For brands who want to connect with Caribbean Hispanics in the U.S., baseball could represent the right platform to start a long-term consumer-brand relationship. Nearly one-third of all major league players are Latinos, including those born in Latin America and within the 50 U.S. states. The Dominican Republic has the highest number of players in the big leagues.
Once upon a time, on May 9, 1871, Estevan Enrique Steve Belln debuted as the first Latin American born individual to play professional baseball in the U.S.A. He played as a third baseman for the Troy Haymakers in New York. About 200 years later, nearly one-third of all major league players are first or second-generation Latinos.
According to the Major League Baseball (MLB), the Dominican Republic has the highest number of international players in the big leagues, with 102 players during Opening Day in 2019. Second in the ranking is Venezuela, with 68 players, and Cuba comes in third with 19 players. Baseball receives the most attention in Caribbean countries, even more than soccer, Augusto Romano, CEO at Digo Hispanic Media, tells Portada.
First, Digo noticed Caribbean Hispanics are a niche market with particular needs, separate from the general Hispanic market. Then, the U.S Hispanic audience network figured how to reach about five million Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Dominicans who are concentrated on the east coast of the U.S. However, Romano has a new strategy in mind: Get to them through baseball!
Born from the union of the two largest media groups in the Caribbean, GFR Media from Puerto Rico and Grupo Corripio from the Dominican Republic, Digos audience has shown a special interest in how Caribbean-born baseball players are developing within MLB. We write stories about the playersin a culturally relevant manner, starting with their origins, something the mainstream media doesnt do. This allows U.S. Hispanic fans to follow players from their country of origin on our premium sites, says Romano. Nevertheless, it seems brands are still missing out on the opportunity.
According to Josh Rawitch, Sr. Vice President, Content & Communications for the Arizona Diamondbacks, since last year, the MLB has been working on promoting individual players.This is an important shift in the leagues marketing strategy where traditionally entire teams were promoted.
The league is smart enough to let these players be who they are, Rawitch tells Portada. Therefore we are letting their personalities show a little bit more.
Most of Arizona Diamondbacks fans come from Mexico and Venezuela. However, the team also recognizes the importance of its Caribbean followers. The star, pitcher Yoan Lopez, for example, is from Cuba.
Concerning Puerto Rican players, Esteban Pagn, sports editor at GFR Media, believes that even though Puerto Rico has produced four island born hall of famers, and they have always been very active and noticeable with players in the league, right now theres a new group of very talented players that are starting to arise. It is a matter of time for us to see more profesional global Puerto Rican players, he explains. Brands are missing out on opportunities to connect with the U.S.H. audience because these big players are just starting to emerge and are recently being noticed and followed by MLB fans.
We are in the exact time in which we can see the potential [of the Caribbean players] in the long run, Jorge Cabezas, GFR Media, General Manager, adds.
The way we try to connect with the Caribbean fan base is first through our social media accounts. Theyre being followed by Latinos all over the world, thus we specifically try to highlight our Hispanic players. We have some Cuban players and tons of Venezuelans and Dominicans, adds Rawitch. We know when we are sending out messages on social media, we are interacting heavily with fans from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
Subscribe to Portadas weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
The second way the D-Backs are connecting with Caribbean Hispanics is through their local baseball academy in the Dominican Republic. In fact, all30 major league clubs have baseball academies there, according to Anthony Salazar, chair of the Latino baseball committee.
We go down there for graduation every January or February. Moreover, we do a second trip when we do a clinic in the Dominican Republic or well do public appearances, explains Rawitch.
As a matter of fact, Digo Hispanic Media recently announced their exclusive partnership with NGL Collective, focused on custom content generation.
Their first docuseries named Las Academias, explores the beautiful island of the Dominican Republic along with the small towns scouting for talented hopefuls. These athletes each and every day train at one of the 30 major league youth training camps across the island.
Brands will have access to sponsor these content series via our sales team and we will insert them in the story to ensure their brand and products are showcased in a relevant and engaging manner, said Aisha Burgos, SVP of Sales & Marketing for Digo Hispanic Media.
It seems that the league and its teams are already reaching out to their Hispanic and Caribbean Hispanic fans. So, whats happening with brands?
Most brands recognize that outside of soccer, baseball is probably the second most followed sport in Latin America. However, in some countries like Cuba or DR, it is even bigger, believes Rawitch. Simply, look at the sheer volume of people who are following baseball from the Caribbean. If youre a company looking to communicate with them, it makes sense to find your way there through a major league team, for instance.
According to Google Trends, in the past 12 months the words baseball, beisbol and pelota were the most searched the most in countries like the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panam & Venezuela. Baseball runs in our blood. This represents a huge opportunity that brands need to take advantage of, said Romano.
Go here to see the original:
- Caribbean Photo of the Week: A Waterfall in Jamaica - Caribbean Journal - November 17th, 2019
- Is Venezuela Becoming the Libya of the Caribbean? - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - November 17th, 2019
- 20 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit Today - The Trend Spotter - November 17th, 2019
- Internationalisation of TTIs in the Caribbean - University World News - November 17th, 2019
- Joanna Lumley To Uncover The Hidden Caribbean In Her Latest Adventure For ITV - Deadline - November 17th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- This Indian version of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is too infectious for words - Classic FM - November 17th, 2019
- BVI Food Fete Offers a Tantalizing Taste of the Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 17th, 2019
- Viceroy to Open Caribbean Overwater Bungalow Resort in 2021 - Caribbean Journal - November 17th, 2019
- Pirates of the Caribbean Child Actor Dominic Scott Kay Is Now Grown Up and Making Country Music - The Epoch Times - November 17th, 2019
- Beyond the beach: 10 Caribbean adventures for restless travellers - The Telegraph - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Destinations in the Caribbean - TravelersToday - November 17th, 2019
- Panorama of Food and Nutritional Security in Latin America and the Caribbean - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Carnival Fascination to Sail New Caribbean Itineraries - Cruise Hive - November 17th, 2019
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Weekly Situation Update (4-11 November 2019) As of 11 November 2019 - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Montauk Meets The Caribbean: Navy Beach Opens In St.Thomas And St. Maarten - Forbes - October 20th, 2019
- Study explores why Caribbean adults have higher hypertension rates - Yale News - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean Shows the Way to a Renewable Future - Greentech Media News - October 20th, 2019
- Two Universities Sign Historic Agreement on Slavery Reparations in the Caribbean - The Good Men Project - October 20th, 2019
- This Top Caribbean Eco-Resort Is Returning in 2020 - Caribbean Journal - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbeans Adventure of the Seas requests help from Coast Guard off Jersey Shore - USA TODAY - October 20th, 2019
- Best Snorkeling and Scuba Destinations in the Caribbean - Fodor's Travel - October 20th, 2019
- Karen Gillan Being Eyed To Lead Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot - We Got This Covered - October 20th, 2019
- 'Dancing With the Stars': James Van Der Beek's Kids Adorably Recreate His 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Routine - PopCulture.com - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean, India's Golden Triangle, safari in southern Africa and other holiday favourites - The Times - October 20th, 2019
- Tropical Storm Nestor: Will swirling vortex reach the Caribbean? - Express.co.uk - October 20th, 2019
- Tiny Caribbean Island is the Only Place with Cist Graves in the Americas - Ancient Origins - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean Stock Will Outperform, Analyst Says - Barron's - October 20th, 2019
- The best beach islands are in the Caribbean - Cleveland Jewish News - August 25th, 2017
- Caribbean jerk chicken and a savory side - Auburn Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Walk in the Footsteps of Alexander Hamilton on This Tiny Caribbean Island - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- A Taste Of The Caribbean In Philadelphia - CBS Philly - August 20th, 2017
- African slaves were both medical guinea pigs and scientists on ... - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Harvey Could Rebound in the Western Caribbean; Two Other Areas Are Being Monitored For Tropical Development - Wunderground.com (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical cyclone expected Thursday from wave nearing Caribbean - Miami Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Caribbean Premier League 2017: 5 players who performed well during Week Two - Yahoo Cricket - August 20th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 20, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey forms east of the Caribbean, forecasters say - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Hero Caribbean Premier League brings top-tier cricket to Lauderhill - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' on Royal Caribbean cruise during total solar eclipse - Fox News - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean CEO: College taught me the right way to protest - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean ramping up China efforts with new super-ship - Asia Times - August 18th, 2017
- Triple tropical threat looms in the Atlantic, Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean reveals name of newest cruise ship for China and celebrates steel cutting ceremony - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- 'Muslim Origins in the Caribbean' lectures to be held at university - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Has rail a future in the Caribbean? - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean will feature Bonnie Tyler singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on Total Eclipse cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Spotted: Deluxe Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package combo - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Deloitte Selects Miami Based Unified Technologies for Caribbean Cyber Security Alliance - IoT Evolution World (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Is the business class taking over Caribbean politics? - Antigua Observer - August 14th, 2017
- Conversations about women's sexuality in carnival culture - Caribbean Life - August 14th, 2017
- Player feedback results in the return of PokerStars Caribbean Adventure - World Casino Directory - August 14th, 2017
- The District becomes Caribbean island paradise - Quad-Cities Online - August 13th, 2017
- Caribbean Filmmakers Stepping Up* - Trinidad & Tobago Express - August 13th, 2017
- AP PHOTOS: Editor selections from Latin America, Caribbean - New Jersey Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- Report shows amount Caribbean states paid firms to lobby the US - WIC News - August 13th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean offering instant savings and Oasis Class bonuses for weekend Sail Away Sale - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Feasting Through the Western Caribbean on Carnival's Vista - The Daily Meal - August 10th, 2017
- Critically endangered staghorn corals are benefiting from coral gardening in the Caribbean - Mongabay.com - August 10th, 2017
- Seafood festival with Caribbean accent comes to town - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - August 9th, 2017
- Air France adds Caribbean route from Atlanta - USA TODAY - August 9th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - PR Newswire (press release) - August 9th, 2017
- Tropical systems to unleash torrential downpours in northern Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 9th, 2017
- Sak Pase! Rihanna's Thick New Bod Shuts Down Caribbean Carnival - Wetpaint - August 9th, 2017
- Orange Hosts Grand Caribbean Festival & Parade - TAPinto.net - August 9th, 2017
- Top things to do on a sea day on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- State worker faked injuries, went kayaking in Caribbean, IG says ... - Albany Times Union - August 8th, 2017
- Liddick: Look to the Caribbean to see America's future (column) - Summit Daily News - August 8th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Franklin forms in western Caribbean, hurricane watches posted for Mexico - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean plans beach enhancements at private destination of Labadee - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- International fugitive who bilked $130K out of elderly people arrested in SC - The State - August 6th, 2017
- "Talking the Tropics With Mike": Tropical disturbance in Caribbean - Aug. 6th - ActionNewsJax.com - August 6th, 2017
- Puerto Rican island is a Caribbean paradise without the frills [column] - LancasterOnline - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 6, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- COO Goldstein Sells Over $14000000 in Royal Caribbean Stock - Cruise Law News - August 6th, 2017
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Bring Their PDA to the Caribbean on Barbados Vacation - Entertainment Tonight - August 6th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - Palm Beach Post (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas Adding Havana, Cuba As Port of Call In 2019 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 6th, 2017