Image Credit: Shutterstock.com/ SJ Travel Photo and Video
Access to clean, safe drinking water is thought to be a basic human right. Yet, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 785 million people across the globe are without access to a basic drinking-water source. This has researchers around the world researching and developing a series of water treatment solutions and applications using nanotechnology.
Current WHO statistics are damning, making this an issue that must be addressed urgently as it is thought that around 2 billion people are using a contaminated water supply. In addition, over 485,000 people die each year from diarrhoeal related illnesses and diseases such as polio, typhoid, and cholera are once again being transmitted as a further consequence. Based on current trends and data, it is thought that by 2025 half of the total global population will be living in water-stressed or water-scarce areas.
While there are a wide-range of effective water purification methods and techniques including boiling, filtration, oxidation, and distillation, these often require high amounts of energy. Other treatment processes may include the use of chemical agents which is only possible in areas with an infrastructure that is up to par.
The more affordable and portable devices currently available are not always fit for purpose as they cannot guarantee 100% removal of harmful viruses, bacteria, dust, and even microplastics. So, it is thought that nanotechnology could offer affordable and accessible clean water solutions to the worlds most vulnerable populations.
Nanotechnology is a process that involves manipulating and controlling matter on the atomic scale. In the process of water purification, this involves using nanomembranes to soften the water and eradicate biological and chemical contaminants as well as other physical particles and molecules.
Whats more is that nanotechnology is portable and can be incorporated into existing commercial devices which increases the likelihood that nanotech solutions could become a feasible option for areas of the developing world and places with limited infrastructure.
In recent years scientists have improved on conventional methods that use coagulants by taking their cues from nature, notably the ocean dwelling Actinia organism. Traditional coagulants, such as aluminum sulfate and other metallic salts can pull out larger contaminants by causing them to group together and settle. However, this method is not effective for smaller particles and molecules and often requires additional methods to ensure the water is clean. Thereby increasing the cost and use of energy as several techniques are required to ensure the water is safe.
Using nanocoagulants, scientists were able to synthesize organic and inorganic matter to replicate the structure of the Actina sea anemone. The researchers produced a reversable core-shell that can catch larger particles as well as the smaller ones when it turns inside-out. This is also a one-step process which removes the need for additional technologies and opens up the potential for minimizing water purification costs.
Another viable method of water purification currently in development that makes use of nanotechnology includes utilizing magnetically active nanoparticles to extract chemicals from water. The process enables the removal of toxins from drinking-water contaminants attracting nanoparticles that consist of magnetic phases. This solution would also be low-energy and could provide an economic advantage as well as health and environmental benefits.
Other proposals for nanotech solutions include using nanoparticles to break down microplastics and a rapid nano-filter that can clean dirty water 100 times faster than current methods. Researchers are also aware that most water purification methods require access to a constant electricity supply, but this can be a significant obstacle in places with limited infrastructure or areas damaged by extreme weather conditions.
One such approach is the creation of a self-sustaining biofoam that conducts heat and electricity by combining bacteria-produced cellulose with graphene oxide. The graphene-fused foam draws water up to the surface via the cellulose layer which accelerates evaporation. This results in a layer of freshwater which can be easily collected and is safe to drink. The biofoam is also lightweight and relatively inexpensive to manufacture making it an attractive alternative to conventional methods.
Thus, as the need for clean, safe water is very much still an urgent global issue, nanotech solutions offer new and essential possibilities for the water treatment industry. The next phase of development is the scaling up of nanotechnologies to improve access to clean water. Perhaps then the future can be one that offers a new hope to the expanding global population experiencing water-stressed and water-scarce conditions.
The rest is here:
- Nanotech Presenting at the Sidoti Virtual Microcap Conference for Investors on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Superbug infections in poultry under the microscope - Poultry World - May 14th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Demand, Research and Top Leading Player to 2026 | COVID-19 Analysis | Airbus,Glonatech,Flight Shield,Lockheed... - May 14th, 2021
- You Need to Know About the Top 5 Trends in Pharmaceutical Analysis - EuroScientist - May 14th, 2021
- IBM makes another major chip breakthrough in Albany - Times Union - May 11th, 2021
- Nanotechnology Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech - May 11th, 2021
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Dupont & Co., 3M Company, Toyobo Co., Ltd., Advanced Nano Products... - April 13th, 2021
- Taiwan Advanced Nanotech's (GTSM:6797) Solid Profits Have Weak Fundamentals - Simply Wall St - April 11th, 2021
- Nanotech increasing pace of development in Iran - Tehran Times - April 4th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2021-2027 Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Potential Growth, Demand and Forecast The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 4th, 2021
- University of Houston to install nanotech-coated air filters on campus to prevent COVID-19 spread - InnovationMap - March 31st, 2021
- Brain implant firm wins 12m with Manchester nanotech - The University of Manchester - March 31st, 2021
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to witness Huge Growth with Projected Airbus, NASA, Sila Nanotechnologies, Cella Energy The Bisouv... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Airbus, NASA, Sila... - March 31st, 2021
- Lithium Chile And Summit Nanotech Announce Signing of Definitive Agreement for Their Joint Pilot Project in Chile - Junior Mining Network - March 9th, 2021
- Glass Coatings Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key players like Arkema, Covestro, Opticote, NanoTech Coatings, CCM GmbH, PPG... - March 9th, 2021
- Healthcare Industry: Global Dip-pen Nanolithography Market 2020 Analysis By Regional, Outlook, Competitive Landscape Strategies And Forecast 2027... - March 9th, 2021
- Conductive Inks Market Assessment and Key Insights Analyzed till 2026| Keyplayers : DuPont., Sun Chemical Corp, PPG Industries, Henkel AG, and Applied... - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Masterbatches Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Unidym, Nanocyl, Cnano, canatu,... - February 8th, 2021
- Nanotech Announces Brand Protection Win from Canadian Vita - GlobeNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- Nanotech Powered Mass Testing Now the Key to Unlocking COVID-19 Lockdowns - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- World Cancer Day: From Immunotherapy, vaccines to nanotech, new treatments that show promise against disease - Firstpost - February 6th, 2021
- Latest water purification technologies - top five - Water Technology - February 6th, 2021
- Indias world No. 3 in nanotech research, but... - Gadgets Now - January 17th, 2021
- Investment in AI and nanotech surges in wake of COVID-19 - IT Brief New Zealand - January 9th, 2021
- NS Nanotech Teams Up with Kryptolights to Offer Far-UVC Sterilization for a Host of Consumer and Commercial Applications - PR Web - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Industry COVID 19 Analysis, Growth Trends and Forecast 2020-2026: Glonatech, Flight Shield, Lockheed Martin,... - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market COVID 19 Increse Factors Outlook, Key Growth Trends on Ke Players and Forecast to 2026: Airbus, Glonatech, Flight... - January 9th, 2021
- 7 Nanotech Stocks To Buy With Huge Returns in Store - Investorplace.com - January 3rd, 2021
- NS Nanotech and UV Ray Lights Partner to Bring New UV Tech to Conferences and Corporate Events - PR Web - January 3rd, 2021
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces It Is Investigating Claims Against Sona Nanotech Inc. and Encourages Investors with Losses of... - November 29th, 2020
- Sona Nanotech Withdraws Health Canada Application For COVID-19 Test Due To Feedback From Regulator - The Deep Dive - November 29th, 2020
- Hull firm's nanotech solution aims to stop Covid spread in its tracks - Business Live - November 29th, 2020
- How Top Nanotechnology companies are contributing to fight against Covid-19 in India - APN News - November 29th, 2020
- In-Depth Research on Aerospace Nanotechnology Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Airbus , Glonatech , Flight Shield , Lockheed Martin, and... - November 29th, 2020
- CNTs Conductive Paste Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Protective Implant Coating Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Nanogate, Nanomech,... - November 29th, 2020
- Dynamic tattoos promise to warn wearers of health threats - yoursun.com - October 2nd, 2020
- A new nanotech wireless mobile phone charger is expected to enter Malaysia market by mid-2021 - TechNave - October 2nd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Aluminum Conductors Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Bio-Gate, Cima NanoTech, Inframat,... - October 2nd, 2020
- The Future Of The Face Mask - Bluetooth, In-built Cooling, Nanotech Filters In The Mask As People Are Learning To Live With Covid-19 - Inventiva - July 21st, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials Market 2020 and estimated to grow in near Future, Growth, Supply Demand and Analysis by Types 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 21st, 2020
- Nanometals Market 2020 By Regional Trend and Growth Forecast To 2026| Reinste, Eprui Nanomaterials & Microspheres, Baikowski, ABC Nanotech, Amag... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market 2020 Applications, SWOT Analysis, Remarkable Growth and Competitive Landscape by 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Market Innovative Report Growth impact over the forecast year 2020 to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market Growth with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2019-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Nanotech injections successfully restore vision in blind rats - Digital Trends - July 15th, 2020
- These are 8 of the most fashionable face masks you can buy - from Nanotech to Reebok and Etsy - News Post Leader - July 15th, 2020
- Aircraft Nano Coating Market Report 2020: Acute Analysis of Global Demand and Supply 2025 with Major Key Player: AnCatt, Applied Thin Films,... - July 15th, 2020
- The evolution of how Marvel animated Iron Man - Business Insider Australia - July 15th, 2020
- Global Stretchable Conductive Material Market Report 2020 With Industry Positioning of Key Vendors : DuPont, 3M, Toyobo, Advanced Nano Products,... - April 14th, 2020
- Smoltek's subscription warrants TO 2 give the right to subscribe for shares with a 30 percent discount - marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Dots Market Research Report 2020-2025 - Breakdown by Healthcare, Optoelectronics, LED Lighting, Solar Modules, and Other End-use... - April 6th, 2020
- Metro Hits 52-week High on Campaign to Stop Hunger - Baystreet.ca - April 6th, 2020
- Nanotechnology Industry Insights & Outlook, 2020-2024 by Component, Application and Region - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market upcoming business reports on size, shares, stocks and many more | forecasting report 2026 - New Day... - March 4th, 2020
- In the Information Economy, Value Is Decreasingly In The Numbers - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - January 26th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2020 : What are the key opportunities? - Weekly Wall - January 26th, 2020
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market will rise at the CAGR of 75.00% with Top Competitors DuPont & Co.,3M,Applied Nanotech ANP Corporation and... - January 18th, 2020
- Massive tender scam sucks in top officials - Zimbabwe Independent - December 18th, 2019
- Aluminum Heat Transfer Material Market Upcoming Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast from 2019-2025 | Alcoa, Granges, Applied Nanotech - The Connect... - November 30th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Industry analysis and forecast (2018-2026) - BeetleVersion - November 30th, 2019
- Renowned researcher, UTRGV professor blazes trail from Monterrey to White House to TedXMcAllen - Monitor - November 9th, 2019
- The Nanotechnology World Association is Launched to Foster Worldwide Collaboration Within This Promising and High Growth Sector - PR Web - October 24th, 2019
- Acrylic Surface Coating Market 2019: Phenomenal Growth - Bio-Gate AG, Cima NanoTech, Nanophase Technologies Corporation - The State News - BBState - October 20th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology Market Future Outlook to 2025 Discussed in New Market Research Report - Markets Gazette - October 20th, 2019
- After years of setbacks, Uticas nanotech project gets $1 billion tenant - WSYR - September 27th, 2019
- Nanotech Security Retires $3.0 Million Note | Investing News Network - Investing News Network (registration) - August 25th, 2017
- Duke combines immunotherapy, tumor-roasting nanotech to vaccinate mice against cancer - Durham Herald Sun - August 25th, 2017
- Is Industrial Nanotech Inc (INTK)'s Triple EMA Building Momentum? - Evergreen Caller - August 25th, 2017
- Immunotherapy, Nanotech Combine to Kill Cancer Cells More ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - August 20th, 2017
- Share Performance Update on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) - Morgan Research - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow ... - Markets Insider - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Demand for ... - PR Newswire UK (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- RMI Signaling Increased Momentum For Nanotech Security Corp (NTSFF) - Lenox Ledger - August 18th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Key Vendors are ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Focusing the Lens on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) Shares: Technical Update - JCTY News - August 14th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to grow at a ... - E News Access (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market - Trends and Forecasts by Technavio - Business Wire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Taking Aim at NanoTech Gaming Inc (NTGL) Shares - FLBC News - August 11th, 2017