Stuck in quarantine over the summer, 16-year-old Diya Hundiwala felt driven to do something to give back to her Warrington, PA, community in Bucks County.
Given pandemic restrictions, she knew she couldnt be of service in-person, so she started thinking of other ways she could be helpfuland an experience shed just had teaching her grandmother new ways of communicating during the pandemic spurred her on.
When Covid-19 started, my grandmother wanted to learn more and connect with us more, Hundiwala says. After seeing how she quickly adapted to texting and WhatsApp all the way in India, I realized that a lot of other seniors might benefit from overcoming trouble with technology.
A Google search led Hundiwala to discover a group called Teens Teach Technology (TTT), a youth organization that aims to help seniors learn the ins and outs of the internet; teens conduct lessons virtually, from home, while seniors join in from their own home.
Lessons range from setting up social media accounts to using Spotify or Netflix, to spotting scam emails and avoiding computer viruses. And the sessions are taught entirely by tech-savvy high schoolers over Zoom, in collaboration with libraries and nursing homes who spread the word to interested seniors.
Recognizing that there was no Teens Teach Tech chapter in Pennsylvania, Hundiwala decided to launch one in August, with the help of peers at her school, Central Bucks High School South.
Now, the Pennsylvania chapterof which Hundiwala is presidenthas 19 members.
The first chapter of Teens Teach Technology started in New York last March, with the goal of keeping seniors connected to their family and friends despite the limitations posed by the pandemic. It now exists in eight other states, including California, Hawaii, Illinois, Florida, North Carolina, Washington and Texas.
With teaching sessions held over Zoom, students teach seniors across the country; Hundiwala has taught participants in New York, while others in the Pennsylvania chapter have reached seniors in places as far away as Hawaii.
Sophomores Katherine He and Chakrika Aluri do public relations for the group and schedule sessions for libraries and nursing homes across the state. [Katherine] He says she joined TTT because of her desire, like Hundiwalas, to help her community.
During this time when were all so spread apart, its especially difficult for those who dont necessarily have as much of a grasp on technology as younger generations, says Katherine He. We really wanted to help those who are struggling contact their families and friends.
During this time when were all so spread apart, its especially difficult for those who dont necessarily have as much of a grasp on technology as younger generations, she says. We really wanted to help those who are struggling contact their families and friends.
Aluri says that the pandemic made the need for Teens Teach Technologys work feel particularly pressing. I definitely would not have joined something like this or found something like this if it wasnt for Covid, she says. With everything in-person being shut down right now, its especially helpful to do things online.
Central Bucks High School South junior Ellie Perrin says the at-home nature of TTT has been key.
During the pandemic, its been really hard to find volunteer work that you can do from home, and this program offers the opportunity to do a lot, she says. Shes on Teens Teach Technologys social media committee, which involves regularly posting stories, news and updates.
RELATED FROM THE CITIZENPhilly company OneClick.chatstarted by a millennial and a boomertakes on social isolation by providing an easy platform for 50,000 older adults worldwide to connect
The Zoom sessions themselves can consist of one of three different series, each with their own lessons. The first series covers day-to-day technology, which includes lessons on social media, creating a Twitter account, daily applications, how to order food through Doordash, entertainment, setting up a Netflix account.
There is also a series on internet safety, spotting scam emails and scam calls, and a series on Google applications, teaching seniors how to use apps like Google calendar and Google maps.
To date, Teens Teach Technology has drawn instructors exclusively from high school students, but Hundiwala says shed be interested in possibly expanding outreach to include middle school or college students.
Theres a meta-level to the work of Teens Teach Technology, of course: The sessions take place over Zoom, but many seniors who want to participate are not particularly Zoom-savvy. Pivoting in response to that, TTT has added Zoom lessons into their sessions.
And while platforms like Zoom may turn away some would-be participantsseveral of the libraries to which Teens Teach Technology did outreach were unable to attract participantsthere is still widespread demand for the program. Hundiwala says her chapter has booked appointments in Pennsylvania through June. To date, the entire program has reached 213 seniors and counting.
Due to the pandemic, its even more important for these seniors to feel connected, as many are feeling more isolated due to Covid-19 restrictions, which makes a program like TTT helpful by providing a place for both social interaction and education.
And it seems the seniors think so too, as one senior in PA, Maya Jagtiani, sent written feedback after a Teens Teach Technology session saying, Thank you all the Teen Teachers for taking time to arrange this seminar for the older population, that was a great idea and I appreciate their effort very much.
RELATED FROM THE CITIZENThe founder of a community-building storytelling nonprofit explains why now is the time to fight the growing scourge of loneliness in America
At the Gladwyne Library in Lower Merion, library assistant Brian Howe recruited five seniors to show up for sessions throughout October, saying that the cohort was very active and engaged, and interested in possibly attending more events in the future.
Throughout the sessions in which Hundiwala has participated, she felt that being able to educate seniors about technology taught her just as many valuable lessons.
It was a great way to learn to be patient, and learn to cooperate with people who may not be as adaptive to all this new technology that we have, she says. And the most rewarding part was to see how grateful and thankful they were for all of that we taught them.
Read this article:
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021