Councillors unanimously rejected a large housing scheme targeting the Chester floodplain.
Ospitium 4 wanted to build 140 terraced houses and 140 apartments for rent on farmland off Clifton Drive, near Blacon, together with a new public park, childrens nursery, estate managers office and flood defence measures.
There were also plans for geothermal heating, bicycle and car parking, a footbridge, new accesses created by demolishing four houses fronting Sealand Road plus junction improvements.
But members at Cheshire West and Chester Council's planning committee followed the planning officers recommendation in refusing the scheme, known as Ogilvie Park, due to constraints including flood risk and loss of green space.
Andy Scargill, chairman of Friends of North Chester Greenbelt, addressed the meeting on the question of flooding.
He said: The applicants want to build their houses on top of huge concrete tubes to allow the water to flow up and down when such a catastrophe occurs. The Environment Agency said this wouldnt protect gardens, estate roads and cars so they would recommend that people in the houses, should they be built, drive their vehicles to the top of the Blacon escarpment to avoid the flood waters.
This is a nonsense, you couldnt make it up.
If it was the case that there was insufficient land within the Chester area to provide for new homes then there may be an argument for building on unsuitable land. Your Local Plan clearly identifies category 1 land by Wrexham Road which is more than adequate for Chesters future needs, currently an application has been lodged to build 1,400 houses.
Patrick Davies, for the applicant, said: Ogilvie Park provides much needed housing within a managed private-public park , 280 apartments and houses 80% private rental sector and 20% affordable private rental sector.
He said the project was in line with current thinking about the need to combat the UK housing crisis.
Mr Davies added: Ogilvie Park provides flood defences to protect 1,200 existing properties, up to 2,000 new homes and circa 50,000 square metres of potential commercial floor space which could be located on CWaC-owned land and other landowners.
He claimed the scheme was wholeheartedly backed by the Environment Agency.
Mr Davies said the ecological information provided by the council was based on a 1993 UK-wide report compiled by flying over the area with no samples of flora taken. He added: The proposal will create what the survey thought it had detected, planted grassland and enlarged hedgerow habitat to create opportunities for the existing water voles and encourage wider bio-diversity.
Blacon ward councillor Carol Gahan was concerned at building on high risk floodplain leaving new residents with an insurance and personal risk. The site had been ruled as unsuitable when the council drew up its Local Plan. She claimed the flood defences relied on a manually operated system which she felt was reckless.
There would be a loss of green space and wildlife in an area identified as deprived. And Cllr Gahan said Clifton Drive would be turned into a major thoroughfare even though it was just a country lane. Residents on Sealand Road would be overpowered by the housing at the rear with increased traffic at the front. She feared the impact on health and community services of another 1,000 residents.
Moving refusal, Cllr Eleanor Johnson said: We are told that this application is ambitious but I say I find the design to be utilitarian. I was going to say Eastern bloc but I was told I couldnt say that! It reminds me more of something like you see on television built around Chernobyl and I think we have moved forward from that. We want something people want to live in.
To her, building on the floodplain was unthinkable and she could not go against any of the seven reasons offered by the planning officer as reasons for refusal.
Continue reading here:
- Heres Why Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Must Use Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - March 24th, 2020
- Man who went to see son play in band caught drink-driving on way home - LeaderLive - March 24th, 2020
- Man stabbed 56 times tells court his friend attacked him on night he's 'living over and over' - North Wales Live - March 5th, 2020
- 26 Sustainability efforts of the fashion industry in February 2020 - FashionUnited UK - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the kind-hearted truck driver who has helped feed Wrexham's homeless every week for years - LeaderLive - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the sponsor: Sealand Pacific Seafood Trading - Caterer Middle East - March 2nd, 2020
- Reporter takes to the skies: Qualicum Beach flight school now up and running - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - March 2nd, 2020
- Photographer from Deeside on 'cloud nine' with accolade - LeaderLive - February 27th, 2020
- China firms in $10 billion share sale rush as funding rules eased amid virus worries - Reuters - February 27th, 2020
- The Lunar New Year's most talked-about watches - High Horology Journal - February 27th, 2020
- Christmas saved in Sealand as Santa will be coming to the town - LeaderLive - November 30th, 2019
- Rare images of Chester FC's Sealand Road home after it's closure in 1990 - Cheshire Live - October 31st, 2019
- Major police incident on Sealand Road as Texaco garage was shut off to public - Cheshire Live - October 27th, 2019
- Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Will Have To Spend Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - October 27th, 2019
- Bloodied stab victim collapsed on Texaco garage floor while the other 'bought beer and energy drinks' - Daily Post - October 27th, 2019
- Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone's grandfather clock six auction highlights that caught bidders' eyes in... - October 27th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 20th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Wales247 - October 20th, 2019
- Land and whole farms launched as supply improves in Wales - FarmersWeekly - August 18th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - The Chester Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - LeaderLive - August 14th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Other Events - Market Exclusive - August 13th, 2017
- What You Must Know About Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited's (LSE:SCGL) Major Investors - Simply Wall St - August 10th, 2017
- Sealand Capital Galaxy Ltd (SCGL) Is Yet to See Trading Action on Aug 9 - Herald KS - August 9th, 2017
- sealand | eBay - August 3rd, 2017
- Chaiken Money Flow For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Above Zero - Stock Rover - August 3rd, 2017
- Zeroing in on Yesterday's High: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - August 3rd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Mesa Moving Average Climbs Above FAMA - JCTY News - August 2nd, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)? - Rockville Register - August 1st, 2017
- Late night shopping scheme in Chester sees Park & Ride services extended - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Ichimoku Reveals Negative Momentum - Rockville Register - July 29th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited (SCGL.L)? - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand ... - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 26th, 2017
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 22nd, 2017
- Sealand - Wikitravel - July 22nd, 2017
- Range Rover invasion at Chester supermarket site - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Pushes Higher 37.14% - DARC News - July 20th, 2017
- WATCH: New Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 19th, 2017
- Students create app to improve post-stroke care - USC News - July 18th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) is a Volume Leader - Nelson Research - July 13th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - July 9th, 2017
- Neighborhood Notes: the first week of July - Mission Local - July 8th, 2017
- Maersk ransomware attack may hit 'tens of thousands' of shippers, warns analyst - The Loadstar - June 30th, 2017
- Independence Day 2017 SeaLand & Port Schedule - American Journal of Transportation - June 28th, 2017
- Pivot Points in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - June 22nd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving -40.00% in Session - BVN - June 17th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- sealand toilet | eBay - June 15th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- Inquiry date for Chester flood plain homes plan - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - June 14th, 2017
- How Are Analysts Interpreting Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)'s Relative Strength? - Nelson Research - June 8th, 2017
- Malawi govt over paid farm input suppliers by K61billion - Nyasa Times - June 6th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Benton Bulletin - June 3rd, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 1st, 2017
- Registered sex offender from Sealand jailed over downloading indecent images - LeaderLive - May 30th, 2017
- Active Runner in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - The Times - May 30th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Melville Review - May 26th, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for "chaotic" management - Reuters - May 23rd, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for 'chaotic' management - Yahoo Finance UK - May 23rd, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Concord Register - May 23rd, 2017
- Tale of the Ticker: Orthometrix Inc (OMRX), Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving on Volume - Stock Talker - May 23rd, 2017
- Just the Fundamentals: Checking in on Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - May 18th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Needle Moving 44.23% - The Standard - May 18th, 2017
- Can Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Continue its Near-Term Run? - Union Trade Journal - May 18th, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Pearson Press - May 17th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Needle Moving on Volume - DARC News - May 13th, 2017
- Home SEC Filings Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Unregistered Sales of Equity... - Market Exclusive - May 11th, 2017
- HISTORY: 15 old pictures from the Principality of Sealand - Harwich and Manningtree Standard - May 6th, 2017
- SeaLand: Canada Freight Forwarders eManifest Guidelines - American Journal of Transportation - May 4th, 2017
- A Successful Business Transformation from Defence Stalwart to F-35 Global Assignee, DECA Sealand - Business News Wales - May 2nd, 2017
- HISTORY: 15 old pictures from the Principality of Sealand - Gazette - April 30th, 2017
- BRIEF-Sealand Securities' Q1 net profit down 33.5 pct y/y - Reuters - April 28th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Morgan Research - April 28th, 2017
- Lords of Sealand Releases New Single - Motion - The Deli Magazine National (blog) - April 23rd, 2017
- Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf launch garden club - LeaderLive - April 12th, 2017
- Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf launch garden club - News North Wales - April 10th, 2017
- Gardening club launch at Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf - Deeside.com - April 10th, 2017
- Speed camera on Sealand Road "worth it if it saves a life" - LeaderLive - April 3rd, 2017