New DNA-based LASSO molecule probe can bind target genome regions for functional cloning and analysis.Image credit: Jennifer E. Fairman/Johns Hopkins UniversityDiscovering the function of a gene requires cloning a DNA sequence and expressing it. Until now, this was performed on a one-gene-at-a-time basis, causing a bottleneck. Scientists atRutgers University-New Brunswickin collaboration with Johns Hopkins University and Harvard Medical School have invented a technology to clone thousands of genes simultaneously and create massive libraries of proteins from DNA samples, potentially ushering in a new era of functional genomics.
We think that the rapid, affordable, and high-throughput cloning of proteins and other genetic elements will greatly accelerate biological research to discover functions of molecules encoded by genomes and match the pace at which new genome sequencing data is coming out, saidBiju Parekkadan, an associate professor in theDepartment of Biomedical Engineeringat Rutgers University-New Brunswick.
In a study published online June 26in the journalNature Biomedical Engineering, the researchers showed that their technologyLASSO (long-adapter single-strand oligonucleotide) probescan capture and clone thousands of long DNA fragments at once.
As a proof-of-concept, the researchers cloned more than 3,000 DNA fragments fromE. coli bacteria, commonly used as a model organism with a catalogued genome sequence available.
We captured about 95 percent of the gene targets we set out to capture, many of which were very large in DNA length, which has been challenging in the past, Parekkadan said. I think there will certainly be more improvements over time.
They can now take a genome sequence (or many of them) and make a protein library for screening with unprecedented speed, cost-effectiveness and precision, allowing rapid discovery of potentially beneficial biomolecules from a genome.
In conducting their research, they coincidentally solved a longstanding problem in the genome sequencing field. When it comes togenetic sequencingof individual genomes, todays gold standard is to sequence small pieces of DNA one by one and overlay them to map out the full genome code. But short reads can be hard to interpret during the overlaying process and there hasnt been a way to sequence long fragments of DNA in a targeted and more efficient way. LASSO probes can do just this, capturing DNA targets of more than 1,000 base pairs in length where the current format captures about 100 base pairs.
The team also reported the capture and cloning of the first protein library, or suite of proteins, from a human microbiome sample. Shedding light on thehuman microbiomeat a molecular level is a first step toward improving precision medicine efforts that affect the microbial communities that colonize our gut, skin, and lungs, Parekkadan added.Precision medicine requires a deep and functional understanding, at a molecular level, of the drivers of healthy and disease-forming microbiota.
Today, the pharmaceutical industry screens synthetic chemical libraries of thousands of molecules to find one that may have a medicinal effect, said Parekkadan, who joined RutgersSchool of Engineeringin January.
Our vision is to apply the same approach but rapidly screen non-synthetic, biological or natural molecules cloned from human or other genomes, including those of plants, animals and microbes, he said. This could transform pharmaceutical drug discovery into biopharmaceutical drug discovery with much more effort.
The next phase, which is underway, is to improve the cloning process, build libraries and discover therapeutic proteins found in our genomes, Parekkadan said.
Other authors include Lorenzo Tosi, Viswanadham Sridhara, Yunlong Yang, Dongli Guan, and Polina Shpilker of Harvard Medical School; Nicola Segata of the University of Trento in Trento, Italy; and H. Benjamin Larman of Johns Hopkins University.
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over mammoth cloning tech - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 13th, 2017
- Orphan Black is ending, but how far has human cloning come? - The Verge - August 11th, 2017
- Over 50 Nalasopara residents lose Rs 10 lakh to debit card cloning - Times of India - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists are Getting Closer To Using Pig Organs For Human Transplants - TIME - August 11th, 2017
- Porsche 911-Look Fiat 500 Is Like A Cloning Experiment Gone Wrong - Motor1.com - August 8th, 2017
- VACC warns of number-plate cloning scam, motorists left to prove innocence - CarAdvice - August 8th, 2017
- How to clone a hard drive or SSD - PC Gamer - August 8th, 2017
- A natural gas boom in the Adriatic has created teeming nurseries of self-cloning baby jellyfish - Quartz - August 6th, 2017
- Here's the list of some of the famous living creatures that were patented - Economic Times - August 6th, 2017
- Playing with Fire: Trump's Iran Policy Risks Cloning North Korea - International Policy Digest (press release) (blog) - August 5th, 2017
- Trump's Iran Policy Risks Cloning North Korea - Fair Observer - August 4th, 2017
- That dream bike may not be the bargain you hoped for as the number plates may be cloned - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Cloning, Counterfeiting and Fraud in digital payments what to know to stay safe - Technology Zimbabwe - August 3rd, 2017
- The Extinct Horses of Great Abaco Island May Live Again - Atlas Obscura - July 31st, 2017
- LG vice president's phone SIM and credit cards cloned, duped of Rs 6 lakh - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- Competent Cells Market to Reach $2.2 Billion by 2022 - Analysis By Type, Application, End User & Region - PR Newswire (press release) - July 26th, 2017
- Date palm cloning ensures traditional UAE industry has a sweet future - The National - July 24th, 2017
- Asda Kingswood speak out after card cloning reports at store's petrol station - Hull Daily Mail - July 21st, 2017
- Men accused of cloning credit cards arrested in Bossier City | News ... - KTBS - July 21st, 2017
- Four including ex-employees of PVR arrested for card cloning - Hindustan Times - July 19th, 2017
- Nigerian held for cloning of debit cards - Times of India - July 18th, 2017
- Ukhand: Over 50 duped in ATM card cloning, STF to probe | Latest ... - Daily News & Analysis - July 18th, 2017
- How does cloning work, anyway? Your guide to real-world replication - Yahoo News - July 17th, 2017
- Midas, Cloning and the quest for eternal life - The New Indian Express - July 15th, 2017
- How does cloning work, anyway? Your guide to real-world replication - Digital Trends - July 15th, 2017
- Multiplex workers in card cloning racket - Times of India - Times of India - July 15th, 2017
- Former employees of multiplex arrested for cloning cards at ... - Hindustan Times - July 15th, 2017
- Two Nigerians with expired visas held for card cloning - Times of India - July 14th, 2017
- Genetically - Sputnik International - July 14th, 2017
- This is how to spot a card-cloning device at your ATM - JOE - July 12th, 2017
- Katie Price KNEW Jane Poutney was 'cloning into her' before she had affair with Kieran Hayler - Mirror.co.uk - July 12th, 2017
- First Gene-Edited Dog Cloned in China Raises Ethical Concerns - Sixth Tone - July 10th, 2017
- SilverStone TS12C Dual Docking and Cloning Station Review - eTeknix - July 10th, 2017
- Delhi gets 15 card cloning cases each month - Times of India - July 8th, 2017
- Better than CRISPR? LASSO Cloning ropes in Long-Read DNA - Labiotech.eu (blog) - July 8th, 2017
- Mumbai man booked for card cloning racket - Times of India - July 8th, 2017
- 5 Reasons to Think Twice About Animal Cloning - Care2.com - July 7th, 2017
- Farzi Cafe staff held for cloning cards, siphoning off Rs 6 Lakh - Daily News & Analysis - July 7th, 2017
- Facebook is reportedly cloning group video chat app Houseparty - TechSpot - July 7th, 2017
- Caf staff booked for cloning cards - The Hindu - The Hindu - July 5th, 2017
- Robotic Pig Cloning in China Considered Successful - China Christian Daily - July 5th, 2017
- Copy-Craps: The 15 Worst Comic Book Clones - CBR (blog) - July 4th, 2017
- Mumbaiites beware, your waiter might be cloning your card while you make payment at a hotel - Hindustan Times - July 4th, 2017
- Don't hand over your credit or debit card to waiters in Mumbai, some sell details for 1000 each - Hindustan Times - July 3rd, 2017
- Fraud Expert: Credit Card Cloning Trend "Going Skyward" - WFYI - June 30th, 2017
- Youth's arrest unearthed card cloning fraud - Times of India - June 30th, 2017
- Yves Tumor's New Music Video is a Creepy Story of Cloning & Biohacking - Out Magazine - June 28th, 2017
- To find new drugs, make 'libraries' from DNA - Futurity: Research News - June 28th, 2017
- This powerful new tool for cloning genes could speed up drug discovery - Boston Business Journal - June 27th, 2017
- Three waiters arrested in Mumbai for fraud and cloning ATM cards ... - Hindustan Times - June 26th, 2017
- Puppies cloned from ears arrive in Russia for genetic research ... - RT - June 24th, 2017
- Cloning to the rescue - New Scientist - June 15th, 2017
- Cloning To Revive Abaco Wild Horses - Bahamas Tribune - June 15th, 2017
- Cloning Yourself in Photos or Videos - Fstoppers - June 10th, 2017
- Hackers caught cloning activist Twitter accounts to spread fake news ... - The Independent - June 10th, 2017
- Cloning Grapes Will Save Australian Wine - National Geographic Australia - June 8th, 2017
- Five Rules For Successful Marijuana Cloning - June 7th, 2017