The final outcome of Division 2 last year was always bound to resemble a game of snakes-and-ladders; Cavan were eyeing promotion but ended up relegated. Cavan went down on a head-to-head with a Clare team, which, with 10 minutes remaining on the same afternoon against Armagh, were on the brink of Division 1 football.
Elation and devastation were suspended in the circumstances. As Roscommons Enda Smith lifted the Division 2 trophy and made a speech to an empty Breffni Park stadium, Cavan hadnt even time to notice, or feel disappointed; they were facing Monaghan seven days later.
Relegation was compounded by the sense that Cavan were hitting a slump at just the wrong time, having lost to Kildare the previous week. On the other hand, there was devil in the detail; Cavans conversion rate against Roscommon was just 41%, but they created 32 scoring chances, and had nine different scorers from play. Cavan scored 0-20 against Kildare.
Cavan needed to refine, polish, and tweak some aspects of their play but, crucially, they were in a much better psychological place than everyone else thought they were for the Monaghan match. This is the game we targeted from the word go, manager Mickey Graham said afterwards. Im not going to lie, its been in the back of our minds all along. And because of that, we probably sacrificed the league and got relegated.
The absence of a qualifier safety net also sharpened Cavans focus. The knockout format is unforgiving, but it can also be liberating. When Cavan were seemingly on the way out of the championship against Monaghan and Down, they threw off the shackles and just went for it.
When youre in the heat of battle and its not going according to plan, you can say: Sure look, we have another crack at this the next day, said Graham. Its a different mentality. In a knockout situation, theres no second chance.
If youre in that position where you can see your season coming to an end, youre saying: Lets give it one hell of a shot.
A knockout football championship was bound to ramp up the pressure, but it also reignited that old do-or-die element of death or glory.
With no second chance, many teams just went bald-headed for glory. In last years provincial championships, 16 games were decided by four points or less. Three matches were the last kick in the second period of extra-time away from going to penalties.
A winter championship made it feel like more of a level playing field, especially when county teams didnt have the same amount of collective training, coaching time or tactical planning they normally would have leading into the championship. That context also left more room for emotion to help compensate for any perceived deficit in class, skill and experience.
Knockout puts a wee bit more pressure on the bigger counties because theyre under pressure to perform, said Graham. It probably brings the so-called weaker counties a wee bit closer too because, when the pressure comes on, the bigger teams are thinking: You know what, we could be gone here. It leaves no room for error.
So much emotional energy and pressure stems from the crowd, but empty grounds also reduced the strain some players may have felt if they were playing in front of a packed stadium. The crowd does greatly add to the electricity of the occasion, but the crowd can equally be emotionally responsive to the oscillating drama unfolding on the field. That can often work against a team, as much as it can for them, especially when a slump on the pitch can make the crowd especially the underdogs feel uneasy.
In turn, that crippling sense of anxiety can often transmit to the players.
There was also the potential for the dynamic to radically change as confidence and momentum grew amongst teams emerging from the pack.
Knockout does heighten the pressure of the games to an extent, says Clares Gary Brennan. But the teams which were successful last year saw the opportunity rather than the threat.
Some of the big shocks naturally came early, but those trends were also evident in the early months of the 2020-21 Premier League when the lower-ranked teams were just going for it. Some of the results were off the charts. After the first four weeks of the Premier League, the scoring rate was the highest in the English top-flight since 1930-31. The number of away wins had also sky-rocketed.
There were a number of different theories for such unpredictability; the lack of supporters made players more relaxed and carefree; the data suggested that pressing the ball was down and that there were more errors leading to goals; it was clearly more relaxed for referees too, which was obvious in the number of penalties awarded to away teams.
Some of the big guns were struggling. Man Citys tally of 12 points from their opening eight games was their worst start to a top-flight campaign since 2008-09. Yet City had the time to mentally and physically reset, and the opportunity to try and figure out where they were going wrong.
Unlike professional soccer teams, especially with fewer league games to prepare for a knockout championship, there will be much less time for inter-county sides to learn, adapt, and recalibrate on the hoof this summer.
Before any previous championship, youd have a full league campaign and then around six weeks of preparation, says Brennan.
You dont have that time now. So, you could come out of the league and not be able to reset. Your year could be over before you know it.
Better weather and games played on faster pitches will also provide a whole different dynamic from last years winter campaign. In some cases, says Brennan, that might widen the gap.
For most counties, the league is invariably the best of their season because its where their realistic ambitions and targets lie. A knockout championship also makes Leinster appear more redundant than ever, which poses a whole new psychological challenge again for every other county in the province.
Every team in Leinster has long accepted their place under Dublins iron rule but at least they had the qualifiers, maybe even a shot at the Super 8s, to build on. But now?
The vast majority of teams never have a hope of winning a provincial title anyway, let alone an All-Ireland, but most elite sport is built on inequality. Many of those players have different goals than winning an All-Ireland, some of which are achievable. Both players and supporters accept there are limits to how far performances can extend beyond a certain threshold. They want to measure themselves against the best. In that context, the result against the big teams isnt always the target.
I always felt we had success when our season wasnt defined on one result, says Brennan. We were looking to build a run of games, to get as far as we could in the championship. Knockout does change that dynamic because there are no qualifiers.
Only one team can win the All-Ireland every year so if your only focus is on that, youre in trouble. Its about where you are, where youre trying to go and what are the steps along the way.
These are unique times but there is also another side to this debate. One of the biggest games in last years championship was the Donegal-Tyrone Ulster quarter-final, which Donegal shaded. Yet everyone had long accepted the perils of playing at the roulette table.
It was disappointing, but I wasnt too annoyed at losing to Donegal, says Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan. Because knockout is what championship should be all about.
The Ulster Championship, though, is incomparable to any other province. Every team there targets a provincial title but for most counties in the other provinces the league has to be their main target because they have long accepted that their championship will only last so long.
In that regard, does a knockout championship just expedite what is inevitably going to happen anyway? With an impending club championship, are a significant number of players happy with a knockout championship now?
I cant speak for those players, says Brennan. But Ive no doubt there would be players in that mindset.
There are numerous strands to this debate, but the failings of a knockout championship are still everywhere. It is certainly no good to footballs middle class of teams just outside the top 10-12. With a truncated league this year, the only way those teams can really build towards something is to try and generate a championship run.
That same potential isnt there now, but every county has had to adapt to the new normal. A knockout championship does create the arena for more drama and intrigue. And more pressure on the bigger teams could facilitate more crazy results.
I think the championship will be unpredictable again, says Brennan. I just hope it wont be very negative with teams setting up defensively by trying not to lose, and then looking to win the game late on. But in any competition where there is no second chance, there is always that opportunity for a few surprises.
Once again, once the ball spins on the roulette wheel, the potential outcome could be a lot more perilous.
- You can read the Irish Examiner's 20-page special publication looking forward to the Allianz Football League and Championship with your Friday edition of the Irish Examiner in stores or from our epaper site.
- How to Stay Entertained in the Comfort of your Home - The African Exponent - May 16th, 2021
- Sticky snacks and taco roulette - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - May 16th, 2021
- Winning Lotto numbers for Saturday May 15, 2021? The results are in: are you holding the winning ticket? - Born2Invest - May 16th, 2021
- American Roulette Game - Free to Play Online Simulator - May 11th, 2021
- American Roulette Simulator Play Online Roulette for Free - May 11th, 2021
- Roulette Odds Guide 2021 Understanding Roulette Payouts - May 11th, 2021
- Play Online Roulette - for Free or Real Money | Roulette 77 ... - May 11th, 2021
- Free Online Roulette Games | Roulette-Simulator.Info - May 11th, 2021
- Free Roulette Online Play Online Roulette Games for Fun - May 11th, 2021
- When did Roulette start and how has it evolved? Film Daily - Film Daily - May 11th, 2021
- Amazon pay roulette answers for May 11th; stand a chance to win Rs 1,000 - Republic World - May 11th, 2021
- TodayTix Announces Acquisition of Broadway Roulette - TicketNews - May 11th, 2021
- "It Was Absurd": Bruins Forward Asham-Moroz Recounts Playing With U18 Gold Medalist - Discoverestevan.com - DiscoverEstevan.com - May 11th, 2021
- The growth of Evolution Gaming Casino - PVP Live - May 11th, 2021
- Best casinos to visit in the US - FTNnews.com - FTNnews.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pragmatic Play and Kaizen Gaming Extend Their Partnership - GamblingNews.com - May 11th, 2021
- Breaking Pick 4 Midday news: we have the winning numbers for today, Tuesday May 11, 2021 - Born2Invest - May 11th, 2021
- Find Out More about the Core Principles of Roulette and Win - India West - April 23rd, 2021
- The Roulette Revolution: from Roly Poly to Virtual Reality - FTNnews.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Are Investors Playing Roulette With Their Retirement? - See It Market - April 23rd, 2021
- Conner Roulette of Misipawistik Cree Nation named to Team Canada - APTN News - April 23rd, 2021
- I've Spent Years Playing Product Roulette, But These 17 Have Won Me Over - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 23rd, 2021
- Views Into the Studios - East Hampton Star - April 23rd, 2021
- Playing Russian roulette with COVID-19: How fatigue, frustration are affecting some mindsets - Global News - April 23rd, 2021
- Top 6 Gambling Destinations in the Czech Republic - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Question of the Day: Should employers give workers paid time off to get their COVID-19 vaccines? - KYMA - April 23rd, 2021
- Legal Sports Betting Could Get To California Sooner Than You Think - Sports Handle - April 23rd, 2021
- Probation for Hanover woman involved in 'Russian roulette' robbery, unlawful restraint - York Dispatch - April 15th, 2021
- On the fence about choosing roulette vs. slots to play online? Here are the main differences - - VENTS Magazine - April 15th, 2021
- Real Dealer Studios CPO Shane Cotter on the Hot, Cinematic Alternative to Live Casino - GamblingNews.com - April 15th, 2021
- Best Online Casinos in 2021: Top 5 Real Money Casino Sites - Blog - The Island Now - April 15th, 2021
- Examining the career of legendary, controversial Frank Miller - Tufts Daily - April 15th, 2021
- Announcement about the partnership of 11ic and Asia Gaming (AG) - India West - April 15th, 2021
- Which casino games are the most popular and why? - Tech Digest - April 15th, 2021
- Five Classic Gambling Tales from the Casino & the Sportsbook - blog.casino.com - April 15th, 2021
- Pragmatic Play Seals Online Slots, Live Casino Deal with White Hat Gaming - Casino News Daily - April 15th, 2021
- WV Online Casino Market Expands With The Launch Of BetRivers - Play WV - April 15th, 2021
- Evolutionary Gaming Group to Expand its Gaming Horizon by Acquiring Big Times Gaming in a Recent Deal - West Island Blog - April 15th, 2021
- 4 Myths about Casinos That Are Simply not true - Wales247 - April 11th, 2021
- 10 Tips To Play Live Roulette To Maximize Your Winnings | Retail News Asia - Retail News Asia - March 31st, 2021
- Why Are the History of New Orleans and Roulette So Intertwined? - Big Easy Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Colombian President Ivn Duque: We have never played roulette with the economy or with social-spending programs - EL PAS in English - March 31st, 2021
- Now is not the time to be normalising sex work for university students - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- CHIEFS BLOG: Recap of the Chiefs' second week of the season with home opener against Seattle, trip to Tri Cities - KREM.com - March 31st, 2021
- Gaming Win Up Slightly in February - KDWN - March 31st, 2021
- Murphy for Governor and NJDSC Announce Key Additions to Campaign and Coordinated Campaign Senior Staff - InsiderNJ - March 31st, 2021
- The Technology Involved in Live Casino - Essex Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Best Online Bingo Sites (2021) The Top 5 Sites We Love - Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Everything you need to know about roulette - - VENTS Magazine - March 18th, 2021
- What Is Richer Spin Roulette? - New Las Vegas Roulette Variation - BestUSCasinos.org - March 18th, 2021
- Are The Odds Fair On Rare Roulette? - Scoop.co.nz - March 18th, 2021
- Ellmount Group announces CasinoRoom.com as first official online casino partner of The Festival in Tallinn - World Casino Directory - March 18th, 2021
- Pennsylvania And Massachusetts Further Relax Gambling Restrictions - CardPlayer.com - March 18th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 19 Twist Is One Of Its Darkest Ever - Screen Rant - March 18th, 2021
- What Do You Need to Know to Be a Roulette Dealer ? | Udaipur News - Udaipur Kiran - March 18th, 2021
- New App: Casino Station Global Ranking - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Evolution becomes part of the Casino777.es family - GlobeNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Why The Walking Dead Fans Are Loving The Latest Episode Of Season 10C - Looper - March 18th, 2021
- You won't find this Roulette in any casino - Sidney Herald Leader - March 16th, 2021
- Inaction leaves world playing Russian roulette with pandemics, say experts - The Guardian - March 16th, 2021
- 'Tuchel roulette' - Chelsea fans react to starting XI to face Leeds United as Pulisic returns - Football.London - March 16th, 2021
- Which casino games have the best chances of winning? - fingerlakes1.com - March 16th, 2021
- The Casino Games of Skills That Give You Edge - UnderScoopFire - March 16th, 2021
- Ratings roulette: Who's holding their breath and who's ready to fire in the ratings? - Radio Today (Aust & NZ) - March 16th, 2021
- Team White Beats Team Blue 3-1 Behind Three Points From Jared Davidson Seattle Thunderbirds - seattlethunderbirds.com - March 16th, 2021
- Around Town: Collection of Antonio's Nut House items set for auction - Palo Alto Online - March 16th, 2021
- 'Mogul Roulette,' Or The Totally Random Destruction Of Local News - wgbh.org - February 25th, 2021
- Find The Best Online Casino In The USA - LA Canyon News - February 25th, 2021
- Playing Russian roulette with restrictions, variants - The Brandon Sun - February 25th, 2021
- Why the 49ers Need to Upgrade at Quarterback - Sports Illustrated - February 25th, 2021
- Why Manchester is the best place in the UK for casinos - About Manchester - February 25th, 2021
- Why Live Roulette is a Better Experience than Digital Roulette - Gameindustry.com - GameIndustry.com - February 21st, 2021
- Online roulette: one of the most sought after games - Explica - February 21st, 2021
- Community news from around the area | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily Times - February 21st, 2021
- The Science In Gambling - EconoTimes - February 21st, 2021
- My beautiful daughter took ketamine and drowned in her bath its become Russian Roulette drug for teens in - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2021
- Windshields smashed, nerves shattered as cars, trucks fling icy snow on highways - WLWT Cincinnati - February 21st, 2021
- The human roulette of vaccination drives - DTNEXT - February 6th, 2021
- 5 Things to Do This Weekend - The New York Times - February 6th, 2021
- From Zim, with Love: The Russian roulette of explosives smuggling - Daily Maverick - February 6th, 2021