The Singularity Machine, explained Carpentier-Alting, is a play about a family trying to escape a world in crisis through the use of a device that will transport them into the future.
Friday, April 3, would have been the premier performance of The Singularity Machine at the College of the Siskiyous Kenneth Ford Theater in Weed. The play, told in two acts, is the creation of COS director Neil Carpentier-Alting and deals with humanitys quest to survive climate catastrophe.
Who wouldve thought a play about the end of the world would get canceled by the end of the world? said Carpentier-Alting.
The Singularity Machine, explained Carpentier-Alting, is a play about a family trying to escape a world in crisis through the use of a device that will transport them into the future. The primary question that the play attempts to address is how humanity will survive the effects of the impending climate catastrophe and overcome societal divisions in time to pull together. Oh, and there are lots of killer robots too.
On the stage for their first and final technical rehearsal on Monday, March 16, COS students and actors were able to at least film some scenes with lights and technical props in action before the early shelter-in-place order went into effect on March 19. The students will most likely not be able to stage a live performance this year.
The play was a completely in-house creation. Carpentier-Alting provided the main inspiration with an eight-page narrative, and local musicians Dave Theno and Tristan Behm composed the score. COS dance instructor Wendy James provided choreography oversight, Nic Fabrio was in charge of costume design and Amy LaMachia oversaw makeup.
We were just able to get each scene on film, said Carpentier-Alting. We have had to move classes to an online format with the thought that we may have to do this again in the fall. For now, we are getting together with the cast to record our experiences with the pandemic with the hopes of making something out of it.
Stage Makeup instructor Amy LaMachia will continue teaching the students online. She prepared makeup kits for each student and says they will be able to finish the semester but there are challenges.
These students are so resilient and creative, I honestly cannot wait to see what they come up with for these remaining modules, LaMachia said. So much of what makes our department as amazing as it is, is the personal connection we have with our students. We hope to foster that even if it is through an internet connection.
The Singularity Machine was created as a piece of devised theater in which all the cast, crew and technicians collectively create a piece of visual art. The collaborative process uses dance, gesture, music and sound to tell the story. The play follows the quest of a father, mother, and their daughter as they travel through time to escape calamity. The father looks to technology to save humanity, while the mother looks to rouse others to their cause. It is their child who ultimately leads them to a new and better world. The dynamic piece of theater follows the three travelers as they battle sentient robots, meet strange alien civilizations, and travel through time through an on-stage portal. For Carpentier-Alting and his fellow instructors the focus now is on preserving the play digitally and thinking about a remount in the fall.
How do we plan for this level of uncertainty in this new world? Carpentier-Alting said. How do we plan for anything now?
Answering his own question, Carpentier-Alting offers the play as a possible starting point.
The play assumes adopting and cultivating humane practices in all aspects of life will help to create a broader safety net and increase the rate of survival, he said. Change is necessary for survival and growth.
- AMD Ryzen 7 3800 XT Benchmarks Leaked Up To 34% Increase In Ashes of the Singularity - Wccftech - June 13th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT appears in Ashes of the Singularity benchmark - TechnoSports - June 13th, 2020
- Destiny 2: The Prophecy dungeon guide Beating every boss and encounter - PC Invasion - June 13th, 2020
- Pande-Mix Playlist: The Flaming Lips' Race for the Prize - Riverfront Times - June 13th, 2020
- 15 More Grid-Scale Battery Storage Installations Are Coming To Texas - CleanTechnica - June 13th, 2020
- Neutron Stars Could Have a Layer of Exotic Quark Matter Inside Them - Universe Today - June 13th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT & Ryzen 9 3900XT Price and Launch Date revealed by Amazon with big price hikes - Mighty Gadget - June 13th, 2020
- Devin Townsend shares an hour of new ambient music - Louder - June 7th, 2020
- On The Beguiling Question Of Whether AI Can Form Intent, Including The Case Of Self-Driving Cars - Forbes - June 7th, 2020
- How to Play a Market That Shrugs Off Everything - Barron's - June 7th, 2020
- The Double-A Team: Puyo Puyo Tetris takes puzzling beyond the infinite - Eurogamer.net - June 7th, 2020
- Album Reviews: Lady Gaga, The Archives and Jason Wilber - Worcester Telegram - June 7th, 2020
- Changes in Executive Order raise eyebrows - Daily Nation - June 7th, 2020
- A Human-Centric World of Work: Why It Matters, and How to Build It - Singularity Hub - June 1st, 2020
- The Tower of Babel Project: how human beings must prepare for the approaching Singularity - Medium - June 1st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, China, Russia, and the Global Order - Khabarhub - June 1st, 2020
- Parallel Lives the only book you'll ever need to read about marriage - Telegraph.co.uk - June 1st, 2020
- Mystery radio signal detected coming from the heart of our galaxy and may be sent from a black hole - The Sun - June 1st, 2020
- 4 Non-Obvious Trends That Matter During This Pandemic - Singularity Hub - May 29th, 2020
- Black hole: THIS is what would happen if you got close to a black hole - Express.co.uk - May 29th, 2020
- Buildings Consume Lots of EnergyHere's How to Design Whole Communities That Give Back as Much as They Take - Singularity Hub - May 29th, 2020
- Retired USMC Captain, Derek Herrera, to Take Chairman Role for MVPvets, a Nonprofit That Helps Military Veterans Find Careers in Medical Device and... - May 29th, 2020
- Lewontin's Confession and Mamet's Principle - Discovery Institute - May 29th, 2020
- How to supercharge your teams brainstorming sessions with sci-fi narratives - The Next Web - May 29th, 2020
- Robby Krieger of the Doors Premieres Trippy New Song 'Hot Head' - Rock Cellar Magazine - May 29th, 2020
- League of Legends patch 10.11 update: The beginning of the ADC meta - PC Invasion - May 29th, 2020
- Musician, Writers and More Share Their Coronavirus Experience in Their Own Words Part II - 303 Magazine - May 29th, 2020
- Navy hopes new NGEN contract will lead to domain singularity - Federal News Network - May 24th, 2020
- Did My Hero Academia Just Reveal the Truth Behind the Singularity? - ComicBook.com - May 24th, 2020
- A New Bionic Eye Could Give Robots and the Blind 20/20 Vision - Singularity Hub - May 24th, 2020
- The US Government Just Invested Big in Small-Scale Nuclear Power - Singularity Hub - May 24th, 2020
- Astronomers have discovered a black hole in two steps from the Earth - The Times Hub - May 24th, 2020
- Rule of thumb on proper use of active verb - Daily Nation - May 24th, 2020
- Making It Work: Marketing consultancy crowdfunds to target overseas markets - Business Post - May 24th, 2020
- Rebellion, New OrderStyle: What Happened to It? - National Review - April 23rd, 2020
- Why Interest in Virtual Worlds for Online Collaboration Is Spiking - Singularity Hub - April 23rd, 2020
- Contact Tracing Is the Next Step in the Covid-19 BattleBut How Will It Work in Western Countries? - Singularity Hub - April 23rd, 2020
- How to Navigate the Coronavirus Crisis With Innovation at Warp Speed - Singularity Hub - April 23rd, 2020
- Reducing Global Supply Chain Reliance on China Won't Be Easy - BRINK - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045' Preview: Will the new series step up to franchise standards or crash and burn - MEAWW - April 23rd, 2020
- EU Masters Spring 2020: The Top 5 Teams in the Main Event - Blog of Legends - April 23rd, 2020
- Remembering the Boston Marathon Bombing Victims and Survivors 7 Years Later - Newsweek - April 23rd, 2020
- Reaching the Singularity May be Humanity's Greatest and Last Accomplishment - Air & Space Magazine - March 31st, 2020
- Regenerative Business, Part 4: Singularity and Why It Matters - Sustainable Brands - March 31st, 2020
- How long have we got before humans are replaced by artificial intelligence? - Scroll.in - March 31st, 2020
- Do We Have to Give Up Our Personal Freedoms to Beat Coronavirus? - Singularity Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Devs Wants to Unsettle You with that Dj Vu Feeling - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- To fight the coronavirus spread, give artificial intelligence a chance - Livemint - March 31st, 2020
- 'Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045': Release date, plot, cast, music, trailer and all you need to know about anime - MEAWW - March 31st, 2020
- News Watch Jon Hopkins perform to no one at The Sydney Opera House - Stoney Roads - March 31st, 2020
- Crime thrillers and cannabis cooking competition among April streaming picks - CityNews - March 31st, 2020
- The Greatest Gamble of All Time - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Marching Toward the Singularity - kcstudio.org - March 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Seven Ways Collective Intelligence Is Tackling the Pandemic - Singularity Hub - March 15th, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through March 14) - Singularity Hub - March 15th, 2020
- Huge $161 Million Investment Means Meat Without the Animal Is Here - Singularity Hub - March 15th, 2020
- Here's what to do in Houston this week - KPRC Click2Houston - March 15th, 2020
- Kill It and Leave This Town: Film Review - Variety - March 15th, 2020
- PS4-exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC - The Tech Report - March 15th, 2020
- The Best Shows and Movies to Watch This Week: Westworld, The Plot Against America - TV Guide - March 15th, 2020
- 10 Forgotten First Person Shooters You Need To Play | Game Rant - GameRant - March 15th, 2020
- Ed Skrein: As actors, we dont have to put on a posh accent and toe the line - British GQ - March 15th, 2020
- Tesla Is Building Its First European Factory But It Has to Clear a Forest First - Singularity Hub - February 27th, 2020
- Rhythm and Rhyme - Oxford American - February 27th, 2020
- AI Just Discovered a New Antibiotic to Kill the World's Nastiest Bacteria - Singularity Hub - February 27th, 2020
- Review: 'Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band' - Los Angeles Times - February 27th, 2020
- T's Spring Women's Fashion Issue: The Test - The New York Times - February 27th, 2020
- Disagreeing with the fuzzy logic - Galway Advertiser - February 27th, 2020
- African Americans have been blocked from voting, but the Black vote is not a 'bloc' - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 27th, 2020
- A multiverse, not the metaverse - TechCrunch - February 27th, 2020
- Former Fund Manager from Haitong International Asset Management Joins Singularity Financial Executive Team - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- Artificial Swarm Intelligence In The Context Of Singularity - Forbes - January 29th, 2020
- Why the Singularity may be the key to World Peace? - Thrive Global - January 29th, 2020
- One of a Kind: MONO and A.A. Williams Forge a Singularity on the - Invisible Oranges - January 29th, 2020
- Decoding the Brain Goes Global With the International Brain Initiative - Singularity Hub - January 29th, 2020
- Time travel discovery: THIS is how you could move back and forward in time in a black hole - Express.co.uk - January 29th, 2020
- The new industrial revolution will change everything - Fabius Maximus journal - January 29th, 2020
- This Marvelous Machine Splits Moon Dust Into Oxygen and Metal - Singularity Hub - January 29th, 2020
- A top Silicon Valley futurist on how AI, AR and VR will shape fashion's future - Vogue Business - January 29th, 2020
- Captain Marvel Might Be Leading Two Superhero Teams in Future MCU Films - Fatherly - January 29th, 2020