Written by Dr Rakesh Sinha | Updated: December 24, 2019 12:29:46 pm In a democratic society, the formulation of a law apart from constitutional compatibility is expected to address two subjective issues. (Illustration: C R Sasikumar)
In a democratic society, the formulation of a law apart from constitutional compatibility is expected to address two subjective issues. The first is its social utility and the second, the moral consciousness of the people. It is in this context that the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) should be examined. Its critics assert that it betrays our commitment to secularism, the very foundation of the Constitution. Is this objection valid?
The idea of the CAA was mooted and finally given shape in law to protect people from religious persecution in three neighbouring countries Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. All of them are Islamic states and the increasing radicalisation of society in these countries led to brute religious majoritarianism against minorities Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians. There has been consensus in India that such victims should be given dignity and protection. In fact, it constitutes a core ingredient of our social philosophy from time immemorial. Even before we framed our secular democratic Constitution, India provided shelter to people facing religious persecution. When Parsis and Jews faced threats to their right to worship and religious identity, they found dignity and space on our soil. According to the 1931 census, there were 1,09,752 Parsis and 24,000 Jews in India. Moreover, both these communities have shown little inclination to return to their respective nations. The CAA is consistent with this secular tradition of India.
The Indian state has never been antithetical to the cause of minorities in our neighbourhood, irrespective of the political party in power. Such victims have been accommodated during the Congress government in the past as well. Even the Left parties supported Indias active intervention to protect refugees from Bangladesh. The 20th party congress of the CPM in 2012 passed a resolution demanding an amendment in the Citizenship Act 2003 to give citizenship to Bengali refugees who were, according to the party, victims of historical circumstances. The unchecked atrocities on minorities in these states by fundamentalists, and the failure of the states to defeat such elements, gave rise to an abnormal situation.
There were over two lakh Hindus and Sikhs in Afghanistan before the 1990s. Their number has dwindled to a few hundred in the last three decades. Further, out of 64 temples and gurudwaras in the country, only three are functional.
The situation in Bangladesh is no less grim. The work of Abul Barkat of Dhaka University and statistics released by the Bangladesh Statistical Bureau revealed a situation beyond our imagination. Barkat, based on decades of research, establishes that 632 Hindus have gone missing everyday in Bangladesh since 1964 (East Pakistan till 1971). Both the sources confirm that no less than 11.1 million Hindus have gone missing in Bangladesh between 1964 and 2013. The Enemy Property Act was renamed as the Vested Property Act after the formation of Bangladesh. It affected more than 1.3 million Hindu households more than two lakh acres of land possessed by the Hindus was forcibly grabbed. The efforts of the state to safeguard Hindus remained abysmally ineffectual. In 2002, Bangladesh enacted the Vested Property (Return) Act and subsequently the Vested Property (Return) Amendment Act, 2011 with the intention to give back possession of their land to Hindus. But this was in vain.
The Jinnah Institute in Pakistan and other sources, including news reports in the international and national media, present a gloomy picture of the condition of Hindus and other religious minorities in that country. Attacks on the dignity of women, forcible conversions, grabbing of land and other properties of the Hindus and Christians have been a part of daily life.
It is thus urgent to address the existential threat to religious minorities in these three countries. And it is with this aim that the Narendra Modi government formulated the CAA. Contending that this humanitarian action is a betrayal of our commitment to secularism is a classic example of the peculiar absurdity of double think. The CAA is, rather, an extension of and commitment to the idea of secularism.
The Act also corrects the historical mistake committed in the Nehru-Liaquat pact. Then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru had not engaged his cabinet colleagues and senior party leaders before signing the pact on February 8, 1950. The secular pretensions of Nehru, emanating from the Western variety of flawed modernity, led him to backtrack from the promises to the Hindus who lived in Pakistan. The Congress leadership had promised during Partition that their life and religion would not be in peril. The pact was a great retreat from that promise. Syama Prasad Mookerjee resigned from the Union cabinet on February 19, 1950, in protest against the Nehru-Liaquat Pact. A few months later, the world witnessed the protest by the Law Minister of Pakistan, J N Mandal, whose close friendship with M A Jinnah was well known. The undiminished atrocities on Hindus, particularly Scheduled Caste women, led him to resign from the government on April 29, 1950 and return to India. He wrote: I cannot bear the load of untruth and pretensions that Hindus live with honour and security of their life, religion and property in Pakistan.
On December 4, 1947, Mahatma Gandhi demanded that the Nehru government bring back Scheduled Castes from Pakistan due to the inhuman treatment meted out to them and their forced conversion. The CAA is a fulfilment of the historical responsibility to those people whom Partition made stateless. Indias secular democracy has historically been invested with moral force and this has been exhibited by the CAA. Earlier, governments used gradualism to provide protection to the Hindus and other minorities of these states. The Modi government has formalised the process to end the uncertainties and odds faced by these stateless and persecuted people.
In a democracy, dissent and doubts are important and logical dialogue is the only way to yield a constructive consensus. But the protests that emerged abruptly against the CAA seem to be explicitly driven by a prejudice against the government that it is pursuing Hindutva majoritarianism to exclude Muslims. This is based on an over-active imagination and conspiracy theories. How does giving humanitarian shelter to the victims affect Indian Muslims or any other citizen of India?
Importantly, Muslims in these countries do not face any crisis in pursuing their right to worship. India cannot meddle in the internal disputes among various sects of Islam, whether Ahmadiya or Shia or Sunni, who have been competing with each other for hegemony and over interpretations of the historical evolution of Islam. Religious persecution and aspiration for hegemony are two different things.
The concept of citizenship is not static or stagnant. It is a dynamic process and is intertwined with the nation state. It progressively expands and sometimes, unwillingly, shrinks according to circumstances.
There are two examples from our own historical experiences. Millions of Indians ceased to be citizens with the formation of Pakistan as fraternity mutated into unfriendliness between communities. The second example is reflected in a correspondence between two great Parsi leaders. Dadabhai Naoroji wrote the following to Dinshaw Wacha on December 20, 1888: We are Indias and India is our mother country and we can only sink and swim as Indians. If we break with it our fate will be that of a peacock feathers.
The CAA fulfils both the constitutional morality and civilisational ethos historically endowed to us. It is time for the Muslims to be part of this Indian tradition rather than being fed the delusion that the Modi government is anti-minority.
This article first appeared in the print edition on December 24, 2019 under the title A deluded dissent. The writer is a Rajya Sabha MP from the BJP
For all the latest Opinion News, download Indian Express App
Its critics want to deny space to the RSS. The Sangh wants to engage with all shades of political opinion and intellectuals and revive the
Dialogue with those he disagreed with, struggle for free India, marked his political life...
Anti-RSSism must not obscure that it is part of an organised smear campaign..
- Navigo Proteins and MDimune Enter into a Research Collaboration on Affilin-Mediated Targeting of Extracellular Vesicles - BioSpace - May 11th, 2021
- Chris Berman signs multiyear extension with ESPN - ESPN - May 11th, 2021
- US Nuclear Weapons Systems Facing Risk with Replacements - The Cipher Brief - May 11th, 2021
- Global Nuclear Plant Life Extension Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Areva,CNNC,Rosatom,Westinghouse... - May 11th, 2021
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary 58-Week Results from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial of TransCon PTH in Adult... - May 11th, 2021
- Study finds racial disparities in health care extend to dementia, Alzheimer's treatment - WCPO - May 11th, 2021
- For the 2nd time, Northrop Grumman catches a satellite in Earth orbit - EarthSky - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Biosciences Unveils Positive Results from its Long-Acting Interleukin-31 Antibody PK Study - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Why 'Clean Plate' must only be part of China's war on food waste - just-food.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Up on Study Results - Baystreet.ca - April 23rd, 2021
- Greek life is losing members. Heres why. - Vox.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Russia and China Would Love to See the F-35 Fail. But It Won't. - Heritage.org - April 23rd, 2021
- ProQR Announces Virtual Presentation of Phase 1/2 Sepofarsen Extension Trial Data at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)... - April 23rd, 2021
- Galway Technology Centre hopes for jobs increase with extension - The Irish Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Adagio Therapeutics Announces $336 Million Series C Financing to Support Rapid Advancement of Novel ADG20 Antibody for the Treatment and Prevention of... - April 23rd, 2021
- Consider serving on the Cottonwood Extension Board - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - April 11th, 2021
- Global Probiotics For Weight Management Market Is Thriving Worldwide by 2021-2027 | Top Players VSL, Ortho Molecular Products, Garden of Life The... - April 11th, 2021
- Molecular Partners Shares New Preclinical Data from its AML-Focused CD3 T-Cell Engager Program, CD40 Product Candidate MP0317, and Other Novel... - April 11th, 2021
- Oral & Dental Probiotics Market to Witness Growth Acceleration by Top Key Players Hyperbiotics, Life Extension, Now Foods, Blisprobiotics The... - April 11th, 2021
- Dundee Precious Metals Announces Mine Life Extension and Update to Mineral Resource and Mineral Reserve Estimates for the Chelopech Mine - Yahoo... - March 31st, 2021
- AudioValley Announces the Three-year Extension of Its 5 million Bond Issue With Patronale Life - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Complix and VIB Publish Pioneering Study on Cell-Penetrating Alphabodies in Science Advances - PRNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Magnesium Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | BioEmblem, Life Extension, Thorne, Nested Naturals The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- US nuclear weapons are aging quickly. With few spare parts, how long can they last? - War Is Boring - March 31st, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology Reports Full Year 2020 Financial Results and Business Highlights - BioSpace - March 31st, 2021
- Pfizer's Ibrance, under threat from Novartis and Lilly, leans on real-world data in breast cancer - FiercePharma - March 31st, 2021
- Curcumin Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | Nutra-Life, Source Naturals, Thorne, Life Extension The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- Ferry Flagship Gets the Wight Treatment - The Maritime Executive - March 31st, 2021
- Newly Report on Curcumin Supplement Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2027 | Nutra-Life,Source... - March 31st, 2021
- Lincoln National Weather Service radar expected to be down next few days - CIProud.com - March 31st, 2021
- Astaxanthin Supplements Market 2021 Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2027 | Black Mores, Nutrex Hawaii, Sport Research ... - March 31st, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for the Vessel Life Extension of Canadian Coast Guard Ships Cape Roger and Cygnus - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2021
- Fitzroy Beckford Named Director of UVM Extension | UVM Today - UVM News - March 21st, 2021
- Luria: Navy Should Not Decommission Ships Early in Favor of New Construction - USNI News - USNI News - March 21st, 2021
- Denver company aims to be the AAA of space by cleaning up junk in orbit - The Denver Post - March 21st, 2021
- Camposol will use AgroFresh plant-based coatings on its avocados Produce Blue Book - Produce Blue Book - March 21st, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market to Witness an Astonishing Growth by 2028 Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Molino 4-H Member Falls In Love With An Animal. And A Way Of Life. - NorthEscambia.com - March 21st, 2021
- The U.S. Military's Nuclear Arsenal Is What Keeps Us Safe - The National Interest - March 21st, 2021
- SXSW 2021 Interview: WE ARE AS GODS Directors Jason Sussberg And David Alvarado On The Man Who Wants To Revive The Mammoth - ScreenAnarchy - March 21st, 2021
- Global Gold Exploration Snapshot: Eight companies on the move - The Northern Miner - March 21st, 2021
- The Best Places To Shop For Health Supplements Online - styledemocracy.com - March 21st, 2021
- Parts of the TTC are apparently being held together with duct tape - blogTO - March 21st, 2021
- Global Garlic Extract Supplement Market Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - March 21st, 2021
- SDSU Extension to Cover Dry Cow Therapy in Spanish at CPDE - Yankton Daily Press - March 21st, 2021
- Ludwig Ahgren: The Twitch Livestream Subathon - The New York Times - March 21st, 2021
- Anglo aims at further 10 year life extension of SA iron ore assets; open to consolidation - Mining MX - February 27th, 2021
- Extension welcomes new family life team member who is serving Southern Illinois area - Annanews - February 27th, 2021
- Dr. Andrea Pryce Selected as Operations Manager for the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 27th, 2021
- When are the Braves giving Freddie Freeman an extension? - 11Alive.com WXIA - February 27th, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Global Trends, Emerging Technologies And Growth Analysis , Forecast To 2028 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 27th, 2021
- Springfield National Weather Service radar scheduled outage coming, will last about a week - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - February 27th, 2021
- For Twin Cities power couple and their family, home is an extension of faithful service - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 27th, 2021
- Global Military Aircraft Modernization and Upgrade and Retrofit Markets to 2024: Incorporation of CNS Systems in aircraft and Emergence of SVAB -... - February 27th, 2021
- CH-53K King Stallion Beats CH-47 Chinook To Become Israel's Next Heavy Lift Helicopter - The Drive - February 27th, 2021
- North Sea Veslefrikk field to cease operations - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Actinidia eriantha Polysaccharide and PD1-Antibody Combination Therapy | OTT - Dove Medical Press - February 27th, 2021
- Allicin Supplement Market Insights, SWOT Analysis and Future Growth trend by Players Nature Made, Nature's Bounty, Allimax International, Life... - February 27th, 2021
- Real-Time Communication with Dreaming Person Possible, Says Study | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com - The... - February 22nd, 2021
- Strathclyde secures funding for low carbon SME projects - University of Strathclyde - February 22nd, 2021
- Carlos Correa: Extension talks 'are nowhere right now' with Astros - Houston Chronicle - February 22nd, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Size, Share Production & Consumption Analysis With Forecast To 2028 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 22nd, 2021
- Francisco Lindor open to Mets extension, but talks haven't started: 'I've never been scared of free agency' - Yahoo Sports - February 22nd, 2021
- Opportunity Zone Extension Proposed in the House - Motley Fool - February 22nd, 2021
- Antioxidant Vitamin Market 2029 Competitive Analysis | Vibrant Health, AST R-ALA, GNC, Jarrow Formulas, Life Extension, NOW Foods The Bisouv Network... - February 22nd, 2021
- SAIC Maxus V90 Villa Edition Adds Second Story to the Classic RV - Car and Driver - February 22nd, 2021
- Base Resource's Kwale on track to achieve FY,2021 production - Mining Review - February 22nd, 2021
- Norwegian Army Adding 20 CV90s to Its Fleet - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- NSR Insight: In-Orbit Servicing: Stepping up to the Challenge? SatNews - SatNews Publishers - February 20th, 2021
- 'I love it and Im excited by it' - Cavani revelling in life at Manchester United - Goal.com - February 20th, 2021
- We need to talk about consumption | Greenbiz - GreenBiz - February 20th, 2021
- Edited Transcript of GFIJ.J earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-21 1:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2021
- We should be able to choose when to die cryonics advocate - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Federal government seeks fourth extension to update assisted-dying law - Kamloops This Week - February 20th, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for reconfiguration work on Canadian Coast Guard Ship Sir Wilfred Grenfell - Canada NewsWire - February 20th, 2021
- Time of death? Whenever you decide! Futurist pitches cryopreservation to RT mostly for people with a sense of adventure - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Feds ask court to grant 4th extension to allow passage of assisted dying bill - Global News - February 20th, 2021
- Lockdown extension disappointing - The North Bay Nugget - February 20th, 2021
- Get A New Flavor Of Protein Powder Every Day Thanks To Gainful - msnNOW - February 20th, 2021
- US needs to choose between new ICBMs & nightmare of nuclear deterrence OR meaningful disarmament through arms control - RT - February 20th, 2021