The American military is entering an era of great power competition, where agility and quick adaptation matters more than ever. For too long, emerging capabilities failed to bridge the valley of death and get integrated into Department of Defense programs of record. In recent years, the DoD has launched groups aiming to change the tech insertion reality, such as the Defense Innovation Unit, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center and Army Futures Command, which accelerate adoption of innovative technologies across the department.
Even so, disruptive innovation in the commercial sector still struggles to enter the federal market, including at the Pentagon. The recent trend toward the defense industrial base consolidating down to a handful of large system integrators tuned toward winning contracts that require custom-developed solutions must cease. Their hold on DoD means innovative software startups and small businesses find the federal government market increasingly complicated, lacking transparency and fraught with misaligned incentives, which further supports the incumbents.
Thankfully, it doesnt have to be this way. DoD is primed to accelerate digital innovation through procurement and governance transformation enabled by cloud software marketplaces. Last years NDAA contained Section 834, which allows for pilots of consumption-based technology and provides an opening to think differently about buying services for the war fighter. Cloud software marketplaces offer the government the potential to simplify the approach for procuring independent software vendors (ISVs) through the growing number of cloud contracts, which can fundamentally change the paradigm on tech insertion.
The Biden administration can leverage new DoD acquisition authorities and make long overdue shifts in the DoD IT and software budgets to accelerate the departments cloud transformation. Budgetary realignment offers the government an opportunity to open the door to innovation from third party providers, cutting edge software and cloud-based workloads. Such an approach would streamline tech insertion, increase government access to new solutions, mitigate concerns about vendor lock in, and level the playing field for small vendors that struggle to navigate the complicated process of selling into the federal government.
In particular, cloud marketplaces provide DoD an opportunity to successfully execute its software pilot mandate as required by Section 834. For instance, software marketplaces enable utility software consumption models, by providing scalable usage on demand, and at established commercial catalog prices. Marketplaces ensure that once new capabilities are launched and accredited, they are available for use under the program, while also enabling flexible and as-needed teaming arrangement to enable the software channel to participate in the ecosystem to support the mission. A strong 834 pilot can allow government to test and validate new technologies prior to making time-intensive investments in meeting security certifications required for production workloads.
By aligning tech delivery with its existing cloud service provider relationships, DoD can offload tech insertion to commercial industry via a cloud marketplace aligned to existing contracts.
In August 2020, Bessemer Ventures and Alliance for Digital Innovation member Tackle.io released their first State of Cloud Marketplaces report. In it they note, Fundamental shifts in the enterprise software industry come around very rarely, but when they do, most of us tend to underestimate how large of an impact they will have All we know in the near term is that Cloud Marketplaces will likely exceed all our expectations most large software buyers are just waking up to the opportunities that these Marketplaces afford them to save precious time and money on the procurement of cloud software that they are already buying.
DoD is the type of large enterprise that must embrace this opportunity and, thanks to some recent developments, is well positioned to unleash innovative software solutions across every inch of the Pentagon.
Sign up for the C4ISRNET newsletter about future battlefield technologies.
(please select a country) United States United Kingdom Afghanistan Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo, The Democratic Republic of The Cook Islands Costa Rica Cote D'ivoire Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guinea Guinea-bissau Guyana Haiti Heard Island and Mcdonald Islands Holy See (Vatican City State) Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran, Islamic Republic of Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Lao People's Democratic Republic Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libyan Arab Jamahiriya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia, Federated States of Moldova, Republic of Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestinian Territory, Occupied Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and The Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia and Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Georgia and The South Sandwich Islands Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Svalbard and Jan Mayen Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan, Province of China Tajikistan Tanzania, United Republic of Thailand Timor-leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States United States Minor Outlying Islands Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Viet Nam Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Wallis and Futuna Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
By giving us your email, you are opting in to the C4ISRNET Daily Brief.
As DoD moves the Cloud Computing Program Office from the Pentagon to the Defense Information Systems Agency, now is a perfect time to examine the role of cloud software marketplaces, establish software-as-a-service pilots consistent with Section 834, and remove friction to allow easier procurement and integration of ISVs into the DoDs agile acquisition framework. This approach will save time and money on procurement, create opportunities for small businesses, and enable DoD to deliver the best solutions for the war fighter faster.
Matthew T. Cornelius is the executive director of the Alliance for Digital Innovation. ADI is a coalition of innovative technology companies focused on improving mission outcomes in the public sector through the adoption and use of modern commercial capabilities.
Follow this link:
- Technology company - Wikipedia - June 20th, 2021
- PROJECT 38: How to survive today's tech stressors - Washington Technology - June 20th, 2021
- The first-ever Black-owned social job network built on blockchain technology launches Juneteenth - Johnson City Press (subscription) - June 20th, 2021
- Komatsu: celebrating 100 years of industrial innovation | Technology - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - June 20th, 2021
- Energy Department Seeks to Keep Grant-Backed Technology Jobs in U.S. - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- AI and the future of global trade | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 20th, 2021
- Investors in technology need to pay attention to corporate governance - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Swiss Scientist Refined Technology Used in MRI Scans - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Talking Technology: Ferrie Says This Investment Can Yield Up to $100/Acre Profits - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Mississippi INBRE Research Efforts Aided by Technology Upgrade - Southern Miss Now - June 20th, 2021
- How One Company Is Leveraging Technology To Support And Educate Autistic Children - Forbes - June 20th, 2021
- Meet the World Economic Forum's Technology Pioneers of 2021 - World Economic Forum - June 20th, 2021
- Research says AI technology to divert invasive species in Illinois river akin to 'crime scene photos' - The Center Square - June 20th, 2021
- Bridging the gap: Technology can help conserve biodiversity - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Diving into the global problem of technology waste - MIT News - June 20th, 2021
- Calculating The Fair Value Of New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc. (NYSE:EDU) - Yahoo Finance - June 20th, 2021
- Ministers eye technology to save thousands of NHS staffing hours - Yahoo Finance UK - June 20th, 2021
- U.S., EU Forge Closer Ties on Emerging Technologies to Counter Russia and China - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Newater Technology, Inc. Announces the Discharge of Injunction Against its Going Private Transaction - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- The UAPs (UFOs) Are Not Caused by Any U.S. Advanced Technology - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - June 20th, 2021
- All kinds of new technology are being used to monitor the natural world - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- WIPO is seeking a Head, Legislative, Policy and Technology Advice Section - IPWatchdog.com - June 20th, 2021
- This Is The Future Of EV Technology...Maybe - InsideEVs - June 20th, 2021
- Rule of land supreme, not your policy: Parliamentary panel on information technology to Twitter - Economic Times - June 20th, 2021
- Coding languages to learn and avoid for technology jobs in banks - eFinancialCareers - June 20th, 2021
- Green Energy: The Issue Is Politics, Not Technology or Cost - Bloomberg - June 20th, 2021
- Global High Purity Alumina Market (2020 to 2026) - Featuring Airy Technology, Nippon Light Metal and Polar Sapphire Among Others -... - June 20th, 2021
- Novel Vaccine Based on mRNA Technology Shows Protection Against Malaria in Animal Models | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - June 20th, 2021
- Widespread electrification requires us to rethink battery technology - TechCrunch - June 13th, 2021
- Innovative Battery Technology Puts Flying Cars on the Horizon - SciTechDaily - June 13th, 2021
- Intel debates buyout of SiFive to bolster chip technology against Arm -source - Reuters - June 13th, 2021
- Erbil to host 2nd annual international fair on information technology - Kurdistan24 - June 13th, 2021
- The coming productivity boom - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- Sit back and enjoy the technology ride - Mankato Free Press - June 13th, 2021
- King County Councils ban of facial recognition technology is misguided - MyNorthwest.com - June 13th, 2021
- Recon Updates Progress on its Technology-Driven Solutions for Electric Submersible Progressing Cavity Pump with $5 Million Orders Secured - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2021
- Jetti Resources' technology could help unlock millions of tonnes of copper from tailings - The Northern Miner - June 13th, 2021
- We can take the lead in offshore wind-energy technology - theday.com - June 13th, 2021
- Senate passes bill to boost US science and tech innovation to compete with China - USA TODAY - June 13th, 2021
- Technology Fills the Gap as Jobs Lag GDP - The Wall Street Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Salesforce CEO: We're going to rebuild all of our technology to become Slack-first - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- TikTok changed the shape of some peoples faces without asking - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- NFTs: A token of trust in the digital world | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 13th, 2021
- NextNav, with its warehouse-ready positioning technology, going public via SPAC - FreightWaves - June 13th, 2021
- What is a flying car? - The Indian Express - June 13th, 2021
- Moon, Macron discuss bilateral cooperation in cutting-edge technology industries - The Korea Herald - June 13th, 2021
- This Top Computer and Technology Stock is a #1 (Strong Buy): Why It Should Be on Your Radar - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- This DST-backed wastewater treatment technology to reduce costs for low, medium scale enterprises - The Financial Express - June 13th, 2021
- VPN is still the most important tool in your technological arsenal - TechRadar - June 13th, 2021
- DXC Technology Welcomes Brenda Tsai as Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Proceed to your nearest (virtual) exit: gaming technology is teaching us how people respond to emergencies - The Conversation AU - June 13th, 2021
- UK and US agree to strengthen ties in science and technology - GOV.UK - June 13th, 2021
- The Frangible Technology Fund Expands Across the United States - United States Eventing Association - June 13th, 2021
- BIS Working Paper Examines Architecture and Rationale of CBDC Technology | ABA Banking Journal - ABA Banking Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Should You Be Adding Amkor Technology (NASDAQ:AMKR) To Your Watchlist Today? - Simply Wall St - June 13th, 2021
- Worldwide Rubber Gloves Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Survivor Credits Cutting Edge Technology For Best Chance In Fight Against Aggressive Breast Cancer - news9.com KWTV - June 13th, 2021
- 2022 Audi A3 and S3 return with improved engines and technology - The Car Connection - June 13th, 2021
- Is Society Moving In The Right Direction With Technology Rapidly Taking Over The World? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Top Technology Trends Redefining the Future of the Fintech Industry - Analytics Insight - June 2nd, 2021
- King County Council votes to ban use of facial recognition technology - KING5.com - June 2nd, 2021
- Why banks differ in the pace of adoption of new technology | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 2nd, 2021
- 1 Trillion Gallons of Water Being Recycled Using Xylem Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is the Space Force's Technology Vision? - FedTech Magazine - June 2nd, 2021
- Staying safe with technology | News | thenewsguard.com - The News Guard - June 2nd, 2021
- New technology put in place to stop wrong-way drivers is showing results - WCPO - June 2nd, 2021
- UK Partners With NASA to Help Launch $15 Million Space Technology Research Institute - UKNow - June 2nd, 2021
- MOLECULAR YOU SIGNS AGREEMENT FOR ROCHE TO USE ITS MOLECULAR PROFILING TECHNOLOGY - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Japanese companies to develop chipmaking technology with TSMC -Nikkei - Reuters - June 2nd, 2021
- Microsoft: This open-source technology points the way to the collaborative future of work - TechRepublic - June 2nd, 2021
- Using Technology to Increase Investor Confidence - The Real Deal - June 2nd, 2021
- Adlumin Appoints New Director of Innovation and Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- NBA Launchpad initiative seeks to improve basketball through emerging technologies - USA TODAY - June 2nd, 2021
- Cristiano Ronaldo Signs Recovery Technology Deal With Therabody - SportTechie - June 2nd, 2021
- Micron Technology to Report Fiscal Third Quarter Results on June 30, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Harvard Licenses Technology to Obatala Sciences to Advance Discovery in Obesity, Diabetes, and Cancer - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Former head of Alphabets Loon joins Starship Technologies as new CEO - TechCrunch - June 2nd, 2021
- HRS Crisis Management Solution Delivers Turnkey Technology and Safe Hotel Options for Corporations, First Responders and Governments - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Trillions of pounds of trash: New technology tries to solve an old garbage problem - CNBC - June 2nd, 2021
- Technology companies testing anti-misinformation accuracy prompts developed by MIT research team - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2021