Beijing biotech lab Sinogene say they have successfully cloned a genetically-modified dog for medical research, and now plan to use the same technology to create "superdogs" for Chinese police.
The beagle puppy named Longlong, born in May, is a clone of a gene-edited beagle called Apple.
These two dogs are 99.9 per cent the same. We've observed their personality and appearance, even their facial expressions are identical. As you can see they're both very naughty and active. Even the way they walk, how they move around, says Mi Jidong, Sinogene General Manager.
Two other clone puppies Nuonuo and Qiqi followed Longlong in June. All were born from surrogate mothers in the lab.
Apple, the original beagle, was genetically modified last year using a gene-editing tool known as CRISPR/Cas9.
Clone puppies Nuonuo and Qiqi were born in May.
Its been more than 20 years since the first mammal, a sheep named Dolly, was cloned in 1996. Since then other animals, including horses and pigs, have since been cloned. The first dog, however, was only duplicated in 2005.
Dogs are extremely difficult to work with. Some cells are very complex and difficult to clone. Also its extremely hard for a dog embryo to survive in lab conditions, its very vulnerable, explains Mr Mi.
Another reason the cloning of dogs may be more difficult is that the animal is more genetically similar to humans than other animals. Approximately 400 out of 900 genetic illnesses in dogs are similar to human diseases.
Its for this reason that Apple, Longlong and his fellow-clones will be used primarily for medical research.
It's the first step in our future development to delve further into modifying dogs for medical research, says Mr Mi.
Apple was gene-edited to have several times higher levels of blood lipid a trait associated with high cholesterol. Sinogene say theyre cooperating with other labs in China to study gene-based diseases including heart disease and diabetes and develop medicines.
Scientist Mi Jidong plays with Sinogene's cloned puppies from a gene-edited beagle.
But thats not the only focus of the lab. Sinogene will also be using the same gene-editing and cloning technique to create super dogs for the police force as early as next year.
Were also exploring how we can use genetic modification and cloning to improve the specific qualities of different working dogs. For example to improve their stamina, their intelligence to make it easier to train them And also give them a better sense of smell, says Mr Mi.
China currently imports many of its police, search and rescue dogs. Mr Mi believes Sinogenes work could save money and improve the quality of Chinas police dog pack.
But the work has been condemned as cruel by animal welfare groups operating in China.
Cloning has many problems. Large numbers of animals are used as donors and surrogates. But the success rate is very small. So its a huge waste of animal life, says Peter Li, China Policy specialist at Humane Society International, and Associate Professor of East Asian Politics at the University of Houston-Downtown.
He says money would be better spent caring for Chinas millions of unwanted dogs.
I think this super dog work is suspect. Dogs are already very intelligent. We know that cloned dogs have health issues, they dont live long. It is a huge waste of public resources to clone dogs for the police force, says Professor Li.
Beijing-based animal rights activist Mary Peng believes medical testing on animals needs to be better regulated
Animal welfare activist and founder of Chinas first international animal hospital in Beijing, Mary Peng, says she doesnt feel animal medical testing should stop but says labs need to be better regulated. Cloning is really just another form of breeding, says Ms Peng. But I share concerns of how the animals are treated.
She says though China has progressed rapidly in recent years when it comes to the treatment and general attitude towards animals, protective laws lag behind international standards.
China is having the worlds biggest love affair with their pets in the history of the world, she says, but this is all very new, less than 25 years old maybe.
And this experimentation, medical research etc, are also really new industries for China, Ms Peng says. And Im not sure that the laws and regulations about how the animals are treated while theyre in these labs have been fully developed.
But Professor Li says the labs work also raises larger ethical questions. If we see cloned animals as a testing object, I wonder how soon this work will be applied to humans. If we have this level of audacity, this level of recklessness as a standard, then many other test labs will do things that should be stopped.
Sinogene scientist works with dog cells in their Beijing lab
Retired Tsinghua University artificial intelligence and ethics expert Professor Zhao Nanyuan dismisses the criticism of animal rights groups as foreign and irrelevant, saying Chinas scientific progress outweighs the cost.
To see human-animal relations as an ethical question is a concept borrowed from Western religion. In Chinese ethics we dont have this.
He says many in China, like him, will focus on the long-term benefit, rather than the individual treatment of an animal or embryo.
In China we have less problems developing genetically modified technology. Im pretty sure other countries will be behind China when it comes to human genetic research because of their concerns."
Read the rest here:
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - May 11th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet | NHGRI - Genome.gov - May 11th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 11th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Research Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2025 - Express Journal - May 11th, 2020
- Measuring the Impact: Demand for Disk Cloning Imaging Software Product Augmented by Global Outbreak of COVID-330 - 3rd Watch News - May 11th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 29th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Bored of Zoom Meetings? Build a Digital Clone to Attend for You - Voicebot.ai - April 11th, 2020
- Scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep 'in talks over coronavirus treatment' - Metro.co.uk - April 11th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons item cloning exploit lets devious players rake in the Bells - Eurogamer.net - March 24th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2025 - Express Journal - March 24th, 2020
- I would clone my dog and Im not ashamed to admit it - The Guardian - March 5th, 2020
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Novelization Reveals Rey's Father is a Failed Palpatine Clone - /FILM - March 5th, 2020
- Send In The Clones - Escalon Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cheque cloning in Kochi: How north Indian racket scammed banks of Rs 2.6 cr - THE WEEK - March 5th, 2020
- Spy vs Spy: cloned phones, break-ins and rogue agents all in a days work at the State Security central - Daily Maverick - March 5th, 2020
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 6th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 28th, 2019
- The Mandalorian fans think episode 5 ending teases Boba Fettheres why - Polygon - December 13th, 2019
- DNA Embedded Into Everyday Objects Creates Perfect Clones of the Stanford Bunny - Nature World News - December 13th, 2019
- Dead dogs and cats cloned by grieving owners to have a piece of them back' - Daily Star - December 13th, 2019
- Huge Outlay on Voice Cloning Market Growth Analysis and Forecasting with Major Players are Baidu Inc, Google LLC, Lyrebird.ai, iSpeech AG, VivoText... - December 13th, 2019
- Master the art of face swapping with OpenCV and Python by Sylwek Brzczkowski, developer at TrustStamp - Packt Hub - December 13th, 2019
- In the digital age fraudsters dupe AIIMS of 12 crore by cloning cheques and signatures - National Herald - November 30th, 2019
- How The Mandalorian could unravel The Rise of Skywalkers biggest mysteries - Digital Trends - November 30th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker': This 'Mandalorian' Baby Yoda Fan Theory Could Explain Everything - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- When The Mandalorian takes place and what it means for Baby Yoda - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory: 'Mandalorian' cloning could retcon Rey's origins - Inverse - November 17th, 2019
- 'Watchmen': How Lady Trieu May Connect to Ozymandias's Clone Factory - Decider - November 17th, 2019
- The Mandalorian: Did Dr. Pershings patch give away his intentions? - Dork Side of the Force - November 17th, 2019
- Star Wars Theory: The Mandalorians Baby Yoda Is A Clone - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Facebook on the Road to Copy Instagram: Popular Photos in the Making - Digital Information World - November 17th, 2019
- Rick and Morty: Operation Phoenix Is the Universe's Most Dangerous Weapon - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 17th, 2019
- The Star Wars movies debrief: Attack Of The Clones recap, legacy and best bits - Den of Geek UK - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- The Mandalorian Hints at the Return of Kamino Cloning | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 14th, 2019
- Here's a The Mandalorian Clone Theory and What It Could Mean - /FILM - November 14th, 2019
- Voice Cloning Market Industry Insights, Top Trends, Drivers, Growth and Forecast to 2028 - Downey Magazine - November 14th, 2019
- Facebook Tried to Acquire Musical.ly For Six Months In 2016 - Digital Music News - November 14th, 2019
- Is tissue culture the future of growing cannabis? - Leafly - November 14th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over mammoth cloning tech - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- Orphan Black is ending, but how far has human cloning come? - The Verge - August 11th, 2017
- Over 50 Nalasopara residents lose Rs 10 lakh to debit card cloning - Times of India - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists are Getting Closer To Using Pig Organs For Human Transplants - TIME - August 11th, 2017
- Porsche 911-Look Fiat 500 Is Like A Cloning Experiment Gone Wrong - Motor1.com - August 8th, 2017
- VACC warns of number-plate cloning scam, motorists left to prove innocence - CarAdvice - August 8th, 2017
- How to clone a hard drive or SSD - PC Gamer - August 8th, 2017
- A natural gas boom in the Adriatic has created teeming nurseries of self-cloning baby jellyfish - Quartz - August 6th, 2017
- Here's the list of some of the famous living creatures that were patented - Economic Times - August 6th, 2017
- Playing with Fire: Trump's Iran Policy Risks Cloning North Korea - International Policy Digest (press release) (blog) - August 5th, 2017
- Trump's Iran Policy Risks Cloning North Korea - Fair Observer - August 4th, 2017
- That dream bike may not be the bargain you hoped for as the number plates may be cloned - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Cloning, Counterfeiting and Fraud in digital payments what to know to stay safe - Technology Zimbabwe - August 3rd, 2017