ROME (ChurchMilitant.com) - Cardinal Raymond Burke is warning that the Amazon Synod isn't about local evangelization in the Amazonbut aboutrevolution inthe wholeChurch.
During an interview with Italian media published Monday, the former head of the Vatican's highest court is decrying the"dishonest attitude" in masking the true nature ofthe synod.
"The Synod is presented as being for the pastoral care of the people to be evangelized in the Amazon, but the German bishops state clearly that the goal is to revolutionize the whole Church," relates Burke. "Even the bishop of Essen, Monsignor Franz-Josef Overbeck,said very recently that after the Amazon Synod 'nothing will ever be the same again'in the Church."
Burke's words are supported by similar remarks from the Vatican's head liturgist, Cdl. Robert Sarah. In an interview also published on Monday, Sarah remarkedthatusingthe synod as a "laboratory for the universal Church" would be "dishonest and misleading."
"To take advantage of a particular synod to introduce these ideological projects would be an unworthy manipulation, a dishonest deception, an insult to God, who leads his Church and entrusts him with his plan of salvation," assertedSarah.
He exclaimed, "I am shocked and outraged that the spiritual distress of the poor in the Amazon is being used as a pretext" to support such projects as ordaining married men, creating women's ministries and giving jurisdiction to laypeople.
Asked duringMonday's interview about the synod's emphasis on "appreciating different cultures and religions," Burke warned that thisapproach is alwaysineffective and maycause a missionary to lose his faith.
"If a missionary starts with the sole intention of appreciating whatever culture he finds,then we can be sure there will be no evangelization, it's more likely that these missionaries will end up losing their faith," cautioned Burke.
"We are in a profound crisis," related Burke, when asked why he andBp. Athanasius Schneider of Astana, Kazakhstan, on Tuesdayissuedan appeal for prayer and fasting. They did sowith the intention that the heresies in the synod's preparatory document called the Instrumentum Laboris would be rejected.
"According to the profoundly mistaken view of the Instrumentum Laboris, Christ and the cosmos are one and God also reveals himself in other circumstances. This view is closely connected to pantheism. Therefore it is a cult of the natural world," Burke clarified.
When asked about the apparent"decline in vocations," Burke revealed thatthose pushing the so-called "new Church" are turning away vocations in order to justify the ordination ofmarried men.
"Those who are promoting a 'new Church'do not want vocations, they discourage them in order to justify their own position which attacks celibacy," asserted Burke. "It is no coincidence that the religious institutes, perhaps with young congregations and many vocations, are the ones being particularly targeted at the moment."
Vocations still exist, said Burke, but what is lacking in many places is "an apostolate for vocations and prayer for vocations."
Celibacy that's being attacked by the synod, explained Burke, actually freesapriest to give himself completely to God and to fully live out hispriesthood. At the same time, he discounted the falsehood that evangelization is best done by simply "doing good and being good."
The priest is called to celebrate the Eucharist, to offer himself as victim for the salvation of souls, to give himself totally to Christ. This is what is essential, all the other priestly activities teaching, assisting the faithful in difficulty, charitable work, even the defence of the Indians are a consequence and even if they were unsuccessful, this would not take anything away from the ministry.
Have a news tip? Submit news to our tip line.
The rest is here:
Cdl. Burke: Revolution Is the Goal - Church Militant
- Parramatta Laity Make Their Voices Heard in Dispute With Their Bishop - National Catholic Register - May 14th, 2021
- Matthew Wong Ink Works, Never Before Exhibited, Will Alight in New York - ARTnews - April 19th, 2021
- Double Blind by Edward St Aubyn review in pursuit of knowledge - The Guardian - March 31st, 2021
- How to Sound Like a Catholic When You Talk About Ashes and Death - National Catholic Register - February 25th, 2021
- The consolation of philosophy during Covid darkness - Offaly Express - February 25th, 2021
- What Is This 'QAnon' Thing They're Talking About? - Calbuzz - February 21st, 2021
- Manifestations of Higher Meaning: On Dana Gioia's The Catholic Writer Today and Studying with Miss Bishop - Los Angeles Review of Books -... - February 10th, 2021
- Arts Pantheon - The Daily Star - January 17th, 2021
- Christmas and the birth of truth on earth - TheCable - January 1st, 2021
- Pantheism | Definition of Pantheism by Merriam-Webster - November 29th, 2020
- No writer was better suited to chronicle the Depression than John Steinbeck - Spectator.co.uk - November 29th, 2020
- A world of mysticism and spirituality - Times of Malta - November 29th, 2020
- WHAT IS 'SPIRITUALITY OF PLACE'? | Bret Thoman - Patheos - November 29th, 2020
- Do Not Offend the Gods: 8 SFF Books Featuring Deities - tor.com - October 7th, 2020
- Religion, Non-Reductive and Saturated, Gains Respect in Post-Modern Academic World - Patheos - May 29th, 2020
- What's the difference between pandemic and epidemic? - ChicagoNow - March 31st, 2020
- Porfiry Ivanov: what Stalin said the main freak of the USSR - International Law Lawyer News - March 24th, 2020
- World Pantheism Revering the Universe, Caring for Nature ... - March 5th, 2020
- Freeman Dyson: The Passing of an Iconoclastic Physicist - Discovery Institute - March 5th, 2020
- Pantheism | Britannica - February 27th, 2020
- Dan McCaslin: Nature and Shallowing the Mind - Noozhawk - January 28th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 18th, 2020
- Tagore and Iqbal - Daily Times - December 26th, 2019
- The Adventurous Lectionary The First Sunday of Christmas December 29, 2019 - Patheos - December 18th, 2019
- Ross Douthat: What will happen to conservative Catholicism? - The Register-Guard - November 12th, 2019
- Liberation theology never went away. It morphed into liberation ecology. - Catholic Citizens of Illinois - November 12th, 2019
- Iqbal: The Metaphysics and The Reconstruction- Part I - The News International - November 12th, 2019
- How to properly use righteous anger about the Amazon Synod - Lifesite - November 12th, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE: Catholic priest defends burning Pachamama effigy as within law of God - Lifesite - November 12th, 2019
- Ah, to spend some time in the great outdoors - Idaho State Journal - October 27th, 2019
- The Big Bang! - Chron.com - October 27th, 2019
- Catholicism has a stronger view of creation than both eco-religion and materialism - Catholic Herald Online - October 27th, 2019
- Faithful Catholics Throw Amazonian Idols Displayed in the Vatican into the Tiber River - PJ Media - October 27th, 2019
- Lay Faithful to Gather in Rome to Pray for the Church on Eve of Amazon Synod - National Catholic Register - October 2nd, 2019
- Dennis Andrew from Poole says 'I am Druid' - Somerset Live - August 25th, 2017
- Unitarian Universalism and Pantheism World Pantheism - August 13th, 2017
- Gratitude So Burdensome? - First Things - August 11th, 2017
- Staying power: a poet's place in God's agenda - National Catholic Reporter - August 10th, 2017
- This World as Philosophically Necessary - Patheos (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- About | Pantheism.com - August 6th, 2017
- Star Wars' religious imagery is more than just coincidence - Catholic Herald Online (blog) - August 5th, 2017
- Senryu pries open 'The Jaws of Life' to explore death on latest ... - Maryville Daily Times - August 3rd, 2017
- Is Your Christian Worldview Cohesive? - Cape May County Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- 'Heretics!' Illustrates the Contentiousness Surrounding Philosophy - PopMatters - August 1st, 2017
- Mendelssohn's philosophy, Mendelssohn's grandchildren - The Jerusalem Post - August 1st, 2017
- Why Dina Nath Batra wants Tagore, Urdu, Mughals removed from school books - DailyO - July 25th, 2017
- A Critical Look At A New Sefer: Alternative Medicine in Halachah - Yeshiva World News - July 20th, 2017
- Hindu-Americans Don't Vote Republican - The American Conservative - July 10th, 2017
- Nelsons Leads Tanglewood Resurrection - The Boston Musical Intelligencer - July 8th, 2017
- 20 Options on God (Find Yours Here) - Patheos (blog) - July 8th, 2017
- Should Tyler Cowen Believe in God? - New York Times (blog) - July 7th, 2017
- Hinman's ABEAN Argument Part 3: More Objections - Patheos (blog) - July 7th, 2017
- Pantheism | Philosophy Talk - July 5th, 2017
- A Modern Day Inquisition: Rabbi Joseph Dweck - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - July 3rd, 2017
- The Universe Is the Mind of God - The Costa Rican Times - June 29th, 2017
- On religion: Being aware of our connectivity to God and each other - The Intelligencer - June 29th, 2017
- New Names for Old Gods - Patheos (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- Views | Pantheism.com - June 26th, 2017
- This Former MTV Icon Found Inner Peace Through Islam - HuffPost - June 24th, 2017
- Who were the authors of the so-called Gnostic gospels, and what did they believe? - Aleteia EN - June 24th, 2017
- How Scotland inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Scotsman - June 15th, 2017
- My Turn: Respecting Mother - Concord Monitor - June 15th, 2017
- Seven Things Evil Is Not: What the Death of My Son Taught Me - ChristianityToday.com - June 8th, 2017
- 'Sgt. Pepper's' Turns 50: The Newsweek Review of The Beatles' Masterpiece - Newsweek - June 1st, 2017
- Rishe Groner - Tablet Magazine - May 23rd, 2017
- Escape into the wild with Maasthi Gudi- The New Indian Express - The New Indian Express - May 13th, 2017
- Dunphy: The growls of empty stomachs - Alton Telegraph - May 9th, 2017
- Opposed to Catholicism - Church Militant - May 6th, 2017
- In response to Tim Martin, God exists - Eureka Times Standard - May 4th, 2017
- A war of opposites: Rubbishing Hinduism's eclectic nature, Hindutva treats any expression of dissent as sedition - Times of India (blog) - May 2nd, 2017
- Why I Had To Make a Clean Break With Christianity - Patheos - Patheos (blog) - April 27th, 2017
- Hitler Was Not a Christian - Splice Today - April 15th, 2017
- Winter is coming; help me turn yarn into warmth - Port Huron Times Herald - April 12th, 2017
- Families leave thousands of cremated remains behind - Bellingen Courier Sun - April 12th, 2017
- Hinduism vs Hindutva: The search for an ideology in times of cow politics - Hindustan Times - April 10th, 2017
- Adventists appeal court ruling on Kellogg Sabbath accommodation case - Adventist News Network - April 7th, 2017
- Composer Theofanidis unconvincing as theologian in Atlanta Symphony's Creation/Creator - Washington Classical Review - April 3rd, 2017
- Families leave thousands of cremated remains behind - The Sydney Morning Herald - April 2nd, 2017
- Need to propagate Sufism in its right context: Dr Qasim - Kashmir Reader - March 31st, 2017
- Why Sacrifices? - Algemeiner - March 31st, 2017