Donald Trump has been roundly criticized for calling the virus that causes Covid-19 a "Chinese virus" it has been said that using a term invented by Chinese state media the "Wuhan Virus" is also racist. He is trying to rebut the propaganda and lies of the Chinese government, the Chinese Communist Party which has said via official channels that they think it came from an American serviceman who visited Wuhan China. That it was developed by the US Army to use against China. That is a lie on the order of stating that the Great Leap Forward was a huge success and the Tiananmen Square protest never occurred. It must be rebutted with all available force. However, Asian Americans have suffered "racist" xenophobic and discriminatory attacks because of this. That said, a stern lesson from history shows why we cannot simply concede to the language chosen by the Chinese Communist Party in the name of not being called racist. To criticize this party is to stand up for over one billion Chinese people who cannot dare speak out. According to the Chinese communist party the Tiananmen square massacre never occurred. That is a lie,a huge lie.Compared to that lie a bit of propaganda about a virus is nothing.
Asian Americans, Casualties of a Propaganda Battle.
East Asians are a smaller group here in the US who have a complex relationship to racism. Suffering greatly yet also being thought of as an treated as a "model minority". Accepted in some context yet rejected in others. Thought of as smarter than the other students and so not needing as much help YET being no more able than any other students. As a result, they may struggle latter on in school unless they study hard on their own. This virus has reminded people that both sides of that status are rooted in the idea of Asians as "other" than white. No it is not quite the same as that which was done to Africans the world over. We were as Robin DiAngleo describes it treated as the ultimate racial other. (Chinese and Japanese people got the exclusion acts black people were property.) This makes it hard for some people to see this discrimination for how bad it is even if it does not rise to the level of something like chattel slavery or the holocaust. Yet it is a great evil and can lead to such thing if unchecked.Asian Americans have suffered hundreds of xenophobic attacks in the last few weeks as foolish people think that a virus originating in China means that all Asian people are responsible. Those people are the same kind who when told bleach will kill the virus might drink a cup of bleach.
It is a very real problem that fighting this propaganda battle with the CCP will cause as a casualty suffering for Asian Americans. The blame for that lies on the fools and bigots who firstly cannot see the difference between people from China VS Vietnam VS Japan VS Korea. The same ignorant people, and even many who think themselves enlightened cannot see that the Chinese Communist Party is not of by or for the Chinese people.
The story of the tank man. In 1989 students in Beijing China created a protest camp in Tiananmen square. It started out as mourning a communist party official who had died and evolved in time into a pro-democracy movement. The military was called in once and backed off. Then they came one night with tanks and live ammo and cleared Tiananmen square with deadly force. To this day if you try to discuss it on the internet or in public in the Peoples republic of China you may be disappeared.
The great leap forward was portrayed as a huge success by the CCP. This economic program of Maos lead to approximately 45-50 million deaths due to famine. He had the children of city people shipped to the country to work on collective farms called peoples communes. He had people who lived on the communes try to produce steel in back yard furnaces. Both agricultural production and steel production were lied about. The deaths due to starvation were lied about. Then the whole thing was covered up. Mao was out and free years latter to launch a cultural revolution which would devastate traditional Chinese culture.
Beware of Chinese Communist Party Propaganda Not Random Asian People You Meet.
The Chinese Communist Party whose propaganda has been unwittingly spread by western media and social media is the greatest oppressor of Asian people inside and outside of China in history. They have killed millions via their inability to punish the incompetence of party members including their paramount leaders. They have made criminal their negligence by refusing to acknowledge even that mistakes were made. In the covid-19 situation their same old pattern has repeated.
The largest country by population on Earth is China to hate China is to hate a large fraction of humanity. To love Chinese people is not to love the Chinese government. To equate China or Chinese people with all Asians is ignorant. To attack Asian people in America for a situation that is, at worst, due to the mismanagement of a government they never had anything to do with is criminally stupid.
The only thing worst is to mindlessly parrot the CCP propaganda and to prolong, even slightly, the brutal oppression of over 1.4 Billion people. Including the specific oppression of minorities in Tibet, Uighurs of Xinjiang in concentration camps, and the repression of Falun Gong practitioners. In all cases chiefly for having a cultural identity that is not in lock step with that of the Han Chinese dominated CCP. That is an evil that must be opposed right along with our own domestic racism.
We in the west can and must do both.
Do not believe anything the CCP says about this virus. Do protect the rights and lives of Asian Americans.
More reading on this.
"Coronavirus Is More Fodder for Chinese Propaganda" By Jonah Goldberg, National Review
"Life in China Has Not Returned to Normal, Despite What the Government Says" Charlie Campbell Time.
The Comprehensive Timeline of Chinas COVID-19 Lies By Jim Geragthy, National Review
See more here:
- The myth of the 'model minority' - Los Altos Town Crier - June 24th, 2020
- Trump's move against China for its Uighur oppression makes him look like a hypocrite - NBC News - June 24th, 2020
- Free Markets and Limited Government Reconceived - Niskanen Center - June 24th, 2020
- Trudeaus government has a plan to tackle racism in the RCMP. Experts say it wont work - Global News - June 24th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter is International: Where there is oppression, there will be resistance - Council On Hemispheric Affairs - June 24th, 2020
- Unabated killing in IOK - The Express Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- No Justice, No Peace: Voices of the Young and Outraged - rvamag.com - June 24th, 2020
- I grew up a white Jew in South Africa, so I am joining the fight against racism - The Jewish News of Northern California - June 24th, 2020
- In 15 years, RTI has gone from Indian citizens most powerful tool to an Act on life support - ThePrint - June 24th, 2020
- Public Diplomacy and the Risk of Overmoralizing - The Bulwark - June 24th, 2020
- Rule of law must first be strengthened by people power - Mail and Guardian - June 24th, 2020
- Benton County JP compares masks to burqas and talks about a coup - KARK - June 24th, 2020
- Remove Manu statue from premises of Rajasthan HC: Dalit activist to Sonia - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2020
- 'We have no justice:' Are Native Americans the forgotten victims of police brutality? - Great Falls Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Letter: Wearing masks isn't oppression - The Republic - June 13th, 2020
- Readers Comments: If you oppress a people for too long, they will rise with greater force - Scroll.in - June 13th, 2020
- When tools for a health emergency become tools of oppression - Pursuit - June 13th, 2020
- Kidnapping Of Thai Exile Ignites Protests For Justice - The Organization for World Peace - June 13th, 2020
- Myth: Second Amendment protects individual liberties | TheHill - The Hill - June 13th, 2020
- Lambeth Council orders audit of all borough landmarks for links with slavery, colonialism and oppression of black communities - BrixtonBuzz - June 13th, 2020
- How People Power Strengthens the Rule of Law by Doug Coltart - Project Syndicate - June 13th, 2020
- Let Hongkongers Immigrate to the WestAnd other Victims of Chinese Government Oppression, too - Reason - June 1st, 2020
- Minnesota and Michigan show that we are living in a Hobbesian state of nature - Bryan-College Station Eagle - June 1st, 2020
- Anchorage racism rally pamphlet says 'pigs are enemy of the people' - Must Read Alaska - June 1st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Why I wear a mask and you should, too Agassiz Harrison Observer - Agassiz-Harrison Observer - June 1st, 2020
- An Unfathomable Oppression Meets An Astronomical Resistance: Police Vs. The People - New University - June 1st, 2020
- People protested peacefully -- and things got worse | 48 hills - 48 Hills - June 1st, 2020
- Modi 2.0: Dark clouds have engulfed the nation, writes Sitaram Yechury - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Surveillance takes on many different forms during a pandemic, according to Concordia researcher - The Suburban Newspaper - June 1st, 2020
- Diversity and inclusion officials address police brutality - GW Hatchet - June 1st, 2020
- Why I wear the mask - The Times-Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: The Gated Republic by Shankkar Aiyar - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Jatri Kalyan Samity demands withdrawal of bus fare hike - United News of Bangladesh - June 1st, 2020
- Unmasking Biden's hypocrisy and government control in America - Bayoubuzz - June 1st, 2020
- Mexico's other epidemic: Murdered women - The Conversation US - June 1st, 2020
- Virus apps expose tension between privacy and need for data - Buenos Aires Times - June 1st, 2020
- Why discrimination between blood of a black man and a Kashmiri? - Kashmir Media Service - June 1st, 2020
- UT national security expert: COVID-19 accelerating some global trends, changing the direction of others - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds march in Huntington to protest police brutality, systemic racism - MU The Parthenon - June 1st, 2020
- The history of Puerto Rico shows that nationalism can be liberatory rather than xenophobic - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - June 1st, 2020
- Reply on behalf of the Indian people to the Honble Prime Minister of India - indica News - June 1st, 2020
- Protests against police brutality turn to violence in Albany - Times Union - June 1st, 2020
- Donald Trump, "The Crowd" And A Nation's Bitter Despair - Modern Diplomacy - June 1st, 2020
- Is Civil Disobedience Justified in Defense of the Freedom to Worship? - PanAm Post - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouverites are taking to the streets to speak out against racism amidst deaths of George Floyd, Regis Korchinski-Paquet - Vancouver Is Awesome - June 1st, 2020
- Man's Thoughts of Black Stepson Prompted George Floyd Demonstration in Madison Heights Oakland County Times - Oakland County 115 News - June 1st, 2020
- East Turkistan Government in Exile Applauds US Senate Passing of Uyghur Human Rights Bill - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- D. Dowd Muska: Stay-at-home folks overreacting to COVID-19 protocols - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- SUDDEATH COLUMN: Slow reopening hints at long road to recovery - Evening News and Tribune - May 15th, 2020
- Scotland's lost a great thinker and fighter after Neil Davidson's death - The National - May 15th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Pelosi Sets Marker With Virus Vote - Bloomberg Government - May 15th, 2020
- My Idea Of Socialism - The Shillong Times - May 15th, 2020
- When India Tested a Nuclear Device on Its Citizens - Modern Diplomacy - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus Highlights Tragic, Longstanding Racial Inequity in the U.S. | Opinion - Newsweek - May 15th, 2020
- Letter of the Day | We must develop our human capital - Jamaica Gleaner - May 15th, 2020
- Andrea Circle Bear and six centuries of genocide - Workers World - May 15th, 2020
- The American Way of Life Is Shaping Up to Be a Battleground - The New York Times - May 14th, 2020
- Beijing Hones and Exports Religious Oppression | Opinion - Newsweek - May 14th, 2020
- After coronavirus: Global youth reveal that the social value of art has never mattered more - The Conversation CA - May 14th, 2020
- Telling the truth about China's oppression of Uyghurs MercatorNet - MercatorNet - May 14th, 2020
- A year on, the Christchurch Call must go beyond dont livestream mass murder - The Spinoff - May 14th, 2020
- Iraq's new government in the Iran-US crossfire - World - Al-Ahram Weekly - Ahram Online - May 14th, 2020
- Commentary: Message to Trump, Newsom and Faulconer: 'Please release us from the coronavirus oppression' - The San Diego Union-Tribune - May 14th, 2020
- Turning point: What will be the post-pandemic 'new normal'? - People's World - May 14th, 2020
- Live and Let Die - Cascadia Weekly - May 14th, 2020
- Free power, easy loans: How Uttarakhand is trying to hold back locals who have returned from cities - Scroll.in - May 14th, 2020
- What's Left of the Failed States Debate?: Putting Five Hypotheses to the Test - World - ReliefWeb - May 14th, 2020
- Beating around the bush on the constitutional conundrum - Ethiopia Insight - May 14th, 2020
- LABOUR REFORMS NOT IN SYNC WITH CONSTITUTION Northeast Today - NorthEast Today - May 14th, 2020
- Music helps us remember who we are and how we belong during difficult and traumatic times - The Conversation CA - May 8th, 2020
- Covidspiracy Uncovered: The truth about 5G - Shout Out UK - May 8th, 2020
- Land rights sand castle in a wind storm | - IndigenousX - May 8th, 2020
- [OPINION] Our lack of critical reflection is the real disease in our midst - Rappler - May 8th, 2020
- Ubuntu, privilege and sheer ignorance thrive in the midst of Covid-19 - News24 - May 8th, 2020
- GOP lawsuit to block Tony Evers' order to stay home in hands of Supreme Court - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 7th, 2020
- Chinese oppression 'worse than US reported' - UCAN - May 7th, 2020
- Growing hunger and oppression face urban poor - The Tablet - May 7th, 2020
- A Spotlight on Health Care Disparity During COVID-19 - Drug Topics - May 7th, 2020
- Money Heist: An Exhaustive Review of Alex Pina's New Series - The New Leam - May 7th, 2020
- Andrew Cuomo, The Virus King | 570 WSYR | Bob Lonsberry - KFI AM 640 - May 7th, 2020