For 45 moves today, Magnus Carlsen played a model "Carlsen" game in the Sinquefield Cup. Getting little from the opening, he created complex positional problems and was rewarded with subtle errors from Maxime Vachier-Lagrave. However, as the engines began crowing about advantages as high as +4, Carlsen erred, immediately allowing a resourceful Vachier-Lagrave to get back into the game and then to claim the advantage.
Headline photo: Lennart Ootes, Grand Chess Tour.
Despite fierce resistance from Carlsen, Vachier-Lagrave claimed the full point. This swing reintroduces questions about Carlsen's status as the world number-one. He has a 10-point edge over Fabiano Caruana who is currently second (in Saint Louis and on 2700chess.com), but there is a real possibility that continued tribulations could allow Caruana to overtake Carlsen in Saint Louis. Meanwhile Vachier-Lagrave is leading the tournament and is only a fraction of a point shy of re-crossing 2800.
The day's other winner was Ian Nepomniachtchi who won surprisingly quickly against Hikaru Nakamura.
For now, here are the games. Check back tomorrow for quotes, analysis, and more.
2017 Sinquefield Cup | Round 4 Standings
Here is the original post:
- Lennart Ootes: "Chess is a sport and sport is emotion" - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2019
- Fifty years ago, it was Boris Spassky's turn to shine at the chessboard - Washington Times - October 16th, 2019
- What Can You Do with Continuous Intelligence? - RTInsights - October 16th, 2019
- How logic games have advanced AI thinking - ComputerWeekly.com - August 6th, 2017
- Ford Daytona Notes and Quotes - 13abc Action News - July 4th, 2017
- Calendar of events for June 29 and beyond - Ocala - June 29th, 2017
- Free Chess Engine recommendation? - Chess Forums - Chess.com - June 22nd, 2017
- ET Recommendations: Get Google Daydream View for Rs 6499 - Economic Times - June 18th, 2017
- Worry about people, not jobs: Garry Kasparov - Economic Times - June 17th, 2017
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution Is About Empowering People, Not The Rise Of The Machines - Forbes - June 16th, 2017
- Ditmas Park's City Council Candidates Debate Major Issues - BKLYNER - June 16th, 2017
- Literature, Films on Chess Captivates Enthusiasts - High on Sports (blog) - June 14th, 2017
- Landry: 5 takeaways from the first week of pre-season - CFL.ca - June 12th, 2017
- Carlsen-Nakamura Norway Clash Ends In Draw - Chess.com - June 8th, 2017
- Rouhani should play chess where Trump is playing the fool - Trend News Agency - June 8th, 2017
- Detonation; Enthusiastic Racing - TruckTrend Network - June 8th, 2017
- New Star Trek VR Game Really Is Like Manning Your Own Starfleet Vessel - Kotaku Australia - June 1st, 2017
- Download free chess engines - Komodo 10, Houdini - May 30th, 2017
- chess set - Hackaday - May 30th, 2017
- Final Frontier Friday: 'Q Who' - Science Fiction - May 13th, 2017
- Garry Kasparov's next move: teaming up with machines - Toronto Star - May 11th, 2017
- Russia's richest billionaire Alexei Mordashov's incredible 40million Lady M 'super yacht' dwarfs fishing boats as ... - The Sun - May 11th, 2017
- Chess notes - The Boston Globe - May 8th, 2017
- Complete mastery: Gaylord Perry's durable legacy - Kitsap Sun - May 8th, 2017
- Chess Engines list @wiki - Computer Chess Wiki - May 3rd, 2017
- Top Chess Engine Championship - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2017
- Chess - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2017