On Wednesday night, Daniel and Henrik Sedin were officially enshrined in Vancouver Canucks immortality, as they watched No. 22 and No. 33 get raised to the rafters of Rogers Arena.
When the twins retired two years ago, there was no doubt that the franchise would eventually retire their numbers. They are by far the two greatest players in Canucks history, and well never see a dynamic duo like this ever again.
The question now is if Daniel and Henrik will receive the even greater honour of getting inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Theyll be eligible in 2021, and the debate has already begun.
When it comes to voting players in, there are plenty of factors that must be taken into account. Did a player win enough individual hardware? Were they among the top three or five at their position in any point of their careers? Were they dominant enough for a long period of time?
The Sedins check all of those boxes.
Henrik won the Art Ross Trophy after scoring 112 points in 2009-10, and he became the first and only Canuck to date to win the Hart Trophy. One year later, Daniel won the scoring title with 104 points, but Corey Perry beat him out for the Hart.
Daniel, however, won the 2010-11 Lester B. Pearson Award (now the Ted Lindsay Award), whichis given to themost outstanding player in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the National Hockey League Players Association.
Henrik won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy during the 2015-16 season for his work and contributions on and off the ice. The twins captured the award together in 2017-18, their swan song season.
And yes, both were top three or five at their respective positions (Henrik a center, Daniel a winger) at some point specifically from 2008-09 to 2012-13. Daniel had four seasons of 80-plus points, and seven of 70-plus points. Henrik hit 90-plus points twice, 80-plus points five times and 70-plus points eight times.
Consistency should get you to the Hall, and consistent they were.
The Sedin twins guided Vancouver to consecutive Presidents Trophy-winning seasons in 2010-11 and 2011-12. They were, of course, just one game short of capturing the Stanley Cup in 2011. If Vancouver had defeated the Boston Bruins in Game 7, this wouldnt be a debate right now.
Henrik is the franchise leader in games played (1,330), assists (830) and points (1,070). Daniel (1,041 career points) is the all-time Canucks leader in goals (393), power play goals (138) and game-winning goals (86). Being part of the 1,000-point club truly goes a long way in strengthening your Hall of Fame case, too.
Really, there shouldnt be much of a debate. Daniel and Henrik Sedin belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Their decade-long dominance, consistency, accolades and places in the franchise record books make it an easy decision.
They may not receive the call in 2021, and maybe not even in 2022 or 2023. Other greats and former superstars like Daniel Alfredsson, Theoren Fleury and Alexander Mogilny are still waiting, but they should get in eventually.
But when all is said and done, Daniel and Henrik Sedin did more than enough to receive calls into the Hall of Fame. If you ask me, its a matter of when the two Vancouver legends get in, not if.
The rest is here:
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Boost your spirits with fun rom-coms - Boston Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- Neutralize COVID-19 hysteria with faith and kindness toward neighbors - Washington Times - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020
- Features | Strange World Of... | The Strange World Of... Tom Smith/ To Live And Shave In LA - The Quietus - February 27th, 2020
- Mocking mediocrity - The New Indian Express - February 27th, 2020
- Three more movies coming in 2020 you need to check out - The Badger Herald - February 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Maula Jatt not for faint hearted, children: Bilal Lashari - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- The 100-year life: how to prolong a healthy mind - The Guardian - February 27th, 2020
- The Philosophy of Julia Ward Howe - zocalopublicsquare.org - February 27th, 2020
- Story Time: The prophecy of eternity - DAWN.com - February 27th, 2020
- 'Altered Carbon': Takeshi Kovacs is the definitive and imperfect sci-fi hero of this generation - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Celtics will retire Kevin Garnett's No. 5 next season - 98.5 The Sports Hub - February 14th, 2020
- Should Liverpool start Curtis Jones vs Norwich - Rousing The Kop - Liverpool FC News - February 14th, 2020
- Lost Odyssey Brilliantly Explores The Tragedy Of Being Immortal - Kotaku Australia - February 14th, 2020
- Ageing is 'optional' amid emerging economy for immortality - The National - February 13th, 2020
- Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool close to immortality - but their lasting legacy is already painted across Merseyside - Liverpool Echo - February 13th, 2020
- After Legendary Career With Boston College, Brian Gionta Will Be Immortalized This Weekend - Sports Illustrated - February 13th, 2020
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: What has the original cast done since? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Understanding 'Afsos': What Does This Gulshan Devaiah Dark Comedy Want To Say? - Mashable India - February 13th, 2020
- 'Afsos' Review: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells the Tale? - - Rolling Stone India - February 13th, 2020
- Lost Odyssey Brilliantly Explores The Tragedy Of Being Immortal - Kotaku - February 13th, 2020
- Mo Isom speaks on intimacy during Convocation week - Lee Clarion Online - February 13th, 2020
- Popular music festivals from around the world for music lovers - Republic World - Republic World - February 13th, 2020
- Canucks: 3 takeaways from 3-0 shutout win over Blackhawks - The Canuck Way - February 13th, 2020
- In Amazon web series Afsos, black humour and a high body count on the road to immortality - Scroll.in - February 13th, 2020
- Its that time when love is in the air - The New Indian Express - February 13th, 2020
- Ghost Knight: A Dark Tale is a new 2.5D action platformer, powered by Unreal Engine 4 - DSOGaming - February 13th, 2020
- Jenny Offill's Novel Weather Looks at "Climate Dread" with Humor and Plenty of Gloom - TheStranger.com - February 13th, 2020
- The Mysteries of the Sh'ma - Mosaic - February 13th, 2020
- Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones has finally quit smoking - Tone Deaf - February 13th, 2020
- A Cyberpunk 2077 Themed Xbox One Controller Could Be On Its Way - Player.One - February 13th, 2020
- Fame, immortality and a paw: The Tiger Trail - The Auburn Plainsman - January 27th, 2020
- GELFAND: on Tom Brady and Immortality - Zone Coverage - January 27th, 2020
- Remembering Rob Rensenbrink: the overlooked Dutch master who came within inches of immortality - These Football Times - January 27th, 2020
- Stockton at heart of Braden's immortality with A's - MLB.com - January 27th, 2020
- The Good Place FINALLY Revealed (Yep, It's Disappointing) - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2020
- Immortality | Definition of Immortality by Merriam-Webster - January 16th, 2020
- Immortality | Superpower Wiki | Fandom - January 16th, 2020
- Chip Walter is dying for you to read his new book on immortality. Or is he? - NEXTpittsburgh - January 16th, 2020
- Will immortality take place by 2050? | Columns - Grand Haven Tribune - January 16th, 2020
- Immortality: Lowry and Arcidiacono to Have Their Numbers Retired in February - Villanovan - January 16th, 2020
- On the brink of immortality | LSU - American Press - January 16th, 2020
- Liverpool are already a masterpiece: next goal after the title - immortality - Telegraph.co.uk - January 16th, 2020
- Williams and Baldens new X-FACTOR series to explore mutant immortality in the Marvel U - Comics Beat - January 16th, 2020
- PLAYLIST: A celebration of dance pop and the immortality of 'Tala' - Rappler - January 16th, 2020
- Eagles great Harold Carmichael on making the Hall of Fame: 'I feel like I'm dreaming' - CBS Sports - January 16th, 2020
- Steve Aoki to Perform at the Agora in March - Cleveland Scene - January 16th, 2020
- Sealed for Your Protections - North Bay Bohemian - January 16th, 2020
- 2020: The Year of the AI-Powered User Experience - Datanami - January 16th, 2020
- Disintegrations Closed and Open Beta Dates Announced for Later This Month - PlayStation LifeStyle - January 16th, 2020
- Klay Thompson to be joined by Warriors teammate Curry at WSU jersey retirement Saturday - FOX 28 Spokane - January 16th, 2020
- Corofin primed for All Ireland in bid to create history - Galway Advertiser - January 16th, 2020
- Blade of the Immortal Episode 15 Release Date, Streaming, and Preview - Otakukart News - January 16th, 2020
- Will Marvel Again Show Love Story Of Dark Phoenix And Wolverine? - Pop Culture Times - January 16th, 2020
- How childhood friends and star WRs Marvin Mims and Jaxon Smith-Njigba wound up on the doorstep of Texas football immortality - The Dallas Morning News - December 13th, 2019
- The humming bug that has bitten one and all - Telegraph India - December 13th, 2019
- Ranking the 10 Stanley Cup championship teams of the 2010s: Blackhawks dynasty, Ovechkin's Caps and more - CBS Sports - December 13th, 2019
- 'Influencing is heading into the void': Natasha Stagg and Kate Durbin on the future of social media - Document Journal - December 13th, 2019