Article by Kelly Bothum Photo and video by Ashley Barnas December 12, 2019
Women account for 55 percent of the athletic trainers worldwide, but they are still relatively rare in the National Football League. During the 2019 season, just eight of the 32 teams have a female athletic trainer only two more than last season.
In the future, students like University of Delaware athletic training majors Erin Finley and Jordan Del Bianco could help the NFL bolster its female ranks. The two seniors were among seven UD students interning for NFL teams during the summer of 2019, getting an inside look at what athletic trainers in the NFL do on a daily basis.
Finley interned with the Los Angeles Rams during their training camp while Del Bianco spent her summer with the New York Jets.
Its incredible to be part of a revolution of women in the NFL. Its empowering to work with women and be collaborating as a team, said Del Bianco, who was among five women working on the Jets athletic training staff during her internship. The experience is hard to put into words. Its really amazing to be a part of something so much bigger than yourself.
Finley traveled to Los Angeles in July and spent training camp with the team, even participating in preseason games. She quickly learned her internship would be more than just watching the team from the sidelines. Though the days were long many stretching 12 hours the opportunities were plenty.
I thought we would be setting up the field, which we did. But we were also responsible for the day-to-day tasks to keep the place going, said Finley, who works with the womens basketball team at UD. We also got to get involved with the rehab with the players and the taping and the things they needed during practice.
Like Finley, Del Bianco was surprised interns were fully integrated as a key part of the training staff. She and the other interns handled player treatments before and after daily practices and preseason games. Del Bianco said her previous experience working with UDs football team served her well while she was with the Jets.
I was definitely a leader in some aspects, taking charge whenever things needed to be done because I had football experience last fall, said Del Bianco. Some of the interns didnt have football experience so I was kind of helping them along with what to expect. I definitely felt like UD prepared me well.
Although plenty of UD athletic training students have interned in the NFL over the years, it wasnt until 2017 that one of the students was a woman. For a program that with such a strong female presence the athletic training Class of 2014 was all women it was perplexing, said Thomas Kaminski, director of the Athletic Training Education Program, part of the Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology in the College of Health Sciences.
Breaking through that was difficult, Kaminski said. In every other setting, female athletic trainers are thriving the collegiate setting, high school setting, clinical setting but for some reason professional football was really hard to crack.
Megan OHanlon was the first female UD student to intern in the NFL. She spent eight weeks with the Buffalo Bills in 2017. The next year, Courtney DeFeo spent the summer interning with the Los Angeles Chargers.
Being an intern trainer with an NFL team is not for the faint of heart, said Kaminski said. He should know Kaminski interned with the Buffalo Bills in 1983 while a student.
Its a lot of long hours, its tedious hard work, but again, the exposure they get to a professional athletic trainer and physical therapist is really second to none, he said. They see a lot, they are able to interact with those professionals and with the professional athletes who are at the highest level and really hone their skill set.
Although Del Bianco enjoyed her time interning in the NFL, she intends to pursue a career in alternative medicine after graduation. Her goal is to use her athletic training foundation as part of a holistic approach to treatment.
For Finley, the summer experience with the Rams sparked an interest in working fulltime in the NFL. She is applying for a year-long intern position with the Rams after graduation that would last the duration of the NFL season.
Its honestly so nice seeing female athletic trainers working in the NFL. Even a few years ago, it wasnt as common, Finley said. Its great to see that is a possibility and know I was part of that.
Read more from the original source:
- Over 60% Of Americans Want Health Insurers To Cover Alternative Medicine InsuranceNewsNet - Insurance News Net - June 24th, 2021
- More Kiwis Turning To Alternative Therapies - Data | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - June 24th, 2021
- ProSomnus Sleep Technologies Effective Sleep Apnea Treatment Alternative to PAP Therapy - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2021
- 5 Impressive Herbs That Help Balance your Hormones - Healthline - June 24th, 2021
- Rheumatoid arthritis in the hip: Symptoms and management - Medical News Today - June 24th, 2021
- Integrative Health or Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights Arab Yoga Foundation (AYF), Soul Warrior, Sukoun,... - June 24th, 2021
- Why Is the Intellectual Dark Web Suddenly Hyping an Unproven COVID Treatment? - VICE - June 24th, 2021
- Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Herbal Hills, Helio USA, Deepure Plus, Nordic Naturals, Pure... - June 24th, 2021
- Brazil Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 The Manomet Current -... - June 24th, 2021
- Medtronic Receives FDA Expanded Approval for Arctic Front Family of Cardiac Cryoablation Catheters for Initial Use for Recurrent Symptomatic... - June 24th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market: Business Opportunities, Current - Business-newsupdate.com - June 24th, 2021
- Oncologists, Breast Cancer Patients Differ on Alternative Therapies - WebMD - June 20th, 2021
- What Are the Homeopathic Remedies for Ganglion Cysts? - Healthline - June 20th, 2021
- Covid stress: People turning to alternative therapies - Telangana Today - June 20th, 2021
- Headache pressure points on the feet: Pictures and science - Medical News Today - June 20th, 2021
- Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market 2021 Global Demand and Emerging Trends by 2028- Columbia Nutritional Inc., Herb Pharma, Herbal Hills ... - June 20th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra: Stress No 1 epidemic in our society pandemic an opportunity to reinvent body and soul - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2021
- Immune system dysfunction and cannabis use linked to psychosis - Health Europa - June 20th, 2021
- Integrative Health or Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Is Thriving Worldwide with Aura Wellness, Intouch Clinic, Landmark Fitness Clark... - June 20th, 2021
- Yoga, a healthy activity for over 5000 years - Omniscience - June 20th, 2021
- Indian doctors protest herbal treatments being touted for COVID-19 - National Geographic - June 6th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra did LSD for the first time in a Harvard lab and felt his consciousness shift while staring at a photo of Mother Teresa - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2021
- Efficacy of traditional medicine to combat Covid-19 pandemic - ETHealthworld.com - June 6th, 2021
- Glasgow University bows to pressure and removes name of billionaire donors accused over US drugs catastrophe - The Sunday Post - June 6th, 2021
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Given After Surgery Reduced the Risk of Disease Recurrence or Death by 32% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in... - June 6th, 2021
- New Antipsychotic That Causes Less Weight Gain Gets FDA Approval - Everyday Health - June 6th, 2021
- 10 Pros And Cons Of Alternative Medicine Is Contemporary ... - June 2nd, 2021
- The Truth About Alternative Medical Treatments - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicine Pros and Cons - Alternative Health ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Find out what works - Mayo Clinic - June 2nd, 2021
- Top 100 Alternative Medicine Blogs and Websites in 2021 - June 2nd, 2021
- HISTORY OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE - The Complete Herbal Guide - June 2nd, 2021
- 21 Best Health And Alternative Medicine Websites - Must ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Benefits of Alternative Medicine - Everglades University - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Different techniques, one goal ... - June 2nd, 2021
- What are Popular Career Options in Alternative Medicine? - June 2nd, 2021
- Medicare slow to respond to seniors' increasing interest in alternative medicine - MedCity News - June 2nd, 2021
- Defining Complementary and Alternative Medicine ... - June 2nd, 2021
- A revolutionary gene therapy is bringing hope to UK parents - but it comes with a steep price tag - Euronews - June 2nd, 2021
- Texas veteran and state representative advocate for psychedelic therapy to treat veterans with PTSD - CBS19.tv KYTX - June 2nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Nordic Naturals, Helio USA, Yoga Tree, Pure Encapsulations, Inc KSU | The... - June 2nd, 2021
- Loncastuximab Tesirine Provides Alternative for Broad Range of Patients With DLBCL - OncLive - June 2nd, 2021
- The Mouth-Body Connection: This Dentist Is Breaking Down The Wall Between Medicine And Dentistry - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- 'Good' Bacteria Show Promise for Clinical Treatment of Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - June 2nd, 2021
- Overview of Alternative Medicine Market by Recent Opportunities, Growth Size, Regional Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market by Size, Key Players, Regional Trends and Growth Trends with Forecast 2021 to 2026 Sports Talk Line LLC... - June 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19: Meet doctor who developed cost-effective inhalation therapy - The Siasat Daily - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is Reiki And How Does It Work? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Natural Xanax Alternatives - Over the Counter Pills for Anxiety and Stress - L.A. Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- What Lies Beneath: The Sorcerer's Apprentice and... : Emergency Medicine News - LWW Journals - June 2nd, 2021
- Telangana faces severe shortage of drug to treat black fungus infection - The News Minute - June 2nd, 2021
- Mind Scanners dev Malte Burup on forcing a game design onto a concept, the psychotherapy of the 1800s, and the player's struggle to become a hero -... - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicines Market: Increase in Inclination Toward Safe and Lesser Side Effects Boosts the Global Market KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - June 2nd, 2021
- Biologic Therapeutics Market Trends and Future Growth Opportunities Analysis Report - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Are supplements and alternative therapies all theyre cracked up to be? - Starts at 60 - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market | What Will The Industry Size & The Growth Rate Be in 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 22nd, 2021
- Adult acne: Causes, treatment, and prevention - Medical News Today - May 22nd, 2021
- Village in India turns to alternative medicine amid COVID-19 pandemic - SABC News - May 22nd, 2021
- TransMedia Group to Introduce Integrity Health Corp's Western Medicine Alternatives to Achieve Longer Lifespan with Improved Health Span - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Is Veterinary Acupuncture Right for Your Pet? Here's what you need to know. - NBC 6 South Florida - May 22nd, 2021
- Bonus Offered for Early Registration of Medical Cannabis Patient Cards - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - May 22nd, 2021
- Doctor, Doctor: Alternative Education and Career Paths in the Medical Field - eLearningInside News - May 22nd, 2021
- Updated Report of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Deepak Chopra says he wants to bring awareness to psychedelics as a potential source of mind-body healing - CNBC - May 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market - Increasing Demand of Personalized Medicines and the Advancements in Technology Drive the Market | TMR Research Study -... - May 22nd, 2021
- Lamar Odom Reborn: New Documentary Follows NBA Athlete's Journey to Beat Addiction and Anxiety Through the Use of Psychedelic Medicines - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 Featuring Key Innovators Such as JCR Pharmaceuticals, NuVasive, Medipost, Vericel, and Avantor - Market to... - May 22nd, 2021
- Sonu Sood asks why are doctors recommending unavailable medicines to patients: 'How will a common man get them?' - Hindustan Times - May 22nd, 2021
- electroCore, Inc. Celebrates Veterans and Active Members of the Military During National Military Appreciation Month - Business Wire - May 22nd, 2021
- Jess Ainscough was Australias first alternative medicine influencer. Her story ended tragically. - Mamamia - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Popular Trends & Technological Advancements To Watch Out For Near Future with COVID-19 Impact... - April 27th, 2021
- The Superiority Of Alternative Medicine: The Life Of A Hotel Doctor | By Mike Oppenheim Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - April 27th, 2021
- Balancing Integrative and Conventional Approaches to Dermatologic Care - MD Magazine - April 27th, 2021
- ESIC Medical College and Hospital, Faridabad announces Positive Results of a clinical study evaluating Nisarga Herbs' Neem Capsules for Prevention of... - April 27th, 2021
- The 7 Incredible Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Dates - The Beet - April 27th, 2021
- With a third of its capital deployed, Risk & Return is transforming how we think about emergency response - TechCrunch - April 27th, 2021
- Just like Ministers, MLAs and bureaucrats, boost your immunity with this alternative medicine - Asianet Newsable - April 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Information: Can nebuliser be used as an alternative to oxygen cylinder and concentrator? Know here - Jagran English - April 27th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size, Demand, Growth Innovation, Trends, Region, Forecasts to 2026 | Baidyanath, Patanjali, Himalya Herbals,... - April 27th, 2021
- Riociguat May Be Useful Alternative to PDE5i Therapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension - Pulmonology Advisor - April 27th, 2021