In just two decades, China sent people into space, built its own aircraft carrier and developed a stealth fighter jet. Now the worlds youngest superpower is setting out to prove its capabilities once more this time in semiconductors.
At stake is nothing less than the future of the worlds No. 2 economy. Beijings blueprint for chip supremacy is enshrined in a five-year economic vision, set to be unveiled during a summit of top leaders in the capital this week.
Its a multi-layered strategy both pragmatic and ambitious in scope, embracing aspirations to replace pivotal U.S. suppliers and fend off Washington while molding homegrown champions in emergent technologies.
China wants to build a coterie of technology giants that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Intel Corp. and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC), conferring the same priority on that effort as it accorded to building atomic capability.
While the specifics of that endeavor wont emerge for months, comments by government officials, Party mouthpieces like the Peoples Daily and state think tanks provide important clues about the envisioned road map.
The approach entails making do over the next five years or so with aging semiconductors, which are adequate for electric cars and even military applications but cant run advanced smartphones and similar devices. That buys China time to focus on fields like so-called third-generation chipmaking not yet dominated by any particular country, and Beijing hopes to create an array of indigenous giants in areas including machinery, software and new materials.
The ultimate goal is to groom local alternatives to global linchpins like Cadence Inc. and Synopsys Inc. in design software and Europes ASML Holding NV in chipmaking gear.
Semiconductors are a crucial sector in the information era that will lead the future of economic development, Science and Technology Minister Wang Zhigang said at a press conference last week. At the same time, China will strive to achieve self reliance and strengthen our own capabilities.
Chinas efforts have gained urgency because the Biden administration is escalating a battle against what it calls techno-autocracies. That could extend or even expand blacklistings that have banned key transactions with corporations from Huawei Technologies Co. to ByteDance Ltd. and Tencent Holdings Ltd.
To a country that imports $300 billion of chips annually, a worsening global shortage drives home the risk of relying on potentially hostile suppliers for the building blocks of everything from artificial intelligence to sixth-generation networking and autonomous vehicles.
It will take years for local companies to match foreign counterparts in manufacturing and design expertise, during which theres no ready answer to the dominance of Japanese and American names in chipmaking equipment. Companies in China will still only supply 35% of the countrys domestic demand by the end of this decade, IDC analyst Mario Morales estimates.
Theyll also have to contend with Washington. The U.S. signaled it intends to go ahead with a Trump administration-proposed rule to secure the technology supply chain next month, a move that gives the Department of Commerce broad authority to prohibit transactions involving foreign adversaries like China.
Employees work at a factory run by Renesas Semiconductor Co. in Beijing, in May last year. | REUTERS
The United States and its allies should utilize targeted export controls on high-end semiconductor manufacturing equipment to protect existing technical advantages and slow the advancement of Chinas semiconductor industry, the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence, headed up by former Google chairman Eric Schmidt, recommended to Biden and Congress this week.
The situation faced by Huawei, the countrys largest technology firm by revenue, underscores the leverage Washington wields. Once the worlds biggest smartphone-maker, Huawei was forced to sell its Honor division and run at close to minimum production capacity after it lost access to chips from the likes of TSMC under American regulations.
It just stimulates the Chinese community to accelerate their internal developments and eventually they may come out even stronger, said Luc Van den hove, president of the Imec research center in Leuven, Belgium, which focuses on innovation in semiconductor technology. And I think thats certainly a risk of trying to keep the two worlds further apart.
Beijing had set aside at the start of its last five-year plan around 1 trillion yuan ($155 billion) for potential investment in semiconductors over five to 10 years, according to McKinsey. It will now continue to bankroll research and investment in coming years, Wang said last week. That should galvanize the much larger influx of private capital needed to produce genuine breakthroughs.
Its an approach thats worked before for the internet, where a mix of government and private capital helped build the likes of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. and ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing Inc. In February, the state-backed Global Times reported smartphone-makers Xiaomi Corp. and Oppo had acquired stakes in Jiangsu Changjing Electronics Technology Co., exemplifying the sort of private-sector involvement Beijings counting on.
When it comes to the chips, we will see more support relative to private firms, because they play a bigger role in those sectors, said Wendy Leutert, GLP-Ming Z. Mei Chair of Chinese Economics and Trade at Indiana University.
In the meantime, up-and-comers such as Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. (SMIC) and Tsinghua Unigroup can help tide the country over a deficit of mobile processors, memory and telecom modules should Washington close off supply routes.
They will mainly operate mature processes of 14 nanometers and older, sufficient for all but the most exacting applications such as smartphones, high-performance computing and graphics processors. Meanwhile, global leader TSMC is ramping up for mass production of 3 nm chips in 2022, about five or six generations ahead.
At the same time, theyll act as focal points for the countrys most capable brains to work on stop-gap measures such as advanced packaging that can improve chip computing power in the absence of more sophisticated U.S. technology. The hope is that such fine-tuning will buy time for the homegrown development of advanced technologies, such as in 7-nanometer chips and silicon design software.
A man visits a booth operated by Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. (SMIC) at an exhibition in Shanghai in October. | REUTERS
Some of the key local players in that space include Shanghai Micro Electronics Equipment Co. and Naura Technology Group Co., who are working on equipment that can someday replace ASMLs extreme ultra-violet lithography or EUV machines a prerequisite for any advanced chipmaking.
Local startups like Empyrean are trying to replicate the similarly indispensable software tools licensed by Synopsys and Cadence, employed by most of the worlds chip designers from Intel on down. Even in the commoditized realm of memory, a subsidiary of state-backed Tsinghua Unigroup is spending billions on mass production to challenge Samsung Electronics Co. and Micron Technology Inc.
President Xi Jinping has pledged an estimated $1.4 trillion through 2025 for technologies ranging from wireless networks to AI. A big chunk of that is geared toward semiconductors.
Chinese firms such as Tsinghua will be responsible for building half the worlds 30-odd new fabrication plants, or fabs, in the next two years alone. Its already spending 2.4 times more than the U.S. on semiconductor equipment, much of it made by American companies, Morales wrote in a report.
The bet is that Chinas corporations will be able to compete if they accelerate research into burgeoning, adjacent fields like AI and quantum computing now.
Thats where third-generation chips come in. Those are mainly made of materials such as silicon carbide and gallium nitride, can operate at high frequency and in higher power and temperature environments, and have broad applications in fifth-generation radio frequency chips, military-grade radar and electric vehicles.
The country may secure first-mover advantage, even if traditional silicon-based semiconductors will continue to account for the vast majority of global use for the foreseeable future, Citigroup analysts have said.
U.S.-based Cree Inc. and Japans Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd. are just beginning to grow such business, while Chinese rivals such as Sanan Optoelectronics Co. and state-owned China Electronics Technology Group Corp. have made inroads.
The countrys other chipmakers, which include SMIC, Will Semiconductor Ltd. and National Silicon Industry Group Co., benefit more broadly from the state support.
The investment commitment that China is making ensures that the Chinese semiconductor ecosystem will continue to play an important role in the progress of our industry and the overall IT market, said IDCs Morales.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021