Her moving portrayal of Casualty's nurse Duffys battle with dementia has touched millions, but actress Cathy Shipton may have done too good a job.
Cathy, who bows out this week after 33 years playing Lisa Duffin in Casualty, was approached at a telly event by an organiser, who assumed she really had dementia.
The 62-year-old recalls: I was at the National Television Awards last year and got split up from our group.
When was looking for my lot, one of the organisers came up and I think they thought dementia! because she said in a sympathetic voice: Are you OK? Have you lost your friends?
I felt like saying its a character! I can see my friends at the bar! so I do have to go out of my way to say to people its a character and not me!
Cathy, in the pilot episode in 1986, will still be a healer when she leaves the medical drama, but in real life.
She is a big fan of homeopathy and complimentary medicine and is such a dab hand at dishing out advice she jokingly calls herself Witchy-Poo.
She says: I had a total hip replacement and went through it with a whole series of remedies and they were astonished at my recovery. I was on stage within six weeks.
I took Arnica for internal and external bruising you take it pre and post-surgery - and I have a homeopath who prescribes. Shes also an orthodox GP.
When my mum was 89, someone fell on her and crushed her pelvis. The doctors wouldnt operate because of her age, so my homeopath suggested Arnica and Symphytum, which is actually Comfrey.
Comfrey was used in the Battle of Agincourt on broken bones. You make a poultice of it its called the bone knitter. Mum was walking within two weeks.
I remember when my daughter was a baby, her nappy rash disappeared overnight with Chamomile.
I prefer the phrase complimentary medicine, rather than alternative medicine, as it compliments orthodox medicine.
Ive had consultants tell me they have patients who wont go through surgery unless they can use complimentary medicines. One said to me: I have to say it seemed like their recovery was markedly quicker.
Cathy, also a fan of acupuncture and acupressure, is even related to a white witch.
Cathy says: My mother was one of seven children. Weve a family tree and Im related to Old Mother Shipton. People say there is something a bit Witchy Poo about me!
Old Mother Shipton, A 15th century fortune teller, lived in a cave in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.
She made potions and remedies as well as predicting the future.
Cathy laves Casualty on Saturday, two years after Duffy was diagnosed with young onset dementia.
Of the 850,000 with dementia in the UK, approximately 42,000 have young onset dementia, which affects those under age 65.
Viewers have seen Duffy forced to quit her beloved nursing job and in recent weeks her husband Charlie has struggled to cope.
Cathy says: Its a dramatic storyline, but it has been incredibly respectful to the character and to the subject, its a moving and beautiful farewell.
Although she is proud of the storyline, Cathy hopes it will not prove distressing viewing for families who have been touched by dementia.
Im at great pains to point out Duffys deterioration is quite rapid, she explains.
I dont want anyone who is dealing with dementia to assume what happens to Duffy happens to everyone.
To prepare for the storyline Cathy read last years best-selling book Somebody I Used to Know, written by Wendy Mitchell, a former NHS worker who was diagnosed with young onset dementia, aged 58.
She also spoke to the charity Dementia UK, but she turned down the offer of meeting people with the condition. I thought; its Duffys journey I cant graft on another persons life.
Over the years Cathy briefly left Casualty four times, but it pulled her back. In a way, what draws the audience back, is similar to what draws me back. Its the shows values.
Not surprisingly the role has left her with deep respect for the NHS. One of the things Ive learnt is what tremendous pressure theyre under, she says.
Duffy represents someone in a public service and thats important to me. I feel a responsibility to the nursing profession the nurses doing it for real are unsung heroes..
Cathy lives in West London with her partner, actor Christopher Guard - they met on the set of Casualty - and their student daughter Tallulah, 18. Cathy now is looking forward to new roles.
She said: I want to play a lunatic monster in Doctor Who, a homeless woman, someone in a period drama, or a character in A Discovery of Witches.
She added: When Casualty started we just did half a year, 12 episodes. The amount now seems to occupy your whole life.
In a way thats counter to being an actor, because theres part of you that just wants to face the next challenge.
Although Duffys exit is heart-breaking, Cathy loved filming it.
She explains: Her storyline became quite a dominant issue and I was challenged. The last dozen episodes was like playing a different character, because she was going through so many changes.
See the article here:
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 with Business Overview and Manufacturers Profiles till 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 17th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market To Register Phenomenal Growth and Competitive Outlook 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 17th, 2021
- Meet the scientist who defeated 'the world's worst bacteria' to save her husbands life - BBC Focus Magazine - January 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Shaking up the Tribune's columnist roster | Opinion - Lewiston Morning Tribune - January 17th, 2021
- Strange brew medical weed cooking in Thailand - Asia Times - January 17th, 2021
- Naltrexone and Bupropion Promising Combo for Meth Addiction - Medscape - January 17th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Pacific... - January 17th, 2021
- Foo Fighters' "Waiting On A War" l 'Medicine At Midnight' l - Alternative Press - January 17th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Application 2020, Drive System, Structure, Type, Product and Region Global Forecast to 2026 - The... - January 17th, 2021
- COVID denialism and the Alberta context - CBC.ca - January 17th, 2021
- Coimbatores hydroponic farm delivers fresh greens within three hours of harvest - The Hindu - January 17th, 2021
- Chronic opioid use may worsen the pain of social rejection - Medical News Today - January 17th, 2021
- Budget 2021 expectations: Need for allocating funds to health and wellness sector visible from COVID experience - The Financial Express - January 17th, 2021
- Charles accused of never listening to scientists as heir launches radical eco-initiative - Express - January 17th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status And Application Forecast To 2027 - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Alternative Medicine Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Medigenics, Herb Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Intervention, Distribution Channel and Region -... - January 5th, 2021
- Another arrest for Malachi Love-Robinson, Palm Beach County teen who posed as doctor, went to prison - Palm Beach Post - January 5th, 2021
- 4Cable TV International, Inc. Announces Acquisition of Healthcare and Wellness Clinics of America, LLC and Corporation Clinic, LLC as the Retail Arms... - January 5th, 2021
- Founder's broken spine inspired therapy tech device - BusinessCloud - January 5th, 2021
- Putnam & Smith Publishing Company Announces Release of a New Book, the Ovarian Chronicles: Expectations * Heartache * Resilience by Author Cat... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Homeopathy Products Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Product, Application, Source, and Region. - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Cannabis and Pain Management: Is Alternative Plant Medicine Becoming the New Norm? - Green Entrepreneur - December 30th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Size 2021| Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details for Business Development and Forecast to 2027 -... - December 30th, 2020
- Europe AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market 2021 Strategic Outlook of trends, CAGR, Key players, etc - NeighborWebSJ - December 30th, 2020
- 1933 Industries announces launch of a new e-commerce website for its Canna Hemp brand - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 30th, 2020
- Astounding growth in Complementary and Alternative Medicines Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.4% over the forecast period (2019 2027),... - December 30th, 2020
- Subsidised acupuncture therapy for lower back, neck pain - The Straits Times - December 30th, 2020
- OPINION: Colorful words overemphasize the obvious - Arkansas Online - December 30th, 2020
- 'Early Diagnosis and Treatment Pivotal to Keep IBD at Bay' - eHealth Magazine - Elets - December 30th, 2020
- Chiesi Global Rare Diseases Announces First Patient Treated in Expanded Access Program for Pegunigalsidase Alfa for Proposed Treatment of Fabry... - December 30th, 2020
- YEARENDER: Five red flags to look out for in COVID-19 vaccine misinformation - Vera Files - Vera Files - December 30th, 2020
- Patients with lower back, neck pain to get subsidised acupuncture treatment under pilot programme - The Straits Times - December 30th, 2020
- Dept pushing for cannabis use in Thai traditional medicines - Bangkok Post - December 30th, 2020
- Trevena, Inc. Announces Three OLINVYK Presentations at the Virtual American Society of Anesthesiologists 2020 Annual Meeting - BioSpace - October 5th, 2020
- Managing headache with a tiered approach - Contemporary Pediatrics - October 5th, 2020
- Alternative Ways To Calm Yourself Without Taking Medicine - KHTS Radio - October 5th, 2020
- Cannabis influencers: Hes the right person at the top delivering for N.J. patients - NJ.com - October 5th, 2020
- Alternative Medicines and Therapies Market Emerging Trends and Strong Application Scope by 2025 | Weleda, Cipla, Sante Verte Lab, Sandoz International... - October 5th, 2020
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Baidyanath, Himalya Herbals,... - October 5th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments - Crypto... - October 5th, 2020
- Nutraceuticals: From Alternative to Mainstream - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2020
- Trick or treat - THE WEEK - September 18th, 2020
- This yoga instructor is fighting the rise of QAnon in the wellness community - CBC.ca - September 18th, 2020
- OK, Whiner - I, Anonymous Blog - The Portland Mercury - September 18th, 2020
- Calvin Johnson Is About to Open Up His 1st Business Since Retiring From the NFL - Sportscasting - September 18th, 2020
- Testing the deceased could provide additional surveillance methods during pandemic - Michigan Medicine - September 18th, 2020
- Censured Galway priest throws in the towel - Connacht Tribune Group - September 18th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine Market is projected to experience substantial growth in the next few years - BioSpace - September 18th, 2020
- Thoppur hospital gives alternative treatment - The Hindu - June 20th, 2020
- Rifampin viable as an alternative to isoniazid treatment for latent tuberculosis - 2 Minute Medicine - June 20th, 2020
- Keytruda receives second biomarker-based indication from FDA, regardless of tumor type - The Cancer Letter - June 20th, 2020
- What Is Ashwagandha? | HowStuffWorks - HowStuffWorks - June 20th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market To 2027 Receive Overwhelming Hike In Revenues | Nordic Naturals, Nature's Bounty, Unity Woods Yoga... - June 20th, 2020
- Does lucid dreaming work? How I tried to fix bad dreams brought on by the coronavirus age - USA TODAY - June 20th, 2020
- One doctor found herself on the front lines of the battle against misinformation | Opinion - Tennessean - June 20th, 2020
- Twelve Outstanding Grads To Be Recognized at Virtual Commencement - SF State News - June 20th, 2020
- Long-time nurse who worked for Sheikh Zayed continues to serve in UAE's COVID-19 fight - Gulf News - June 20th, 2020
- Sales Revenue of Chiropractic Medicine to escalate in the Coming Years Owing to Changes in Market Dynamics During COVID 19 Pandemic - Owned - June 20th, 2020
- Reiki that - how some Americans use alternative medicine to deal with stress - Yahoo News - June 13th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market to Witness Columbia Nutritional, Herb Pharm, Herbal Hills, Helio USA,... - June 13th, 2020
- Alternative APOE Gene Variants Associated with Different Diseases of Aging - JD Supra - June 13th, 2020
- Is it Time to Introduce Homeopathy and Alternative Medicines to Fight against Covid-19? - thepolicytimes.com - June 13th, 2020
- Easing of Covid-19 restrictions: More UAE residents explore alternative immunity boosters - Khaleej Times - June 13th, 2020
- Now what? The imminent dangers and emerging opportunities for physicians - Medical Economics - June 13th, 2020
- For Retail Landlords, Time to Look Beyond Gyms to Wellness - ConnectCRE - June 13th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 -... - June 13th, 2020
- Johns Hopkins will pause development of a police department for at least two years - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - June 13th, 2020
- The surprising medical history of vibrators - Fast Company - June 13th, 2020
- Kemris Zedupex herbal drug to treat Covid-19 awaits final nod - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - June 13th, 2020
- A Place To Heal Wellness Center | Alternative Medicine - Fountain Hills Times - June 13th, 2020
- Why we should not treat all conspiracy theories the same - The Conversation UK - June 13th, 2020
- This doctors insight on treating the pandemic with cannabis - The GrowthOp - June 13th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Growth Powered with Latest Development Scenario and Influencing Trends by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 6th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative approaches to dealing with coronavirus - Himalayan Times - June 6th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's RECARBRIO (imipenem, cilastatin, and relebactam) for the Treatment of Adults with Hospital-Acquired and Ventilator-Associated... - June 6th, 2020
- Funding for alternative medicine businesses on the rise around the globe - EconoTimes - June 6th, 2020
- Explained: The debate over homoeopathic drug Arsenicum album 30 - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020