Mark Giordano is doing his best to remain in contact with his teammates during the NHL pause, but the Calgary Flames captain knows some things are out of his control.
The Flames defenseman was one of seven captains among the eight players who each represented his Pacific Division team during one of two video calls organized by the NHL on Friday, the 15th day since the League announced March 12 it would pause the season because of concerns about the coronavirus.
"I'd say Zac Rinaldo and big [Milan] Lucic are the two who get the chat going every day and once one guy starts it never stops," Giordano said. "The phone just buzzes the whole day. I've been having trouble keeping my phone alive because there are so many texts coming in and buzzing my phone, but it's great we have this.
"We have this technology now where you can FaceTime and do all this stuff and at least somewhat stay connected. We have what the team updates through emails ... to keep us posted. But not much has been changed, so it's been weird, but at least we can do things like this and stay connected a little bit."
Edmonton Oilers captain Connor McDavid, whose 97 points (34 goals, 63 assists) are second in the NHL behind teammate Leon Draisaitl's 110, said players remain in contact with each other, but he prefers other activities.
"There are a couple of guys left in Edmonton and I've gotten together with (defenseman) Darnell Nurse and gone outside for runs ... we keep our 6-feet distance and don't get any closer than that," McDavid said. "We can still go outside for a run. It's not exactly Arizona (weather) here yet, but at least we can go outside and get a workout in."
Video: Pacific Division stars discuss NHL Pause
San Jose Sharks captain Logan Couture said he's been texting 40-year-old forward Joe Thornton regularly to check up on him.
"I don't know how he's surviving," Couture said. "He's got ADD (attention deficit disorder), for sure, and when he can't go to the rink, he's lost."
Vancouver Canucks captain Bo Horvat, who is third on the Canucks in goals (22) and tied for third in points (53), said he's involved in several group chats with players.
"We have 100 chats that keep getting started and restarted, so I have a lot of messages on my phone coming from everywhere," Horvat said. "There are a lot of chirps and joking around like we would in the locker room. Everybody is missing the game, wanting to get back and play hockey as soon as possible. Everybody is trying to do what's best for their families, keeping them safe and ride this thing out until everything is safe and ready to go."
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf, and father of four, is busy enough even without arranging chat sessions with teammates. Getzlaf was busy making sure his kids were safe while on the video call after they took the family golf cart into the backyard of their California home to check out the chicken coop that dad is building from scratch.
"[The chat sessions with teammates] only stays serious for about two questions and then someone starts being a you-know-what," Getzlaf said.
Arizona Coyotes captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson is not a fan of group texts.
"We haven't had any FaceTime sessions or anything, it's more group chat and texts, and there's a lot of chirping going on in that group chat," he said. "I'm actually thinking about deleting it because there's a lot of weird pictures and stuff like that.
"It's a lot of fun though. It keeps you busy and you can stay connected."
Continue reading here:
- Apple CEO Tim Cook on the nexus of technology and social change - CBS News - June 21st, 2020
- From Microsoft to the iPhone, getting technology right for 25 years - CNET - June 21st, 2020
- With schools closed, immigrant communities struggle with access to technology and connection - Summit Daily News - June 21st, 2020
- Ford's electric Mustang will offer hands-free driving technology next year - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Carbon capture technology is an elusive dream - The Durango Herald - June 21st, 2020
- Microsoft and SAS announce deep technology partnership - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2020
- Why tech didnt save us from covid-19 - MIT Technology Review - June 21st, 2020
- China and India need each other. Just look at technology - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Expert view: Technology is a blessing and a curse when it comes to global cybersecurity threats - Stockhead - June 21st, 2020
- Scientists split over which disease to put in 6G technology - The Big Smoke Australia - June 21st, 2020
- Inside the NBA's plan to use smart technology and big data to keep players safe from coronavirus - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- The West is being naive about China's use of technology in this looming cold war - iNews - June 21st, 2020
- Leonardo and Intermarine to research and develop new technologies - Naval Technology - June 21st, 2020
- While Dems and GOP squabble over extending $600 unemployment benefits, outdated technology may slow any solution - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Intl. Conference on Recent Trends in Science and Technology held - Star of Mysore - June 21st, 2020
- Methyl Glucose Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- NHS Covid app developers 'tried to block rival symptom trackers' - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: 5 technologies inspired by the pandemic - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Technology Will Not Save Us - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- Amid a new technology normal, gaps and gratitude for the devices that sustain us - Citizen Times - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Technology: Commonly Used Terms - EFF - May 2nd, 2020
- Salon turns to dry fog technology to kill coronavirus ahead of reopening - FOX 31 Denver - May 2nd, 2020
- A brief history of video and technology in baseball, and how it helped teams steal signs - The Boston Globe - May 2nd, 2020
- How South Korea has used tech to successfully contain COVID-19 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 2nd, 2020
- AI proven to be invaluable technology during pandemic - Khaleej Times - May 2nd, 2020
- The Use Of Technology And Future Of Work Has Changed Because Of COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Airport Operations Market by Technology and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - May 2nd, 2020
- Apple must expand its COVID tracing technology into large scale testing - AppleInsider - May 2nd, 2020
- A 'pandemic drone' and other technology could help limit the spread of coronavirus and ease restrictions sooner, but at what cost? - ABC News - May 2nd, 2020
- Highlights from Hegeman: Getting rural Missouri the technology it needs - The Maryville Forum - May 2nd, 2020
- 15-year-olds life mission preserved through foundation providing technology to children in need - NJ.com - May 2nd, 2020
- The US already has the technology to test millions of people a day - MIT Technology Review - May 2nd, 2020
- Electric Car BYD Han To Have More Range With New Battery Technology - Fossbytes - May 2nd, 2020
- The neuroscience of loneliness and how technology is helping us - The Next Web - May 2nd, 2020
- Stimulus checks and other coronavirus relief hindered by dated technology and rocky government rollout - SF Gate - April 23rd, 2020
- Australias Fire Season Ends, and Researchers Look to the Next One - The New York Times - April 23rd, 2020
- US lawmaker says any COVID-19 contact tracing technology should be voluntary and limited - Gadgets Now - April 23rd, 2020
- Summerside convention brings new technology to the field - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Alexa turn on the lights;' how to add smart technology to your home - SW News Media - April 18th, 2020
- How Las Cruces Public Schools is providing technology to 1 in 5 students who need it - KVIA El Paso - April 18th, 2020
- China's strategy to reorient US tech companies is exposed what next? | TheHill - The Hill - April 18th, 2020
- How China used technology to combat COVID-19 and tighten its grip on citizens - Amnesty International - April 18th, 2020
- The importance of technology in banking during a crisis | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - April 18th, 2020
- Lux Communities leaning on technology amidst coronavirus pandemic - INFORUM - April 18th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 the push businesses need to fast-track technology adoption? - ZDNet - April 18th, 2020
- Doctor calls technology 'instrumental' in tracking the spread of COVID-19 - WBAY - April 18th, 2020
- The neuroscience of loneliness and how technology is helping us - The Conversation UK - April 18th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Signs Bill Expanding Access to Standing Technology - WEAU - April 18th, 2020
- QQQX: Technology And 'High Yield' To Beat The Markets After We Beat COVID-19 - Seeking Alpha - April 18th, 2020
- I Think It Could Be A Game Changer | Frederick Company Develops Technology To Disinfect N95 Masks - CBS Baltimore - April 18th, 2020
- Mayor of London backed tech start-up used to make 'deep fakes' - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- The expansion of mass surveillance to stop coronavirus should worry us all - The Guardian - April 18th, 2020
- While We've Been in Lockdown, Solar Cell Technology Has Smashed Three Big Records - ScienceAlert - April 18th, 2020
- How new technology in Data Science is impacting the life of Data Scientists - YourStory - April 18th, 2020
- Four technologies Japan and the US should team on to counter China - C4ISRNet - April 18th, 2020
- Activist investor Starboard, which has track record of big returns in tech, finds its next target - CNBC - April 18th, 2020
- Sheriff Robert L. Langley, Jr. Reports License Plate Reader Technology Crucial to Discovery of Two Vehicles Reported Stolen - HamletHub - April 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus Contact Tracing: Apple and Google Team Up to Enable Virus Tracking - The New York Times - April 18th, 2020
- 'We are all interconnected': Coronavirus is reshaping our relationship with technology - Sydney Morning Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Nation-building through engineering and technology education - The Star Online - April 18th, 2020
- How you and your technology can help fight Covid-19 - The Irish Times - April 18th, 2020
- InteliCare seeks to bring its AI-based aged care monitoring technology to the ASX - Small Caps - April 18th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and the environmental crisis: 'Can technology really save the world?', asks Tayside expert - The Courier - April 18th, 2020
- More than 20,000 computers loaned to students to learn from home - Business in Vancouver - April 18th, 2020
- Have we allowed technology to become another family member? - Daily Monitor - April 18th, 2020
- Technology - Wikipedia - April 11th, 2020
- Tech 24 - Hacking the Covid-19 crisis: The role of technology - FRANCE 24 - April 11th, 2020
- National Geographic's Technology Comes to TC Williams - The Zebra - April 11th, 2020
- Religious leaders are using technology to connect with congregations during Holy Week - Long Beach Post - April 11th, 2020
- How a 5G Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory Fueled Arson and Harassment in Britain - The New York Times - April 11th, 2020
- Using technology to celebrate the holiday | Pandemic 2020 - Barre Montpelier Times Argus - April 11th, 2020
- The technology Utah is using to track the coronavirus - ABC 4 - April 11th, 2020
- Technology-Enabled Mission Command: Keeping up with the (John Paul) Joneses - War on the Rocks - April 11th, 2020
- Realtors Use Technology To Connect With Clients Amid COVID-19 - KVRR - April 11th, 2020
- David Basulto Discusses Archdaily, Technology and Design Thinking in Inspiring Design Podcast - ArchDaily - April 11th, 2020
- Specialization, technology and culture erode traditions, discourage participation - The Herald Bulletin - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How technology and apps could allow the UK to leave lockdown but impose new restrictions of their own - The Independent - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus could finally unleash innovative promise of 21st century technology - Washington Examiner - April 11th, 2020
- Rabbis allowing Zoom, technology on Passover during quarantine - MyNorthwest.com - April 11th, 2020
- Mixed Reality Technologies To Reshape The Workplace Of The Next Decade - Forbes - April 11th, 2020