 2017
- Apple Accused Of Removing Apps Used To Evade Censorship From Its China Store - NPR - July 29th, 2017
- Activists Say Censorship in North Korea Will Not Last - VOA Learning English - July 29th, 2017
- Cinema & censorship - The Hindu - July 28th, 2017
- Dozens of Venezuelan Journalists Flee Censorship and Violence to Report in Miami - Miami New Times - July 27th, 2017
- Book banning in Academy School District 20: Censorship or diligence? - Colorado Springs Gazette - July 27th, 2017
- 'Indecent' Playwright Paula Vogel Calls David Mamet's Talkback Ban 'Censorship' - Forward - July 27th, 2017
- Venezuelan Journalism Students Are Fighting Media Censorship. Here's How You Can Help - Remezcla (blog) - July 27th, 2017
- Professor Criticizes Beijing Censorship At University of Montana's 'Confucius Institute' - Newstalkkgvo - July 26th, 2017
- Pinkwashing Censorship: How the Chicago Dyke March Won its War on the Media - American Spectator - July 26th, 2017
- Google Wants Federal Judge To Nix Canadian Censorship Order - MediaPost Communications - July 26th, 2017