Humans are the reproductive organs of technology.
- Kevin Kelly, What Technology Wants
...and if CES 2020 was anything to go by, humans across the globe have been hard at it, before giving birth to some extraordinary tech (as featured) in the Nevada desert.
Technology is a weird thing to celebrate. Actually, to celebrate technology is ultimately to celebrate humans and human ability. CES 2020 was the absolute in such a celebration, a holographic window into the magic we can build when we come together.
Of course, collaborations have always been the fuel of technological progress, and there have been incredible examples of this in previous years at CES, but this year the onus seemed to be on perhaps the greatest collaboration: the symbiosis of human and machine.
Such symbiosis enables human thoughts to play Duck Hunt and unpick visual number codes onscreen using a mind-blowing brain-computer interface from NextMind, where the future of neurotechnology is seemingly happening now.
Similarly, Virtual Touch means that touch is no longer required for interactive digital screens when using next-gen gesture control from V-Touch. A further example is next level AI-powered avatars in the form of Artificial Humans from the Samsung STARLabs Neon project, which were both impressive and slightly unnerving.
STAR Labs' CEO Pranav Mistry said Neons will integrate with our world and serve as new links to a better future, a world where 'humans are humans' and 'machines are humane', and suddenly the world felt a little like Black Mirror.
But perhaps the most exciting aspect of this expo was the clear agenda for taking this symbiosis, making it aesthetically pleasing and using it for good.
(It was a shame however that the event itself didnt have a similar ethos: I saw no recycling units, lots of single use plastic, no alternative power charge up sources, etc etc. With Elon Musks announcement perhaps a few low-tech-but-highly-usable recycling bins can also be rolled out?)
The purpose behind tech
There were too many examples of purpose-driven tech to mention every one, but some of the highlights were: the Vision AVTR - a beautiful visualisation of the Mercedes-Benz concept car dream of 2039 (launched by James Cameron himself at the start of the week) built by MB and the design team behind the Avatar movie. Theyve created a vehicle inspired by the relationship between humans, technology and the natural world - mirroring the same premise as the Pandora/Navi concept; the car only responds to the drivers heartbeat and breathing pattern, has recycled interiors, organic battery technology, a projection to replace the dashboard, and was essentially utterly magical.
Toyota launched plans for its hydrogen-powered Woven City; a living lab for understanding a true smart city and the requisite infrastructure and technologies needed to build a harmonious and sustainable human habitat. And this isnt just an abstract dream - earth will be broken on the site (at the foot of Mount Fuji) in 2021 - and applications for residency are open!
Honda and its innovation incubator (Xcelerator) showcased the Skelex ergo-skeleton, a mechanised wearable skeleton that provides support and structure to limbs (and gives an additional 4kg power per arm, so essentially gives you superhero powers).
Samsung, LG, and General Electric all showcased impressive examples of indoor LED farming solutions; setting out a firm vision of reducing food imports and thus carbon emissions in a future where we can grow our own produce in the home using aeroponics, hydroponics and soil.
And our world of OOH technology has an opportunity and an obligation to follow suit and be better for everyone. We need to imagine more ways, better ways to incorporate technologies into our public space infrastructure by collaborating with different disciplines to ensure more sustainable, more creative, and more useful outdoor advertising.
AR suggests multiple uses in this space, radar/lidar/sonar has a potential role to play, visual technologies such as volumetrics/eye sensing light field display/holographics can operate with a low cost energy solution, kinetic energy conversion and pollution eating algae should be commonplace, living formats are under-utilised, and so on and so forth. The opportunities are as endless as the possibilities.
But we can only get there with meaningful tech collaborations. And lots of big dreaming.
So, thanks CES, for the inspiration. And the jetlag. And the blisters. See you next time.
// Featured in this article
Posterscope is the worlds leading out-of-home and location marketing specialist with billings in excess of $3 billion. It knows more about what people think, feel and do out of the home and transla...
Read this article:
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 8th, 2020
- Image Recognition Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 5th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics in VAR Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|Delaney Secure, Neurotechnology, 360... - July 5th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Ana - News by aeresearch - July 5th, 2020
- Technological Advancements in Automatic Speech Recognition Software Market to boost Revenues Through COVID-19 Crisis Phase and Forecast to 2029 - NJ... - July 5th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market IN COVID-19: IMPLICATIONS AND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH GLOBALLY - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Neurotechnology Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 1st, 2020
- Neuroverse BrainStation System Featured as the Brain-based Sleep Monitoring Solution in a YouTube Originals Series to Promote Sleep Awareness -... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Analysis 2019-2025 Emerging Trends, Growth Drivers, Challengers, Services, Competitive Landscape and Regional Outlook &... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Market Share, Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- VTB Bank to launch research centre in Russia with Skolkovo Foundation - Verdict - May 27th, 2020
- Neurotechnology tops FVC-onGoing biometric test results with fingerprint recognition tech - Biometric Update - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 Cole Reports - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Will Elon Musk's Neuralink Shape the Future of Humanity? - Oxford Student - May 23rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Global Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Smell cameras built to detect explosives on planes - The Nation - May 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk Really Is A Huge Gearhead (These Facts Prove It) - TheThings - May 11th, 2020
- Airbus working on sensors that can detect coronavirus - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - May 11th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market Analysis, Size, Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - Herald Writeup - May 11th, 2020
- Navigating the New Normal With COVID-19: 12 Essential Actions Executives Need To Take Right Now - OPEN MINDS - April 18th, 2020
- Discover How to Easily Teach Neuroscience to Your Kids - Thrive Global - April 18th, 2020
- CHIME: How Yale's Engineers and Doctors are Innovating to Combat COVID-19 - Yale News - April 18th, 2020
- The Coronavirus is Driving the 1st World Headlong into The Fourth Industrial Revolution - Live Trading News - April 18th, 2020
- The Global Face Recognition Market is expected to grow from USD 3,546.56 Million in 2019 to USD 9,992.35 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - April 18th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Forecast with Top Companies, Growth Factors, Classification, Regional Analysis, Development Factors and Bedding Fabrics... - March 31st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Skyline... - March 31st, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Discover How Increased Adoption of Among Developing Economies Offers A Major Opportunity in Industry - Skyline Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- Stryker to participate in Cowen 40th Annual Health Care Conference - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- Non-fiction reviews: One Blade of Grass and three other titles - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk promises to have the Neuralink brain chip in a human this year - Inceptive Mind - February 9th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q4 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- United States Air Force Plans to "Aim High" Leveraging the Science of Neuroplasticity - Yahoo Finance - January 26th, 2020
- MarketsandMarkets forecasts the global facial recognition market size to grow from USD 3.2 billion in 2019 to USD 7.0 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of... - January 26th, 2020
- Wearable technology drives Phoenix to be leader in innovation - AZ Big Media - January 26th, 2020
- Eli Lilly's Acquisition Strategy, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - January 26th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 26th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 26th, 2019
- Neurotechnology firm partners two care facilities with eye movement platform - Med-Tech Innovation - December 13th, 2019
- SyncThinks eye-tracking helps monitor brain health and concussion risk - VentureBeat - December 12th, 2019
- These were the 15 best CEOs of 2019 - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Worldwide Facial Recognition Market Latest Research By Business Expansion Plans, Industry Demand Status & Forecast 2028 - Tech News Today - December 12th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Could this back-pain device end need for opioids? - The Columbus Dispatch - August 20th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017
- Team Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 30th, 2017
- Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) and Uroplasty (UPI) Financial Survey - Stock Observer - July 29th, 2017
- Tufts Hosts Engineering Conference - Tufts Now - July 28th, 2017
- Stryker reports 6.1% Q2 growth, installs 26 Mako systems: 7 things ... - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - July 28th, 2017
- Arshya Vahabzadeh: Innovating at the Intersection of Brain, Behavior, and Technology - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Capstone Asset Management Company Has Boosted By $555078 Its Raytheon Co (RTN) Holding, Stryker (SYK)'s ... - Herald KS - July 26th, 2017
- Trivascular Technologies (TRIV) & Stryker Corporation (SYK) Critical Review - Stock Observer - July 26th, 2017
- fMRI, EEG Tests May Detect Consciousness in Severe TBI Patients - PsychCentral.com - July 24th, 2017
- BRAIN center gathers to ponder future, direction - Arizona State University - July 20th, 2017
- Preserving the Right to Cognitive Liberty - Scientific American - July 19th, 2017
- Comparing Uroplasty (UPI) and Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - July 18th, 2017
- Insider Activity Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - Highlight Press - July 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology: 5 braincomputer interface innovations - Red Bull - Red Bull - July 12th, 2017
- DARPA invests further in neurotechnology - SD Times - SDTimes.com - July 11th, 2017
- Infinitely Flexible 3D Printing with Ultrasonic Manipulation? - ENGINEERING.com - July 11th, 2017
- HIRREM Neurotechnology Better Than Placebo for Insomnia - Sleep Review - July 10th, 2017
- What is NIT? Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 5th, 2017
- Mind-blowing ultrasonic 'printer' uses lasers and high-frequency sound to assemble electronics - Digital Trends - July 1st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Explains Ultrasonic Manipulation in 3D Printing - 3DPrint.com - June 30th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Develops 3D Printing Method with Non-Contact Ultrasonic Manipulation Technology - 3DPrint.com - June 26th, 2017
- Neurotechnology makes a number of updates to the MegaMatcher product line - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- Neurotechnology adds face recognition, tracking to video surveillance systems; researchers win competition - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- SentiVeillance Server - Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - Officer.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Brain data, neurotechnology and education | code acts in ... - June 21st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces SentiVeillance Server Facial Recognition Solution - findBIOMETRICS - June 21st, 2017